HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Cory Schneider / Roberto Luongo to Tampa Bay

Old
05-06-2012, 09:16 PM
HoseEmDown

vCash: 500
How is saying someone might retire in a few years any incentive to make a trade? It's like buying a Kia, they have a 10 year warranty but after 6 they fall apart and stop working. They have no trade in value or use so your stuck with a broke down car in your garage. Better off getting the fancier model that costs more at the start and will last longer and hold its value.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Not true.
Looking for a link to a YouTube clip but can't find it at the moment. Definitely recall it being voiced. Why would I lie?

VanTampaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:31 PM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
How is saying someone might retire in a few years any incentive to make a trade? It's like buying a Kia, they have a 10 year warranty but after 6 they fall apart and stop working. They have no trade in value or use so your stuck with a broke down car in your garage. Better off getting the fancier model that costs more at the start and will last longer and hold its value.
Terrible analogy, because you will note Kia is still in business (and growing fast along with Hyundai) as people will acquire something for cheap that will "last" a shorter period of time. You have to look at equivalent annual costs.

If Luongo can be had for cheap like the Det 1st, why not take that stability now and develop a goalie or two over that period of time?

Developing your own prospects is by far the cheapest method of acquiring star players and trade assets.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTampaFan View Post
Terrible analogy, because you will note Kia is still in business (and growing fast along with Hyundai) as people will acquire something for cheap that will "last" a shorter period of time. You have to look at equivalent annual costs.

If Luongo can be had for cheap like the Det 1st, why not take that stability now and develop a goalie or two over that period of time?

Developing your own prospects is by far the cheapest method of acquiring star players and trade assets.
Yzerman can get a better goalie who is not a playoff choker with the Detroit 1st. The most I would realistically offer is a 2nd, 3rd, and a decent prospect.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Yzerman can get a better goalie who is not a playoff choker with the Detroit 1st. The most I would realistically offer is a 2nd, 3rd, and a decent prospect.

This is probably worth more than the 20th overall pick from DET...

40th Overall, 70th Overall, and a decent prospect.. so like a guy along the lines of Barberio/Namestnikov?

And ok, if you think that the Det 1st can get a better goalie than Luongo, please, give me an example of this hero to be had for so little?

Old
05-06-2012, 10:20 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

He just doesn't fit, doesn't make sense. You're not getting Namestnikov or Barberio for him either.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
He just doesn't fit, doesn't make sense. You're not getting Namestnikov or Barberio for him either.
I agree... I said as much in my counter to the previous poster. Way too much of a return.

And easy on the "you're" part, I am a tampa fan too yo

Old
05-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:

This is probably worth more than the 20th overall pick from DET...

40th Overall, 70th Overall, and a decent prospect.. so like a guy along the lines of Barberio/Namestnikov?

And ok, if you think that the Det 1st can get a better goalie than Luongo, please, give me an example of this hero to be had for so little?
Considering the draft (Which I failed to do in my previous post), you can possibly get the same talent at 20 as you can at 40. So there's that.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:38 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I still think they take some calls about moving Schneider. Makes too much sense. Lu is serviceable, Schneider will command more than 5 within the next 3 years, and Lack is close. Could get a killing for him.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:43 PM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
I still think they take some calls about moving Schneider. Makes too much sense. Lu is serviceable, Schneider will command more than 5 within the next 3 years, and Lack is close. Could get a killing for him.
But will SFY want to part with what is needed to get it done? He's been saying for ages our biggest hole is organizational depth. I know that a lot of canucks fans would love to see connolly coming back as the centre piece for a deal around schneider, but I personally really don't want to see SFY make that deal, even if the value is close.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:49 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
But will SFY want to part with what is needed to get it done? He's been saying for ages our biggest hole is organizational depth. I know that a lot of canucks fans would love to see connolly coming back as the centre piece for a deal around schneider, but I personally really don't want to see SFY make that deal, even if the value is close.
I was speaking in more generalities, but thats an interesting question. I don't think hes quite desperate enough to do it, on the other hand I really don't think SY is high on Connolly and would be willing to move him and a first for Schneider. There were some bumps earlier in the year about his attitude and chatter about sending him back to Jrs. in PG, and I get the impression he'd like to be back up there. Plus that clears more space for Brown, Conacher, Killorn.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:00 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
I would have zero qualms sending Connolly plus Det 1st or Connolly plus a couple of 2nds to Vancouver for Schneider.

Not a single one.

Then again Im not a huge fan of Connolly.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:04 AM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I would have zero qualms sending Connolly plus Det 1st or Connolly plus a couple of 2nds to Vancouver for Schneider.

Not a single one.

Then again Im not a huge fan of Connolly.
Considering the way that this drafts talent is supposedly spread it will need to be the 10th pick + Connolly otherwise a team like Toronto, etc Will likely outbid

Old
05-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Considering the way that this drafts talent is supposedly spread it will need to be the 10th pick + Connolly otherwise a team like Toronto, etc Will likely outbid
I don't buy this, if you have good scouts and a good developement you'll get a good player with a 10th or 20th pick

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:19 AM
HoseEmDown

I'm sure SY is pretty high on Connolly, it's the very first player he ever drafted and he ignored his injury past to take him. I would not trade the 20 for Luongo, if we are trading it we are gonna get a younger goalie or top 4 D in a package. I'm starting to lean more in trying to get a top pair D for Hedman and going with a Garon/UFA tandem. Mike Smith has become a stud in front of a better D, I think we need to fix that first and get a rental goalie at the deadline if the tandem isn't working.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I'm sure SY is pretty high on Connolly, it's the very first player he ever drafted and he ignored his injury past to take him. I would not trade the 20 for Luongo, if we are trading it we are gonna get a younger goalie or top 4 D in a package. I'm starting to lean more in trying to get a top pair D for Hedman and going with a Garon/UFA tandem. Mike Smith has become a stud in front of a better D, I think we need to fix that first and get a rental goalie at the deadline if the tandem isn't working.
I agree with much of your post, but there's a recurring thing across the board where if the tandem's not working, to trade for a goalie at the deadline. I think that's the wrong time. We got Roloson Jan 1st, I'd expect a similar scenario to happen again, as teams evaluate what they're going to do at Christmas.

This is before the media hype and the fans start expecting 'x' for 'y'. It's also before every goalie seems to get injured, and subsequently ends the trade discussions with that team.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 05-07-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Shane Churla
Rookie User

What would it take to acquire Connolly & Hedman?

Luongo, Ballard/Tanev & Hansen + ??? (Schroeder/1st/Burrows/Booth <----- Pick one)

Hedman would fit well with Edler or Salo and Connolly is the piece that would solidify our second line Kesler.

Hearing Doug Mclean analyst for Sportsnet it looks like Luongo's value is going to be fairly high (1st & High level roster prospect on roster)

Shane Churla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:29 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Churla View Post

Luongo, Ballard/Tanev & Hansen + ??? (Schroeder/1st/Burrows/Booth <----- Pick one)

Hedman would fit well with Edler or Salo and Connolly is the piece that would solidify our second line Kesler.

Hearing Doug Mclean analyst for Sportsnet it looks like Luongo's value is going to be fairly high (1st & High level roster prospect on roster)
Doug McLean is obviously an idiot. If we are sending Hedman and Connolly we will be getting Schneider, Tanev and Schroeder/Hansen back.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:

Pretty sure we've already stated ad nauseum that Hedman isn't being traded. Not without a massive overpayment.

And I would really hesitate before I used anything that McLean says as a starting point for a trade. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:

Edler and Schneider.

In other words, Hedman is not being traded

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Haha Doug MacLean. The guy who has to remind you he drafted Rick Nash every time he's on tv as if picking Nash 1st overall was a hard decision. He probably would have been a better co-owner than Barrie but that's it.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 06:34 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:

Just stop.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Cigar City

Quote:

You're right.

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:45 PM
TBLHoser

Mclean is as good a GM as Milbury is a.....whatever he does....

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:53 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Mclean is as good a GM as Milbury is a.....whatever he does....
Mclean must be pretty good, because Milbury is awesome of making an assclown of himself.

The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote