HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

coaching change?

Old
05-06-2012, 11:08 PM
toughfighter83*

vCash: 500
coaching change?

i know there isnt many coaches out there and lav's contract is up this year, i think beating pittsburgh was fools gold and the way the flyers are playing right against the trap it's impossible to win a cup unless he changes which i doubt.

do you agree a coaching change should be made? or do you think he will change it in the summer? i think the flyers can find someone with a similar system to the kings, it's probably a coach that we never heard of. it's hard to change coaches but i think it's got to be a wake up to this team or else, we'll probably be stuck in this pattern especially not beating the rangers is really going to get ed snider furious, something has to change.

hopefully snider has something in the works if he goes.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:10 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Nope. There are no coaches out there ATM that I would rather have. Give him 2 or 3 years. In his three seasons he's gotten us to the finals once, the second round, and at least the second round. A lot of coaches have their jobs for doing a lot less (e.g. Lindy Ruff).

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:11 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I think we'd look very foolish making a coaching change after exceeding the expectations of the hockey world this season. Unfortunately Mr. Snider's expectations are the only one's which matter, so who knows?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:14 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
We weren't even expected to make the playoffs this year let alone win a round against the SC favorites. Our team is young and full of potential let the coach work with them a couple of years.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:16 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I'd like to see one more season with Lavy. Ya, even I agree I dont think he knows how to counter the Devils (even though during the season he did). I had this team being the 7th or 8th seed and out in the first round. We have a bunch of rookies playing. Gotta give it more time.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:20 PM
toughfighter83*

ok sure i'll buy that, the only that bothers me is it the players or the coaches because i dont know what lav's strategy is, i mean does he want dump and chase or they doing it? i think it's leadership too, this team doesnt have a leader.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:22 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Considering how many new faces there are, a coach change would probably be way worse than good. So Lavy stays.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Mgkibbles

No. God no. The Flyers are missing their best player and Meszaros. Pretty amazing what this team has done, and now the Devils are taking advantage of Philly's inexperience. Still think the team needs a few roster changes during the offseason, everyone agrees a top pairing defenseman is needed, but no coaching change; that'd be silly.

Last edited by Mgkibbles: 05-06-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:26 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
ok sure i'll buy that, the only that bothers me is it the players or the coaches because i dont know what lav's strategy is, i mean does he want dump and chase or they doing it? i think it's leadership too, this team doesnt have a leader.
The team does have a leader the problem is he's been injured most of the season. Kimmo is a quiet leader and Giroux is still growing into the role.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I'd like to see one more season with Lavy. Ya, even I agree I dont think he knows how to counter the Devils (even though during the season he did). I had this team being the 7th or 8th seed and out in the first round. We have a bunch of rookies playing. Gotta give it more time.
I don't think Lavi is worried about countering the Devils. His system, win or lose, relies on his player's forcing the other team into playing on their heels and spending a lot of time in their own zone. It worked well throughout the Pens series, and during the last 50 minutes of Game 1 vs the Devils, but hasn't worked out well since because the Flyers players aren't winning footraces, board battles, and every other little thing they were doing during the season.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Ryker

I don't know whether a coaching change is needed or not, but those of you saying there's no coaches available are wrong, in my opinion. I'm sure there's plenty of coaches out there, you just have to look outside the confines of the NHL. There's great coaches in the AHL, CHL, dog forbid even in Europe! You just need the cojones to actually look for coaches that are good and give them the opportunity, and not just cling to what tradition would dictate in regards to the hiring.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:47 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I don't know whether a coaching change is needed or not, but those of you saying there's no coaches available are wrong, in my opinion. I'm sure there's plenty of coaches out there, you just have to look outside the confines of the NHL. There's great coaches in the AHL, CHL, dog forbid even in Europe! You just need the cojones to actually look for coaches that are good and give them the opportunity, and not just cling to what tradition would dictate in regards to the hiring.
There are coaches doesn't mean I want them. The only coaches in the other league I would have hired got snapped up during the season. Not interested in any of the others right now.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
103 points, no Pronger, 11 rookies this season, all the man games lost due to injury. They made it to the 2nd round and they are getting beat by a team that has been better in every area of the ice.
yup firing the coach is clearly the answer

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:55 PM
SolidSnakeUS

103 points with a ton of new faces and we made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Honestly, a job well done.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
no, just no. they need better defenders.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:04 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Not just better, but healthy.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Top Cheese Danish

I think Lavi is one of the most beloved coaches the Flyers have had in a while. He's such a fan favorite, I doubt he's going anywhere, even if another coach's system would probably win this team a Cup much faster.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Carle and Kubina have been putrid this playoffs. Grossman doesnt look right since coming back. Timonen has given everything he can to this team this season has completely worn down. Gus has looked like what he is. a rookie. Coburn has been by far the Flyers best defenseman this post season. he has been great.
I dont know what we are going to do this offseason to be honest but changes need to be made. gotta get some help for Timonen. God love him, hes been an anchor to this team since he got here but he needs help. Can we rely on him to play 25 minutes or more a night? the guy is going to be 38 next season.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Carle and Kubina have been putrid this playoffs. Grossman doesnt look right since coming back. Timonen has given everything he can to this team this season has completely worn down. Gus has looked like what he is. a rookie. Coburn has been by far the Flyers best defenseman this post season. he has been great.
I dont know what we are going to do this offseason to be honest but changes need to be made. gotta get some help for Timonen. God love him, hes been an anchor to this team since he got here but he needs help. Can we rely on him to play 25 minutes or more a night? the guy is going to be 38 next season.
I cant wait for Carle to be gone. I like the trio of Mez, Coburn, and Grossman. I also dont mind MAB. As far as Kimmo goes, maybe he retires? If not I would give him a more limited role. Not sure what moves they make, as I assume Suter wont be coming here.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
I cant wait for Carle to be gone. I like the trio of Mez, Coburn, and Grossman. I also dont mind MAB. As far as Kimmo goes, maybe he retires? If not I would give him a more limited role. Not sure what moves they make, as I assume Suter wont be coming here.
Unless the Flyers trade for his rights he is likely to hit the market and will have many teams lining up for his services. I havent talked to many Nashville fans on what the story is with Suter and Weber on what they are commanding.
If I had to guess I would suspect Suter would want to hit the open market. Weber is likely to stay in Nashville IMO.
Suter is going to get 6 million per plus on the open market.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:33 AM
SolidSnakeUS

5.75M to 6.3M for about 8 years per (till he's 35) for Suter?

Old
05-07-2012, 01:29 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
5.75M to 6.3M for about 8 years per (till he's 35) for Suter?
I'm not sure Suter is ready to be a coach yet.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:31 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Kimmo is still better than most defeseman in the league he just needs to play less minuets. We aren't getting Suter (or Weber for that matter) so if we're going to talk about the future at least be realistic.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:34 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I'm not sure Suter is ready to be a coach yet.

The player/coach role is a dying art in sports. Let's switch it up.

05-07-2012, 01:38 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

The player/coach role is a dying art in sports. Let's switch it up.

I think Bobby Clarke might have been the last one to do it...