HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

coaching change?

Old
05-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
2 straight years embarrassed in the 2nd Rd without a single adjustment except changing goalie or lines. Having to continuously take time outs in the 1st period because team doesn't show up at start of game. 8 straight loses to the Rangers. The players and goalie were blamed last year but similar result this year. He will get one more year because of rookies and injuries.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Reaper1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
5.75M to 6.3M for about 8 years per (till he's 35) for Suter?
This would make Lavi's coaching job look much better...

So no, I wouldnt even consider a coaching change.

The money saved by letting carle and jagr walk will basically pay for Suter's contract

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:48 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

We can talk about injuries and prattle about regular season points and go on about rookies but there's just no masking that the Flyers had two days to prepare for last night's game and they still displayed no knowledge whatsoever for how to counter the Devils. The Devils knew what the Flyers were going to do in their own end, at centerice, and on the attack. I bet the Flyers had three or four clean breakouts per period last night. Dreadful. Meanwhile the Devils are exiting their zone with ease and the TV commentators are replaying it and talking about the breakouts being the result of great coaching.

As was mentioned by someone else last night, the Flyers looks like the Caps of recent years - toss a bunch of highly-skilled players onto the ice, let them run wild, sell a lot of jerseys, then watch the disappointing Springtime fail when it counts.

And for heaven's sake when a coach needs to use his timeout in the first five minutes of a game, he hasn't been doing his job. Period.

Lavi looks clueless to me.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:50 AM
kimmofan44

i think lavy will work wonders with this crew next year.with schenn couturier simmonds voracek read and others getting a full year under thier belts in orage and black sky is the limit for the potential. if homer can work some magic with the d in the offseason and this team finally gets a captain, be it pronger or a new one, th flyers will be first in the east for sure. i do feel like lavyis getting slightly out coached in this devils series, but with a bunch of rookies on the team who have never even been in the playoffs much less been behind in a series like they are now its too be expected.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 800
Laviolette is a good coach iI think. I liked his tenure in Boston ( and with the Providence Bruins.) Did nt he win a cup with Carolina in 2006 too? I might be mistaken.

Bruinswillwin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:01 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
We can talk about injuries and prattle about regular season points and go on about rookies but there's just no masking that the Flyers had two days to prepare for last night's game and they still displayed no knowledge whatsoever for how to counter the Devils. The Devils knew what the Flyers were going to do in their own end, at centerice, and on the attack. I bet the Flyers had three or four clean breakouts per period last night. Dreadful. Meanwhile the Devils are exiting their zone with ease and the TV commentators are replaying it and talking about the breakouts being the result of great coaching.

As was mentioned by someone else last night, the Flyers looks like the Caps of recent years - toss a bunch of highly-skilled players onto the ice, let them run wild, sell a lot of jerseys, then watch the disappointing Springtime fail when it counts.

And for heaven's sake when a coach needs to use his timeout in the first five minutes of a game, he hasn't been doing his job. Period.

Really can't argue with this post. The bolded is the damning part, I think. There's been no attempt to adapt to the Devils' game -- we've just been doing the same thing over and over, to no avail.

As to the Caps part -- that's what I've been saying to people. I grew up in Caps 'territory' and watched a lot of those Boudreau teams. Scoring a ton of goals is great, but in the long run, it's the D that wins, as the saying goes.

It should also be noted that of the 8 teams that made it to this round, the Flyers and Caps were the defensive outliers. The Caps have adapted and changed their system, the Flyers have not. Commitment to winning?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:12 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
terrible idea

Lavy has done pretty much all he can this season with the team he has. We've got rookies, a goalie trying to find his game and injuries to key players. Considering we got into the 2nd round when a lot of "experts" had us getting destroyed by the Pens, or even missing the playoffs completely, Lavy has done a good job this year.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:30 AM
thelos
Bunk

It's unnerving how unwilling to adjust he is, but are there really any better options out there? He is a good coach, maybe just too stubborn

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:37 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Lavy has about a year left in him IMO....he's a good coach but I really believe in the shelf life criticism with him. I'm not happy with how he hasn't really adjusted against the Devils but not sure right now we have the right team based on a number of factors including a depleted and spent D and rookies learning adversity in the playoffs. To me though it's the D issue with lack of transition out of the zone. Players like Pronger, Mesz and even Bourdon would have helped no doubt. I think if Holmgren reconstitutes the D he'll be able to extend Lavy's shelf life a bit more but Lavi is going to have to adjust further and get this team to play a hybrid system when necessary. His go go go system is fine for the regular season and despite his cup win and the 2010 cup run he had ...the league is not static and it's learning to neutralize him when the going gets tough (playoffs). We beat Pitt b/c they were willing to run and gun with us and Lavy said he didn't care how they won but that they won. Well....against the Devils there was no way you were going to duplicate the Pitt series. He's even admitted it's a different series and system they are up against and clearly him and the team haven't adjusted too well.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

Typical Bash-A-Delphian.

Overall, I'm happy with what Lavi has been able to accomplish with these team. Everyone should go back to threads from the beginning of the season and see what we all expected with the personell the team had to work with. There's no secret that teams that make major overhauls don't win the Cup the next season; I am still hoping the Flyers become the exception to the rule this year.

There is something disconcerting about the number of times the Flyers go down early in games, though. It hasn't been a short-term problem, which is the most troubling.

Coaches like Lavi, high-intensity, in-your-face guys, have short shelf lives, but I still believe he has the attention of the room.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 05-07-2012 at 10:37 AM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:14 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Michel Therrien?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:39 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Michel Therrien?
Good for defensive structure on a young team..but not a huge fan.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:41 AM
toughfighter83*

maybe they should keep lavi and i think this organization really has to look at the players that arent playing right and get rid of them,

does anyone take notice ever since jvr came back this team has been out of sync? maybe it's not coaching i think it's the players and lack of leadership, plus giroux is not a leader he has no clue what to do.

they need a leader like nash or webber. if pronger was still here i think this team would have a better chance since he was the main reason why they got to the finals. players like jvr and harts has to step it up, i think one of them is gone.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:46 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
plus giroux is not a leader he has no clue what to do.
Beg to differ....

Old
05-07-2012, 01:47 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Typical Bash-A-Delphian.

haha good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
There is something disconcerting about the number of times the Flyers go down early in games, though. It hasn't been a short-term problem, which is the most troubling.
There have been some things that have been apparently wrong since October that haven't been remedied, and that is unsettling, indeed.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:00 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Lavy stays.

But needless to say he is getting outcoached this series.

All the tiny adjustments last night should have happened a full game ago.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Swiper the Fox

we aren't done yet folks !

coach is fine
what they need is a tony robbins motivational speech ( or 3 )
hehe

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Andre Poodle Lussier

An upgrade in defense is needed.

Lavy should stay...give him a two year extension and then reassess at the end of next year.

Andre Poodle Lussier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Cuiff

I said it in Jan and I'll say it now! I like Lavy but he has to go!

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Amateur Hour

Lavy doesn't need to go... he just needs an assistant coach who excels at defensive strategy.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Lavy doesn't need to go... he just needs an assistant coach who excels at defensive strategy.
Fair point but unfortunately his assistant is a package deal...that was the agreement when he came aboard. Maybe if they threaten him with firing he'll reconsider....

Old
05-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
If Pronger and Mez are healthy will this team still have defensive problems? I mean they struggled with their defense basically last year from the December shellacking at the hands of Florida. I think Lavy is a great coach and I want to keep him around, but you do have to ask some questions.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:11 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
If Pronger and Mez are healthy will this team still have defensive problems? I mean they struggled with their defense basically last year from the December shellacking at the hands of Florida. I think Lavy is a great coach and I want to keep him around, but you do have to ask some questions.
See, the past two years though, when we had a relatively healthy defense, can you say with confidence we struggled as bad as we did now? I personally don't. Ya, he happened at times, but not on a constant basis like it is now. Our current defense personal just isn't that good. Our best defense these playoffs has been Coburn hands down. Next would be Timonen, but his age is really catching up to him. Looks tired and drained. Grossmann hasnt been the same since the injury and I really hope an offseason gets him back to pre-injury form. Carle has been downright horrendous. Even his boys over in BSH are saying he hasn't looked the best. He honestly doesnt know how to play defense. Can move the puck well, but has zero recognition at playing on the defensive end. Kubina, when he played, looked slow and pretty bad. Lilja has looked horrendous for the past few games. Age is catching up to him also. Gustaffson is what he is, a rookie. Looked really good the first game, solid the second, average the next two, and then this past game struggled a bit. I dont have confidence MAB would be doing any better.

We just dont have the personal. Our defense is WAYYY to old. Playoff experience can only get you so far.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
See, the past two years though, when we had a relatively healthy defense, can you say with confidence we struggled as bad as we did now? I personally don't. Ya, he happened at times, but not on a constant basis like it is now. Our current defense personal just isn't that good. Our best defense these playoffs has been Coburn hands down. Next would be Timonen, but his age is really catching up to him. Looks tired and drained. Grossmann hasnt been the same since the injury and I really hope an offseason gets him back to pre-injury form. Carle has been downright horrendous. Even his boys over in BSH are saying he hasn't looked the best. He honestly doesnt know how to play defense. Can move the puck well, but has zero recognition at playing on the defensive end. Kubina, when he played, looked slow and pretty bad. Lilja has looked horrendous for the past few games. Age is catching up to him also. Gustaffson is what he is, a rookie. Looked really good the first game, solid the second, average the next two, and then this past game struggled a bit. I dont have confidence MAB would be doing any better.

We just dont have the personal. Our defense is WAYYY to old. Playoff experience can only get you so far.
I know they arent good, or they are to old. What types of moves can be made? I dont see Suter coming here, and nobody in their right mind is going to trade away a franchise caliber defenseman that is young. I will be happy once Carle is gone, and then go from there. Im assuming that Pronger is done and Kimmo might retire too. So that leaves us with Mez, Coburn, and Grossman. Where do they go after this, because they need to get better defensemen.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Tim Tebow

IMO Lavy is a great coach but his style of coaching can be like pouring gas on a fire at times. They just don't look like a team with any composure or leadership this round. The same guys who stepped up last series and looked like hard workers are the same players who are whining and complaining and taking dumb penalties and showing no self control this series. Again IMO this seems like a team with a lot of immaturity showing and a lack of veteran composure and leadership.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote