HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Game 4: Rangers vs. Caps-Eastern Conference Semis

Old
05-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Petey Pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I was going to post this, but opted against it because it would probably be too antagonistic. I agree with you that Cally has gotten off FAR too easily this playoff run.

But the difference is Cally usually is far more physical player, doesn't hurt us on the transition. We have better chance playing in the opposing teams end when Cally is on the ice.
Cally was instrumental in the game 3 win

Quote:
In addressing Boyle in Sens series, I think big reason we closed out the series was because of Boyle's absence which in turn gave our skill guys more ice time.

Bingo

Petey Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
I was going to post this, but opted against it because it would probably be too antagonistic. I agree with you that Cally has gotten off FAR too easily this playoff run.

But the difference is Cally usually is far more physical player, doesn't hurt us on the transition. We have better chance playing in the opposing teams end when Cally is on the ice.

Now his lack of offensive IQ is certainly apparent. That is why I don't believe he is a true 2nd line player(he is bubble 2nd liner/3rd line guy)who benefits greatly with the grinding system we employ.

Cally has poor playmaking ability and absolutely DREADFUL offensive habits(his overuse of the backhand-especially blind passes into the slot).

But at the end of the day, his leadership, defensive play and physicality make me overlook his shortcomings. Even when Cally isn't playing well, he is usually reliable to create space for the other players on his line. He is also pretty much are only player who is willing to go to the dirty areas or create some sort of proper net presence.

In addressing Boyle in Sens series, I think a big reason we closed out the series was because of Boyle's absence which in turn gave our skill guys more ice time.
I disagree greatly in regards to Cally's offensive skillset. I think that he doesn't get to showcase it because most of the time he's battling on the boards and making space. He doesn't have tick tack thread the needles passes, but he rarely allows a turnover without throwing a puck at the net for the scrum.

And I kinda love the backhand past to the slot.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
NikC

This past Saturday's game was the most "un-ranger like" of the playoffs so far. poor forecheck, hardly any hitting, blocked shots. did not look aggressive. They didn't look mentally prepared to play the game.

Its a shame, because with game 2 and 4 we should at least be up 3-1 in this series. Rangers routinely play down to the level of their opponent this season/playoffs. They have yet to elevated their play collectively and sustain pressure.

IMO this is both a coaching issue and a personel issue. On one hand we just don't have enough offensive firepower. We have a coach that just can't coach an offensive game. This team looks so uncomfortable in the offensive zone it's painful to watch.

I truly hope this season's version of the NYR is just a product of a coach doing the best with what he has. We simply have to acquire more scoring talent. We can't continue with an offense and PP this inept.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I disagree greatly in regards to Cally's offensive skillset. I think that he doesn't get to showcase it because most of the time he's battling on the boards and making space. He doesn't have tick tack thread the needles passes, but he rarely allows a turnover without throwing a puck at the net for the scrum.

And I kinda love the backhand past to the slot.
Yeah its called an unforced turnover and it shows his terrible lack of vision/poise. He tries to force things that aren't there. There is nothing endearing about it for me, unless your a masochist.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
This past Saturday's game was the most "un-ranger like" of the playoffs so far. poor forecheck, hardly any hitting, blocked shots. did not look aggressive. They didn't look mentally prepared to play the game.

Its a shame, because with game 2 and 4 we should at least be up 3-1 in this series. Rangers routinely play down to the level of their opponent this season/playoffs. They have yet to elevated their play collectively and sustain pressure.

IMO this is both a coaching issue and a personel issue. On one hand we just don't have enough offensive firepower. We have a coach that just can't coach an offensive game. This team looks so uncomfortable in the offensive zone it's painful to watch.

I truly hope this season's version of the NYR is just a product of a coach doing the best with what he has. We simply have to acquire more scoring talent. We can't continue with an offense and PP this inept.
Excellent post.

Which in turn goes with what this team needs to do to beat the caps. Sustained forecheck pressure. Its something the Bruins didn't do in their series against the Caps.

If we don't learn from that mistake, we will lose the series. You have to break the Caps physically. Trying to match neutral zone mistakes is too risky against the them.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:26 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

After such outrage over the officiating of the least game I finally had the patience to come back on here. I held out because I didn't want to say something I was going to regret but I can't believe through and through how God-awful the officiating has been in the playoffs. I mean we're used to bad officiating but this playoff season has really pushed it to a new level.

I don't believe in an anti-Ranger agenda (though I do believe in a pro-Pittsburgh one) but the refs shouldn't be the focal point in the game. Either be consistent or put the damn whistles away.

I have nothing else to add without losing my civility.

05-06-2012, 06:31 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
After such outrage over the officiating of the least game I finally had the patience to come back on here. I held out because I didn't want to say something I was going to regret but I can't believe through and through how God-awful the officiating has been in the playoffs. I mean we're used to bad officiating but this playoff season has really pushed it to a new level.

I don't believe in an anti-Ranger agenda (though I do believe in a pro-Pittsburgh one) but the refs shouldn't be the focal point in the game. Either be consistent or put the damn whistles away.

I probably should have considered doing that yesterday. Instead, I posted three times while I was literally raging. I don't remember the last time I got that angry at a game before. Even thinking about it today gets me fired up.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:33 PM
NikC

Quote:
Excellent post.

Which in turn goes with what this team needs to do to beat the caps. Sustained forecheck pressure. Its something the Bruins didn't do in their series against the Caps.

If we don't learn from that mistake, we will lose the series. You have to break the Caps physically. Trying to match neutral zone mistakes is too risky against the them.
thx. agreed. we've got to bloody this Caps team. Gentleman John is getting outcoached. When we take it to their defense they cave in!

The start of period 3. the Caps were standing around, I really thought we were going to score. We leveled off and played at their level. The play where Staal skated down the ice and dished that puck off to Gaborik only for him to "push a half @ss shot" somewhere towards the net? Torts was right to scream at him there!

We continue this way, and play just "good enough", leaving the decision to the officiating, is going to cost us the series.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:40 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I probably should have considered doing that yesterday. Instead, I posted three times while I was literally raging. I don't remember the last time I got that angry at a game before. Even thinking about it today gets me fired up.
There is definetly an agenda. It's to promote long series' and smaller market teams, teams that have stars like AO.

Going into 3rd periods tied against Washington will most likely lead to
goals scored against us and losses. The refs are simply ignoring what the Caps are doing to us in these third periods. Things they haven't seen all game are suddenly so aparent to them and the calls go against us.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
thx. agreed. we've got to bloody this Caps team. Gentleman John is getting outcoached. When we take it to their defense they cave in!

The start of period 3. the Caps were standing around, I really thought we were going to score. We leveled off and played at their level. The play where Staal skated down the ice and dished that puck off to Gaborik only for him to "push a half @ss shot" somewhere towards the net? Torts was right to scream at him there!

We continue this way, and play just "good enough", leaving the decision to the officiating, is going to cost us the series.
That isn't the play Torts lost it on. Torts lost it with Gabs when he had a massive shooting lane entering the O zone. He had a TON of space and no one was covering him. So Gabs decided to pass the puck to Stepan who was covered streaking into the slot. Absolutely dreadful decision making on the part of Gabs.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:58 PM
XLJ

Boyle is fine as a 4th line center, but Torts plays him way too much. Its sad when we our down a goal with a couple of minutes left and you see guys like Boyle and Prust on the ice.

Rangers are lacking depth. We are missing a quality third line. Guys like Boyle, Prust, Rupp, Mitchell and Feds are all 4th line players.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:13 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
So much for punching our easy ticket to the finals. Thanks Devils...

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Rangers2319

i have no issues with nj, better then pit or bos imo

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
So much for punching our easy ticket to the finals. Thanks Devils...
Honestly, if the road block of the devils is what is preventing the Rangers from the SCF. They don't deserve to go.

Its not a hard matchup either way. Devils make it harder but certainly not difficult.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Does anyone know who the guy on the right is in this pic? The Thor guy? I don't think we have a player that looks like that, or I'm completely spacing out.

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:28 PM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

looks like Boyle

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post
Does anyone know who the guy on the right is in this pic? The Thor guy? I don't think we have a player that looks like that, or I'm completely spacing out.

That is the fruitiest thing I have ever seen.

I will at least give it that Cally is in the right spot however horribly photoshopped.

Btw, Boyle doesn't need a stone hammer, his hands are already made of stone.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Really? Must be an old pic.

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Boyle is fine as a 4th line center, but Torts plays him way too much. Its sad when we our down a goal with a couple of minutes left and you see guys like Boyle and Prust on the ice.

Rangers are lacking depth. We are missing a quality third line. Guys like Boyle, Prust, Rupp, Mitchell and Feds are all 4th line players.
i dont see why Mitchell is still here... JT Miller can do that same as Mitchell..Miller can be invisible too but at least Miller would be learning the NHL game...imagine if he gets called up.. 2 rookie forwards in one playoffs season......he has more grit size and toughness than Mitchell.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i dont see why Mitchell is still here... JT Miller can do that same as Mitchell..Miller can be invisible too but at least Miller would be learning the NHL game...imagine if he gets called up.. 2 rookie forwards in one playoffs season......he has more grit size and toughness than Mitchell.
JT miller isn't ready yet. Trust me, I want him here badly. But I think it would be a tad premature. Especially since most of his game is about defense.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:01 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Must step up and get the job done, ****ing tired of all the ******** we have to hear from Caps fans about their team being better then ours

We played lackadaisical and did not play consistently...Get the job done!

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
True Blue

I had a feeling that the Rangers were going to be flat, and they were. However, I did not expect the Caps to go on a PP for a play that was ignored when it occured to Boyle.

One observation: one of teh majoy issues on our PP is that NO ONE recieves a pass and shoots. Everyone cradles teh puck. Passes it again. Thinks about this or that. There is NO ONE who simply recieves the pass and fires.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:58 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
One observation: one of teh majoy issues on our PP is that NO ONE recieves a pass and shoots. Everyone cradles teh puck. Passes it again. Thinks about this or that. There is NO ONE who simply recieves the pass and fires.
There is no decisiveness at all. When they do shoot, they wait an extra few seconds and fire it into a defenseman.

Going back to MSG will help. The ice in Wash. looked beyond awful.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:12 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
There is no decisiveness at all. When they do shoot, they wait an extra few seconds and fire it into a defenseman.

Going back to MSG will help. The ice in Wash. looked beyond awful.
I really think that is one of the main problems. The lack of instant shooting. They give the opposition plenty of time to get into position. They do not make the opposing team run around.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote