HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Drug use on a hockey team

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
This also goes the other way: Most non-drug-users are uneducated on substances in general, which tends to lead to a lot of unfounded fear and resentment.
I have done my fair share of partying but I am a non drug user now and consider myself pretty educated when it comes to substance abuse. I have seen many of my buddies over the years go from recreational drug users to full blow junkies. I have watched family members struggle with addiction and been dragged to numerous NA birthday cake ceremonies.

I dont want to make a generalization but I think some of this might come down to age. I didnt mind it in my teens and early twenties but once you hit your thirties you dont want to even deal with it anymore.

I play hockey to have fun and maybe drink a few beers after the games. I dont feel like dealing with the mood swings and all of the other crap that goes along with coke heads. This is why I said to tell the guy the team is full and let him be somebody elses problem.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:33 AM
hockeymass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Dude it's not like that at all... I feel like what you just said is always the response when someone says a certain "drug" isn't as evil as D.A.R.E. would have you believe. Doing or not doing drugs doesn't make anyone "cooler"/more lame than anyone else.

The problem with drugs lies in the people that are using them. Most drug users are uneducated on whatever substance they are using, and that leads to a lot of dangerous situations. This also goes the other way: Most non-drug-users are uneducated on substances in general, which tends to lead to a lot of unfounded fear and resentment. If a person is going to decide that they want to use drugs, they better be smart enough to read up on as much information as they can beforehand. Conversely, if a person is going to decide they want to hate on drug-users, then they should read up and learn about what exactly they are hating.

People should read up on things and make up their own minds instead of just listening to what society tells them to.

Sorry that was kind of off topic... I had to rant real quick, haha.
So when you say it's not like that at all, you mean it's exactly like that.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just a friendly reminder that site rules disallow the promotion of using illegal drugs. So if you're into that thing, please keep it to yourself.

My team is full of cops, so I sure hope nobody's that dumb. Most of us have families and what not. I have played on a team where some guys did the booze in the water bottle thing, and most of them were obnoxious.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:56 AM
650X2

Quote:
Dude it's not like that at all... I feel like what you just said is always the response when someone says a certain "drug" isn't as evil as D.A.R.E. would have you believe. Doing or not doing drugs doesn't make anyone "cooler"/more lame than anyone else.

The problem with drugs lies in the people that are using them. Most drug users are uneducated on whatever substance they are using, and that leads to a lot of dangerous situations. This also goes the other way: Most non-drug-users are uneducated on substances in general, which tends to lead to a lot of unfounded fear and resentment. If a person is going to decide that they want to use drugs, they better be smart enough to read up on as much information as they can beforehand. Conversely, if a person is going to decide they want to hate on drug-users, then they should read up and learn about what exactly they are hating.

People should read up on things and make up their own minds instead of just listening to what society tells them to.

Sorry that was kind of off topic... I had to rant real quick, haha.
sounds like an addicts excuse. "It ok because I know what I am doing"

Old
05-07-2012, 08:20 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
Serious question time, folks....

I want opinions on how you would tackle the following topic or whether you would ignore it as "none of your business" or "out of your league".

I am alternate captain on my team and the team manager. I am also a committee member at the club and have done a bit of coaching for the club.

If you heard that the team's assistant coach walked into the mens' room before a game and discovered a player sniffing a line of cocaine, what would you do?

This alleged incident happened months ago and I was never told about it at the time, despite my credentials on the team. Should I rightly have been informed?

Maybe the matter went higher up the chain to be dealt with and left "confidential" or private and out-of-bounds for the rest of the team.

Even now, I have no idea if the story is true, so should I bring the controversy out in the open and quiz the assistant coach for info, or should I just let the matter go?

Is it my place to get involved?

The season ended and the player left the club, but he is now keen to return. I am also concerned that, if true, the incident could give the entire team a dubious reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
Not pick-up, it's a senior non-checking recreational level of play, but we have written anti-doping policies and a player code of conduct that needs to be signed, etc.
It sounds like a standard men's league/beer league, yet you have not just coaches, but assistant coaches too? I feel like I'm missing some details here.

As for the situation itself, and whether or not to let the guy back on the team, I'd say it depends on the person himself. If he's a good guy, not someone who tends to cause trouble, a good hockey player, and a reliable team member who shows up to games, then I'd say sure. If he's an obnoxious dbag (and my guess is that he is, not because he does coke in general, but snorting lines in the lockerroom before the game is a bit of an arrogant "**** you" type of move), or generally unreliable, then he's not someone I'd want on my team.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

The last time I saw someone snorting a line of coke was on "The Departed".

Old
05-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Bexlyspeed

I'm not promoting drug use, on the contrary i would never do that and i would not associate with people who do that, not to say i wouldnt play on the team,
but i'd definetly not socialize outside of the rink and i would voice my opinion of not having someone do it in front of me at the rink.
its just not my scene. but how do you stop an adult from doing drugs? i'm guessing he isnt a total mess other wise there would have been more incidents like perhaps peoples things gone missing from the locker room, etc.

maybe mention to the team that drug use, of any kind, at the rink will not be tolerated and leave it at that and if he doent get that message single him out in private.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you're on the committee, talk to the other guys about it.

You might want to have a drug-free policy, just a quick sheet you can sign that basically says if you take drugs, you're off the team. Does the job for you.

Personally I wouldn't want that kind of person around me. If it's a friend, talk to them, see what's going on, do they need help? If it's just a random guy, I'd cut him loose.

It is your place to get involved because you're on the committee for the team. Each player represents the team, and you need to decide if that kind of activity is part of your identity.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:50 AM
donkers*

Really? Sign a drug free agreement to play beer league?

Old
05-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you have a team committee and head + assistant coaches, you're already a lot more involved than your average drop in.

All it does is make it a lot easier to cut players who aren't following team code of conduct.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:55 AM
wahsnairb

beer league must be a lot different outside of Columbus.. coaches and committees and what not for adult league? If a guy is stupid enough to do drugs before a game, that is on him.. I agree though that it is no more dangerous to the other players than alcohol. More dangerous to himself, sure.. but that is again on him.

It is illegal so let the guy know to keep it out of the rink and do it on his own time, but wanting to keep a guy from playing is a little ridiculous to me.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:47 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I would let it go. If you weren't informed at the time, despite your credentials, than obviously whoever was informed felt that it was not an issue that you, or anyone who is in the lockerroom as a player, needed to be concerned with. The player may have been spoken to confidentially, and you don't even know if the incident truly took place.

Moreover, it's beer league. It doesn't effect you that much. I could see you wanted to call the player out or call attention to it if you guys were a group of individuals who were all making sacrifices and practicing daily towards something like a national tournament; it would be unfair for him to not respect all your hard work and not make sacrifices himself. But it's not the case; his bad personal decisions are his own. And again, it was probably addressed privately (and he was probably told 'your bad choices are your own; please don't make them in our lockerroom again').

Old
05-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Hugh Madbrough

anti-doping policies. you sound like a real joy to play with. let me guess, no slapshots allowed right?

as long as the guy isn't hurting anyone why do you care what he does?

Old
05-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep, I'm such a buzzkill that I don't like to hang out with drug users...

Old
05-07-2012, 02:05 PM
7toZulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
The last time I saw someone snorting a line of coke was on "The Departed".
I makes me almost sad that i wouldn't even know where to go to get coke . Guess there are worse problems to have in life huh!

Old
05-07-2012, 03:03 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
You need to tell them that they can't do it in the rink/around the rink. Tackle it as a purely business thing, that your league could be at risk if drugs are being used in the rinks you're playing at.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:11 PM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcarcagno View Post
I makes me almost sad that i wouldn't even know where to go to get coke . Guess there are worse problems to have in life huh!
Any college frat house.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:48 PM
CunniJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post
anti-doping policies. you sound like a real joy to play with. let me guess, no slapshots allowed right?

Yeah, that's good in my book. I also don't understand the differentiation between drugs and alcohol. Alcohol's a drug last I checked that kills umpteen thousand people every year directly and indirectly. I don't like hanging around drinkers anymore than I like hanging around coke addicts. Drinkers=drug users

Old
05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post

Do you really not see what's wrong with doing coke in a rink bathroom? I mean really, some of the responses in this thread are ****ing astonishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
Yeah, that's good in my book. I also don't understand the differentiation between drugs and alcohol. Alcohol's a drug last I checked that kills umpteen thousand people every year directly and indirectly. I don't like hanging around drinkers anymore than I like hanging around coke addicts. Drinkers=drug users
Except one is punishable by up to 5 years in jail and one isn't? One is impossible to use responsibly and the other is perfectly fine in moderation? Jesus ****ing Christ.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:24 PM
B2k3
#Yzerteam

I was just lurking this thread before because I'm still on the fence where I sit with this one.

I just want to say that this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
One is impossible to use responsibly and the other is perfectly fine in moderation?
is silly.

Anyway, I'm gonna go with the majority on this one and say that WHAT he was doing isn't the issue, but where he was doing it was. Rail a line before you enter the building if you must.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2k3 View Post
I was just lurking this thread before because I'm still on the fence where I sit with this one.

I just want to say that this:

is silly.

Anyway, I'm gonna go with the majority on this one and say that WHAT he was doing isn't the issue, but where he was doing it was. Rail a line before you enter the building if you must.
Yes, using illegal drugs that have originated in a third world country and have been cut with God knows what is definitely responsible.

This thread has become pretty stupid.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:02 PM
goalie29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
You need to tell them that they can't do it in the rink/around the rink. Tackle it as a purely business thing, that your league could be at risk if drugs are being used in the rinks you're playing at.
This is what I would suggest.

I've been the president of an adult association, and the city-owned rink we play at has a policy of no drugs/drinking. They turn a mostly blind eye to people having a beer after a game, but if people are drunk or high on the ice and the association knows about it? We could lose our ice times.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:38 PM
CunniJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass
Except one is punishable by up to 5 years in jail and one isn't? One is impossible to use responsibly and the other is perfectly fine in moderation? Jesus ****ing Christ.
Legality is irrelevant to a drug's harmfulness. See: marijuana

It's completely impossible to do coke recreationally and responsiblity. One snort and you melt.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Lots of closet drug addicts in this thread, I think. How, exactly, does one do cocaine "responsibly"? And not caring if a guy is bringing cocaine into an ice arena that probably has children in and out of it all day and night? Not caring that the guy is allegedly doing lines in the BATHROOM? Very responsible there...

There's a pretty huge difference between cocaine, and having a few beers, or getting high every now and then. If you don't see the difference, well, I look forward to hearing how your rehab turns out, or how unfair it was that you were fired because you couldn't pass a drug test. Ridiculous.

I'd get rid of the guy. A guy that is irresponsible enough to bring cocaine into a public ice arena and snort some lines IN PUBLIC doesn't sound like the type of person I'd like to associate myself with. How cool would it be to let him stay on your team, and then he drops dead of a massive heart attack on the ice?

Old
05-07-2012, 10:58 PM
shawn1331

Honestly coke isn't near as dangerous to others compared to alcohol or a strong hallucinogen. If you've ever talked to someone who's done coke it wouldn't be hard to just pass them off as having a ton of energy and being a little eccentric but in no regard dangerous or really messed up. You can still react and go about your day fairly normally but with a mood boost and the sense of urgency really. I had a friend who used to do coke and he always wanted to get stuff done, h always wanted to move around. Where as alcohol messes with your hand eye and judgement and a hallucinogen well. Enough said about that when they have razors on their feet and a club in there hands.

Closed Thread