HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

OT: Will Ovechkin Be Suspended?

Old
05-06-2012, 10:27 AM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
The fact that one player feels the contact point was the head(NHL.com - has video of the hit and both players responses to the hit), should warrant a hearing, considering Great 8 left the ice before the contact was made.

If he doesn't even get a hearing, this is a complete joke. Now we all know that players must lay on the ice, and ask for the stretcher, in order for the player giving the hit to get in trouble.

It's not Torres' fault that Great 8 and other players suck at hitting compared to him. Something needs to be done if this is not looked at, as it's the same kind of thing with Torres. Only difference is someone wasn't carted off on a stretcher.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:43 AM
CitizenCoyote

I'm pulling for the Caps in that series, but if he doesn't draw a major suspension, the league will have its pants down. Maybe you could argue that unlike the Torres hit, this wasn't interference. I guess someone with a stopwatch will need to say whether it's more than .5 or not. But you have a player with a significant history of supplemental discipline making a play that leads to concussions, who clearly committed a head shot charging penalty.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:42 AM
MIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenCoyote View Post
Maybe you could argue that unlike the Torres hit, this wasn't interference. I guess someone with a stopwatch will need to say whether it's more than .5 or not.
No idea how much time elapses, but this picture clearly shows a big distance between Ovechkin and Girardi. The puck is moving away from Girardi, he had already lost control of it at this point, and Ovechkin kicks it with his skate as he goes by; similar to how Torres swatted at the puck with his stick in passing.
Plenty of time to avoid contact?

Here is a view with at least one skate off the ice and shoulder contact to the head

Looks very similar to the Torres hit, doesn't it?

Rule 56 Interference: Possession of the Puck: The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

How much time constitutes "immediate"?

I should also note that the Caps were in the offensive zone. Ovi being the scoring stud he is, why did he not try and coral the puck to either pass or put a shot on net? Answer: Because he had already made up his mind to lay out Girardi.

MIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:44 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

He's O.V. and the NHL wants that series to go 7. He aint getting nothin, boys.

Last edited by KevyD: 05-06-2012 at 11:55 AM.
KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 12:51 PM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post

How much time constitutes "immediate"?
Supposedly .5 seconds.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:12 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

this isnt even being reviewed by the league? The NBC pregame (kings/blues) didn't lay mention to this

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:26 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
this isnt even being reviewed by the league? The NBC pregame (kings/blues) didn't lay mention to this
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I saw it posted in the NYR forum that, as per ESPN, the hit will not be looked at.
I read the same thing.

KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:04 PM
amjay13

not being reviewed by league.........kinda surprising, thought he might get a game. and FTR, the torres suspension was a joke.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:31 PM
fishbert

Red is spot-on. It's the exact same hit (if anything, Ovi's the better jumper).

fishbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:07 PM
CoyoteSunDevil

I want to say the league is a complete joke (Shanahan), but media has some blame on this. NBC picks and chooses to replay "big hits." The first response to Ovechkin's hit is "Wow what a great hit", while Kesla's and Torres' is "This should be a major penalty. Hits like this will result in suspensions."

It's just a pathetic display, and even watching NBCS & NHL Network, I guess I should expect since they are being paid by the NHL that they would not have a problem with ANY of these Bulls*** suspensions.

Edit: LOL AT THE VIDEO EXPLANATION FROM SHANAHAN. He quotes what a boarding penalty is in the rulebook. No **** sherlock, he GOT a boarding penalty. Oh my god this is laughable, absolutely laughable.

Last edited by CoyoteSunDevil: 05-06-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: lol.
CoyoteSunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote