HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Obligatory Kyle Turris Appreciation Thread

Old
04-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
Anyone recall what the issue he had with Phoenix at the start of the year was about?

Edit: from wikipedia

At least he is signed for another season. Don't think he is a 3-4 million dollar player yet, but has the potential to be worth more. Wonder what the hold out was about if according to his agent "it was never about the money" was indeed fact.
The rumour was he was asking for that money just because he knew Phoenix wouldn't sign him for that and trade him. He knew he wasn't worth that money. He just wanted to try anything to get out of the desert. I remember this being discussing in the threads about him.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:23 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
The rumour was he was asking for that money just because he knew Phoenix wouldn't sign him for that and trade him. He knew he wasn't worth that money. He just wanted to try anything to get out of the desert. I remember this being discussing in the threads about him.
the argument was basically: it'll take this much money to get me to play for phoenix.

and the price was outrageous enough to force a trade.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:47 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Does he always smile when answering questions to the media? Or has he been doing it only since he came to Ott?
I've never seen a player be so obviously thankful to be with a team. Ever interview he gives he talks about how happy he is for the opportunity to be here, how great this group of guys are.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
the argument was basically: it'll take this much money to get me to play for phoenix.

Thank you for wording it wwell. Im drunk and it'd hard.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:00 PM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
I've never seen a player be so obviously thankful to be with a team. Ever interview he gives he talks about how happy he is for the opportunity to be here, how great this group of guys are.
Yea I noticed that too. Good on B.Murr to give players a chance to blossom somewhere else. Kyle seems like a really good fit in our system going forward.

I think he has more offensive upside than that of Fisher when he was here, he just needs to add size and I'll be happy if he's even half of what Fisher was physically.

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Yea I noticed that too. Good on B.Murr to give players a chance to blossom somewhere else. Kyle seems like a really good fit in our system going forward.

I think he has more offensive upside than that of Fisher when he was here, he just needs to add size and I'll be happy if he's even half of what Fisher was physically.
Fisher had next to no offensive awareness. He played a hard nose north south game with a lot of speed and power but next to no finesse. Turris is much slower and cerebral, picking moments instead of forcing them with strength. His point production might be similar but has a lot more upside to him since he's a straight up smarter player.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:05 AM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
Fisher had next to no offensive awareness. He played a hard nose north south game with a lot of speed and power but next to no finesse. Turris is much slower and cerebral, picking moments instead of forcing them with strength. His point production might be similar but has a lot more upside to him since he's a straight up smarter player.
I was referring to point production, I guess I could of been more clear. Turris's hockey IQ is much better than Fish'

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:08 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Turris' shot is a million light years better than Fisher's: that will be the biggest difference between the two. I don't think Turris will get that many more point s than Mike did, but his shot is much more dangerous which is something this team has been lacking ever since Heatley left.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:42 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Turris' shot is a million light years better than Fisher's: that will be the biggest difference between the two. I don't think Turris will get that many more point s than Mike did, but his shot is much more dangerous which is something this team has been lacking ever since Heatley left.
Turris and Fisher are completely different players and not really comparable. Turris has really good hockey sense and should be able to put up more points than Fisher did.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:50 AM
stempniaksen

I know it's the easy comparison to make because Fisher is our most recent #2 center, but it's a weird comparison to make style wise because they are almost polar opposites. Turris is so cerebral and thinks the game at such a high level (easily the best part of his game) whereas Fisher was just a straight up beast with almost no hockey IQ when he was at his best.

I expect Turris' career high to beat Fisher's, but 50-some points a season is nothing to sneeze at either.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Philadelphia Collins

It owns seeing Turris talk about how much Maclean's words of confidence meant to him. What a far cry from last year with the way Clouston communicated with the team

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
I know it's the easy comparison to make because Fisher is our most recent #2 center, but it's a weird comparison to make style wise because they are almost polar opposites. Turris is so cerebral and thinks the game at such a high level (easily the best part of his game) whereas Fisher was just a straight up beast with almost no hockey IQ when he was at his best.

I expect Turris' career high to beat Fisher's, but 50-some points a season is nothing to sneeze at either.
Production-wise, I dont know if Turris will beat Fisher, or beat him by much. He will be limited by being the 2nd line centre and we dont have a lot of talent at the moment to populate a 2nd PP unit.

I think what makes Turris a better replacement is his skill level is higher. Turris could be a number one centre for 10-20 games if Spezza was hurt. Fisher would really struggle with that and the offence would suffer to a much greater degree.

Alfie#11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:29 AM
TSA0402

I think Turris is just happy to get the chance. He might or might not have gotten it in Phoenix this year, but if I had that talent and was being scratched or put on the 4th line instead of Boyd Gordon and the other centers they have, hell I'd be pissed too.

At least it worked out for them too as they get Vermette, who fits their system much better.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:48 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
So sick...

It also feels good defending Turris against...Trent was it? before and after the trade.
Well, his point was that it wasn't good asset management at the time IIRC. Not that Turris was necessarily a bad player.

You were a pretty big Rundblad supporter, I'm surprised you weren't on his side.

In any event, I'm still pleased with the deal, though when I first heard it, I was a bit nervous.

I still think that you can't manage a hockey team simply by trying to keep the optimum number of depth players at each position. Sometimes you have to make a deal happen even if it weakens you in one area and it strengthens you in another.

I think trent was worried about our defensive depth going forward, particularly with our 3 old men in the top 5.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:58 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold
Veteran User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

Was there any elaboration as to why he wanted out of Phoenix?

04-20-2012, 10:00 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
Was there any elaboration as to why he wanted out of Phoenix?
I think he felt like the coach wasn't letting him play his game

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Just noticed how big a jump in point production Kyle had with the sens this year. (29 in 49 vs. 25 in 65 in his last full season with the yotes).

Any predictions for his numbers next season?

Depending on who his linemates are, 55 points with 20 goals doesn't seem out of the question to me.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Well, his point was that it wasn't good asset management at the time IIRC. Not that Turris was necessarily a bad player.

You were a pretty big Rundblad supporter, I'm surprised you weren't on his side.

In any event, I'm still pleased with the deal, though when I first heard it, I was a bit nervous.

I still think that you can't manage a hockey team simply by trying to keep the optimum number of depth players at each position. Sometimes you have to make a deal happen even if it weakens you in one area and it strengthens you in another.

I think trent was worried about our defensive depth going forward, particularly with our 3 old men in the top 5.
I felt the same way. I was and am glad that we got Turris, but I felt we traded too much for a player in his position. It is possible for the player you traded for work out well but still pay too much for him, which is the case with Turris in my opinion.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:10 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
Just noticed how big a jump in point production Kyle had with the sens this year. (29 in 49 vs. 25 in 65 in his last full season with the yotes).

Any predictions for his numbers next season?

Depending on who his linemates are, 55 points with 20 goals doesn't seem out of the question to me.
I'd say he got those points just with his skill alone. If he really works on his strength, he'll get around 65-70 next year, that's if Alfie comes back.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:15 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I'd say he got those points just with his skill alone. If he really works on his strength, he'll get around 65-70 next year, that's if Alfie comes back.
If he got that next year id be pretty happy

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Manny*

65-70 points is pretty unlikely, at least for next season.

Hitting 50 would be a great step forward in his development. He's going to be a terrific player down the road, but there's lots to learn before he has a shot at breaking the 60-point barrier.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:18 PM
playasRus

If Turris broke 50 pts next season i'd be thrilled. It'd be a huge step in his development.
I'm not even gonna say what I'd feel if he scored 60+ because lets be real, there's NO way he does, unless he both has a major breakout seasons and plays way above expectations PLUS he's thrust into the number 1 centre position for a large portion of the season with 20min + every game because of a Spezza injury.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Turris with 70 points would be the best player in the NHL by far. He's already one of the best defensive forwards, to improve by 25-30% would be just completely sick.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Turris with 70 points would be the best player in the NHL by far. He's already one of the best defensive forwards, to improve by 25-30% would be just completely sick.
That is incredibly inaccurate.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Batali Crocs*

He was great for us this season. Would like to see him use his shot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Turris with 70 points would be the best player in the NHL by far.

Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote