HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky practicing with full contact jersey

Old
05-06-2012, 06:02 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Dubi would help stabilize our 3rd line and could have played in the top 6 when Kreider was benched yesterday. This team does not have great depth, losing him was not ideal at all.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Boyle's been our best faceoff guy and was a major player in the Ottawa series. Dubinsky hasn't done anything all playoffs, or even down the stretch for that matter.

I also haven't noticed that Dubinsky is even missing. I especially didn't notice in the 3OT win.
Well I guess you weren't watching Game 4 with Boyle's repeated unforced turnovers in the neutral zone or his terrible decisions.

I thought a big reason why we went to 3OT in game 3 was because of Boyle's butt getting in the way or his terrible decisions with the puck. He won some key face offs in that game, that was about it.

As far as Dubi playing center: He looks far more comfortable as a pivot than as wing(especially defensively). He has no wing like instincts, has poor net presence, can't set up screens. Pretty much his physicality on the boards is the only thing he offers as wing.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:48 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
As far as Dubi playing center: He looks far more comfortable as a pivot than as wing(especially defensively). He has no wing like instincts, has poor net presence, can't set up screens. Pretty much his physicality on the boards is the only thing he offers as wing.
Really couldn't disagree more. He's a nightmare at center, especially offensively. He fancies himself a playmaker, but he's incredibly indecisive. He has some kind of whacky sense of offensive creativity, but he's not a strong enough technical passer to pull off the crap he tries. His vision with the puck isn't practical. He needs to be saddled with as little responsibility as possible, because the more decisions he has to make, the more he screws up. He has shown plenty of times the ability to do what is necessary to play wing. His problem is that all of his instincts are messed up. He still hasn't figured out what his role is, and that's why he's a poor decision maker.

Defensively, it makes no difference what position he plays. Offensively, the only way he'll ever play center in this league consistently is either with a great playmaker on his wing or on a line with limited offensive expectations.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Really couldn't disagree more. He's a nightmare at center, especially offensively. He fancies himself a playmaker, but he's incredibly indecisive. He has some kind of whacky sense of offensive creativity, but he's not a strong enough technical passer to pull off the crap he tries. His vision with the puck isn't practical. He needs to be saddled with as little responsibility as possible, because the more decisions he has to make, the more he screws up. He has shown plenty of times the ability to do what is necessary to play wing. His problem is that all of his instincts are messed up. He still hasn't figured out what his role is, and that's why he's a poor decision maker.

Defensively, it makes no difference what position he plays. Offensively, the only way he'll ever play center in this league consistently is either with a great playmaker on his wing or on a line with limited offensive expectations.
Dubi's indecisiveness is something that is apparent no matter what position he plays. Agreed he is not a great technical passer but being center allows him more ability to roam in the offensive zone. He can choose when he wants to forecheck or stay in the gaps.

Plus as bad as Dubi might be at passing it is LIGHTYEARS ahead of Boyle's ability to play with the puck. Since we are discussing third line center duties and all.

In the long term though, Dubi is probably not even on this team. I can't say the same about Boyle.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Career year at LW last year. Hard to believe he's somehow uncomfortable there. Seems like another excuse for Dubinsky's poor play, IMO.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Career year at LW last year. Hard to believe he's somehow uncomfortable there. Seems like another excuse for Dubinsky's poor play, IMO.
It was what 10 pt increase? You could easily make a case it had more to do with him playing more minutes than his position change.

In the same breath I can say that his worst career year was at wing and that he was far more consistent playing center.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
NikC

Dubisnky has been a total failure this season. I thought this coach was going to be able get him to the next level? Seems like he still doesn't know what his game is! He' most effective as a PF that drives to net.
He's turned into defensive forward that plays on the perimeter.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:15 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Dubi's indecisiveness is something that is apparent no matter what position he plays.
Absolutely. So how do you seem feeling more comfortable playing the position with the most responsibility; the position that requires the most decision making? Dubinsky looks anything but comfortable playing center to me. But in general, the only place he looks comfortable is in the defensive zone.

Quote:
Agreed he is not a great technical passer but being center allows him more ability to roam in the offensive zone. He can choose when he wants to forecheck or stay in the gaps.
That would only serve to exacerbate his biggest issue. He's a weak passer, and I don't think anyone on the team has a tougher time deciding whether to shoot or pass in the heat of the moment (nor does anyone else make the wrong decision/take too long as often as Dubi). Why do you want him doing anything but forechecking? That's easily the best thing you could get out of him in the other team's zone.

Quote:
Plus as bad as Dubi might be at passing it is LIGHTYEARS ahead of Boyle's ability to play with the puck. Since we are discussing third line center duties and all.

In the long term though, Dubi is probably not even on this team. I can't say the same about Boyle.
Yeah, I don't see Dubinksy being here much longer. The problem with Boyle is he shouldn't be in any discussion regarding third line center duties. Dubinsky belongs on another team, Boyle belongs on the 4th line. If anyone should be centering the third line, it should be Anisimov.

Quote:
It was what 10 pt increase? You could easily make a case it had more to do with him playing more minutes than his position change.

In the same breath I can say that his worst career year was at wing and that he was far more consistent playing center.
I don't think you could. At no point in his NHL career has he ever been anything close to consistent playing center. The only time he was ever remotely consistent was last season, at LW.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:18 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Whatever happens we need to swap Dubi to the Devils for Parise

05-06-2012, 07:27 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

You guys can hate on him all you want, but having him in our bottom 6 would make this team a hell of a lot better. Dubinsky or John Mitchell?

Give me Dubinsky 8 days a week, and twice on Sundays.

Better skater and puck handler, smarter in his own zone, better penalty killer. It's amazing how quickly everyone turns on one guy. It really is a "what have you done for me lately" mentality here.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:48 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
You guys can hate on him all you want, but having him in our bottom 6 would make this team a hell of a lot better. Dubinsky or John Mitchell?

Give me Dubinsky 8 days a week, and twice on Sundays.

Better skater and puck handler, smarter in his own zone, better penalty killer. It's amazing how quickly everyone turns on one guy. It really is a "what have you done for me lately" mentality here.
I'm pretty sure the only place where that mentality ruled supreme as far as Dubinsky is concerned is wherever they negotiated his contract. He got 4.2 mill precisely because of what he did lately.

This was his 5th NHL seasons. He's managed to produce something that resembles consistent offense in only one of them.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:54 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
Whatever happens we need to swap Dubi to the Devils for Parise
I'm sure the devils are dying for that one

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

He had every opportunity to succeed at both positions this year and he's done nothing at either. He's not scoring. He's not bringing a big physical presence. He's lost his spot on the PK to better PKers.

5 years in and we're blaming his lack of success on his position? Not buying it. He's a headcase. Time to stop making excuses.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:08 PM
NYR2047
WebMD Trained Doctor

any word on Dubi?

NYR2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
He had every opportunity to succeed at both positions this year and he's done nothing at either. He's not scoring. He's not bringing a big physical presence. He's lost his spot on the PK to better PKers.

5 years in and we're blaming his lack of success on his position? Not buying it. He's a headcase. Time to stop making excuses.
Headcase? Dubi? What did I miss?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:43 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:

And everybody was thinking that he would go in a trade to Columbus for Nash?

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:54 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Is it the contract that's really screwed him up?

Last year he just seemed to go balls out, flying up ice and gaining the zone.

This year he barely skates. He's either loafing on his new deal, which I kinda doubt or he's a guy that had a hard time making decisions before the high deal and now he's got a brainfreeze trying to live up to the deal. Trying to go every direction at once leaves him going nowhere.

He really reminds me of Gabby last year, just never gets his damn legs moving anymore.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:22 PM
ck20

It's one down year, albeit an awful and extremely painful-to-watch one as well as being the most inopportune season to regress so heavily, but this won't be his last in the league and I really doubt it's going to be his last as a Ranger. Hope he gets healthy sooner rather than later, we need all the able bodies we can muster.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
I'm sure the devils are dying for that one
Try getting Lamoriello now, there might be a chance he doesnt wait!

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:19 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

I thought a big reason why we went to 3OT in game 3 was because of Boyle's butt getting in the way or his terrible decisions with the puck. He won some key face offs in that game, that was about it.
lol you're right, next time let's tell Boyle to stay the hell away from the crease and let Holtby see the shot

We probably wouldn't be in the 2nd round without Boyle.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
lol you're right, next time let's tell Boyle to stay the hell away from the crease and let Holtby see the shot

We probably wouldn't be in the 2nd round without Boyle.
Cause let me tell ya, Boyle is such a monster in the crease.

I beg to differ about Boyle and the 2nd round, we closed out that series without him. We had our best game against the Capitals when he wasn't in the lineup.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:50 AM
smoneil

Quote:

To be fair, Callahan got MORE minutes this year than Dubi did last year (an average of a full minute more per game and a lot more PP time), and he only matched Dubi's numbers from last season. If you're going to make a minutes argument, it has to be argued consistently.

Dubinsky had a rough year. It happens (to a surprisingly large percentage of players). The people saying they "don't notice he's missing" and he "hasn't done anything this postseason" either aren't watching the games or don't understand what they're seeing. Without Dubinsky, the Rangers don't win game 3 or game 7 against Ottawa. Every time Dubinsky has been out (game 2 in the first round and the injury now), the team seems to get pinned in their own zone an AWFUL lot. That isn't a coincidence.

If there was ever any need for more evidence that some people on this board have an irrational hatred of the kid, this thread is exhibit A. A guy who has been a key player for a few years now gets hurt and some of you yahoos actually seem gleeful about it.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:54 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
To be fair, Callahan got MORE minutes this year than Dubi did last year (an average of a full minute more per game and a lot more PP time), and he only matched Dubi's numbers from last season. If you're going to make a minutes argument, it has to be argued consistently.
So argue it consistently. Callahan didn't even match his own pace from last season, and he scored more PPG last season than Dubinsky. This season, Callahan played PP minutes on a unit that struggled all season long with scoring with the man advantage. He played half the season, if not more, with Richards and either Fedotenko or Dubinsky, both of whom dragged the offensive production of that line down. The other games were spent with any number of lines, but rarely Gaborik (which is when Richards' scoring picked up), meaning he's not going to be picking up a lot of points playing with Anisimov or Boyle. He spent regular season time with Stepan during Stepan's biggest slump of the year. Plus, he usually faced the other team's top players. And he's a top PKer on the team. A lot more minutes on the kill than Dubinsky this season. Callahan led all forwards in total ice time because he does more defensively than all forwards. Team defense is this team's biggest compliment to Henrik, and that starts with the play of the forwards, no one more so than Callahan. When you compare Dubinsky to Callahan, you only hurt the case for Dubinsky. One is incredibly inconsistent and indecisive, and the other is a benchmark for consistency and leads with his decisiveness.

Quote:
Dubinsky had a rough year. It happens (to a surprisingly large percentage of players). The people saying they "don't notice he's missing" and he "hasn't done anything this postseason" either aren't watching the games or don't understand what they're seeing. Without Dubinsky, the Rangers don't win game 3 or game 7 against Ottawa. Every time Dubinsky has been out (game 2 in the first round and the injury now), the team seems to get pinned in their own zone an AWFUL lot. That isn't a coincidence.
Dubinsky's had a rough year, but people need to stop calling this a down year. Forget about his point totals; on the ice, in the way he plays, this is a return to form from a lone "up" year, and that's the source of the frustration for many. Few, if any, are questioning his contributions defensively or his zeal. They just don't make up for the perpetual inability to figure out what he's supposed to do in the other team's zone. Not at his cap hit.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:51 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Cause let me tell ya, Boyle is such a monster in the crease.

I beg to differ about Boyle and the 2nd round, we closed out that series without him. We had our best game against the Capitals when he wasn't in the lineup.
All down the stretch and when we struggled in the playoffs, it was "we are playing like a bunch of prettyboy perimeter players that don't ever crash the net" and now you're going to crucify the guy for getting involved in front of the net? No one says he was great in front of the crease, that doesn't mean you don't go there. Stu Bickel has a terrible shot from the point, should he always pass when he gets the puck?

It's such a stupid play to single out. If Boyle isn't there, it's a gimme save for Brandon Holtby on Mike Rupp.

Brian Boyle had the only goal in game 3. He had the game-winner in game 1. Going into Game 4 he had 3 of the Rangers 7 goals. Someone had to step up and he did.

He hasn't been as hot since the concussion, but far be it from me to single out Boyle on a team that's been collectively just clawing and fighting cold streaks and poor play in some way all postseason but has found a way.

If Boyle is still out...we're looking at Steve Eminger or Stu Bickel taking forward shifts.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Dubi not around morning skate today either...Im starting to think hes done for the playoffs if we advance. Somewhat of an ironic end to his season.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote