HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux suspended for one game

Old
05-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

vCash: 500
Giroux suspended for one game

Quote:
Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper

#SNPlayoffs #Flyers Giroux will have supplementary #NHL discipline hearing today 11am for shoulder/head hit on #Devils Zubrus in gm 4.
Maybe G being out will wake this team up.

MOD EDIT, NHL.com:

Quote:
NEW YORK – Philadelphia Flyers forward Claude Giroux has been suspended for one game for delivering an illegal check to the head of New Jersey Devils forward Dainius Zubrus during the teams' Eastern Conference Semifinal game in New Jersey on Sunday, May 6, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 19:56 of the second period. A minor penalty for illegal check to the head was assessed to Giroux.

For a full explanation of the decision, complete with video, please click on the following link: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=60&id=176718.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-07-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:39 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Its a joke G is having a hearing hit wasnt even that bad Zub was faking it all the way.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Its a joke G is having a hearing hit wasnt even that bad Zub was faking it all the way.
I don't agree with this. Zubrus got a shoulder to the head a full second after getting rid of the puck in the closing seconds of the period. A completely unnecessary, and, yes, dirty hit by Giroux, even though I know he was trying to do something to swing the momentum in his team's favor. I understand G is frustrated and I love when he plays mean, but I don't want to see that cheap **** out of him.

Assuming G gets suspended, I wonder if the team will raise its collective game and put forth an inspired, gritty effort in his absence (ala NJ in Game 2 without Kovalchuk) or submit to the Devils entirely and meekly accept defeat. How 'bout a little push-back, boys?

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:00 AM
DUHockey9

Yeaaa, I don't know what to say to anyone that thinks a hearing is ridiculous. It was a bad hit, he certainly deserves a hearing. He should get a fine for sure, and he may get a game. Deserved really. Whether he did it on purpose or not, he needs to be more careful and be sure he doesn't get the head on that hit (not to mention it was late).

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:01 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

He should have a hearing. Clear hit to the head, puck was gone. He could have finished off that check with a shoulder to shoulder, but he didn't. Why shouldn't that warrant a hearing?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
If he gets a suspension for this the NHL is more of a joke than I thought. He got a penalty, and certainly deserved that, but OV didn't even get a hearing for his hit the other night and Neal gets one game for two hits that are far worse than what Giroux did.

I'm sick of how every time there is a big hit the entire world wants someone to be suspended. This hit wasn't that bad, Zubrus was fine, and he got penalized. Move on.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:10 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

he deserves it

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I don't agree with this. Zubrus got a shoulder to the head a full second after getting rid of the puck in the closing seconds of the period. A completely unnecessary, and, yes, dirty hit by Giroux, even though I know he was trying to do something to swing the momentum in his team's favor. I understand G is frustrated and I love when he plays mean, but I don't want to see that cheap **** out of him.

Assuming G gets suspended, I wonder if the team will raise its collective game and put forth an inspired, gritty effort in his absence (ala NJ in Game 2 without Kovalchuk) or submit to the Devils entirely and meekly accept defeat. How 'bout a little push-back, boys?
I 100% agree with everything in this thread, particularly the first paragraph.

Giroux compromised his defense by pointing to the Volchenkov hit on Simmonds the same shift. He basically admitted that what he did was retaliation, and the league won't take kindly to that.

Honestly, suspend him a game. Teach him a lesson, and make everybody else step up. If they don't step up, they're going out in 5 anyway.

Best case, Flyers win game 5 without Giroux, swing the momentum in the series, and get back to Jersey with a chance to force a game 7.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If he gets a suspension for this the NHL is more of a joke than I thought. He got a penalty, and certainly deserved that, but OV didn't even get a hearing for his hit the other night and Neal gets one game for two hits that are far worse than what Giroux did.

I'm sick of how every time there is a big hit the entire world wants someone to be suspended. This hit wasn't that bad, Zubrus was fine, and he got penalized. Move on.
The thing is, that wasn't a big hit--at all. It was a blatant cheap shot on a vulnerable player that stemmed completely from frustration. That is precisely the sort of play the NHL wants out.

I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't suspended. But I think he should be.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:21 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Doesn't look good for him and he needed to be more responsible. That was a frustration penalty no doubt. It's ironic considering what Neal did to him which did get Neal one game although Neal deserved more for the blatant (intent to injur) shot against Couts the same shift.

This team right now looks like Pitt..flustered and undisciplined. Doesn't bode well. They might squeek out a game in Philly and maybe G being out will serve as motivation but right now their whole demeanor as a team looks pretty shot. I suspect Bryz won't have as strong of game but we'll get some offense. The whole team is off kilter (not on the same page) so that scenario won't surprise me.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:23 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
He should be suspended, but I don't think he will. The NHL has already set the precedent that star players can do and get away with a lot more. If they had taken a stricter approach against the likes of Ovechkin and Neal, then I would be concerned.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:24 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Suspended for a tap now that would be funny

Old
05-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Ryker

I think he should be suspended one game, unfortunately it was a dirty hit to the head made out of frustration.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Suspended for a tap now that would be funny
The only thing that's funny here is how clueless you are. Let's put it in terms you can understand: Had Zubrus made a dangerous -- and, yes, it was dangerous -- hit like that on Giroux, would you be saying it was merely "a tap" and he shouldn't be suspended? Right, didn't think so. It's ok, you can take off the orange and black glasses.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:00 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
The only thing that's funny here is how clueless you are. Let's put it in terms you can understand: Had Zubrus made a dangerous -- and, yes, it was dangerous -- hit like that on Giroux, would you be saying it was merely "a tap" and he shouldn't be suspended? Right, didn't think so. It's ok, you can take off the orange and black glasses.
Sorry it was a tap G was mad but the jersey player sold it went down holding his head rolling around on the ice even Voracek skated around him he knew the jersey player was faking it.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Sorry it was a tap G was mad but the jersey player sold it went down holding his head rolling around on the ice even Voracek skated around him he knew the jersey player was faking it.
You didn't answer my question. Not that I'm surprised.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:04 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

In this fabled no-headshot NHL that doesn't actually exist, it should be a game or two.

In the actual NHL where injuries, player history, and (secretly) star power are weighed...he'll get a fine.

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

LOL

Roo gets a hearing for a clean hit but Malkin goes around throwing chicken wings the whole season and never gets called in for squat.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
dtimmons

Bruins fan here

IMO This is as clear cut as it gets. 1 game suspension. The joke is not that Giroux is getting a hearing, cause her definitely deserves it. The joke is OV isn't getting one. The inconsistency is brutal and frustrating for all fans, regardless of your team, but I don't see how anyone can say Giroux's hit doesn't deserve a suspension.

dtimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtimmons View Post
I don't see how anyone can say Giroux's hit doesn't deserve a suspension.
Yeah but Shanaskam is not just anyone and that is the problem. The dude is a one eyed king. Who knows what is in the dude's head he's so arbitrary with his rulings and yes it is frustrating and quite frankly bush league!

Old
05-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
1. Giroux has no prior suspension history
2. He doesn't leave his feet.
3. Giroux doesn't act out of retaliation to a NJ player but rather frustration with the missed call.
4. Zubrus wasn't hurt and missed 0 shifts in the 3rd.

Based on his past rulings, Shanny should levy a $2500 fine and nothing more.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:24 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
1. Giroux has no prior suspension history
2. He doesn't leave his feet.
3. Giroux doesn't act out of retaliation to a NJ player but rather frustration with the missed call.
4. Zubrus wasn't hurt and missed 0 shifts in the 3rd.

Based on his past rulings, Shanny should levy a $2500 fine and nothing more.
Good luck with that.....I kind of agree with all the points especially the no prior suspension factor which Neal didn't have but this is Shanascam we are talkin' bout..

Old
05-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
he is a star player, I would be shocked if he was suspended.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:25 AM
onebighockeyfan

This was a cheap shot. CG was chirping all night and on this play had no other intention to elbow Zubrus in the head. Stupid play IMHO and he deserves to sit one game. He's not a dirty player, but there was absolutely no need for this. Someone whould do this to him and he would be calling out for a suspension and so would most of us.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:25 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
he is a star player, I would be shocked if he was suspended.
He's a star player on the Flyers..besides Shanascam is a former Devil..not that I'm suggesting any conspiracy theory if G does get a game