HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLIII All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
You got to respect how the Devils have showed faith in so many older vets, the kind that would be dismissed for being past their prime. And it's paying off.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Patccmoi

That was a total headshot by Giroux, which also happened to be a late hit, with 3 seconds left in the period...

If this wasn't the NHL I would be sure he was getting suspended for that. But no, it's the NHL, he got a high-sticking penalty. And maybe a 2500$ fine will be coming...

Old
05-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Healy is an idiot..

Old
05-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Kriss E

What a dirty move by Giroux. It still surprises me how some players, who've gone through dirty hits leading to concussions, actually go out and throw dirty hits themselves.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What a dirty move by Giroux. It still surprises me how some players, who've gone through dirty hits leading to concussions, actually go out and throw dirty hits themselves.
I don't think he was TRYING to hit him dirty but it ended up that way. If taht was a no name player he probably gets 5 and a game.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think he was TRYING to hit him dirty but it ended up that way. If taht was a no name player he probably gets 5 and a game.
Giroux was clearly pissed off about something and was taking out his frustration. I'm pretty sure he knew exactly how he was hitting him.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:06 PM
No Style Points

Poor Pierre McGuire, he's mentioned the Habs 3-4 times already on the NBC broadcast. You think he's still thinking about the GM gig?

Old
05-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

And Zubrus seals it with the empty netter in the end?!? Hahaha. More back sass for Giroux.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
And Zubrus seals it with the empty netter in the end?!? Hahaha. More back sass for Giroux.
With that i'm quite sure Giroux will not be suspended.

I think he deserves a game. I don't think he targetted the chin but that was very late and it was pure frustration.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Continued proof you need a goalie to win the majority of the time.

You have have a ****** goalie and expect to win.

Unless the other goalie is worse.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

It's not just goaltending, Phillie can't seem to maintain the tempo of the run and gun stayle they played against Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately...or fortunately for us in today's NHL, goaltending and a tight defensive game is what wins, not loosey goosey style trying to outscore the opposition.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

So much for having the Habs emulate the Flyer model! By now it should be obvious that the lust for Bryzgalov was not covered by the necessary protection.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:34 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not just goaltending, Phillie can't seem to maintain the tempo of the run and gun stayle they played against Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately...or fortunately for us in today's NHL, goaltending and a tight defensive game is what wins, not loosey goosey style trying to outscore the opposition.
The Habs have the perfect examples of both styles in the last 5 seasons. Top team in the East and terrible in the playoffs because it was all offence and special teams, no real grit either.

Then the 8th seed, not expected to do much, but hot goaltending and solid defensive play led to two very big upsets.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:38 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Um. Bryz played well tonight and he's played pretty well for the most part in this series.

The issue is the defense.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:40 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
So much for having the Habs emulate the Flyer model! By now it should be obvious that the lust for Bryzgalov was not covered by the necessary protection.
And lets completely forget about the Flyers missing Pronger, Kubina and Mezaros on the back end.

I mean, I've heard the Markov excuse for 3 years now. Other teams should be afforded that excuse as well.

This place is so reactionary

Old
05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
the exaggerated "love" of any team doing well in the playoffs aside, the flyers "model" is still pretty damn good.

let's not forget that they are playing without Pronger, and as much as their fwds have been "flat" vs NJ, if they had a Dman of Pronger's stature playing 20+min/night, I think the series would be going quite differently.

if anything, once again the key message coming out of playoff success is to:
- get excellent goaltending
- have enough quality depth to get production out of bottom-6 fwds & either a top-4 D that can play almost full game or have a bottom pairing that can handle 12-15min/game effectively.

it's why the habs, despite the 15th finish in the east, could quite quickly become contenders with just 1-2 quality additions.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
at one point on my screen tonight, it was 27-7 shots in favor of NJ...score 2-2......NJ ends with 43 shots.....

The other night Flyers get there first shot on goal in second period, with under 2 mins left in 2nd period.....

Bryz isn't the problem in last few games IMHO...

Old
05-07-2012, 12:56 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Is it time to follow the Kings model yet?
Desjardins called them "the first team built on Corsi and Qualcomp", and he's not wrong.

Beautiful puck possession team that was incredibly unlucky shooting in the regular season. Luck turns, goodness stays.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:58 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Ha! We did a couple of years ago - squeek into the playoffs, and get ridiculous goaltending at the right time.
The Kings are an entirely different animal than the 09-10 Habs. They're a lot like the 10-11 Habs actually (good puck possession, bad shooting percentage), only more so.

The Caps, on the other hand...

Old
05-07-2012, 01:18 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
Giroux was clearly pissed off about something and was taking out his frustration. I'm pretty sure he knew exactly how he was hitting him.
Pissed because the refs didn't call Brodeur outside the trapezoid. Very childish behaviour and ofcourse illegal hit to the head. Should get 2 games... but I doubt the Flyers even last more than a game.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
The reason the "Flyer model" is not working is because their planned defense corps boss, Pronger, is out of commission...and their goaltender is pretty bad. But you can't say they didn't try to address either aspect of their team, although they did hold off on trying to address goalie for the longest time.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:31 AM
OneSharpMarble

Flyers are now out and the kings are the new flavor of the week here I see.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:57 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

personally, getting swept couldn't have happened to a better [HF] fanbase. suck it bloos. let see that smugness now

Old
05-07-2012, 03:24 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
With that i'm quite sure Giroux will not be suspended.

I think he deserves a game. I don't think he targetted the chin but that was very late and it was pure frustration.
I think it was obvious he targeted the head. You don't raise your shoulder by coincidence. The guy aimed high. If you look at the replay, you can see he was frustrated about something, and then, 4 seconds later he throws this hit. It ain't all a coincidence now, come on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
The reason the "Flyer model" is not working is because their planned defense corps boss, Pronger, is out of commission...and their goaltender is pretty bad. But you can't say they didn't try to address either aspect of their team, although they did hold off on trying to address goalie for the longest time.
But that didn't stop people from praising the Flyers in the 1st round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Patrick Boivin was hired by the Canadiens because his daddy is Pierre Boivin, not because he has what it takes to do an excellent job.

From the Canadiens website........

"He also assists the general manager in contract negotiations and cap management while acting as a liaison with Canadiens affiliate team in Hamilton."

How many posts have there been regarding the horrible contract given to the oft injured Markov?

No thanks. If Molson is serious about the Canadiens returning to past glory, the last vestiges of Pierre Boivin's reign need to be erased..............Patrick Boivin included.
Well, I'm not defending Boivin Jr because I have no idea what his background actually is, but I don't think he has a say in what value a certain player should have. I don't think it's a capologist's job to determine how much money Markov should be receiving. They're essentially accountants, nothing more.
At least that's what I believe. Because if we hire a cap guy that is good with numbers and also determines how much a player should be offered, then shouldn't he be GM??

Old
05-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Protest the Hero

Surprise, Crosby isn't the only star who gets frustrated during the game and makes mistakes. I don't expect anyone to get into an uproar about Grioux though.

Closed Thread