HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 4: Rangers vs. Caps-Eastern Conference Semis

Old
05-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Kegger

vCash: 500
What do you guys think regarding Kreider. Excellent talent there though a costly turnover then blown coverage on two goals. Any thoughts? Fatigue?

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
What do you guys think regarding Kreider. Excellent talent there though a costly turnover then blown coverage on two goals. Any thoughts? Fatigue?
Nah....just a rookie mistake. Much harder to learn defense than offense in this league.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Dorado*

CK bad pass was part indecisiveness with the puck , part inexperience and was also helped along by whoever got a stick check on it an kind of directed it right to OV.
He has the ability to change a game with one shot or shift but right now as the pressure ratchets up his inexperience and the lack of confidence that it can breed can be a detriment .
CK is going to be a hybrid power forward 2 way player who should be a mainstay on the PP in the future .
If we had a D man who could consistently get the puck through from either the point or half wall he will def pile up sone points

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post

And my biggest issue comes down to the Hagelin call. Not only did a near identical play go uncalled when Boyle had his stick chopped barely a minute earlier, but it is CLEAR that the ref has NO intention of blowing that whistle until Gaborik looks like he might get an opportunity out of it/the fans react.
I went to work at 3 yesterday then slept on it all night and I STILL can't let it go either.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:02 AM
laika86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
Because every group of nutjobs that shows up in Washington D.C. with crazy signs are Caps fans?

Get real.
We have lots of those in DC. There is this guy that stands around in Farragut with a sign that says "Barack Obama and Joe Biden gang ***** my wife in Nigeria." The crazies come out of the woodwork to protest here. You just learn to ignore them.

laika86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:08 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I'm having a bad week not just because of this team I root for but other stuff and I don't need people starting stuff on the internet. It was a theory, I'm not gonna say anything to get myself banned but it's all implied. Have a wonderful life Mr. Islander fan
Ignore list material for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnair87 View Post
Lundqvist's playoff stats: 1.68 GAA, .940 SV
Lundqvist's regular season stats: 1.97 GAA, .930 SV

Ranger's offense:
Regular season: 2.75 Goals per game average
Playoffs: 2.09 Goals per game average

Our PP is only 0.1% better than the regular season...

How much more can Lundqvist do? He stepped up his game and everyone else is playing like it's the regular season.
Pitch a shut out every night. Seriously though...Hank has been lights out.

Quote:
I thought the Caps right defense man made a great read on the play. Pinched in down low when Kreider had his back turned and made him put the puck through the middle of the zone instead of chipping it up the boards.

Without the pinch Kreider can chip it off the boards and out.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:22 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:

Ranger's offense:

How much more can Lundqvist do? He stepped up his game and everyone else is playing like it's the regular season.
You do realize he said lights out right? Obviously that means 0.00 GAA and a perfect SV% You know, the numbers that Veziner winner out in LA named Quick has.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 05-06-2012 at 10:30 AM.
truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:28 AM
roxchipsi8

2 losses decided by great acting by john carlson. F that guy. He may be a bigger ***** than crosby.

roxchipsi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:00 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Despite the loss, some players are starting to turn it around on the offense. Anisimov and Gaborik had really good games offensively. Richards has been the most consistent guy offensively, and if these two, along with contributions from Stepan and Cally, the offense is making a good turn even only scoring 2 goals today. If we can get Hank 3 goals, this team will win games and hopefully with these 2 getting going, we'll have some more wins in the future. Also, the Artie hate this season to me wasn't warranted. He's still young, saw his icetime fluctuate a lot, and rarely saw PP time. I hope these playoffs are showing his importance to the team, as he has 6 points in 11 games

Someone I've been a little upset hasn't had the best postseason is Hagelin. He's got one point and none since his suspension. He took the penalty which resulted in the GWG being scored and hasn't been nearly as productive as he was in the regular season. I hope he can turn it up the next couple games, because Gabby and Richards have turned it up this series. If not, it might be time to find a different linemate for those two. The way Kreider can in and produced made the fact Hagelin didn't produce much less of a blow, but now, it's starting to show. My guess is Anisimov will start getting some shifts with Gabby and Richards after today. Even if he doesn't produce offensively, anisimov could let Richards go on the offense and Artie can take the defensive responsibility for that line.

