HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

ECSF #4|May 6, 2012|Flyers at Devils|7:30 p.m. ET

Old
05-06-2012, 09:24 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
If the Flyers end up ultimately losing this series, it'll be the 2nd most disappointing series I've watched in my lifetime (1st being 2010 finals).

Just thoroughly outplayed offensively and defensively. The only aspect of the game we were better was between the pipes. So so disappointing.
What about laste year against Boston?

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:25 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

well at least we beat the penguins. penguins suck.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Swiper the Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
If the Flyers end up ultimately losing this series, it'll be the 2nd most disappointing series I've watched in my lifetime (1st being 2010 finals).

Just thoroughly outplayed offensively and defensively. The only aspect of the game we were better was between the pipes. So so disappointing.
they played better in the finals then this
even more disappointing was the bruins sweeping us last year
this looks more like a team we had last year

they used up all their piss and vinegar against the penguins and show NO signs of motivation
the other team clearly wants the puck more and are dictating how the game will be played

even if we can come back and win this series (which i believe is still possible) do they really think they 'll get past rangers/caps and then LA (flyerswest)
seems LA could do more with ex-flyers players then the flyers themselves

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kimmofan44

i don't know why but i always get angry that i have to see other teams fans happy and en joying themselves during loses/series like this. i start wishing physical harm on devils fans for being happy. please tell me i'm ot the only one who has this inititial reaction. my buddy says i'm crazy.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
It's hilarious that with Lavi as coach every time something goes wrong with the Flyers it's his fault, but when when Stevens was coach it was never his fault.
Very funny stuff indeed. Tell me then why Laviolette isn't accountable for the Flyers year-long lack or altogether non existent commitment to team defense. He should be let go in the off season. He has taken this team as far as his system will allow. He's turned this team into the 2008-11 Washington Capitals.

They have not changed one iota since the Winnipeg game.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Am I the only person that isn't angry? I mean, if anything I just hope this is a wake up call to Homer on getting us better, and more stable defense. With Bryz looking great with crap D, I think the whole goalie debate is done. We have forwards that can score like crazy (just not right now they aren't). Come up with better plans and a hopefully a better system.
I'm not too angry.

When you rationalise it.

1. Our D is so banged up we have 2 of our top 5 out completely, 2 obviously carrying knocks, and our backup D men out injured as well!

(Pronger)
Kimmo (carrying injury)
Coburn
(Mez)
Grossmann (carrying injury)
Carle (carrying permanent brain and wrist injuries)
(Bourdon)
Kubina (apparently injured)
Lilja
Gus

Out of 10 guys 3 are out, 3 are playing injured and 1 is over the hill, one is inexperienced. What other D in the NHL is in such bad injury trouble.

2. The team was completely rebuilt, lots of exciting, young players, who will be great for years.

3. At the start of the year I figured we would scrape into the playoffs, 1st round exit.

4. We watched Giroux turn into a superstar.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Go For It

LOL Pierre so creepy.

Paraphrasing: "You're 40 now. I've watched you since you were 16. So many happy memories, right?"

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
You're trying to change the subject. The subject is this game, this series. And the FACT is that the Flyers are not prepared. They are disorganized and rudderless. And that is on the coach.
Really? I thought they were a team filled with rookies, injury riddled defense and without their captain ( who just also happened to be one of the best d-men in the NHL and most productive postseason players since the lockout ); but, I guess I was mistaken.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Hartnell has a -5?
He has been Jagr bad last 2 games, just awful. And no injury excuses will fly either, even injured guys dont get crushed every second

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:27 PM
TheBeastCZ

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBeastCZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
i don't know why but i always get angry that i have to see other teams fans happy and en joying themselves during loses/series like this. i start wishing physical harm on devils fans for being happy. please tell me i'm ot the only one who has this inititial reaction. my buddy says i'm crazy.
You're definitely not the only one

TheBeastCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
They are loosing in this series by failing to adjust. They are outcoached, outsmarted and subsequently outplayed.
Lavi can't grow new defensemen on trees. They are loosing because the defense can't deal with this forecheck. There isn't a coach in the league that can change that.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ToddMcF2002
Rookie User

Quote:
If losing wasn't painful winning wouldn't amaze.

ToddMcF2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm not saying to change coaches, but if we can implement a method more like the Caps (yes I said the Caps) of being able to bottle up good offenses and able to transition more evenly, then it can be fine. What I'm getting at is that the Caps went from run-and-gun to a more balanced game, instead of more offensive minded. Even though I love being highly offensive, it can really, really damage a team. Pens are run-and-gun. Bolts are run-and-gun. Boston and Ottawa are run-and-gun. And they aren't in the playoffs right now. The Flyers are the last run-and-gun team left in the playoffs and it shows what happens.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:28 PM
bennysflyers16

Just wait till Carle signs his 5 yr extension

Old
05-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Eric Lindros

I said it before, I'll say it again:

It's not THE reason the Flyers are losing this series, but it's very frustrating to watch them not hit anybody. I'm convinced that they're happy to have a series without physicality in it after how physical the series with Pittsburgh was.

But they're letting the Devils get away without being hit. Ever. And the Flyers are at their best when they're crushing the first defender and establishing a forecheck. Or when they're knocking guys down in the defensive zone.

I've watched more players let up on checking someone in this series than I have have before. You hit and you're engaged. You're engaged and you skate. You skate and you win.

They're just standing around and I think a lot of that can be changed with some physicality. Some after the whistle stuff. Some emotion.

Eric Lindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:29 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
Very funny stuff indeed. Tell me then why Laviolette isn't accountable for the Flyers year-long lack or altogether non existent commitment to team defense. He should be let go in the off season. He has taken this team as far as his system will allow. He's turned this team into the 2008-11 Washington Capitals.

They have not changed one iota since the Winnipeg game.
Their inability, or unwillingness, to play team defense is hard to understand, unless it comes from the top.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:30 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
What about laste year against Boston?
After the goalie carousel that was round one, I didn't honestly believe they had a realistic shot at the cup last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
they played better in the finals then this
even more disappointing was the bruins sweeping us last year
this looks more like a team we had last year

they used up all their piss and vinegar against the penguins and show NO signs of motivation
the other team clearly wants the puck more and are dictating how the game will be played

even if we can come back and win this series (which i believe is still possible) do they really think they 'll get past rangers/caps and then LA (flyerswest)
seems LA could do more with ex-flyers players then the flyers themselves
2010 was more disappointing to me because of being that close and how they lost.

I really felt that were going to bowl over the Devils and have a legit shot at the finals. To lose like this after such a high of beating Pittsburgh just sucks.

Still one more win to go for New Jersey and I'd be dumb to count these guys out, but my confidence has definently been completely shaken.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:30 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Lavi can't grow new defensemen on trees. They are loosing because the defense can't deal with this forecheck. There isn't a coach in the league that can change that.
Offense has been just as bad. The Devs coaches have game planned us to perfection. They go to spots before we even skate to them, they know exactly what we are doing at every moment.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:31 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
You don't deal with forecheck with just your defense.

Old
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Eh. I sorta feel that way with the Penguins, which is why I was always afraid of them coming the back.

The Devils fans just provide comic relief with their inferiority complex they've got going on.
They're up 3-1 and all I see them posting is "Flyers in 5 ZOMGQTFBBQ!!!!!!!!11111111111oneone".

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
StandingCow

I was trying to find that thread before the season started... where we were predicting where the flyers would end up since this is a rebuilding year...

I remember I said they would barely make the playoffs and see a 1st round exit... so, in a rebuild year they have already exceeded my expectations, not that this is the exit I wanted.

But getting knocked out in this way is a good thing for next year, it shows that we NEED good defense for a long playoff run... the pronger injury really came back to bite us. Now we need to be willing to let go of somebody that is going to help bring one or two good D men in.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I was trying to find that thread before the season started... where we were predicting where the flyers would end up since this is a rebuilding year...

I remember I said they would barely make the playoffs and see a 1st round exit... so, in a rebuild year they have already exceeded my expectations, not that this is the exit I wanted.

But getting knocked out in this way is a good thing for next year, it shows that we NEED good defense for a long playoff run... the pronger injury really came back to bite us. Now we need to be willing to let go of somebody that is going to help bring one or two good D men in.
And don't forget Mez. Mez can hit and shoot. Better than Gus and Lilja combined.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:33 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Really? I thought they were a team filled with rookies, injury riddled defense and without their captain ( who just also happened to be one of the best d-men in the NHL and most productive postseason players since the lockout ); but, I guess I was mistaken.
I think you are making excuses now. If you watched tonight and you think you saw an adequately coached team, well i just dont know what to say.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:33 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

**** this team.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote