HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barry Trotz needs to be fired

Old
05-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Neal Before Zod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I am tired of being a great regular season team and bombing out in the playoffs. The only respect you get is for winning the Cup. Bottom line. I just don't believe Trotz is the guy who can take us to the promised land.
Who is the guy that can take us to the promised land? Scotty Bowman?

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:29 AM
NoNecksCurse

whats more annoying than the negative nancys is the positive pats that tell anyone that "complains" or says we suck how spoiled and ignorant they are.....

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:34 AM
PredsHockey

This might be the worst thread in HFBoards history.

PredsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:39 AM
klt2001

How about we just fire the whole team and coaches and start from scratch. I don't mind being the first in the lineup Just got to learn how to skate first.

klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
whats more annoying than the negative nancys is the positive pats that tell anyone that "complains" or says we suck how spoiled and ignorant they are.....
Truth hurts.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:13 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsHockey View Post
This might be the worst thread in HFBoards history.
Having been around these parts since 2002 I can tell you this thread is bad but farrrrrr from the worst in the lore of bad HF posts.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:31 AM
PredsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Having been around these parts since 2002 I can tell you this thread is bad but farrrrrr from the worst in the lore of bad HF posts.
Haha yeah I hear ya. I've been coming to this site since 2006 (didnt create a name until last year and never really commented until this year. Just like to look not respond) and there have been some awful ones. Usually the ones that deal with how many people hate Klien and Legwand are the most laughable, but this one just makes me shake my head

PredsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:19 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
Actually the most annoying part is Trotz supporters being labeled as people happy with mediocrity.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 06:52 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Actually the most annoying part is Trotz supporters being labeled as people happy with mediocrity.
yeah you're right here too lol

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 06:54 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post

Amazing !! i agree !

In my view, Trotz would be a candidate for the best coach in NHL and now i read a thread ... should he be fired ?
Funny.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:05 AM
glenngineer

Bourque, yet an LA team that was an 8 seed this year just knocked off 2 of the 3 best teams in the league. Underdogs win in the playoffs but when the Preds lose against a higher seed it's, oh, well, they were the better team and they should've beat us. That argument is so old to me. Guess what, we're the better team and we're down 3-1. Was Phoenix ever mentioned as a team favored to get to the Finals? No. Were we? There was a lot of talk for us making a deep run. So how are we going to sugar coat this years version of the team if we go out after tonight? Well, we just didn't catch any breaks? AK and Rads blew it for us? The players just didn't put it all together? We got beat by a better team? Well wait, if we use that last line, that isn't the case, we got beat by a team playing better hockey than we are at the moment. So why have the Preds never risen to that challenge of being the lesser team but played better than the higher seeded or better team?

At the end of the day it's about results and the results are what they are. They can be twisted, turned, sugar coated, whatever you'd like to do to them. You can say I'm not patient and it's not fair that Trotz isn't being given a fair chance to represent his skill set as a coach. Bottom line he has a losing record in the playoffs. Bottom line is we have gotten as far as the second round and petered out. Bottom line is it's the same argument year in and year out. Square peg round hole. He had the team to do what we've all been clamoring for since the inception of this franchise and the bar had been set to go deep. If going to the second round is good enough for you, then that's your prerogative, I have no problem with it. At the same time, I have higher expectations for this franchise.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:19 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Yeah, we haven't even touched "The Darkest Day in Habs History." Yeesh.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:59 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Bourque, yet an LA team that was an 8 seed this year just knocked off 2 of the 3 best teams in the league. Underdogs win in the playoffs but when the Preds lose against a higher seed it's, oh, well, they were the better team and they should've beat us. That argument is so old to me. Guess what, we're the better team and we're down 3-1. Was Phoenix ever mentioned as a team favored to get to the Finals? No. Were we? There was a lot of talk for us making a deep run. So how are we going to sugar coat this years version of the team if we go out after tonight? Well, we just didn't catch any breaks? AK and Rads blew it for us? The players just didn't put it all together? We got beat by a better team? Well wait, if we use that last line, that isn't the case, we got beat by a team playing better hockey than we are at the moment. So why have the Preds never risen to that challenge of being the lesser team but played better than the higher seeded or better team?

At the end of the day it's about results and the results are what they are. They can be twisted, turned, sugar coated, whatever you'd like to do to them. You can say I'm not patient and it's not fair that Trotz isn't being given a fair chance to represent his skill set as a coach. Bottom line he has a losing record in the playoffs. Bottom line is we have gotten as far as the second round and petered out. Bottom line is it's the same argument year in and year out. Square peg round hole. He had the team to do what we've all been clamoring for since the inception of this franchise and the bar had been set to go deep. If going to the second round is good enough for you, then that's your prerogative, I have no problem with it. At the same time, I have higher expectations for this franchise.
Those same Kings just went 17 years without winning a playoff series. The Yotes went 25 years. And we're complaining that our team that still spends almost nothing only makes it to the second round two seasons in a row unless we make a comeback starting tonight.

No Cups in 12 seasons when every O6 team has droughts of two decades or longer in their history. Van, LA, STL, Buf without a Cup in over four decades in the league.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:06 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Those same Kings just went 17 years without winning a playoff series. The Yotes went 25 years. And we're complaining that our team that still spends almost nothing only makes it to the second round two seasons in a row unless we make a comeback starting tonight.

No Cups in 12 seasons when every O6 team has droughts of two decades or longer in their history. Van, LA, STL, Buf without a Cup in over four decades in the league.
Yup. And how many of those teams held onto their coach for as long as we have? Buffalo with Ruff and that's about it. And didn't Ruff make it deep or to the finals one year? Didn't the Kings make it to the Finals in '93?

Yeah, it's nice to have a team in the playoffs year in and year out but I'd rather have a team do some damage once in a while rather than flame out and have a bunch of people tell me how great it is when the end result isn't what any of us want.

Can I ask you and anyone else a serious question. What is the goal that you have for this team?

I love the entertainment value that hockey brings to the city of Nashville. As a competitor though I also want to win. I think it's fair to expect both and when one doesn't happen, we all have the right to question it and the direction of the franchise.

And one other thing Bourque, while you listed coaches and their playoff records, a guy like Quenneville for instance had a few different stops in his coaching career so to say he's got a lot of flame outs is right but he was canned after a few of them and went on to new teams. It wasn't until his fourth stop that he won it all. So all that said, Trotz has the most flame outs of all the guys on your list and all with the same team. Just something to think about.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:47 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Yup. And how many of those teams held onto their coach for as long as we have? Buffalo with Ruff and that's about it. And didn't Ruff make it deep or to the finals one year? Didn't the Kings make it to the Finals in '93?

Yeah, it's nice to have a team in the playoffs year in and year out but I'd rather have a team do some damage once in a while rather than flame out and have a bunch of people tell me how great it is when the end result isn't what any of us want.

Can I ask you and anyone else a serious question. What is the goal that you have for this team?

I love the entertainment value that hockey brings to the city of Nashville. As a competitor though I also want to win. I think it's fair to expect both and when one doesn't happen, we all have the right to question it and the direction of the franchise.

And one other thing Bourque, while you listed coaches and their playoff records, a guy like Quenneville for instance had a few different stops in his coaching career so to say he's got a lot of flame outs is right but he was canned after a few of them and went on to new teams. It wasn't until his fourth stop that he won it all. So all that said, Trotz has the most flame outs of all the guys on your list and all with the same team. Just something to think about.
I don't have a goal for this team. Only the person/group with a goal can achieve it and I'm not a participant. I have hopes. I hope they win the Cup ... I want to stand along that parade route one day ... but I'm not going to get my boxers in a bunch because it might take more than the first 13 seasons to get there.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

Glenn, you and I have had our disagreements in the past, but I agree with you on this one. Poile has given trotz a very talented roster, and even though we were 4th in the west, this was really our year to win the division with serious roster changes looming in the not so far future.