I still think we're going to win the series, but they have to play 3 periods. The terrible first cost them this game as the game was fairly even after that point. Even an average first and they can come out of that period tied or in the lead. It'd have been the difference in the game if they came out with a decent first.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:07 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Any news on Dubinsky?

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Watching the kings game on replay, whenever the opponent is close to or screens theire goalie the D makes them pay by defending the goalie..

Our guys...well whenever someone crashes Lundqvist we seldom make them pay..

It almost looks like we're helping them up and dusting them up..

Can't imagine the king being to happy about that at all..

Last game another player crashed the king into the goal and no one punched him after..

Headscratching..

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Despite the loss, some players are starting to turn it around on the offense. Anisimov and Gaborik had really good games offensively. Richards has been the most consistent guy offensively, and if these two, along with contributions from Stepan and Cally, the offense is making a good turn even only scoring 2 goals today. If we can get Hank 3 goals, this team will win games and hopefully with these 2 getting going, we'll have some more wins in the future. Also, the Artie hate this season to me wasn't warranted. He's still young, saw his icetime fluctuate a lot, and rarely saw PP time. I hope these playoffs are showing his importance to the team, as he has 6 points in 11 games

Someone I've been a little upset hasn't had the best postseason is Hagelin. He's got one point and none since his suspension. He took the penalty which resulted in the GWG being scored and hasn't been nearly as productive as he was in the regular season. I hope he can turn it up the next couple games, because Gabby and Richards have turned it up this series. If not, it might be time to find a different linemate for those two. The way Kreider can in and produced made the fact Hagelin didn't produce much less of a blow, but now, it's starting to show. My guess is Anisimov will start getting some shifts with Gabby and Richards after today. Even if he doesn't produce offensively, anisimov could let Richards go on the offense and Artie can take the defensive responsibility for that line.

I still think we're going to win the series, but they have to play 3 periods. The terrible first cost them this game as the game was fairly even after that point. Even an average first and they can come out of that period tied or in the lead. It'd have been the difference in the game if they came out with a decent first.
i agree with that...if we get performance from from all those players, gaborik/richards/anisimov...and so on in the next 2 games it would be huge!!!!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:15 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post

The problem is that we never have enough guys going at once. We're never firing on all cylinders.

Gaborik may have found his game again, and Anisimov has been solid, but Richards is hit or miss often. Stepan is quite inconsistent and very very weak on the puck. Callahan tries and is effective sometimes but doesn't have the talent to be offensive each game.

Our D never get a shot through, especially MDZ. Ever. We rely on the D each and every game to pinch and provide our forwards with an extra offensive opportunity and they constantly disappoint (they aren't offensive D men I know).

And you can forget about the bottom 6 scoring a goal. Nearly impossible. Prust, Mitchell, Fedotenko, Rupp and to a lesser extent Boyle are all completely offensively inept.

Hagelin has been strong but hasn't made a difference on the scoresheet and Kreider has been solid but he's young and thrown into the mix with very little experience.

I think it's a good thing that Washington has changed their game plan and seemingly aren't as offensively gifted as they usually were a few years ago. It gives us a chance to win. But we need PP success and timely goals. We need to fire on all cylinders or we're going down in 6/7 games.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:37 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Losing Dubinsky is starting take its toll in this series; he may not be scoring but he's strong on the puck and has more creativity than anyone in the bottom six right now. Losing him means losing speed and time spent in the offensive zone.

Ditto with MZA to a lesser extent but more for PP and creativity.

The second Krieder was having a bad game (and not to fault him he has like all of ten games of NHL experience) it handicapped the Rangers because more time for Feds, Prust, etc. guys who can't score.

Prust is losing somewhere between $5,000-$10,000 for every shift he takes. I forget he's even there anymore.

Not to criticize Hagelin who has been great but he needs to shoot more. His offense hasn't been there. Can't get too mad because this is his first time through this.

As the other poster said, they need one or two guys to step up other than Gaborik and now Anisimov. They need to shoot more if they want to win in this series. The Caps shotblocking is totally in their heads. They're playing shocked and baffled that someone else is doing what they to do everyone else.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I will absolutely not stand to lose to this ****ing team for the 3rd time in four years. The Rangers need to exercise a lot of demons against this team.

I've felt better after yesterday's loss as well. Even when we play terrible, it still takes horrible officiating for the Capitals to beat us. It's a 3 game series and two of them are at home.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:37 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
Watching the kings game on replay, whenever the opponent is close to or screens theire goalie the D makes them pay by defending the goalie..

Our guys...well whenever someone crashes Lundqvist we seldom make them pay..

It almost looks like we're helping them up and dusting them up..

Can't imagine the king being to happy about that at all..

Last game another player crashed the king into the goal and no one punched him after..

Headscratching..
Please come back Sauer!

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Just need more scoring. Honestly, defense looks good and overworked at times, Hank is great and lets in a softy or two but

needs the players in front of him to score some back and they simply can't. It's painful watching them work so hard for one ****ing goal.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
eh maybe, he's super new to the NHL and on top of that, gets thrown in on the top line (now 2nd line) and he's played really well under the pressure but of course isn't going to be a star for us.

This is a huge step up from what he's used to and if it were the regular season he wouldn't be as much under the microscope as he is because it's the playoffs.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Lundy was outstanding at many points today but he can't give up goals like that(Ovechkin and Green)....they are momentum changers....not just in a game but also a series. The Caps were given new life and were flying after the first goal.

I still have confidence in winning this series.

As far as criticizing, I want Lundqvist to be lights out and be a Stanley Cup winning goalie. To think about all the great goalies in NHL History, many were unbeatable and raised their level of play in the SC playoffs. Lundy has been beatable so far, I agree the Rangers did not play well today but that is when you must steal victory. I expect greater things from Lundqvist because I know he can do it, he has to raise his level as good as he's been...this is the time when the greats rise to the occasion.
I agree. BUT, my argument is... Lundqvist made saves that he stole from the Capitals. He absolutely robbed Ovechkin on a tip-in right in front of the net. He stoned Semin on a PP. He came up with a huge save against Backstrom in the 3rd period on a break away.

Those SHOULD be momentum changers. The team should rally behind their goaltender stealing sure goals from the other team. The fact that the Rangers couldn't rally and build momentum from their goaltenders great saves was concerning.

Regardless of the stat "scoring chances," the real "quality chances" in my opinion, all came down at the Rangers end. Holtby was only tested for one period. The 2nd period. The rest of the game was extremely easy on him. We did not have what I would consider one good scoring chance in the first or third periods. Lundqvist faced high quality scoring chances in each period.

THAT is the reason we lost. I truly believe that. You cannot attack the net and generate chances for 20 minutes and expect to win most games at the playoff level. Rangers were just not prepared for the game. The Capitals won and deserved it.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:18 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Losing Dubinsky is starting take its toll in this series; he may not be scoring but he's strong on the puck and has more creativity than anyone in the bottom six right now. Losing him means losing speed and time spent in the offensive zone.

Ditto with MZA to a lesser extent but more for PP and creativity.

The second Krieder was having a bad game (and not to fault him he has like all of ten games of NHL experience) it handicapped the Rangers because more time for Feds, Prust, etc. guys who can't score.

Prust is losing somewhere between $5,000-$10,000 for every shift he takes. I forget he's even there anymore.

Not to criticize Hagelin who has been great but he needs to shoot more. His offense hasn't been there. Can't get too mad because this is his first time through this.

As the other poster said, they need one or two guys to step up other than Gaborik and now Anisimov. They need to shoot more if they want to win in this series. The Caps shotblocking is totally in their heads. They're playing shocked and baffled that someone else is doing what they to do everyone else.
I notice he's there because he's been so awful. He's the worst board player on our team.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Fanned On It

At some point our endless cycling behind the other team's net needs to lead to a scoring opportunity... I feel like we cycle for too long sometimes. We have to cycle, create space for someone (maybe on the half-boards?) and get a shot on net while the other two forwards crash hard. Our defense needs to play pitch and catch with each other a LITTLE more so we can open up that shooting lane. MDZ shooting the puck straight into the Caps defender 700 times yesterday definitely held us back from a goal.

It's a shame we lost and I hope the locker room is getting itself fired up for Monday.

And who said Richards is hit or miss? Maybe over the regular season he was... but during the playoffs he has been our best player by far! If anything, Hagelin is hit or miss. I still value him on that line because he can chase down pucks, negate icings, and create space for the other two forwards... but the kid needs to learn to shoot the damn puck when it's appropriate to. Go to the net, good things will happen for us.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:04 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:

Ranger's offense:

Goals are always hard to come by in the playoffs. There are goalies that have better stats than Lundqvist in the playoffs that are sitting home right now. There are goalies that have better stats than Lundqvist that are still in the playoffs. It's beyond stats. If I told you a goalie had a .885 save % and 3.00 GAA would you consider that great? Well that was Lundqvists stats on Saturday. He was MUCH better than stats show. In both losses, Lundqvist had a sub .890 Save % and a higher than 3.00 GAA.

It's about making all the saves that you should make AND those that you shouldn't You see it in every SC playoff, a goalie that goes out and shuts teams down. Two goalies that I look at now that scare me are Mike Smith and Johnathan Quick. They are carrying their teams on their back.

To use a pitching analogy, an ace will not allow the other team more runs than it's team will score. If need be, shut them out. I want Lundqvist to go out and shut out the Caps. Send a message that we will not be defeated, we will win and there's nothing you can do about it because you will NOT score.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
OverTheCap

Kreider made a rookie mistake yesterday, it was bound to happen sooner or later due to his youth and experience and in all likelihood it will happen again. There are going to be some games where having two rookies in the top 6 is going to be a detriment rather than an asset. I thought both Hagelin and Kreider struggled yesterday, but unfortunately this team does not have the depth right now to limit their ice time when this occurs. We have players in the bottom 6 who are already getting more ice time than they should be, so there are very few candidates to replace players in the top 6 when they struggle, especially with Dubi's absence.

I didn't realize until yesterday that Hagelin hasn't registered a point since Game 1 against Ottawa. It's a lot to ask of him as a rookie, and I'm sure he's fatigued, but to play in the top 6, he has to do a little bit more offensively.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:08 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Kreider made a rookie mistake yesterday, it was bound to happen sooner or later due to his youth and experience and in all likelihood it will happen again. There are going to be some games where having two rookies in the top 6 is going to be a detriment rather than an asset. I thought both Hagelin and Kreider struggled yesterday, but unfortunately this team does not have the depth right now to limit their ice time when this occurs. We have players in the bottom 6 who are already getting more ice time than they should be, so there are very few candidates to replace players in the top 6 when they struggle, especially with Dubi's absence.

I didn't realize until yesterday that Hagelin hasn't registered a point since Game 1 against Ottawa. It's a lot to ask of him as a rookie, and I'm sure he's fatigued, but to play in the top 6, he has to do a little bit more offensively.
Yup, a bit disappointed in Hags thus far. I wouldn't jump on him as much if he was playing the third line but playing with Gabby and Richie you gotta do better than 1 point in 8 games.

05-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Yup, a bit disappointed in Hags thus far. I wouldn't jump on him as much if he was playing the third line but playing with Gabby and Richie you gotta do better than 1 point in 8 games.

The only thing I can get on Hags are some of the careless penalties.

But I can't get on him for his lack of offensive performance. He isn't first liner and yet he is playing against top teams Dmen in the playoffs as a rookie.

He doesn't have the hands, passing, vision, or creativity(or shot) to be a consistent first line threat. At least not that moment.

He has one major tool: Speed and he is trying to use it as effectively as possible. He doesn't really have a secondary offensive skill atm.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote