HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Our Top 3 Offensive prospects

Old
05-05-2012, 09:59 PM
MVW

vCash: 50
Run along now and go play Timmy, and let the grown ups talk.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
if howse hits his potential hes gonna be a threat... looking at his stats this past year it looks bad, but he finished the season off very VERY well and thats thanks to ward... i love the fact we have a coach like ward down there, i hope he remains there for another 2 years-ish to help develope theses guys before comping here...

My list

Bartshci
Howse
Gaudreau
Grandlund
Ferland
Arnold
Reinhart

more than three lol

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:50 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
if howse hits his potential hes gonna be a threat... looking at his stats this past year it looks bad, but he finished the season off very VERY well and thats thanks to ward... i love the fact we have a coach like ward down there, i hope he remains there for another 2 years-ish to help develope theses guys before comping here...

My list

Bartshci
Howse
Gaudreau
Grandlund
Ferland
Arnold
Reinhart

more than three lol
Good to know that so many have high hopes for Howse. I'm looking more forward to camp this year, should be a good one. Hope for a sleeper in one of Howse or Ferland this year.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
No real flaws but he has yet to show an "elite" level of specialization. Though if he keeps working on skating then I can see his offensive numbers go up. On the other hand at least you can plug him into a bottom six role too. The only issue I had with him is that both his junior linemates have already surpassed him so I feel his junior offensive numbers were more and indication of his line mates than him. Decent ahl numbers so there might be more potential there certainly but I'm nit really holding my breath at this point.
Nemisz has been an elite penalty killer and defensive forward at every level, including the AHL. And how can Nemisz show an elite level of anything at the NHL level when he hasn't played a while lot?

And who cares of if his Junior linemates have passed him? That means absolutely nothing.

The guy is a power forward (we all know they develop a little slower), he has also been moved from RW to center, so that will slow things down a little too. If you listen to any Heat games Nemisz is always in the thick of things when things are going well for the team, he is very much the catalyst of that team.

He also has extremely soft hands for a big guy.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:02 AM
flameaholic
FOREVER a Flame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Good to know that so many have high hopes for Howse. I'm looking more forward to camp this year, should be a good one. Hope for a sleeper in one of Howse or Ferland this year.
How can anyone have high hopes for Howse? He's not even in Abbotsford's lineup. I've been watching the Heat's 2nd round series versus the Marlies and I have to be honest, there's not a lot to look forward to for the future.

Most of the players are career minor-leaguers, some aren't even under contract with the Flames. Even the ones that are considered to be Flames prospects have 3rd/4th line (Nemisz/Aliu) or 5th/6th d-men (Breen) potential.

Heck, even Leland Irving seems to have regressed.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

To be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to a Baertschi-Backlund-Nemisz line next year.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to a Baertschi-Backlund-Nemisz line next year.
i dont think they ( X coach) will put nemisz on there wing all year but i can see

Bartschi - Backlund - Iginla for sure

Old
05-06-2012, 03:03 AM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
ive been excited for a while lol, and ferland i loved too... i think he could be alot like prust, but with more offensive upside.

But i dont think Grandlund gets enough attention, hes a guy that mainly minny fans know lol (cause they want him)

Old
05-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
How can anyone have high hopes for Howse? He's not even in Abbotsford's lineup. I've been watching the Heat's 2nd round series versus the Marlies and I have to be honest, there's not a lot to look forward to for the future.

Most of the players are career minor-leaguers, some aren't even under contract with the Flames. Even the ones that are considered to be Flames prospects have 3rd/4th line (Nemisz/Aliu) or 5th/6th d-men (Breen) potential.

gotta remember this is a new crop of ahlers

kolanos
wilson
sylvester
bryon
jessimen
connelly
estoclet
aliu
desbien
howse
+ much more have never played together

Most guys going in to the ahl donot always do good offensively in there first year and after the injury season and call up they had around 50 guys come in and out of the line up

im gonna give them at least one more season with

Rienhart
Leach
Ferland
Howse
Wahl
Martin
Eddy (idk where the flames have him on there depth charts but i'd imagine AHL)
Lamb (refer to eddy)

all fully in the line up (stability) next year till i judge them all

Old
05-06-2012, 01:49 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Nemisz has been an elite penalty killer and defensive forward at every level, including the AHL. And how can Nemisz show an elite level of anything at the NHL level when he hasn't played a while lot?

And who cares of if his Junior linemates have passed him? That means absolutely nothing.

The guy is a power forward (we all know they develop a little slower), he has also been moved from RW to center, so that will slow things down a little too. If you listen to any Heat games Nemisz is always in the thick of things when things are going well for the team, he is very much the catalyst of that team.

He also has extremely soft hands for a big guy.

By elite potential I mean in those callups and games I've seen, I haven't seen the "flashes of brilliance" that usually accompany prospects with that potential. When all is said and done my expectation is that he is a 3rd line guy that has might turn into a 2nd line winger. In the best scenario he breaks out into the next Todd Bertuzzi. Never really doubted the defensive side of the puck since that's basically been his calling card the AHL lately.

It would be a very good thing if he proved me wrong and turned into a big time scorer.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:15 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:

You have been watching it have you.

Irving hasn't played a game, so how the **** can he look like he's regressed? Howse has been injured for over a month, so it's pretty obvious why he's not in the lineup. The Heat have been rolling so far and had a single bad game versus the Marlies to even the series. The sky is definitely falling. I like it when fans take a critical eye to the team, but jesus man, pay ****ing attention to what you're supposedly watching.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:47 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Just to throw a curveball at everyone, I think our top offensive prospect is not Baertschi but is Mr. Gaudreau. The kid has exceptional tools to work with. He has vision like no other player I have seen since a certain player who sall not be named for the Oilers. The big question is how long before he arrives if he ever arrives at all?
If you think he's that good, why do you question if he will ever arrive?

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:13 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
If you think he's that good, why do you question if he will ever arrive?
size. His skill level is unreal.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

If you look at other players with small stature (Desharnais, St. Louis, Tedenby), they all have exceptional balance and strength on their skates. If Gaudreau has a good head and defensive awareness I don't see why he can't make it to the show (Assuming he works on skating).

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:47 PM
flameaholic
FOREVER a Flame!

Quote:
You have been watching it have you.

Irving hasn't played a game, so how the **** can he look like he's regressed? Howse has been injured for over a month, so it's pretty obvious why he's not in the lineup. The Heat have been rolling so far and had a single bad game versus the Marlies to even the series. The sky is definitely falling. I like it when fans take a critical eye to the team, but jesus man, pay ****ing attention to what you're supposedly watching.

I think you're the one that needs to pay attention. Irving played last night and gave up 3 bad goals in a 4-1 loss. The reason he hasn't been playing is because he's the friggin backup now in Abbotsford.

Pay attention man.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:15 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
If he truly has the talent, size won't be an issue.
My example: theoren fleury
Not saying he is comparable to how fleury played but don't count him out because of size.

tyflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:26 AM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
its not just skill and size, but if hes determined he will be a top 6 player, a guy could be 6'1" 200 pounds and blazing fast but if they dont have heart they dont get very far...

Old
05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
OrrwastheBeatles

The top 3 offensive prospects (as per the OP title):

Baertschi
Gaudreau
Granlund

the top 3 prospects with respect to likelihood of becoming solid NHLers:

Baertschi
Irving
Reinhart

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
I think you're the one that needs to pay attention. Irving played last night and gave up 3 bad goals in a 4-1 loss. The reason he hasn't been playing is because he's the friggin backup now in Abbotsford.

Pay attention man.
Actually he hasn't been playing because of the birth of his child, when he took a couple days off and was ready to come back Taylor had been playing great, Ward tends to ride the hot goaltender, nothing wrong with that.

Reading a couple of your posts the past few days I'm not sure if you're just trolling hard or lacking something upstairs.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:05 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
i dont think they ( X coach) will put nemisz on there wing all year but i can see

Bartschi - Backlund - Iginla for sure
Backlund on the first line... bllleeeehhh. The way he played last year he was lucky to get 11 points. I'm pulling for the guy, but still I think he's proven by now that he has almost no 1st line potential whatsoever.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:03 PM
LetsGoFlames
McDavid-2015

Quote:
Just to throw a curveball at everyone, I think our top offensive prospect is not Baertschi but is Mr. Gaudreau. The kid has exceptional tools to work with. He has vision like no other player I have seen since a certain player who sall not be named for the Oilers. His hockey sense or IQ is off the charts and he anticipates the play at levels beyond his age or competition. His shot is sneaky and incredibly accurate. It will not overpower a goaltender at this point, but it finds the holes consistently. He can do eveything at speed and is only limited by his confidence and size. There is the rub and why he is not respected as a serious bluechip prospect. Gaudreau's size is a concern, but every other aspect of his game is top notch, and I would say superior to Baertschi's. Don't discount this kid. If he is handled right he is a star in the making and could be that high skilled player the team desperately needs. The big question is how long before he arrives if he ever arrives at all?
Interesting points. Martin St.Louis is too small for the NHL too, right?

LetsGoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:18 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsGoFlames View Post
Interesting points. Martin St.Louis is too small for the NHL too, right?
Where did I say that? My concern is his arrival in the NHL is dependent on many factors. Will the Flames have a slot for him to fill in the lineup, considering his size? St. Louis is a great example of the team not wanting to have too many small players in the lineup. The same trap could befall Gaudreau if the Flames already have a number of small players in the lineup. I see Gaudreau as being a player, but it may not be for the Flames. Size is important in the NHL and the Flames may use a player with the upside of Gaudreau to fill holes elsewhere. Hopefully Wiesbroad's influence will prevent that from happening and we'll make room for this youngster in the near future.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote