HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Different ice sizes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2012, 02:17 PM
  #26
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I have no idea about the history of the different ice surfaces, but bandy is primarily played outdoors on rinks the size of a soccer pitch or football field. Its hard to imagine that they had bandy in mind when European hockey rinks were designed. The only difference in size between European and NHL rinks is about 15 feet in width. Not enough to accomodate a bandy side!
You realize most of the early European hockey clubs originally began as bandy clubs, correct? Bandy was most definitely on the minds of early European hockey players, as it is where hockey recruited most of it's future players.

Hockey was also primarily played outdoors in the early days of the sport, often on the same frozen bodies of water that they originally played bandy on - meaning there was much more room for larger ice hockey rinks which was my point.

It's important to remember that European (and even Canadian) rinks were never "designed" so much as developed naturally to whatever felt right for that specific rink. Sometimes Canadian rinks were larger than European rinks! It was all very random really until the LIGH and NHL began standardizing rink sizes.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 05:16 AM
  #27
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
You realize most of the early European hockey clubs originally began as bandy clubs, correct? Bandy was most definitely on the minds of early European hockey players, as it is where hockey recruited most of it's future players.

Hockey was also primarily played outdoors in the early days of the sport, often on the same frozen bodies of water that they originally played bandy on - meaning there was much more room for larger ice hockey rinks which was my point.

It's important to remember that European (and even Canadian) rinks were never "designed" so much as developed naturally to whatever felt right for that specific rink. Sometimes Canadian rinks were larger than European rinks! It was all very random really until the LIGH and NHL began standardizing rink sizes.
What is/was LIGH?

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:49 AM
  #28
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
What is/was LIGH?
predecessor to the IIHF

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:35 PM
  #29
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron
 
wirelessflyingcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
LIHG = Ligue Internationale de Hockey sur Glace, apparently still the current French name of IIHF.


Last edited by wirelessflyingcord: 05-04-2012 at 03:40 PM.
wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:59 AM
  #30
Petey21
Registered User
 
Petey21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
To avoid future disputes over what is the correct size of ice rink dimensions the simplest solution for the IIHF would be to set minimum (NHL-size) and maximum (IIHF-size) ice rink dimensions. Let the host provide whatever ice surface they want as long as it fits these specifications. If the host cities plan on building new rinks (for a major event like the Olympics) this will provide the host with a rink that will get maximum use afterwards.

The 2010 Vancouver Olympics set the precedent for such a policy when Vancouver was allowed to use NHL-size ice dimensions and the IIHF should just adopt this policy going forward.
It's the IIHF you're talking about, not known for simple solutions. It's probably a simpler task to salvage the Titanic and make her run like new again, than getting the dudes over at the IIHF office to start thinking in new terms, no matter how much sense said ideas would make for common people.

Petey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:27 PM
  #31
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron
 
wirelessflyingcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
What are the standard board heights for IIHF and NHL? I've always thought that the difference in the board heights adds a lot of illusion on television picture. The heigher IIHF (or just typical European) board height makes players look so much smaller. Very good example is Vancouver olympics (and afaik also 2008 WHC), since the boards were IIHF-style but rinks obviously NHL size. Look at some game from the olympics - the rink just suddenly seems to look bigger than it does during a Canucks game, because the players appear smaller.


Last edited by wirelessflyingcord: 05-05-2012 at 06:37 PM.
wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:03 PM
  #32
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander
 
Lord Flashheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bananaland crapital
Country: Croatia
Posts: 3,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
To avoid future disputes over what is the correct size of ice rink dimensions the simplest solution for the IIHF would be to set minimum (NHL-size) and maximum (IIHF-size) ice rink dimensions. Let the host provide whatever ice surface they want as long as it fits these specifications. If the host cities plan on building new rinks (for a major event like the Olympics) this will provide the host with a rink that will get maximum use afterwards.

The 2010 Vancouver Olympics set the precedent for such a policy when Vancouver was allowed to use NHL-size ice dimensions and the IIHF should just adopt this policy going forward.
It is already done that way. Therefore, there is no precedent.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:58 AM
  #33
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruktbomb View Post
These are the rink sizes of Finnish SM-liiga arenas:

PHP Code:
28m  x 58m  2 arenas
28   x 60   3 arenas
28
,5 x 60   1 arena
29   x 59   1 arena
29   x 60   2 arenas
30   x 58   2 arenas
30   x 60   2 arenas 
Which one of those sizes do you think are best suited for hockey then?
I wish that there would be one united size for the entire hockey family. And the middle size by 28x60 maybe the most fair to all?

