HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose "Defense" Thread

Old
05-06-2012, 06:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I don't look at the stats, because I know they're ******. It's a waste of time. Again, if I decided to become a sports fan today, and started with baseball...is Albert Pujols one of the worst players in baseball? He's got bad stats...he must be. Right? I work in retail, my sales statistics are down. Does that mean I'm a bad salesman? My corporation seems to think so. But since I'm the one on the front lines selling...I know there are reasons to why sales numbers are down. Same goes for Bryz, there's a reason his stats suck. Is he perfect? No.

To answer your question, yes I would think he's played well w/o stats in this series...the playoffs as a whole, not as much. He had a couple bad games against PIT. There are so many people in these threads throwing stats out here and not looking at the reasons why. Bryz has made some mistakes, some costly. The defense has made MANY mistakes, some costly...aka Bryz HAS bailed them out quite a few times (contrary to peoples beliefs that he just lets the team down constantly).

The defense needs to step it up tonight. Carle already looks half asleep in this interview with Pierre.
not going to disagree the defense needs to be better. For various reasons the team D has really struggled for most of the playoffs. has Bryzgalov bailed them out at times? sure, but he also has let in far too many soft goals.
The Flyers got away with it with Pittsburgh because MAF was ghastly. Broduer really hasnt been much better. In all honesty I dont see anything changing going forward in this series. for the Flyers to win they are probably going to hope that Marty lets in a few more softies then Bryzgalov.
Nothing has changed in the 9 games so far in the playoffs to convince me otherwise.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
the team D is a disgrace. should be 7-0. Bryz, AGAIN, is the only Flyer who showed up.

they deserve to lose. NJ wants it more.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Team defense is pathetic.

Signing a bunch of defensman isn't going to fix this when this team is systematically flawed defensively.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:07 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
not going to disagree the defense needs to be better. For various reasons the team D has really struggled for most of the playoffs. has Bryzgalov bailed them out at times? sure, but he also has let in far too many soft goals.
The Flyers got away with it with Pittsburgh because MAF was ghastly. Broduer really hasnt been much better. In all honesty I dont see anything changing going forward in this series. for the Flyers to win they are probably going to hope that Marty lets in a few more softies then Bryzgalov.
Nothing has changed in the 9 games so far in the playoffs to convince me otherwise.
I agree with this. I wouldn't call myself a Bryz defender, just looking for justice. Bryz has plenty to be faulted for, but IMO the team defense has even more.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:13 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Devils Goals Against:

-Hartnell slight tip in.
-Giroux semi-breakaway.

...both appeared stoppable but not soft, neither could really be attributed to defense.

Flyers goals against:
-Sykora sneaks backdoor, Carle not tight enough coverage.
-Zidlicky sneaks backdoor, JvR not NEARLY tight enough coverage.
-Zubrus wide open in the slot, defense commits to forecheckers below the goal-line, get no support from forwards on Zubrus.

If Bryz stopped either of the first two (or both), they would have been legendary saves. The 3rd goal was stoppable, but wide open shooter in the slot...certainly not soft. Defense was certainly the issue tonight. Again.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
defense, how dare us call this a defensive thread when there clearly is none.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:58 PM
toughfighter83*

plus why isnt the defense shooting more? doesnt matter who, they are just relying too much on the forwards, defense has to show up in goals too.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:01 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
plus why isnt the defense shooting more? doesnt matter who, they are just relying too much on the forwards, defense has to show up in goals too.
Because most of the time when they shoot it gets blocked so now some of them are scared to shoot on net. If anything they put it into the corner because the front of the net is clogged up.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:03 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Trying to get back on topic, I'm surprised Lilja hasn't been taken out of the lineup.

He has obviously regressed.

Stick Kubina back in and tell him to shoot when given the puck.
I think Lilja is horrible and the Flyers never signed him, but we are short on options right now. Pronger, Meszaros, Kubina, and Bourdon are all injured. We're already pretty low on the depth chart. Lilja did one thing right to night when he dumps the puck in he puts it high so Brodeur can't play it so it's not all bad...just mostly bad.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:14 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Because most of the time when they shoot it gets blocked so now some of them are scared to shoot on net. If anything they put it into the corner because the front of the net is clogged up.
true but it's matter of trying because something has to get this team to win games and produce offense i mean sure shots wont get through sometimes but you have to keep trying, at least to keep pressure off of bryz.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:21 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
true but it's matter of trying because something has to get this team to win games and produce offense i mean sure shots wont get through sometimes but you have to keep trying, at least to keep pressure off of bryz.
I agree they should but early last game or maybe game 2 Coburn had a shot on net blocked to center ice and created a breakaway (which thankfully they didn't score on) and I don't think I've seen him take a shot toward the net since. I think Kimmo and Carle are the only ones take shots toward the net since, and some of those weren't really from the point just when they pinched in deep.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:46 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Devils Goals Against:

-Hartnell slight tip in.
-Giroux semi-breakaway.

...both appeared stoppable but not soft, neither could really be attributed to defense.

Flyers goals against:
-Zubrus wide open in the slot, defense commits to forecheckers below the goal-line, get no support from forwards on Zubrus.

If Bryz stopped either of the first two (or both), they would have been legendary saves. The 3rd goal was stoppable, but wide open shooter in the slot...certainly not soft. Defense was certainly the issue tonight. Again.
all 3 NJ goals were from downright awfull defensive breakdowns. The type of stuff you are taught at age on defense and poistioning. Carle was playing like a lazy **** on the Sykora goal, JVR was in dreamland and just let Zidlicky get position on him.
The last goal I dont know who to blame because that was a failure by everyone on the ice.
Bryzgalov played maybe the best game as a Flyer and the team let him down tonight. Yeah some of that is on NJs great play, but those 3 defensive breakdowns were easily avoidable and we could have been talking about of the great goaltending performances in a Flyer win in a long time. Instead we are 1 game away from the offseason. Unreal.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I think Lilja is horrible and the Flyers never signed him, but we are short on options right now. Pronger, Meszaros, Kubina, and Bourdon are all injured. We're already pretty low on the depth chart. Lilja did one thing right to night when he dumps the puck in he puts it high so Brodeur can't play it so it's not all bad...just mostly bad.
Lilja is a steady yet unspectacular SEVENTH defensemen being asked to play extended minutes in a playoff series. He's exactly what we paid for (and frankly a fine option for 700k), but he's being asked to cover from the significant loss of 2 top 4 defenders.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
all 3 NJ goals were from downright awfull defensive breakdowns. The type of stuff you are taught at age on defense and poistioning. Carle was playing like a lazy **** on the Sykora goal, JVR was in dreamland and just let Zidlicky get position on him.
The last goal I dont know who to blame because that was a failure by everyone on the ice.
Bryzgalov played maybe the best game as a Flyer and the team let him down tonight. Yeah some of that is on NJs great play, but those 3 defensive breakdowns were easily avoidable and we could have been talking about of the great goaltending performances in a Flyer win in a long time. Instead we are 1 game away from the offseason. Unreal.
sums up it up, completely. Bryz is giving us the goaltending to win & the team is blowing it.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
sums up it up, completely. Bryz is giving us the goaltending to win & the team is blowing it.
Figures, right?

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:36 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Devils Goals Against:

-Hartnell slight tip in.
-Giroux semi-breakaway.

Flyers goals against:

Has to be said, Bryz tried to stop them and actually deflected the puck on goals #1 and 3

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:39 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I dont think it's them not taking shots. I remember a sequence last night where we were in their zone (which was a rarity) and had 5-6 shots. The problem was, 4-5 of them hit the other team. Every time we are ready to shoot from the point, the Devils pack it in with all their players.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:53 AM
toughfighter83*

it worked on the pp, another thing when i see the wingers go the offensive zone they are pucks deep instead passing back to their defenders because the ice opens up for the defenders to shoot, every they put pucks deep nj is on the puck they have to go north/south on their passing instead of cross ice passing the devils are feeding off of that just like what the rangers did to us, too many cross ice passes/ causes turnovers.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Flyers have nobody back there who can generate a shot on net from the point. Our two biggest guns Mesz and Prongs are injured and Kubina who has the ever elusive right hand shot from the point has also been injured. We rented a wreck in the latter instance unfortunately. I think the Flyers should not make deals with Tampa for anybody over 30 b/c clearly they are unloading their medical basket cases on Holmgren (Walker and Kubina).

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
he was ****ing amazing last night. The best game for him in a Flyer jersey. Sad it came in a loss.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Lilja is a steady yet unspectacular SEVENTH defensemen being asked to play extended minutes in a playoff series. He's exactly what we paid for (and frankly a fine option for 700k), but he's being asked to cover from the significant loss of 2 top 4 defenders.
Thank you. Lilja has played very well. In fact, besides Bryzgalov, he's one of the only guys to show up vs. the Devils.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Ryker

What?! Lilja played well in game 1, but was pretty bad in the rest of the games. He is so damn slow, it's ridiculous.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

It's sad when a marginal player like Lilja..seemingly stands out above the fray.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Joey Mac

it's tough to watch brodeur make better outlet passes than 2/3 of the flyers d

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Metalcommand

If only Pronger were playing. He would have none of this kind of defensive play.

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote