HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Gauthier didnít like Ryan McDonagh

Old
05-06-2012, 03:50 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
**** Pierre Gauthier. **** him to Alabama.
Why do you hate Alabama?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
It`s time to let this go Habs fans...really

It`s gotten beyond pathetic...McDonagh`s gone, Gauthier`s in Siberia for all we know.

Tourne la page
You know I like you. But what's hard to understand here, this is, as rumor as it is, a new piece of info. There was indeed 1000 threads of Gauthier's real implication of Gainey's moves. Weren't you around when it happened. Now, we finally "might" have some validation to it. It's well deserved another thread.

Unless, mods want to create a Gomez-McDonagh thread and sticky it. Or we could also agree to put it in the ex-habs thread. Ex-habs as in...McDonagh and as in we wish Gomez becomes one...

But frankly, at this point, this is worth it. Any new piece of infos, whether the trade or whatever happened a while ago, is a new piece of info in itself. Subject is old, info isn't.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Andros777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Why do you hate Alabama?
Just an expression I use.

Bugs my friend from Alabama though lol.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:13 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

No **** Gauthier didn't like McDonagh. What is this some kind of spectacular reveal? Why would he trade a prospect he liked? Our best prospects at the time were probably Patches and McDonagh and Sather probably asked for one of them (I'm speculating) Gauthier didn't like McDonagh's progression and traded him. So what?

All this article states is that in his duties as Ass. GM he was okay to trade McDonagh because he didn't like his progression. Even if Gainey was the figurehead and Boivin stayed out of hockey matters - don't we all now know that this was a bad trade?

I was supportive of the trade at the time actually, I thought Gomez would turn it around and McDonagh was nothing more than a 2nd pairing d-man. I was wrong. Gauthier and Gainey were wrong. A lot of people were wrong.

You're the worst fanbase in the league because you refuse to get over any mistake but can't for once think for yourselves and need to be herded like idiots by the media (case in point: thread's OP). It's pretty ****ing clear that Gauthier had to give his a-okay to trade for Gomez, he was director of pro scouting(!!!). How is this news??

Can you apply some or of deductive process? Any kind of critical thinking? Do you really need the Edmonton sports rag to reveal this ground-breaking news?

Let's keeping pissing around though, every time McDonagh plays a shift. And every time Andrei Kostitsyn scores a goal, we'll keep complaining how he wasn't given a fair shake. And maybe we should re-sign Francois Bouillon? How about Tom Pyatt, Dominic Moore and Jeff Halpern? I wouldn't mind seeing Koivu in a Habs jersey. Maybe we should give Kovalev a tryout, maybe's he's still got it?

Pathetic.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:17 PM
BLONG7

PG evaluates talent as well as Brian Burke...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:18 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

And a royal thank you to the scribes in Edmonton, sarcasm and frustration aside, they've done more actual reporting on the Montreal Canadiens than The Gazette has done over the last two years.

Maybe I subconsciously liked Gauthier because we shared an unparalleled contempt for the Montreal media.

Old
05-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
No **** Gauthier didn't like McDonagh. What is this some kind of spectacular reveal? Why would he trade a prospect he liked? Our best prospects at the time were probably Patches and McDonagh and Sather probably asked for one of them (I'm speculating) Gauthier didn't like McDonagh's progression and traded him. So what?

All this article states is that in his duties as Ass. GM he was okay to trade McDonagh because he didn't like his progression. Even if Gainey was the figurehead and Boivin stayed out of hockey matters - don't we all now know that this was a bad trade?

I was supportive of the trade at the time actually, I thought Gomez would turn it around and McDonagh was nothing more than a 2nd pairing d-man. I was wrong. Gauthier and Gainey were wrong. A lot of people were wrong.

You're the worst fanbase in the league because you refuse to get over any mistake but can't for once think for yourselves and need to be herded like idiots by the media (case in point: thread's OP). It's pretty ****ing clear that Gauthier had to give his a-okay to trade for Gomez, he was director of pro scouting(!!!). How is this news??

Can you apply some or of deductive process? Any kind of critical thinking? Do you really need the Edmonton sports rag to reveal this ground-breaking news?

Let's keeping pissing around though, every time McDonagh plays a shift. And every time Andrei Kostitsyn scores a goal, we'll keep complaining how he wasn't given a fair shake. And maybe we should re-sign Francois Bouillon? How about Tom Pyatt, Dominic Moore and Jeff Halpern? I wouldn't mind seeing Koivu in a Habs jersey. Maybe we should give Kovalev a tryout, maybe's he's still got it?

Pathetic.
One day you'll wake up and realize we are amongst the worst team in giving up on young assets without getting much in return. And then, add a pathetic cupless run for 18 years with only to show for a 3rd round and you might understand the frustration one day.

Then, sorry but it is news. The apologists kept mentioning that there's no way we know for sure that Gauthier was fine with the trade. That it's possible that as a pro scout, (which is quite funny), that he was NOT for acquiring Gomez and that it was solely Gainey's decision. But then, we now DO learn that not only Gauthier the PRO scout clearly had no problem with the trade 'cause he had an opinion of what the AMATEUR scout should have given instead. And CLEARLY, reports suggest that Timmins was PISSED off when he learned the trade which "suggest" that he wasn't aware of it. Or when he was, there was nothing he could have done to prevent it. 'Cause clealry Gainey and Gauthier were running the show and didn't feel like asking the guy who 2 freakin years before called McDo one of the most complete player out of the draft.

Oh and Mr. Gauthier didn't like his progression....2 years after the draft? Seriously? Why the heck do we love to draft from the US again? Oh 'cause you have 4 great years to evaluate a player before you sign him. So okay....makes total sense now. Even if you usually don't take your 4 years, you CLEARLY use mostly 3 years. But no. Gomez was too important to the team. A Gomez that most fans here didn't want to have. A Gomez who most Rangers fans loved to see him gone.

As far as your whining about the whiners, 'cause frankly, I don't think it's any different, well the day we are officially in another era where the team finally pick it up and becomes a very good team, it will be easier to move on.

And another thing. You don't have to NOT LIKE a player to include him in a trade. I'm sure that both GM's loved Goligoski and Neal when they traded. But felt that it was needed for different sorts of reasons. So at one point, even if we totally disagreed with him, we could have learned that Gainey thought Gomez was extremely needed and that Gauthier HATED to see McDonagh go but might have given the opinion that we had no other choice. Again, makes no sense....but way more than not liking a guy's progression based on a World Juniors. Personnally, I would bet that there's more to it 'cause I also saw McDo A LOT in his sophomore year and I thought that while not awful, he didn't have an extraordinairy season. But then, it happens. You saw that ND was not having a system to let him shine. Rarely was I seeing him passing the red line with the puck in his possession. So they were extremely conservative and maybe it was his coach's way of making him understand more the defensive side of the game. Which I don't think he was incredible in that aspect either. But this was the 2ND freakin year.....made no sense to have a final opinion on a guy in his sophomore year. No sense whatsoever.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 05-06-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old
05-06-2012, 04:39 PM
DAChampion

Ultimately, this team can only recover from the Gomez trade via top-5 draft picks, like we're getting this summer.

If we draft Ryan Murray (example), and bury Gomez in the minors, we'll be 1 or 2 years from recovering.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
what an idiot

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Roke

Not liking a player because of what is thought to be a sub-par performance in a small-sample tournament. I'm not shocked that that type of thinking would lead to such a poor decision-making on Gauthier's part. Performance should be judged over the long-haul while your short-term scouting should be looking at the tools in a player's toolbox. There are way too many factors to make performance-evaluation in a 7 game or so tournament a good process.

Shocking that this came from the Edmonton Journal who only seem to publish negative NHL stories when they're shiving a player the Oilers are trying to get rid of. I think they've now written more negative stories about Gauthier's reign than Tambellini and Lowe's Rebuild II.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Pathetic.
You can ignore threads you know. You get so defensive about Gauthier so it might be something you should consider when Gauthier threads comes up.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:49 PM
FF de Mars

The good news is that we would'nt have such a high pick with McDo on the team last year. He was exaclty what we needed, a replacement for declining Hamrlik. We'd have a crappy pick and we still wouldn't have made the playoffs. If we get a playmaker out of this draft, ironically, it was worth it.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 05-06-2012 at 05:09 PM.
FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:49 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You can ignore threads you know. You get so defensive about Gauthier so it might be something you should consider when Gauthier threads comes up.
It's frustrating to see posters I like fall for the same **** over and over and over. There doesn't seem to be any progression or higher application to our fandom than to re-hash over old moves and place blame on party X or party Y over and over and over.

Enough of the blame game, we have a new GM we should be making and contributing to threads about future moves and pros and cons of coaches... instead we're still taking about the kostitsyns and the gomez trade. It's disheartening.

Old
05-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
It's frustrating to see posters I like fall for the same **** over and over and over. There doesn't seem to be any progression or higher application to our fandom than to re-hash over old moves and place blame on party X or party Y over and over and over.

Enough of the blame game, we have a new GM we should be making and contributing to threads about future moves and pros and cons of coaches... instead we're still taking about the kostitsyns and the gomez trade. It's disheartening.
It is an old subject with a NEW piece of info. Whether it's real or not, it is out there. We talk about it. Wouldn't be the first time that we talk about something that wasn't real. Not sure why we should have an exception for this. Besides, this is the summer period. Nothing is happening. So while we do talk about things of the past during the hockey season, can you imagine how it is when there's nothing to talk about? Yes, Bergevin is hired and Dudley is about to. But I've rarely seen in this board a page with only 2 subjects.....We're pretty versatile, we are able to talk about a lot of things simultaneously (if that's how we write it...)

Old
05-06-2012, 04:59 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

I get it, but by the same token, it's frustrating to see you defend Gauthier. I think the guy was terrible. It set us back. The gomez trade was terrible by Gainey and Gauthier and the whole team.

However, you're right, we should be looking to the future but it's off-season for us. I think your expectations are a little too high at this time of year.

It's been a terrible year and instead of having insightful conversations about whats the next game's line up and who will break out this playoffs we had "tank baby tank" threads. Not to say I disagree with it, but it's pretty normal. The whole year has been pretty much asking "where did we go wrong" and slowly over the summer we'll be seeing more "where do we go from here" hopefully.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:01 PM
peate
Good grief!

I still think we should have taken Savard over Wickenheiser.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I recall there was a few "I believe" and "Positive talk only" threads that were set up for the sole purpose of reducing certain people's exposure to reality. those thread should have some good pro-gauthier posts that can be bumped.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:09 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

One of the worst trades of all-time.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I recall there was a few "I believe" and "Positive talk only" threads that were set up for the sole purpose of reducing certain people's exposure to reality. those thread should have some good pro-gauthier posts that can be bumped.
I know. I participated in it. Tried to convince myself. Though the premise was that, it would be great if Gomez could turn it around and if McDonagh would not become top 2. The worst happened. But this could have been prevented. We didn't have to do that. Again, people say "Well, we had to move on from the Koivu era". So EVEN if this was true, are we lucky Sather didn't ask for Subban and Price....'cause we HAD to get Gomez and move on from Koivu....Hey, here's a positive. I guess Sather screwed that up big time. He only got McDo....he could have had Subban and Price if he would have asked for it....

Old
05-06-2012, 05:13 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
I still think we should have taken Savard over Wickenheiser.
I think we should of kept Langway and Chelios. We would of won more cups with those two thru the 80-90s.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I posted in the I believe thread....said "I believe,we're done"

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:18 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It is an old subject with a NEW piece of info. Whether it's real or not, it is out there. We talk about it. Wouldn't be the first time that we talk about something that wasn't real. Not sure why we should have an exception for this. Besides, this is the summer period. Nothing is happening. So while we do talk about things of the past during the hockey season, can you imagine how it is when there's nothing to talk about? Yes, Bergevin is hired and Dudley is about to. But I've rarely seen in this board a page with only 2 subjects.....We're pretty versatile, we are able to talk about a lot of things simultaneously (if that's how we write it...)
But it's not a new piece of info at all. Anyone who could think for themselves knew that Gauthier in his duties as Dir. Pro-Scouting gave the ok on Gomez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I get it, but by the same token, it's frustrating to see you defend Gauthier. I think the guy was terrible. It set us back. The gomez trade was terrible by Gainey and Gauthier and the whole team.

However, you're right, we should be looking to the future but it's off-season for us. I think your expectations are a little too high at this time of year.

It's been a terrible year and instead of having insightful conversations about whats the next game's line up and who will break out this playoffs we had "tank baby tank" threads. Not to say I disagree with it, but it's pretty normal. The whole year has been pretty much asking "where did we go wrong" and slowly over the summer we'll be seeing more "where do we go from here" hopefully.
I don't think I'm defending the guy, I think I'm trying to be the voice of reason. It's never as bad as the Habs forum makes it, and Gauthier is a prime example. Emelin, Cole and trading Halak were GOOD MOVES. Trading for Wiz to save the PP was a good move, as was not signing him to a ludicrous contract.

But I won't keep defending the guy because it's over, he's gone and everyone has danced on his grave. Maybe if we win the cup next year we can give him some credit

Old
05-06-2012, 05:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I don't think I'm defending the guy, I think I'm trying to be the voice of reason. It's never as bad as the Habs forum makes it, and Gauthier is a prime example. Emelin, Cole and trading Halak were GOOD MOVES. Trading for Wiz to save the PP was a good move, as was not signing him to a ludicrous contract.

But I won't keep defending the guy because it's over, he's gone and everyone has danced on his grave. Maybe if we win the cup next year we can give him some credit
To be honest, I still wouldn't. The majority of the team is Gainey related. Emelin was a Gainey pick, he was gonna come over eventually. Cole was all Gauthier and a great signing but trading Halak? Well, one had to go, not a shocker.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
But it's not a new piece of info at all. Anyone who could think for themselves knew that Gauthier in his duties as Dir. Pro-Scouting gave the ok on Gomez.
As the Director of PRO scouting, you can give your OK to get Gomez. This is not an info about LIKING Gomez. It's about an info of DISLIKING McDonagh. You hope that you talk more to your guy who drafted him 2 years before as he's in charge of player's development. That's Timmins job to like or dislike McDonagh. Not Gauthier. He can have his opinion and clearly it was a bad one. Now, the funny part is that while it's totally OBVIOUS that he gave the ok for Gomez, some in here didn't want to agree with that. I swear I read that it's possible he didn't agree with it and Gainey went with this on his own. Made no sense but some believed it. Now, again, it has nothing to do with Gomez here though. But more about the fact that, if true, he was another voice in there saying that McDonagh was expendable. And when you hear that Timmins was pissed off about it.......And then, like I said after, you don't have to dislike a guy to trade him. You might feel you have no choice. But he went further and gave the report that McDo was simply nothing special. To me, it's a very new piece of info. At the very least, which explains a lot of things we've talked about here and made approximately 1000 threads about. That info, at the very least, close the door on most of those threads. Some people want to move on from things. Well you start by knowing the truth and that will help in closing the chapter. You need to know the end of your book before you close it. Mind you, we might never know FOR SURE, unless Gauthier and Co comes clean and say how it was. Not expecting it though.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:30 PM
hockeyfan2k11

It's so gratifying being right about how much of an idiot Gauthier was and how much of an impact he had even as pro scout.

A lot of the PG fanboys are looking extremely dumb right now.

I didn't hate PG because I was an overly critical ******. I hated him because he was a frigging idiot.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote