HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Giroux suspended for one game

Old
05-07-2012, 10:26 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
You didn't answer my question. Not that I'm surprised.
And to answer your stupid Q if it was G and Zubrus tapped him and G rolled on the ice holding his head then came back and finished the game i would say the same cause it was a tap.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
This was a chip shot. CG was chirping all night and on this play had no other intention to elbow Zubrus in the head. Stupid play IMHO he deserves to sit one game since h'es not a dirty player, bt there was absolutely no need for this. Someone whould do this to him and he would be calling out for a suspension and so would most of us.

Sure he would be NOT..

Old
05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
And to answer your stupid Q if it was G and Zubrus tapped him and G rolled on the ice holding his head then came back and finished the game i would say the same cause it was a tap.
Reminds me of grade school when we created a class newspaper and this girl was designated as Dear Abbey. Some kid submitted a letter saying how his dad would hit him when he was bad and she responded that they were "love taps!"

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:33 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Reminds me of grade school when we created a class newspaper and this girl was designated as Dear Abbey. Some kid submitted a letter saying how his dad would hit him when he was bad and she responded that they were "love taps!"
Thats what the G hit on Zubrus was some on here make it out to be a big crushing hit and Zubrus laying on the ice holding his head is a joke.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:38 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
He'll get suspended and he should. Couldn't have come at a worse time. Argh.

It was a moronic, unnecessary hit brought on by frustration.

05-07-2012, 10:40 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
What is annoying is the lack of consistency.... fans and everybody else shouldn't be wondering if this will or won't be a suspension... it should be pretty clear cut...

1 game would be fair, but then you look at things other players have done that got no suspension and... ugh I just don't know.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

G wont b suspended he'll get a 2500 fine to make it look like shanny is doing his job. And thats all he should get yes he hit the head was it a headshot NO it wasnt ive seen worse hits in this years playoffs and some not even get called to the carpet bye shanny.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Clean hit. Shouldn't even have been a minor.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:47 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post

Old
05-07-2012, 10:49 AM
questhockey

Hard or soft hit in this instance, means nothing.
Zubrus was hit from side/behind directly to side of head. No way Zubrus saw him coming.
I agree with alot that he wasn't hit hard. The point to all this years debates on head shots is...was the head the principle point of contact. Ovy's wasn't, Giroux's was.
Saying it was retaliation for missed penalty or frustration, predatory..who cares.
He hit him directly in the head from slightly behind/side.
Case closed 1-100000 Shannahan games.
I say 1-2. This is exact type of hit (hard or soft) the league must remove. And I am a huge Giroux fan. He should be next Captain, and is almost always a very clean player. he made a mistake, and should pay though.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:53 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
I'm guessing you disagree.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 05-07-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added your edit
hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:10 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If he gets a suspension for this the NHL is more of a joke than I thought. He got a penalty, and certainly deserved that, but OV didn't even get a hearing for his hit the other night and Neal gets one game for two hits that are far worse than what Giroux did.

I'm sick of how every time there is a big hit the entire world wants someone to be suspended. This hit wasn't that bad, Zubrus was fine, and he got penalized. Move on.
Just reverse it for a second, and it's Zubrus hits Giroux to the head, what would be the right call then?

As an unbiased fan, that was a headshot, worthy of 1 game in the playoffs, and it it was during the season, anywhere between 1 and 3 games...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Go For It

Quote:
G wont b suspended he'll get a 2500 fine to make it look like shanny is doing his job. And thats all he should get yes he hit the head was it a headshot NO it wasnt ive seen worse hits in this years playoffs and some not even get called to the carpet bye shanny.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:29 AM
MsWoof

If someone had done this to Giroux we'd all be flipping out. I don't care if he didn't leave his feet, the puck was nowhere near Zubrus and Giroux made a beeline for him. As far as Zubrus not being injured, maybe today he's feeling the effects of the hit, who knows. Shanahan needs to start being more fair on these hits instead of sheltering elite players from suspensions.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:30 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
One could argue that G was trying shoulder to shoulder and Zubrus let up and G hit the head.

Headshot to me implies deliberately going for the head.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:32 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If someone had done this to Giroux we'd all be flipping out. I don't care if he didn't leave his feet, the puck was nowhere near Zubrus and Giroux made a beeline for him. As far as Zubrus not being injured, maybe today he's feeling the effects of the hit, who knows. Shanahan needs to start being more fair on these hits instead of sheltering elite players from suspensions.
Headcontact = suspension period(unless "victim" dives). No ambiguity. Bring back the hip check!

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Half a game. I believe Neal proved that it's two questionable hits to add up to one game; unless your name rhymes with Raffi Torres, in which case you are suspended until the sun fuses itself into a lump of lifeless coal. I've done a lot of math, run quite a few simulations...and it seems as though "Giroux" and "Torres" do not rhyme. Therefore, no suspension.

05-07-2012, 11:42 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Sorry it was a tap G was mad but the jersey player sold it went down holding his head rolling around on the ice even Voracek skated around him he knew the jersey player was faking it.
And the most brilliant part was Zubrus being checked out by team doctors at intermission to clear him for play in the 3rd period. Those tricky Devils, they're so clever, they've thought of everything in the coverup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
1. Giroux has no prior suspension history
2. He doesn't leave his feet.
3. Giroux doesn't act out of retaliation to a NJ player but rather frustration with the missed call.
4. Zubrus wasn't hurt and missed 0 shifts in the 3rd.

Based on his past rulings, Shanny should levy a $2500 fine and nothing more.
I agree with 1 and 2, but I dont understand why 3 matters? In fact , "taking a headshot via acting out of frustration" is exactly one of the things Shanahan is looking to suspend guys for. So, if anything, I would think that would be one strike against Giroux.

And on 4, I KNOW this is what has played a part in these decisions, and IMO it's the worst part of how the league handles these things. You could have 2 carbon-copy hits, and on one the guys hits the ice with his shoulder and is okay, and on one the guy hits the ice with his head and gets a concussion. Hit one may not even get a suspension, hit two may get 5 or 10 game suspension. HORRIBLE. The punishment should fit the crime, not the result of the crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
he is a star player, I would be shocked if he was suspended.
This is another problem, because too often it seems to be true.

If someone could explain to me why Shea Weber didnt get at least a 1 games suspension, other than the fact that he's one of the current darlings of Canada, I'd be all ears.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:44 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Half a game. I believe Neal proved that it's two questionable hits to add up to one game; unless your name rhymes with Raffi Torres, in which case you are suspended until the sun fuses itself into a lump of lifeless coal. I've done a lot of math, run quite a few simulations...and it seems as though "Giroux" and "Torres" do not rhyme. Therefore, no suspension.
Actually...the sun will turn into a huge diamond but no consolation to Raffi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3492919.stm

Old
05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Just reverse it for a second, and it's Zubrus hits Giroux to the head, what would be the right call then?

As an unbiased fan, that was a headshot, worthy of 1 game in the playoffs, and it it was during the season, anywhere between 1 and 3 games...
No, I would think the penalty was fine. As I'm sure people will attest to around here, I am always defending calls/suspension/missed calls/etc that don't go the Flyers way. I have said certain players should be suspended on the Flyers while also saying that people who have hit Flyers should not be suspended. And I've also defended Flyers and complained when other offenders don't get suspended. But that hit last night was nothing special. If you are going to tell me that was worse than Ovechkin's or on the same level as Neal's hit(s), you need to look at it from an unbiased perspective.

There is too much bull crap in the NHL with players embellishing injuries in hopes of getting a call/suspension later on (see: Briere, Danny). There are too many fans crying after every single big hit that a guy was head hunting, etc. Giroux definitely hit him late and definitely hit his head, but it wasn't a viscous type hit that should be suspendible if anyone did it. If it was Zubrus I would be saying the same thing.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
FlyersMania2

Not trying to justify things but...based on past treatment of "star" players:

Weber = $2500 fine
Ovi = no hearing
Malkin (2 elbows) = no hearing

I bet Giroux gets the fine.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:59 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
just stop. you're making a fool out of yourself with comments like that. it was a sumb stupid hit. i didnt like it. Giroux is better then that.
He lost his focus on finishing out the period and cooling down about the missed call on Marty at the end of the period. There was less then 10 seconds left when he started chirping at the refs. I like Giroux a lot, but that was just stupid.
That said he shouldnt be suspended. fined yes, but no suspension.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Top Cheese Danish

So if he gets a game, which I think he will, does he miss the handshake line? This team is dead in the water - but he's the top scorer in the 2012 playoffs. Would he still be allowed on the ice for handshakes?

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:18 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
And the most brilliant part was Zubrus being checked out by team doctors at intermission to clear him for play in the 3rd period. Those tricky Devils, they're so clever, they've thought of everything in the coverup.
He was obviously fine in the third though.

I agree that suspending based on resulting injury is a very stupid tactic, and that has to change. My personal opinion on this hit is that it's borderline, because it's violent interference full speed, but it's hard to say whether he was intentionally targeting the head. Still, the onus is on Giroux NOT to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
So if he gets a game, which I think he will, does he miss the handshake line? This team is dead in the water - but he's the top scorer in the 2012 playoffs. Would he still be allowed on the ice for handshakes?
If he misses the game because of a suspension and we lose, no, he won't be allowed to handshake. His status as star, unofficial captain, or top scorer doesn't matter in that case.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
If he goes on the ice for a handshake which I don't recall it ever being the case for injured players but could be wrong..I hope he doesn't wash his hands after going to the bathroom....