HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Drug use on a hockey team

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2012, 07:26 AM
night-timer

vCash: 500
Drug use on a hockey team

Serious question time, folks....

I want opinions on how you would tackle the following topic or whether you would ignore it as "none of your business" or "out of your league".

I am alternate captain on my team and the team manager. I am also a committee member at the club and have done a bit of coaching for the club.

If you heard that the team's assistant coach walked into the mens' room before a game and discovered a player sniffing a line of cocaine, what would you do?

This alleged incident happened months ago and I was never told about it at the time, despite my credentials on the team. Should I rightly have been informed?

Maybe the matter went higher up the chain to be dealt with and left "confidential" or private and out-of-bounds for the rest of the team.

Even now, I have no idea if the story is true, so should I bring the controversy out in the open and quiz the assistant coach for info, or should I just let the matter go?

Is it my place to get involved?

The season ended and the player left the club, but he is now keen to return. I am also concerned that, if true, the incident could give the entire team a dubious reputation.

Old
05-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

What level of play is this?

Old
05-05-2012, 09:30 AM
night-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post
Not pick-up, it's a senior non-checking recreational level of play, but we have written anti-doping policies and a player code of conduct that needs to be signed, etc.

Old
05-05-2012, 09:31 AM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post

This was my question too.

Old
05-05-2012, 11:35 AM
BLBarmada

My opinion is that you should tell him he cannot do drugs inside the rink, or while being on league soil...

It's your business to a certain extent.

Old
05-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Stickmata

If we kicked every player out of our league that had drugs or alcohol in their system during a game, we'd probably lose 20 percent of our men's league. I would stay out of it unless it gets bad enough to affect the safety of the players on the ice. I expect that, when he got caught, he was told to keep it out of the rink in the future.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:25 PM
jsykes

Personally, its gone and done, I would not consider doing anything about that particular incident.

If anything, all I'd do is maybe say something to the player that there had been a story going around of the incident, emphasize you're not asking if its true or not, but just making sure he's aware of the doping policy and to be careful as if it does come out or happen again, there might be action taken.

In a way, do it as a friend giving a warning and not that you're looking to get to the bottom of the story or the truth.

EDIT: Just to add though, if I did find out this was happening and a regular thing, I'd let the higher league authorities know and let them deal with it as I, personally, would not want to play with him regularly out of fear of him causing an injury to himself or someone else.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:29 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
If we kicked every player out of our league that had drugs or alcohol in their system during a game, we'd probably lose 20 percent of our men's league. I would stay out of it unless it gets bad enough to affect the safety of the players on the ice. I expect that, when he got caught, he was told to keep it out of the rink in the future.
Doing coke in the bathroom is a HELL of a far cry from having a beer before the game.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:35 PM
donkers*

A player who has been having a few beers before games is more likely to hurt himself than a player who has hit a few bumps. Just saying.

I would ask him to stop using where it is in open view of anyone who would disapprove. It's obvious you're bothered by the open drug use and he should take that into consideration. What he does in his own time is his problem but if it affects others then that's when something needs to be done/said.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
A player who has been having a few beers before games is more likely to hurt himself than a player who has hit a few bumps. Just saying.
Sure if you dont count a heart attack as hurting yourself.

I would just tell the guy that the team is full and move on from the situation. Its one thing to show up to the rink high but to be doing rails in the bathroom brings the whole team into the situation.

Old
05-05-2012, 03:58 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
Sure if you dont count a heart attack as hurting yourself.

I would just tell the guy that the team is full and move on from the situation. Its one thing to show up to the rink high but to be doing rails in the bathroom brings the whole team into the situation.
This is what I'm saying. I can't believe people are honestly saying "eh" to the idea of a guy snorting lines in the rink bathroom. We're not talking about taking a couple rips in the living room or knocking back a beer in the parking lot. Coke is serious.

Old
05-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Yeah, I'd say that's serious enough to merit action.

Old
05-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Doing coke in the bathroom is a HELL of a far cry from having a beer before the game.
Meh, not really, at least from perspective of playing a game of rec league hockey. I wouldn't be any more concerned about that guy than I would the guy who had a few beers or smoked a few bowls. Wish none of them were out there on the ice with me, but sad reality is life's not that clean and nice.

I'm talking about the pure hockey thing, not the 'what should I do for a friend with a drug problem' perspective. That's another thing entirely.

Personally, I've always found it pretty ridiculous that people think it's okay to drink a few beers and then slap a couple razors to their feet and go fly around at 20 mph in a contained space with nothing to protect their spinal cord but a hockey jersey and a little dumb luck. But that's just me.

Old
05-05-2012, 04:28 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Meh, not really, at least from perspective of playing a game of rec league hockey. I wouldn't be any more concerned about that guy than I would the guy who had a few beers or smoked a few bowls. Wish none of them were out there on the ice with me, but sad reality is life's not that clean and nice.

I'm talking about the pure hockey thing, not the 'what should I do for a friend with a drug problem' perspective. That's another thing entirely.

Personally, I've always found it pretty ridiculous that people think it's okay to drink a few beers and then slap a couple razors to their feet and go fly around at 20 mph in a contained space with nothing to protect their spinal cord but a hockey jersey and a little dumb luck. But that's just me.
One's a narcotic that is strictly outlawed in most countries and the other isn't. There's a difference, especially regarding the acceptability of use in a public place. Some of these responses are quite shocking.

Old
05-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

I can't believe that there are people out there that take beer league so seriously that they are doing blow to get up before a game.... Get a life

Old
05-05-2012, 07:55 PM
CunniJA

Outlawed or not, I'll take the guy that did a bit of coke over the drunk any day of the week as far as safety goes. Still, let's not argue about that. Either one is dangerous and it shouldn't be happening, nuff said. I think you're entitled to see what was up.

Old
05-05-2012, 08:43 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
Outlawed or not, I'll take the guy that did a bit of coke over the drunk any day of the week as far as safety goes. Still, let's not argue about that. Either one is dangerous and it shouldn't be happening, nuff said. I think you're entitled to see what was up.
Obviously someone that is fall-down drunk is a hazard on the ice. But seriously, come on now.

Old
05-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Fanned On It

Idk if you really want to bring this issue up months after the fact... I'd personally wait and see if it happens again, then act on it. A person can use coke in his own privacy all he wants as long as it's not affecting other people (from a hockey perspective, not a "good friend" perspective).

Truth of the matter is, you have no idea who else is on the ice under the influence of whatever, and honestly, a bump of coke isn't going to give someone a heart-attack during a hockey game. It's probably safer than getting drunk beforehand.

If it's a matter of you not wanting this kid using on the rink's premises, then tell him that and let that be the end of it.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Gino 14

Before you go and make a huge deal out this, which many on here already have, you should talk first to the assistant coach and get his story and then to the player if it is justified to get his version. Without a shred of proof you're just a bit premature in making any kind of decision.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Coke is certainly a concern.

However alcohol affects decision making and not just the reaction physically but also mentally.

Frankly I dislike playing with guys who have been boozing before the game.

Generally they are far more irritable and likely to do something stupid.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Some of these responses make me feel like such a square. Maybe I should bring a few 8 balls for after my next game instead of beer.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:56 PM
donkers*

Sorry, my mom never took me to church on Sundays.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:24 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Coke is certainly a concern.

However alcohol affects decision making and not just the reaction physically but also mentally.

Frankly I dislike playing with guys who have been boozing before the game.

Generally they are far more irritable and likely to do something stupid.
I dislike playing with drunks, but I find dudes who have been snorting rails in the rink bathroom to be far more objectionable.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:24 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
Some of these responses make me feel like such a square. Maybe I should bring a few 8 balls for after my next game instead of beer.
Apparently some of us aren't cool enough to think drugs are a-ok.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Apparently some of us aren't cool enough to think drugs are a-ok.
Dude it's not like that at all... I feel like what you just said is always the response when someone says a certain "drug" isn't as evil as D.A.R.E. would have you believe. Doing or not doing drugs doesn't make anyone "cooler"/more lame than anyone else.

The problem with drugs lies in the people that are using them. Most drug users are uneducated on whatever substance they are using, and that leads to a lot of dangerous situations. This also goes the other way: Most non-drug-users are uneducated on substances in general, which tends to lead to a lot of unfounded fear and resentment. If a person is going to decide that they want to use drugs, they better be smart enough to read up on as much information as they can beforehand. Conversely, if a person is going to decide they want to hate on drug-users, then they should read up and learn about what exactly they are hating.

People should read up on things and make up their own minds instead of just listening to what society tells them to.

Sorry that was kind of off topic... I had to rant real quick, haha.

Closed Thread