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:59 AM
  #34
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Justice View Post
LIHG = Ligue Internationale de Hockey sur Glace, apparently still the current French name of IIHF.
Thank you very much sir.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:04 AM
  #35
FlutteringSaucer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Which one of those sizes do you think are best suited for hockey then?
I wish that there would be one united size for the entire hockey family. And the middle size by 28x60 maybe the most fair to all?
I like the "Finnish size", which is the 28x60. Too bad Hartwall Areena has international ice and not the narrower version, since there's been talk in NA this season that they should consider moving to the Finnish rink size. It would've been great to see NHL players like yesterday's USA-Canada played in the middle sized rink.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:51 AM
  #36
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
NA will never change to bigger ice. Bigger ice means a loss of prime seating and profits.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:58 AM
  #37
ed bruin
Registered User
 
ed bruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newton
Country: United States
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
NA will never change to bigger ice. Bigger ice means a loss of prime seating and profits.
this and people here love watching big hits whether they are clean or dirty...

I honestly love watching international events once in a while, a breath of fresh air seeing players maneuver through the ice

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:12 AM
  #38
FlutteringSaucer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
NA will never change to bigger ice. Bigger ice means a loss of prime seating and profits.
Bigger ice actually means more rink-side seats. The "lost" seats would be in the last row in lower bowl.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:47 PM
  #39
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron
 
wirelessflyingcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
since there's been talk in NA this season that they should consider moving to the Finnish rink size.
When and by who? Link(s)?

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:52 PM
  #40
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
Bigger ice actually means more rink-side seats. The "lost" seats would be in the last row in lower bowl.
I only see them losing that 2meters, wich will mean 2 rows of seats (1 from each side). Where could they spawn back?

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:05 PM
  #41
FlutteringSaucer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Justice View Post
When and by who? Link(s)?
I can't remember, but I remember there was some talk about it here on HFB too...

Here's only one I could find with few searches (not the original).
From Bleacherreport:
Quote:
Last weekend during the New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues telecast, John Davidson, St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations, commented on the string of concussions that has afflicted the league. Davidson has felt the effects of this first hand as Blues forward David Perron has just recently returned to the lineup.

He explained that the best way to cut down a string of concussions would be to expand the regulation ice surface. He suggested that the NHL should increase the width of the ice surface by only five feet. Davidson explained that he was scouting prospects in Finland and the rink they played the tryouts on was only five feet wider than an NHL regulation rink.

Davidson went on to explain that he felt that this extra five feet would allow for as a slight increase in decision making and less split second hits would occur.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:12 PM
  #42
FlutteringSaucer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
I only see them losing that 2meters, wich will mean 2 rows of seats (1 from each side). Where could they spawn back?
The row 2 becomes the new (most expensive) rink-side seat row 1. And it probably has few more seats than the old rink-side seat row.

So basically every row's price goes up because they are one row closer to rink. And that is why income-wise the owners lose the last row of lower bowl

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:08 PM
  #43
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
The row 2 becomes the new (most expensive) rink-side seat row 1. And it probably has few more seats than the old rink-side seat row.

So basically every row's price goes up because they are one row closer to rink. And that is why income-wise the owners lose the last row of lower bowl
I think in NHL the rows are anyway right on the plexiglass, so the rows dont come closer but they lose 1 row? They can touch the class with their hands..

But it would work, just raise the price of every seat for like 1 or 2$ and its done.. and they even win in that, and it wont hurt.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:16 PM
  #44
FlutteringSaucer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
I think in NHL the rows are anyway right on the plexiglass, so the rows dont come closer but they lose 1 row? They can touch the class with their hands..

But it would work, just raise the price of every seat for like 1 or 2$ and its done.. and they even win in that, and it wont hurt.
Yeah I know that they would lose the first row most likely. Just pointed out that the value of those lost seats isn't the rink-side seat value but the last row in lower bowl... And rows don't come closer to rink, the rink comes closer to rows (every other except the first one which is lost)

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.