HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
05-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
My reading of the deal is that it basically give the ball to the universities. If they can manage to cut some of their expense (through the "watch program") then the tuition won't be raised at much. But in the end, it won't be the government problem anymore if this "watch program" end up failing.
That's how I understood it as well. I don't really see this as a win for the anti-hike side. Tuition has increased in the end. Now instead focusing their attention on Government, they now have to focus their attention on universities.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That's how I understood it as well. I don't really see this as a win for the anti-hike side. Tuition has increased in the end. Now instead focusing their attention on Government, they now have to focus their attention on universities.
Pretty easy way out I guess. It's a bad plan. I actually think Universities such as concordia(ill speak for ConU as I go there) are in need of more funding. While managing expenses isn't a bad thing, the end result isn't really cause for optimism. You're pressuring universities to please the students and sidetrack or cut useful services in the process. Concordia's most used building(Hall) is a piece of crap. I've had my teachers openly complain in class about the FG building and how equipment is outdated. The MB and EV buildings are excellent but the H and several others are clearly lacking. They have started to renovate and modernize certain floors of the H(most notably 10) in order to provide better labs, classes and study rooms but I fear the slowdown such a tuition pressure would cause. While they may not be tied hand in hand, I'd rather the end result was the excess fees were used for projects to increase academic resources and the quality of education/research. Instead, we're cutting just to cut and once what was originally "Who should pay? Government or Students?" has an answer of "the universities".

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:56 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I still think the students will be back on strike next year until the government agrees to pay each student a salary for going to school. Honestly, the way Quebec is run I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up that way.

I'll also laugh if they end up cutting student associations as a result of these budget cuts.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I still think the students will be back on strike next year until the government agrees to pay each student a salary for going to school. Honestly, the way Quebec is run I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up that way.

I'll also laugh if they end up cutting student associations as a result of these budget cuts.
Having been part of a student association myself, I wouldn't care at all however these are legit networking opportunities. I think while one may have a lack of an interest for an association I can respect the process and the work people put into it. A lot of people get the opportunity to manage and be part of a team which is a lot more helpful than some classes.

Other associations, such as the CSU who fail at taking proper votes...sure, I wish they'd cancel them.

Old
05-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Pretty easy way out I guess. It's a bad plan. I actually think Universities such as concordia(ill speak for ConU as I go there) are in need of more funding. While managing expenses isn't a bad thing, the end result isn't really cause for optimism. You're pressuring universities to please the students and sidetrack or cut useful services in the process. Concordia's most used building(Hall) is a piece of crap. I've had my teachers openly complain in class about the FG building and how equipment is outdated. The MB and EV buildings are excellent but the H and several others are clearly lacking. They have started to renovate and modernize certain floors of the H(most notably 10) in order to provide better labs, classes and study rooms but I fear the slowdown such a tuition pressure would cause. While they may not be tied hand in hand, I'd rather the end result was the excess fees were used for projects to increase academic resources and the quality of education/research. Instead, we're cutting just to cut and once what was originally "Who should pay? Government or Students?" has an answer of "the universities".
LL, I agree completely. It's stuff like this why I was in favor of an increase. There is only so much the fixing of mis-managed funds can pay for. Unfortunately, money doesn't grow on trees and it costs money to maintain a QUALITY education. The notion of quality seems to have been lost in this whole mess. Costs rise, it's teh nature of our economic system. The taxpayers are overburdened already. The cost of tuition is so low that there is enough room there to have some of the monetary burden shifted to the students themselves.

Education is still affordable.

Old
05-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Batali Crocs*

The idiots will be back on strike next year.

Cutting administrative fees won't solve anything. Only makes things worse.

Really wish Charest had some balls and took a hard stance against these morons. If unemployed students made the government look soft, there really is no hope in this province. The rest of Canada has one more reason to laugh at Quebec.

Heavily considering getting my degree and leaving in a few years.

Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

They actually got one semester's worth of freeze, which is better than nothing in their eyes.

But Charest held the hard line for 12 weeks so maybe it's not that bad a thing in some people's eyes.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
They actually got one semester's worth of freeze, which is better than nothing in their eyes.
Moral victory I guess. A rise in tuition is a rise in tuition no matter when it happens. All in all I think it's an overall loss for both sides. While tuition still increased, the Charest government still had to make concessions.

And while they got concessions, the anti-hike side still don't not get what they wanted which was a tuition freeze or free education. Although there is a potential to offset the rise in tuition with administrative cuts, the problem is that they are just that; potential cuts, not actual cuts. In the end, the students might not have any off-set at all.

Essentially, many people wasted a semester.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:35 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

cuts on quality to save a few $

students must be happy!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Real academic question!

My friend has a bad GPA. Like a 1.3 bad. Anyways, I'm in change of finding him a second semester summer class (June-August) that's so easy that he gets an A. Does anyone know the easiest classes to take at Concordia?
I already know about CHEM 208 which I heard is stupid easy, but we're going for something un-science.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:36 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Real academic question!

My friend has a bad GPA. Like a 1.3 bad. Anyways, I'm in change of finding him a second semester summer class (June-August) that's so easy that he gets an A. Does anyone know the easiest classes to take at Concordia?
I already know about CHEM 208 which I heard is stupid easy, but we're going for something un-science.
Isnt he on failed standing and kicked out?

Old
05-07-2012, 05:43 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Isnt he on failed standing and kicked out?
Don't you have one semester of probation? I don't remember the details though.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Real academic question!

How the hell do you get a 1.3 GPA?!?

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:26 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Having an average of D+

as for the CLASSE
they call out the governement for modifying the document upon signature

When you call yourself a Syndicat, you have to act like a Syndicat.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/do...a-larnaque.php

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:39 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Don't you have one semester of probation? I don't remember the details though.
Isn't that a cegep thing? As far as I know ConU(where I assume friend is) doesn't mention it.

I actually was on a 'conditional standing' which is annual of 1.5 to 1.99. I had 1.82. This is probation, they give you a year to get over 2.00 GPA. You redo some classes(they choose) and that's it. Failed standing you're kicked out for a year and gotta reappl a year later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
In my case, I was working a lot and I was a mature student. Was out of full time study for a long time and after two years my cummilative GPA was low, like 1.9(annual of 1.82) because I just wasn't used to it and I was overworking myself with school and work. I stopped working this year and got my act together so in 2 years I managed to have 1.9 or so. In one year I did so well I boosted it back to 2.97. I'm pretty happy about that.

In any case, sometimes it just happens. You do too many classes and you screw up or you do too little and you have a low mark in one and can't boost it with another.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:57 AM
ClasslessGuy

I'm studying in Ontario right now and I'm wondering how do you do the conversion from our gpa (/10) and the the one in québec (/4.6) I think.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:05 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
I'm studying in Ontario right now and I'm wondering how do you do the conversion from our gpa (/10) and the the one in québec (/4.6) I think.
I never knew Ontario one was different but Quebec is on 4, certain schools have it on 4.3.

Is this what you mean?

http://home.vef.gov/download/conversion_table.htm

Edit: Here is a converter: http://em.tsu.edu/registrar/gpacc.php

Old
05-07-2012, 04:21 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Yeah, my friend is on academic probation. I'm not sure what that involves, but you do need to get your GPA above 2 within a year or something. I think his GPA is higher than that, but I know he got a couple Cs, a B and a fail, (first semester) so his GPA is around 1.6 or something. If he takes an easy class, gets an A and retakes his failed class and gets a B or whatever, then he should easily be in the 2.5+ range, and be right on track.

I got him to register for FINA 200. How is that class? I heard it was a joke and might take it myself.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Yeah, my friend is on academic probation. I'm not sure what that involves, but you do need to get your GPA above 2 within a year or something. I think his GPA is higher than that, but I know he got a couple Cs, a B and a fail, (first semester) so his GPA is around 1.6 or something. If he takes an easy class, gets an A and retakes his failed class and gets a B or whatever, then he should easily be in the 2.5+ range, and be right on track.

I got him to register for FINA 200. How is that class? I heard it was a joke and might take it myself.
I heard FINA 200 is very easy. My brother is taking it this summer so I will be able to give you more feedback in a few weeks.

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:28 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Having an average of D+

as for the CLASSE
they call out the governement for modifying the document upon signature

When you call yourself a Syndicat, you have to act like a Syndicat.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/do...a-larnaque.php
D+...

Unless he had issues (financial, medical, etc), tell your friend about jobboom or something...

Old
05-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Montreal Typical

I thought I was going to fail my database class, but I ended up with a C+. It's a bad result for me, but I'll take it considering that I pretty much did nothing in that class.

Quote:
Yeah, my friend is on academic probation. I'm not sure what that involves, but you do need to get your GPA above 2 within a year or something.
That's pretty much it (at least at my university). Here it's "get your GPA back on track or GTFO".

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
I thought I was going to fail my database class, but I ended up with a C+. It's a bad result for me, but I'll take it considering that I pretty much did nothing in that class.

That's pretty much it (at least at my university). Here it's "get your GPA back on track or GTFO".
Out of curiosity, which Database class (was it at Concordia)?

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Out of curiosity, which Database class (was it at Concordia)?
I study at Polytechnique. The class is INF3710.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Batali Crocs*

I got A- in Inte290. What a joke of a class. I put no more than 10 hours of work the whole semester. I recommend everybody to take it. Surprisingly, there were some failures. How that's possible, I don't know.

And L-O-F'ing-L at the idiot students who now say the government used dirty tactics like sleep deprivation to trick them into the preliminary agreement. Sleep deprivation? College Students? Are they serious? I can't count how many times I've had to work until 4 or 5am, sleep a few hours and go to class for 8:45am. Part of the College experience is learning how to manage time between sleep, work, friends, and school. Sometimes, you gotta make sacrifices.

But hard work and sacrifice are words these fools know nothing of. Whining and protest on the other hand, have been perfected.

Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:19 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
I got A- in Inte290. What a joke of a class. I put no more than 10 hours of work the whole semester. I recommend everybody to take it. Surprisingly, there were some failures. How that's possible, I don't know.

And L-O-F'ing-L at the idiot students who now say the government used dirty tactics like sleep deprivation to trick them into the preliminary agreement. Sleep deprivation? College Students? Are they serious? I can't count how many times I've had to work until 4 or 5am, sleep a few hours and go to class for 8:45am. Part of the College experience is learning how to manage time between sleep, work, friends, and school. Sometimes, you gotta make sacrifices.

But hard work and sacrifice are words these fools know nothing of. Whining and protest on the other hand, have been perfected.
come on now...

let's not pretend the Govt has been honest or anything in this... we're talking about Charest PLQ here. They are dirty, they are dishonest, they are frauds, they are thiefs.