To further this problem, it seems like trotz has routinely done more with less but less with more. We know he can coach guys like Ward, Yip, Hornqvist, etc but I don't think he gets the best out of his star players. As we move forward as a franchise into the realm of competitors and out of expansion franchise, Trotz ability to take us to the next level really needs to be questioned at this point.

No coach is perfect, but Trotz constantly rewards the less talented, defensive minded forwards all the while limiting our top prospects the ice time to grow. He refuses to change lines or pairings he deems unbreakable even when they are failing our team (Fisher Erat SK, Klein and Hamhuis etc).

Furthermore, I am expecting a massive roster overhaul this offseason, as I doubt guys like AK and Rads are coming back, Gaustad, Gill, and Suter as well. If we have a new roster, perhaps it would be better to start fresh.

Our goal is to no longer be 2nd fiddle to anyone. We say we are going to be a cap team next year. I don't think Trotz is the right coach for an organization like that. I also question how much of Trotz's success can be attributed to Peterson. I have a feeling more than most people think.

Now I am not saying Trotz needs to be fired tonight if we lose. Not at all. But I should think, going into next year, Trotz has to be on a short leash. If we start the year like we did this year, I would argue he should be fired at that point.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:06 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Glenn, you and I have had our disagreements in the past, but I agree with you on this one. Poile has given trotz a very talented roster, and even though we were 4th in the west, this was really our year to win the division with serious roster changes looming in the not so far future.

To further this problem, it seems like trotz has routinely done more with less but less with more. We know he can coach guys like Ward, Yip, Hornqvist, etc but I don't think he gets the best out of his star players. As we move forward as a franchise into the realm of competitors and out of expansion franchise, Trotz ability to take us to the next level really needs to be questioned at this point.

No coach is perfect, but Trotz constantly rewards the less talented, defensive minded forwards all the while limiting our top prospects the ice time to grow. He refuses to change lines or pairings he deems unbreakable even when they are failing our team (Fisher Erat SK, Klein and Hamhuis etc).

Furthermore, I am expecting a massive roster overhaul this offseason, as I doubt guys like AK and Rads are coming back, Gaustad, Gill, and Suter as well. If we have a new roster, perhaps it would be better to start fresh.

Our goal is to no longer be 2nd fiddle to anyone. We say we are going to be a cap team next year. I don't think Trotz is the right coach for an organization like that. I also question how much of Trotz's success can be attributed to Peterson. I have a feeling more than most people think.

Now I am not saying Trotz needs to be fired tonight if we lose. Not at all. But I should think, going into next year, Trotz has to be on a short leash. If we start the year like we did this year, I would argue he should be fired at that point.
Did you change your screen name? It's not ringing a bell.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Did you change your screen name? It's not ringing a bell.
Yeah, used to be Joetimo

I also had another thought.

Think about the top team right now in the west, the LA Kings. They fired their coach, they gave up top prospects for star players. Think about the flyers, they completely retooled their roster. Or washington changing their bench boss.

I think so many people have adopted the trotzian mindset of change is bad. Its understandable. We have had the same GM and Coach since birth. We don't want to leave these guardians of the franchise behind, but the organization is bigger than Poile and Trotz. Its grown and matured into something that maybe needs someone else to take over as Poile has built a great roster, but needs someone else to implement it properly for optimal success.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:31 AM
sighthndlady

Don't have time to read all the pages, so I apologize if this has already been said. Trotz has been amazing for a long time. I generally agree with his decisions, but I think sitting AK and Rads on Friday was a huge mistake, and he had all of the information that he needed not to make it. By the end of Wednesday's game, Phoenix had 50+ minutes of shut out hockey going against us. Yes, we scored twice (3 times?) in the first period, but then they shut the team down. If that wasn't evidence that we needed the firepower back in the lineup, I don't know what was - except the additional 60 minutes on Friday.

Still hoping for a comeback, but pretty resigned to this year's result. On the other hand, I firmly believe that once you get past the first round, there's a lot of happenstance involved. There's an amazing amount of parity out there, and 7 games really is a short series.

It will be sad to see Suter leave, but he was going anyway.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:41 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Personally, my opinion is this...After being a fan of a team that kept Don Waddell employed for their entire existence, the "fire Trotz" idea is really....really silly. Just my opinion.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:49 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Weren't you and a few others saying Smith is trash as a goalie and yet he's dominated us all series. Hmmmm. Sure he's a hot goalie but isn't the guy in our net supposed to be one of the top 3 in the world?

I maintain Smith is a trash goalie and they aren't winning this series because of him. Almost all of our ES goals are because of his suck. And by suck, I refer tot he mishandled pucks that turn into easy goals from guys like Yip.

Like all goalies, he will make a tough save now and then, but we are not doing ourselves any favors shooting pucks over the crossbar from 3 feet away or hitting him in the crest over and over.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:47 AM
29dryden29

Quote:

Glenn you sure you aren't a closet HABS fan this is exactly how most HABS fans feel. Just making it in is not good enough out in the first second or third round is still a failure the CUP is where the glory lies anything less is failure.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Glenn you sure you aren't a closet HABS fan this is exactly how most HABS fans feel. Just making it in is not good enough out in the first second or third round is still a failure the CUP is where the glory lies anything less is failure.
I have no problem with developing a franchise the right way but until the franchise gets in the mindset of failure is anything but the Cup, then we will go nowhere as a franchise. The owners say the goal is a Cup. The team went all in. Not saying that a Cup should've been the only result but to me, this is unacceptable. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I'll tell you this, if I were one of the owners, I'd expect more. They talk the talk, Poile has talked the talk as well as Trotz. Well, barring an amazing comeback, the didn't back it up. When you say you're going all in and play like we have this series, I don't have high hopes for the franchise with the man behind the bench.

A coach, manager, anyone in that position whether it's sports or in life, is supposed to be a leader. They should have their team ready to play. They should be firing on all cylinders this team of year. Has anyone seen a Preds team in this series play like it's the playoffs? There is a level of play that happens during the season and then there's playoff hockey. We have not been playing playoff hockey. Playoff hockey is about sacrifice. Playoff hockey is taking a hit to make a play. Playoff hockey isyabouta going down and blocking shots. Playoff hockey is finishing off checks. Playoff hockey is about standing up for your teammates when they get run. Playoff hockey if finishing your chances. Playoff hockey is about being ready to go for 60 minutes and into overtime if necessary.

Dryden, you know as well as I do what it takes to win a Cup. I watched the Habs do it growing up. I watched the Islanders do it, then the Oilers and so forth. There is almost a desperation that comes with winning 16 games to win it all. I just don't see it with this bunch. The closest I saw was a play made by Wilson in game 3. Up 2-0 in the third, his line and defense pair had been out for a long shift. The puck came back to the point where it was shot. He went down to block the shot, which he did, then proceeded to get the puck, skate up ice, giving his teammates a chance to change behind the play. He made sure he got the puck across center ice and kept going with it, not taking a chance with a dump in. This is sacrifice. This is knowing the situation. Erat has shown a ton of passion in his game. If everyone showed that level of commitment we would be up in this series but there are too many passengers and not enough players. Coaches are there to motivate and for those that say it's on the players to motivate, then why have a coach if the players can do it all? Coaches are there to organize them and strategize and get the most out of them. While Trotz has done that for years, getting the most out of nothing, he has the players to do it yet we are struggling. I hope he's figured it out or tomorrow is going to suck for a lot of people around here.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:01 PM
VFL615*

Trotz does not deserve even a thought of being fired. Sure he does some things we do not agree with and i am sure if you or i was the coach people would not like every decision we made either. The blame should fall on guys like SK, Legwand, and Fisher for not playing like a top 6 guy should play. Coaching is not the problem not having guys who are legit top 6 guys are the *** problem.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:07 PM
hockey diva

The buck has to stop somewhere. And the only constant through all this has been Trotz.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote