HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much resources(time & money) do you feel he has wasted?

Old
05-02-2012, 04:20 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
28.5 million spent this yr on unneccessary commodites ?

lupul
bozak
kessel

mccarthur
grabovsky
kulemin

steckel
connolly - 4.8 mil per wasted
crabb

rosehill
lombardi - 3.5 mil per wasted
armstrong - 3.0 mil per wasted

dupuis - 1.0 mil wasted
orr - 1.0 mil wasted

gunnarsson
phaneuf
gardiner
schenn
liles - 4.0 per wasted
komisarek - 4.5 mil per wasted

finger - 3.5 mil per wasted
Finger was not Burkie's move that was fletcher

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:35 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
28.5 million spent this yr on unneccessary commodites ?

lupul
bozak
kessel

mccarthur
grabovsky
kulemin

steckel
connolly - 4.8 mil per wasted
crabb

rosehill
lombardi - 3.5 mil per wasted
armstrong - 3.0 mil per wasted

dupuis - 1.0 mil wasted
orr - 1.0 mil wasted

gunnarsson
phaneuf
gardiner
schenn
liles - 4.0 per wasted
komisarek - 4.5 mil per wasted

finger - 3.5 mil per wasted
you still need to dress a team. burke took a chance and it didnt work out. the problem is there wasnt a lot out there so burke had to choose from what was available.

if we subtract the players you think are unnecessary our team would look like

lupul bozak kessel
kulemin grabs mac
frattin xxxxxx kadri?
brown steckel crabb

phaneuf gunnarson
gardiner schenn
xxxxxxx holzer

reimer
xxxxxx

who do you plug in where the xxxxxxx are? you can say someone like gausted or kelly would be awsome centering the 3rd line but there is no guarantee they will be available and if they are there is no guarantee they will want to come to toronto.

i guess we will find out considering LAC all go off the books after this season and K after next.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:36 PM
darrylsittler27

An immense waste of money...

Given the product on the ice and that the team itself isn't what he said it would be.His final blast at Leaf nation will be to trade the top 5 pick for an overpaid,over it veteran to save his job.The plan lol?!If there was a plan,it failed.The signing of all those players for huge money,led to the $5.5 million for Grabo.Burke has no foresight,so how can he have a plan?He had to be forced to fire Wilson,how is that a plan?If Bell/Rogers don't fire him,we will have full mutiny next year with empty seats.He has wasted untold millio9ns upon millions and done severe damage to this franchise,no doubt about it.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:48 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Top 10 NHL teams based on Franchise Value:

3 teams of 8 still in the playoffs
#2 NYR, #8 Philly, #10 Los Angelas

#11-20 in value:
2 still in playoffs
#20 New Jersey, #12 Washington

#21-#30
3 still in playoffs
#25 nashville, #27 st Louis, #30 Phoenix

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:51 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Based on Revenue/Year

#2 NYR
#8 Philly
#11 LA
#12 New Jersey
#17 Washington
#23 Nashville
#27 St Louis
#29 Phoenix

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:59 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Given the product on the ice and that the team itself isn't what he said it would be.His final blast at Leaf nation will be to trade the top 5 pick for an overpaid,over it veteran to save his job.The plan lol?!If there was a plan,it failed.The signing of all those players for huge money,led to the $5.5 million for Grabo.Burke has no foresight,so how can he have a plan?He had to be forced to fire Wilson,how is that a plan?If Bell/Rogers don't fire him,we will have full mutiny next year with empty seats.He has wasted untold millio9ns upon millions and done severe damage to this franchise,no doubt about it.
The Plan... Trading for Youth.....coming along perfectly!

To replace a player like Grabo for less than $5.5... Not going to happen.

Mutiny? The waiting list is still 12 years long for seasons tickets!

Damage to the Franchise? All I see is the good! No retirement contracts. Players can be moved by Burke in a whim!

Moving the 5th Overall, Possibly, But I gather you don't listen to Burke, But you are maybe one of the first in line to call him a BLOW-HARD. Burke has said he is NOT trading picks or prospects for "over the hill vets".

Lastly, what ever he wasted was to try and improve the team!!!!! Burke Gave those contracts to players to perform!!!!!! They didn't! But you blame Burke?????

Burkes plan has not failed!!! From what I see it's right on schedule! Too bad you don't.

No matter what Burke SAID!!!! NOT many GM's I can remember in my lifetime turned a sad and sorry team around in 3.5 years! Thats reality. I know better, so I don't care what Burke said!

It takes time....Even for Burke. If Burke is fired this endless MERRY-GO-ROUND will never stop!
Or as most on here say...RINSE AND REPEAT! I'm sure you will be the first in line to say the next GM has failed after 3.5 years.

So I'll say this about you, and your views....RINSE AND REPEAT!!!

Last edited by OlderTimer*: 05-04-2012 at 08:11 PM.
OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:28 PM
pucky

Burke is the worst GM in the League. He might put an official stamp on it by getting Luongo.

He could have had Mike Smith for 2mill/season.

He has an overpaid, mediocre defence. He has a sporadic offense and is still looking for a #1 calibre center. He finally kept a top first round pick so far but he might trade that away as that has been his pattern.

He's also the most overrated GM - by Laef fans.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:08 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
you still need to dress a team. burke took a chance and it didnt work out. the problem is there wasnt a lot out there so burke had to choose from what was available.

if we subtract the players you think are unnecessary our team would look like

lupul bozak kessel
kulemin grabs mac
frattin xxxxxx kadri?
brown steckel crabb

phaneuf gunnarson
gardiner schenn
xxxxxxx holzer

reimer
xxxxxx

who do you plug in where the xxxxxxx are? you can say someone like gausted or kelly would be awsome centering the 3rd line but there is no guarantee they will be available and if they are there is no guarantee they will want to come to toronto.

i guess we will find out considering LAC all go off the books after this season and K after next.
So if we subtract Burke's moves we'd end up with a empty 3rd line Center spot, a #5 defenseman and a backup goalie? That team doesn't look much different from the current team filled with bad contracts.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Kurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
Burke is the worst GM in the League. He might put an official stamp on it by getting Luongo.

He has an overpaid, mediocre defence. He has a sporadic offense and is still looking for a #1 calibre center. He finally kept a top first round pick so far but he might trade that away as that has been his pattern.

He's also the most overrated GM - by Laef fans.
There is no question that Burke is one of the best GMs in the league. To suggest otherwise is laughable.

You measure a GM on 4 things - trades, signings, drafts, and cup wins.

Drafting is 80% luck, yet Burke has drafted the Sedins, Ryan and Gardiner. Few GMs have been more successful than that. (Only one I can think of is Clarke...arguably Holland, but those late round steals are so flukey).

UFA is also 80% luck, as it's the Free agents who have the final say on where they want to go. Still, Burke signed Niedermyer as a UFA. No GM can claim a bigger UFA coup in recent years. Boston with Chara+Savard in one offseason is close. And that's not even to mention the stroke of genious in unloading the washed-up Fedorov to sign prime Selanne...although that was mostly luck, as Teemu wanted to play in ANA.

Trades are 80% GM skill. In virtually all of his trades, Burke absolutely undresses the other GM. It's not even fair. All the Leaf deals but the Kessel deal he has undressed GMS. In the Pronger deal he absolutely undressed Edmonton. What does Edmonton even have to show for that one?

And off course Burke has a recent cup.

By all measures, he's one of the best GM's in the game. This isn't even debatable. He has flaws - a big mouth, a sense of honour that sometime stands in the way of the betterment of his team, and also over-reliance on unproven goalies. That keeps him from being the #1 GM in the business. But he's certainly among the elite.

Kurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
Smith is a product of Pheonix's defense system. If you haven't noticed, Tampa played a similar run and gun system before December of 2010. Yzerman had to trade for Roloson to stabilize his crease.

I would have been extremely pissed if Burke had signed Smith.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Smith is a product of Pheonix's defense system.
It helps that Phoenix tend to limit the opposition's high-quality chances, but Smith has been amazing for the Coyotes. It has little to do with the system, he's just not the same goalie he was for the Lightning and would probably have us in the playoffs right now.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:13 AM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Smith is a product of Pheonix's defense system. If you haven't noticed, Tampa played a similar run and gun system before December of 2010. Yzerman had to trade for Roloson to stabilize his crease.

Yeah i think we can put that myth to bed.

Have you watched any of their games this playoffs? Smith is the sole reason why Phoenix is where they are right now.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Thomas Malthus
The Dismal Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
Yeah i think we can put that myth to bed.

Have you watched any of their games this playoffs? Smith is the sole reason why Phoenix is where they are right now.
Smith has been unreal, that's for sure. But I wouldn't discount the confidence he's gained since coming to a team that doesn't hang him out to dry constantly. Phoenix does its best to smother opposing teams' offense and high quality chances. For a goaltender that has the toolkit but no confidence in his own ability, the result is a virtuous cycle that is, in my opinion, a significant causal factor in the level of Smith's play.

Thomas Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:02 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:

Oh I get it....but guys like Roberto Luongo are not putting up the numbers because they play on President's Trophy winners? Its more like good goalies become Great on good teams. Bad goalies are bad regardless of where they play.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote