HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Discussion Thread IX: Kings win in 6!

Old
05-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
The Los Angeles Kings, benefiting at the Oilers expense since 1988.
It arguably started in 1982..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Fuhryous

vCash: 50
Wow...the Kings are 8-1 against the #1 & #2 seeds in the Western Conference, and were up 3-0 in both series'. Since it's looking more and more like the 'Yotes are going to knock out the Pred's, that would be hilarious if the Kings also took them out, thus knocking off the 1, 2 & 3 seeds in numerical order.

They way they have played against the Canucks and Blues, they deserve to be in the final, I hope they make it.

Fuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

A Flyers/Kings final would be epic. Storylines galore with Richards and Carter on the Kings.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Qrispy

I hate the Flyers. I don't think they can make it past NJ with the way they're playing let alone get to the SCF. I think the Rangers will lose to the Caps as well. LA vs Washington final would be pretty interesting.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Everest

The Kings have done their chances a huge favor by disposing on STL in 4 straight games.

All the sudden every concern about travel and fatigue is washed away for them. This is unheard of from a #8 seed. They are dominating like only top seed teams are supposed to do.

Its all predicated on defence.

Martinez has been very impressive all spring. In my eyes...he is the Kings #2 defenceman behind Doughty.

Brown is having a gigantic playoffs.

But they guy who is quietly doing everything right...Anze Kopitar. Wow! Every game I have watched, Kopitar is continually lockedon the puck, methodically building up a mountian of possesion time and really enabling LA to play in a comfortable tempo despite the fact they've struggled to score in all but a few playoff games.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
With all due respect a lot of revisionist history has occurred since the trade. When the trade was made it was Teubert that was considered the big addition and people generally didn't think we would bag all that much out of a 19th pick and just looking at what kind of player gets selected later in first rounds it wasn't a great chance.

Now we got lucky and got Klefbom kinda late. The whole stock and value in this trade has reversed. Now Klefbom is clearly considered by everybody to be the better prospect.
I don't remember all that many people being overly thrilled with the acquisition of Teubert in that deal. A lot more of "1st rounder is nice, but would have preferred someone else out of LA" from my memory.

Good LA made it through the Blues. I like the Kings. A number of former Oilers who were good players here. I'm glad Penner is making an impact. It's nice to see after such a miserable regular season. 7 points, +7 playing 12:25 a night. He's making a lot out of not much ice time.

I wonder how Blues fans feel about their season. On one hand, it is pretty incredible that they finished as high as they did, and winning a 1st round series is no joke, but swept in 4 by the 8th place team after being the 3rd best team in the regular season has got to sting.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Beerfish

The kings had the size and grit to not only match but surpass the blues in hitting, bully dept. The last game of the oilers vs st louis showed that the oilers cannot in any way compete against these big teams with some skill.

Good thing we have such a fine captain like Horcules, right up there in the Brown, Ovechkin, Parise, Callahan, Doan category.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Fuhryous

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
The Kings have done their chances a huge favor by disposing on STL in 4 straight games.

All the sudden every concern about travel and fatigue is washed away for them. This is unheard of from a #8 seed. They are dominating like only top seed teams are supposed to do.

Martinez has been very impressive all spring. In my eyes...he is the Kings #2 defenceman behind Doughty.

But they guy who is quietly doing everything right...Anze Kopitar. Wow! Every game I have watched, Kopitar is continually lockedon the puck, methodically building up a mountian of possesion time and really enabling LA to play in a comfortable tempo despite the fact they've struggled to score in all but a few playoff games.
I don't know what Sutter did to get Penner going, but he has really impressed me...seems to be back checking well and imposing his size/strength. He may not be putting up the points, but I think he has been playing pretty darn good through rounds 1 & 2 so far.

Fuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
I don't know what Sutter did to get Penner going, but he has really impressed me...seems to be back checking well and imposing his size/strength. He may not be putting up the points, but I think he has been playing pretty darn good through rounds 1 & 2 so far.
I saw some indifferent play in round one from Penner.

The rest of the team was running so hot it had to ignite even the least combustible of hearts & Penner has been outstanding in round two.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The kings had the size and grit to not only match but surpass the blues in hitting, bully dept. The last game of the oilers vs st louis showed that the oilers cannot in any way compete against these big teams with some skill.

Good thing we have such a fine captain like Horcules, right up there in the Brown, Ovechkin, Parise, Callahan, Doan category.
Don't remind me. Ugh.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:19 PM
vb

Quote:

In 5 years Kopitar has learned the lessons it took Joe Thornton a decade to master. Very impressive!

Today I'm wondering how Ryan Smyth is feeling. Requesting the trade gave the Kings cap flexibility and Fraser looks like a great fit on the 4th. I wonder if Ryan wishes he was still a King. Bad luck on his part.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:30 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Keeping in mind only one of the 5 mentioned here has actually made the third round as of today...

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:59 PM
awesomo
HARD!

I don't think ovi is that good of a captain. He'd be betterwithout it too. Free ovi!

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
I don't think ovi is that good of a captain. He'd be betterwithout it too. Free ovi!
Yeah, I don't think he's the ideal captain either but every time a teammate scores a goal, you can see him pumped on the bench and celebrating like he had scored it. Even with limited minutes, he doesn't pout and instead tries to make the most of it. He's a total team guy.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
In 5 years Kopitar has learned the lessons it took Joe Thornton a decade to master. Very impressive!

Today I'm wondering how Ryan Smyth is feeling. Requesting the trade gave the Kings cap flexibility and Fraser looks like a great fit on the 4th. I wonder if Ryan wishes he was still a King. Bad luck on his part.
I don't think his request to get out of LA had anything to do with how he felt the team was looking on the ice. Even prior to his trade request the Kings had a solid roster.

It was a lack of communication & support from management and the former coaching staff down there that turned his desire to stay around.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Kyle McMahon

LA gets through to the WC Final with only one loss. 1995 Red Wings are the only other team to do that in the west under the current playoff format. For a team that plays as physical as the Kings, all this extra rest will benefit them.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Everest

When we dealt Penner to LA...there was a conditional pick thrown in for the 2012 draft.

I am not sure...but..safe to assume LA going to the conference finals boosts that back from a 3rd to a 2nd rounder.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:30 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
When we dealt Penner to LA...there was a conditional pick thrown in for the 2012 draft.

I am not sure...but..safe to assume LA going to the conference finals boosts that back from a 3rd to a 2nd rounder.
Never knew of that, I would imagine a second or third, obviously not the first with Carter and CBJ deal.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:54 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:

Nah, the condition was winning the 2011 Stanley Cup.

It's still a 3rd rounder.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

So it's looking like the Kings are getting the better end of that trade.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Nah, the condition was winning the 2011 Stanley Cup.

It's still a 3rd rounder.
Its a 2nd rounder:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355857

I had originally assumed the "conditions" for the 2012 pick would relate to this season.

Apparently it was based on LA's finish LAST season.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Everest

The Flyers played over their heads against Pittsburgh.

Jersey is handling them with ease now.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:29 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Its a 2nd rounder:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355857

I had originally assumed the "conditions" for the 2012 pick would relate to this season.

Apparently it was based on LA's finish LAST season.
2nd Rounder if they won the 2011 Stanley Cup. 3rd Rounder if they didn't.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
2nd Rounder if they won the 2011 Stanley Cup. 3rd Rounder if they didn't.
Thats not what the article says. It clearly says the 3rd rounder could become a 2nd rounder if LA makes the playoffs. There is no mention of a Stanley Cup.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:34 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Thats not what the article says. It clearly says the 3rd rounder could become a 2nd rounder if LA makes the playoffs. There is no mention of a Stanley Cup.
Yeah, that's an error on TSN's part.

Quote:
Traded Dustin Penner to Kings for Colten Teubert, 2011 first round pick (#19- Oscar Klefbom), 2012 conditional pick (second round if Kings win 2011 Stanley Cup, else third round) (?-?) on 2011-02-28