HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Dougie Hamilton - OHL Defenseman of the Year

Old
05-05-2012, 06:44 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Hamilton is 3 1/2 months older than Yakupov and 3 1/3 months older than Murray for the record.
And they have played their respective positions a lot longer than Hamilton too. He switched from Forward a few years back if I am not mistaken.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

I hope Dougie gets to be paired with Chara for a few years, could do wonders for his development. That pairing would be freaking huge physically as well.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Sides will be paired with dougie next year because it will help the Bruins ease him in

Hopefully Seguin trainning and becomeing better this offseason + Hamilton will finally get the Bruins a real powerplay

Seguin - Krejci - Horton (Parise)
Dougie - Chara

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Wasn't overly impressed with his game tonight, especially in the 2nd and 3rd periods. I'd love to see him be a lot more aggressive and engage physically more often. He's too passive for my liking. His defensive instincts need work as well.

That being said, he's obviously got tons of potential. I expect him to be back in Niagara next year, though.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
Wasn't overly impressed with his game tonight, especially in the 2nd and 3rd periods. I'd love to see him be a lot more aggressive and engage physically more often. He's too passive for my liking. His defensive instincts need work as well.

That being said, he's obviously got tons of potential. I expect him to be back in Niagara next year, though.
You would be in the minority with that thought.

A player won't get better beating up on lesser competition. Hamilton flat out dominated this year and has nothing to left to prove/do in the OHL... unfortauntly AHL is out of the equation, so NHL is probably best for him.

No point have him go back to JR's and flat out dominate.... again.

A person only gets better by playing better competition... also being around Chara/Seidenberg and other NHL professionals will do wonders for the kid, learning the game and slowly brought along (like Seguin's rookie year)

Expect Hamilton to be the #6/7 defenseman in Boston next year.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:19 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Hamilton is 3 1/2 months older than Yakupov and 3 1/3 months older than Murray for the record.
And has had an extra year of development.

JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:32 PM
james30

Not really....Hamilton 3 years in the OHL. Ryan Murray 4 years in the WHL (the WHL drafts a year early...Ryan played in the play offs that year. Not even going to compare either of these 2 to a Russian. Development totally diffferent.

And I agree with Uncle Howie. Was that the first time you have seen Hamilton play. Seems to me you have been on the East coast all year watching the QMHL! You must have missed the fact that he got a 10 game suspension earlier in the year. Watch Tinordi, Oleksiak and Hamilton play a few more games and then tell me whether or not all three should be playing more aggressively. This is the OHL Final and the opportunity to play in the Memorial Cup! All 3 of those boys will be playing more "aggressively" at the next level because they won't be hitting players that are at their shoulder level or below!

Last edited by james30: 05-06-2012 at 01:39 PM.
james30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:39 PM
james30

Not really....Hamilton 3 years in the OHL. Ryan Murray 4 years in the WHL (the WHL drafts a year early...Ryan played in the play offs that year. Not even going to compare either of these 2 to a Russian. Development totally diffferent.

james30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:09 PM
loozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
Not really, I believe in Canada as well as most European countries youth groups are split based on birth year. Yakupov, Murray, and Hamilton are all in the same birth year, so unless one of them came to hockey late by choice, they would have had the same amount of development time.

I always thought this was an interesting part of the draft, because the draft cutoff is in september, and in a lot of youth systems the cutoff for a given age group is in January, the new year, The oldest prospects in the draft have had an extra year of development. I honestly don't know if this has an affect on how scouts look at lower tier prospects or not. It doesn't seem like something most people talk about when looking at top tier prospects.

For instance, I know when Tyler Seguin and Taylor hall were being compared, the fact that hall had an extra year in the ohl wasn't talked about very much. At least I don't remember it being talked about very much.

loozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:12 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Murray and Hamilton were both CHL rookies in 2009-2010.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Can't be a better D-man to learn to play from when he hits the NHL then Chara. Hamilton is going to be a beast defensively.

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:50 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Murray and Hamilton were both CHL rookies in 2009-2010.
You cannot downplay the 3+ extra months of development, the responsibilities given to those at different stages, the opportunities (including number of international competitions) given to those of different draft years/ages, or most importantly, the help and support given by professional organizations once prospects are drafted.

Not to mention that many people on these forums base their rankings off of international scouting that look at far more than just the points that many of you are judging Hamilton by, and none of you know how Hamilton would be rated even if he was eligible for this year's draft.

Not to mention that it is not only Murray that people are comparing him too, and many people in this draft year have had less years or less experiences playing at that level than Hamilton.

JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Paul MacLeans stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
Can't be a better D-man to learn to play from when he hits the NHL then Chara. Hamilton is going to be a beast defensively.
I can think of many.

Paul MacLeans stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:37 PM
rocketdan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul MacLeans stache View Post
I can think of many.
name some then.

Chara is one of the top 5 premier defenders in the league right now. You can ask, the Sedins, Ovie about this

rocketdan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Canuck71

I have had the privilege of watching him several times the past few years and he is a beast. Looks like a man amongst boys out there. I had him going 3rd overall in my 2011 mock last year and certainly still stand by that. Cannot believe he fell to 9th. He is only going to add to that scary corp of Bruins defense.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:16 AM
ed bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
name some then.

Chara is one of the top 5 premier defenders in the league right now. You can ask, the Sedins, Ovie about this
Not to mention Hamilton could feed off of Chara's work ethic which nobody can argue against

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:02 PM
loozer

Quote:
You cannot downplay the 3+ extra months of development, the responsibilities given to those at different stages, the opportunities (including number of international competitions) given to those of different draft years/ages, or most importantly, the help and support given by professional organizations once prospects are drafted.

Not to mention that many people on these forums base their rankings off of international scouting that look at far more than just the points that many of you are judging Hamilton by, and none of you know how Hamilton would be rated even if he was eligible for this year's draft.

Not to mention that it is not only Murray that people are comparing him too, and many people in this draft year have had less years or less experiences playing at that level than Hamilton.
I'm not sure about comparing Hamilton to the rest of the field, but comparing him to Murray seems to be pretty accurate.

Like I said previously Murray and Hamilton are born in the same year which means that barring one of them playing up a level, they grew up playing at the same age level their entire lives, Murray was actually able to get into Junior playoffs a year before Hamilton due to some different rules in the W and the O.

Again, they are in the same age group so it doesn't really make sense to talk about opportunities, and responsibilities given to them at different stages. Also Murray has played in more international competitions than Dougie to this point due to Dougie not being selected to the U18 when he was a 16 year old as Murray was, and not being eligible at 17 due to Niagra being in the playoffs.

As for comparing them, I really haven't seen enough of Murray to have a valid opinion on that. But for those that do they are in very similar points of development in their careers, so it is perfectly valid to compare them. The only thing that Dougie has had a chance to do because of his age that Murray hasn't is attend a Professional Development, and training camp. So, I guess if you want to say that invalidates comparisons between the two you can. But other than that, age hasn't provided Dougie with any more or less opportunity than Murray, because they played in the same age group growing up.

loozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Hamilton's truly impressive. He often looks like a man amongst boys out there. Boston got a steal, IMO, when he dropped all the way to them.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I disagree.

3rd overall maybe, but not 2nd overall over Ryan Murray. I really think Murray is a special player; he just wins at every level.
Umm... what?

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
You would be in the minority with that thought.

A player won't get better beating up on lesser competition. Hamilton flat out dominated this year and has nothing to left to prove/do in the OHL... unfortauntly AHL is out of the equation, so NHL is probably best for him.

No point have him go back to JR's and flat out dominate.... again.

A person only gets better by playing better competition... also being around Chara/Seidenberg and other NHL professionals will do wonders for the kid, learning the game and slowly brought along (like Seguin's rookie year)

Expect Hamilton to be the #6/7 defenseman in Boston next year.
First, I'm not really worried if I'm the only one with an opinion or if I'm in the majority. I don't make opinions based on the 'consensus' thought.

As for Hamilton, I agree he had a great year offensively, no doubt. That being said, after watching him play I still feel he has a ways to go with his aggressiveness/physicality and defensive instincts. Too often he stick checks opponents as opposed to using his size.

Personally, I don't see the rush in playing Hamilton in the NHL. I agree the AHL would be ideal, but sending him back to Niagara so that he can improve his aggressiveness/physicality and defensive instincts, while playing in another WJC isn't the worst thing.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:13 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

but with his size he'll also have to be careful not to get suspended

He's clearly too good for the OHL, I think he should play with the Bruins next season, defensemans take a long time at the NHL level too

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:21 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Swift View Post
Knight played with Kadri in his draft year and STILL hasn't matched his goal total from that year, despite being 2 years older.

Knight plays on a perennially offensive Knights team.

Carrick plays on one of the lowest scoring teams in the OHL.
Carrick has nothing on Knight. Knight is wayyyy ahead of him in talent. But yes, most other teams have a prospect like Knight.

Hamilton is a beast, if he gets a nasty physical game going I'd dream of him turning into a Progner type player!

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
Sides will be paired with dougie next year because it will help the Bruins ease him in

Hopefully Seguin trainning and becomeing better this offseason + Hamilton will finally get the Bruins a real powerplay

Seguin - Krejci - Horton (Parise)
Dougie - Chara
I could see him being paired with McQuaid on the bottom pairing.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Koekkoek4U
Anthony Eclair

Yeah he deserves that title. He'll be like Karlsson one day. Sucks he's going to Boston. Seems like Boston is always getting better and better. Like, is there a point of being a Bruins fan? Like your team will never stop dominating the league with their roster. It's like being a Yankee fan.

Koekkoek4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
First, I'm not really worried if I'm the only one with an opinion or if I'm in the majority. I don't make opinions based on the 'consensus' thought.

As for Hamilton, I agree he had a great year offensively, no doubt. That being said, after watching him play I still feel he has a ways to go with his aggressiveness/physicality and defensive instincts. Too often he stick checks opponents as opposed to using his size.

Personally, I don't see the rush in playing Hamilton in the NHL. I agree the AHL would be ideal, but sending him back to Niagara so that he can improve his aggressiveness/physicality and defensive instincts, while playing in another WJC isn't the worst thing.
It's not about being rushed, but more about what is best for his development. What benefit does it serve a 6'4" defenseman to return to junior for another year to battle against 17 and 18 year old kids, when he could spend every day learning from guys like Zdeno Chara and Dennis Seidenberg how to play defense in the NHL. I'd rather see Hamilton play 12-15 minutes/night on the bottom pairing, sit next to Chara in the locker room every day, and learn what it takes to be successful in the NHL for the next 15 years...rather than return to his billets care, play against teenagers, and try to top a season that already named him the best defenseman in the OHL.

It's nonsensical. No one inferring that Hamilton should be prepared to come in and play top pairing minutes right away, but he's got nothing to prove in the OHL. He's grown as much as he can grow there.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote