HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2012, 10:31 PM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
I am not sure all these guys will be available but I would be quite happy if we achieved the following:

1st Round: Yakupov, Forsberg, Gallchenyuk, Grigorenko, Terravanein (In that order)
2nd Round: Matteau, Matheson, Sutter
2nd Round: Samuelson, Frk, Dansk
3rd Round: Hudon

My hopes: Forsberg, Matteau, Dansk and Hudon .. I would be quite happy with this selection
I'm hoping the Habs really consider Sissons in the 2nd round. Sure his offensive upside isn't that high, but he's a warrior and leader, definitely something lacking on both the team and prospect pool up front.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Not really a good comparison. At least Schremp got points in the OHL. Plus Robbie was all hands and playmaking, Anthanasiou is all skating, though he doesn't do much with it.
Very good points. I was more thinking of Athanasiou's few shootout attempts on YouTube that everyone makes a big deal about. I believe he missed on 2 of the 3 attempts even. Shremp was a breakaway/shootout magician.....but it lead to little in the NHL.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
He's not...
Thanks for the info.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:21 PM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

We have two 2nd round picks, I believe this guy could be an absolute steal.

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/9480

The bloodlines are there.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:30 PM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

We have 6 picks this year, and 9 next year.....3 of which are 2nd rounders. With next years draft looking pretty awesome we have some assets to get another 1st round pick.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:22 AM
McPheesMoustache
No Scrubs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars0987 View Post

ha... Couldn't just say that it was Samuelsson? Do you get paid if people link to whl.ca?

Still, would love to get him, unfortunately he may go as early as the late first rd. and if he makes it to the second he has to go past Edm at 32, right before us and they will have definitely scouted him in Edmonton...

In terms of bloodlines and a more realistic pickup, I think, is Sutter. All kinds of things to like there, including hockeysense and effort, which can make up for a lot of things. Even if they can't make up 1st line skill, those qualities ensure that you become the best at whatever role you do end up playing in...

Old
05-07-2012, 12:48 AM
rockjngo

Quote:

This guy reminds me of Murray Craven. Very useful player in this time.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:50 AM
rockjngo

Quote:
We have 6 picks this year, and 9 next year.....3 of which are 2nd rounders. With next years draft looking pretty awesome we have some assets to get another 1st round pick.
2012: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (Nashville Gill trade)
2013: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (Nashville Kostitsyn trade), 2nd (Calgary Cammalleri trade)

Last edited by rockjngo: 05-07-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old
05-07-2012, 01:37 AM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPheesMoustache View Post
ha... Couldn't just say that it was Samuelsson? Do you get paid if people link to whl.ca?

Still, would love to get him, unfortunately he may go as early as the late first rd. and if he makes it to the second he has to go past Edm at 32, right before us and they will have definitely scouted him in Edmonton...

In terms of bloodlines and a more realistic pickup, I think, is Sutter. All kinds of things to like there, including hockeysense and effort, which can make up for a lot of things. Even if they can't make up 1st line skill, those qualities ensure that you become the best at whatever role you do end up playing in...
I wish I got paid, just wanted to make it suspenseful

Old
05-07-2012, 02:07 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Bloodlines count for diddly squat without proper nurturing.

Scouts would have more success by looking at those kids who started very young, like 3 years old. It seems to be the constant, because the entire personality can get molded around that passion/sport.

Sure, the best case scenario is high genetic predisposition with maximised nurturing, so if you're looking at bloodlines, take those who's father actively participated from a very young age onwards and offered a richer hockey environment than most kids. This is not always the case with hockey players and their children as those players are often absent in key moments of the child's development.

The Subban and Staal families are great examples of rich nurturing hockey environments. This arrangement keeps repeating itself when looking at some of the best players in the league. Giroux, Price, Crosby and so many others, always the same constant, parents participating very actively and positively to the development of those players from a very young age without them having true NHL bloodlines.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:48 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Is Tavarainen playing at the WC?
http://www.iihf.com/competition/272/teams/FIN.html

Nope, he's still 17 last I checked.

Hope he makes it to the Combine. Performing there would be rather important for him.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:51 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Bloodlines are a good way to know the intangibles for a player whose father played in the NHL,that said,with the Habs 6th pick I would like to see them choose Max Iafrate. Max has inherited his Dad's rocket from the point and has improved all season long,I think he could play on a 3rd pairing for the Habs.I hope the Habs get him before Brian Burke drafts him,he could surprise everyone and play as well or better than Al Iafrate.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

Scouts would have more success by looking at those kids who started very young, like 3 years old. It seems to be the constant, because the entire personality can get molded around that passion/sport.

Sure, the best case scenario is high genetic predisposition with maximised nurturing, so if you're looking at bloodlines, take those who's father actively participated from a very young age onwards and offered a richer hockey environment than most kids. This is not always the case with hockey players and their children as those players are often absent in key moments of the child's development.

The Subban and Staal families are great examples of rich nurturing hockey environments. This arrangement keeps repeating itself when looking at some of the best players in the league. Giroux, Price, Crosby and so many others, always the same constant, parents participating very actively and positively to the development of those players from a very young age without them having true NHL bloodlines.
Samuelsson had been placed in a "nuturing hockey environment" and his father knew when to let him go somewhere that he would succeed, Sweden wasn't working for him so going to Edmonton was a good move, more playing time, growing confidence etc ect.

Jankowski (mentioned above) has good bloodlines, and was allowed to go where he felt most comfortable and it is working for him.

I personally would like to see Samuelsson fall to our 2nd rd pick so we can select him. Jankowski, if he were still around at NSH 2nd, sure.

Basically, I'm going to be glued to the Draft this year. can't wait

Old
05-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Hope he makes it to the Combine. Performing there would be rather important for him.
The combine list is already out, all the top prospects are there, as usual.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:24 AM
WestIslander

Montreal might move 3rd overall and I think that this is all speculation, so weather we all like Grigorenko or Galchenyuk or prefer Murray or Dumba, I think Bergevin is going to trade 3rd overall for a young top six winger and a mid to late 1st round draft pick in this years draft.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Carey Chant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Montreal might move 3rd overall and I think that this is all speculation, so weather we all like Grigorenko or Galchenyuk or prefer Murray or Dumba, I think Bergevin is going to trade 3rd overall for a young top six winger and a mid to late 1st round draft pick in this years draft.
I don't think our GM will risk such a high pick in a trade unless he's trading down (6th-12th) for a player he likes better and is collecting assets in the process.

Also, which team is going to trade a young top six and a mid 1st for the 3rd pick in a risky draft? That is very specific and an unlikely scenario.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:32 AM
pine

I think Bergevin will keep the 3rd overall and select a good young player, whether it be Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg or Galchenyuk.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

One scenario I could see happening is trading down 2-3 spots in the draft for an extra pick(2012 or 2013) and still selecting Galchenyuk or Teravainen at #5 or 6 if a team wants to trade up for a d-man in Murray(polished) or Dumba(upside).

Old
05-07-2012, 10:23 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I am fairly confident we're keeping the top 3 pick.

We're not a team with aging stars. Moving the pick for 2-3 years of a guy is a stupid idea. Take the pick, wait the one year in junior and then we'll have a blue chip prospect for at least 7 seasons.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:53 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPheesMoustache View Post

Edmonton will probably be drafting a defenceman with the 31st pick it's like having another first round pick,Dalton Thrower maybe.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I would be willing to trade our 2 second round picks to get a late firs round pick to draft Stefan Matteau. This guy's gonna be a tough powerforward with a meanstreak in the futur.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I would be willing to trade our 2 second round picks to get a late firs round pick to draft Stefan Matteau. This guy's gonna be a tough powerforward with a meanstreak in the futur.
We could likely get that with our 2nd in Samuelsson, if that is the case, nothing saying we couldn't use the NSH 2nd and our 3rd to move up in the 2nd. Maybe around 40, Matteau could still be on the board at that point, if not maybe Lukas Sutter.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:18 AM
habshound247

This morning Jack Todd wrote that Geoff Molson should consider hiring Jacques Lemaire. Now before this breaks into a Jack Todd debate, I'm just curious if Bergevin/Timmins were considering one of Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Murray or Dumba for the #3 pick, how much would a players ability to fit into Lemaire's(or any other coach) system determine the pick.

Grigorenko is one of the most offensively dynamic players in this year's draft but his defense has been questioned at times. Galchenyuk is a dynamic two way player who doesn't appear to have the offensive upside of Grigorenko. Do you take a system BPA or overall BPA who may not fit into the system?

Old
05-07-2012, 11:23 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I would personally punch Timmins and Bergevin in the nuts if they wasted those 2 picks on him. What a terrible idea. I'm all for trading up but not for a guy like Matteau. Maybe Hertl or Frk, but the depth is good enough in the 2nd to keep both.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:30 AM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

You really just thought all that up because I said he has the bloodlines? Geeze bud, get a hobby.

Closed Thread