HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

ECSF Discussion: (5) Philadelphia Flyers vs (6) New Jersey Devils - Devils Win 4-1

Old
05-07-2012, 09:13 AM
moosehead81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
it makes me sick thinking richards would win a cup before us. now that i know all about his non commitment to the dry island and the way he would show up to games(in the playoffs!)! hung over with 2 hours sleep, i've grown to dislike him.
Same old, same old- half the team didn't commit to dry island, according to Holmgren himself, and if Mike Richards was showing up for play-off games hung over with 2 hours sleep, given the way he played, the Flyers would have won 3 Stanley Cups with him if he was rested and sober. Give it up- it's getting tiresome and, although the NJ series is far from over, one cannot help but notice that MR is playing in the conference finals. If LA goes to the SCF, that will be 2 finals for Richards in 3 years.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:24 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Same old, same old- half the team didn't commit to dry island, according to Holmgren himself, and if Mike Richards was showing up for play-off games hung over with 2 hours sleep, given the way he played, the Flyers would have won 3 Stanley Cups with him if he was rested and sober. Give it up- it's getting tiresome and, although the NJ series is far from over, one cannot help but notice that MR is playing in the conference finals. If LA goes to the SCF, that will be 2 finals for Richards in 3 years.
Where are you coming up with these stories?

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:47 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Having heard from all the players :"we do not know what to do" in the postgame interviews leaves me in doubt for the above statement.

If they truly have no direction from the coaching staff, not only will they loose the series, but also will loose trust in their coach.

Some say "defence does not win games", but this year it does (and forecheck is a defencive play- defence start when an opposing team has a possession of a puck); and failure to recognize the trend and adjust to it has caused this team lost games.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Darwin

Finally, I do realize that our defence is decimated, and that should make coach and the team pay more attention on playing defence as a team. On 2/3 goals yesterday forwards were just coasting.
This is bad...like Barber bad. Reminds of when the Flyers players were saying the same thing about Barber not knowing how to adjust and Barber just told them to work harder. Needless to say the players worked hard to get him fired....

I don't know that Lavi's lost this team necessarily but Devils sure have created doubt on his team and Lavi needs to take some responsibility for the disinterest the players are showing. Clearly they are not believing in anything he's suggesting to counter what the Devils are doing. Devils pretty much look like they have a mic in the Flyers locker room or Lou Lamoriello stole Lavi's playbook like in the movie Waterboy...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Teezax

It's sickening to see the Devils have so much damn space in the neutral zone and slot and we can barely get any sustained pressure in the O zone.
We need to try and emulate their game and beat them at it if we are to even win a damn game at this point. This is getting embarrassing. It's like we've given up and we refuse to play against their system.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:19 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
It's like we've given up and we refuse to play against their system.
It's not "like" we've given up....we have given up IMO. They are befuddled and it is embarassing. In one instance I counted 4 players hemming in our D man and there was no puck support from the rest of the players. The Devils look like robots out there with how organized they are...

Old
05-07-2012, 10:29 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Listening to post game interviews, Flyers are not only beat on the ice, they are beat up mentally.
I think this is a good point, and I noticed it after Game 3, listening to the postgame comments, some of the Flyers were like the proverbial deer-in-headlights, a few of them even made comments to the effect that they didnt think the Devils would be this much trouble, which is a very honest (and kindof rare) thing for pro athletes to say.

But the mind is a powerful thing, and if you dont believe you can do something, you've almost prevented yourself from being able to do it. The opposite is true too. As an extreme example, I've seen people in a hospital so convinced that they would pass out from having their blood drawn or some other procedure etc..... that they actually did faint. That amazes me.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Xoggz22

I'm bringing my good luck from Columbus along with my O'Voracek green St. Patricks Day Jersery. As an outsider, Philly looks to be playing much too loose and nervous in their own zone. A lot of mistakes and loose play. Need 5 men playing in all 3 zones. I haven't seen that lately from Philly. Hoping for a Flyers win on Tuesday.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:30 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I was watching Stubhub during the game, started at like 50 tix around $90, dropped to $60 by the end of the game, down to $35 this morning haha. The sub $50 were are going fast, but there are PLENTY. Only good thing about losing, eh?

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:34 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I'm bringing my good luck from Columbus along with my O'Voracek green St. Patricks Day Jersery. As an outsider, Philly looks to be playing much too loose and nervous in their own zone. A lot of mistakes and loose play. Need 5 men playing in all 3 zones. I haven't seen that lately from Philly. Hoping for a Flyers win on Tuesday.
We look completely dominated like never before. i've never seen a hockey team get violated like this before this series. wait thats not true, i remember once in 1997.......

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
It's sickening to see the Devils have so much damn space in the neutral zone and slot and we can barely get any sustained pressure in the O zone.
We need to try and emulate their game and beat them at it if we are to even win a damn game at this point. This is getting embarrassing. It's like we've given up and we refuse to play against their system.
But in your guys defense, you have two real young kids who just came out of junior hockey in Schenn and Couturier. They still need to bulk up abit.

Devils have major size and weight on the wings with Ponikarovsky, Zubrus, Bernier and Kovy who are all around 230 pounds. Those are huge forwards who can all move pretty well considering their size. Add that to the fact that your defense is decimated by injuries and it's not surprising that you can't get out of your own zone.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:41 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
it's not surprising that you can't get out of your own zone.
We can just not very often

Old
05-07-2012, 12:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I havent given up. But We get to see what this team is made of both mentally and physcially tomorrow night. its gutcheck time.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:18 PM
flyershockey

Is anybody shocked at how much obstruction is being let go in the neutral zone? It's the same as on the forecheck as well. I'm not saying this is why the Flyers are losing, but these are the kind of things that refs were ultra sensitive about just a season or two ago.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:20 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Is anybody shocked at how much obstruction is being let go in the neutral zone? It's the same as on the forecheck as well. I'm not saying this is why the Flyers are losing, but these are the kind of things that refs were ultra sensitive about just a season or two ago.
It's the playoffs, they let almost everything go. The Flyers would almost have been better off going nutso like the Penguins did in Game 3 last series to force the refs to call every tiny thing, because we're getting destroyed 5 on 5.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
every team does that in the 3rd period tho. I am not going to make an issue of how NJ is clamping down the nuetral zone in the 3rd period.

I really hope Laviolette let this team have it after the game. They lost thier focus by getting mad at the refs. Our best players need to be better then that. You are already getting your ***** kicked on the ice, it doesnt help when you lose your mental focus on trying to beat NJ instead of screaming at the refs.
When you dont have the puck and when you are getting dominated on the ice you cant expect to get the calls. if you dont have the puck you generally arent going to get many PP chances.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:23 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Not shocked but very irritated. However, the Devils always find a wrinkle in the rules they are usually allowed to employ without impunity. They are masters of getting everybody on board to essentially cheat (bend the rules) thus making it harder on the refs to call everything. Sadly Flyers haven't figured out their own way to circumvent the rules but then again this is the Flyers..always one of the most penalized teams in hockey..warranted or not.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:30 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Not shocked but very irritated. However, the Devils always find a wrinkle in the rules they are usually allowed to employ without impunity. They are masters of getting everybody on board to essentially cheat (bend the rules) thus making it harder on the refs to call everything. Sadly Flyers haven't figured out their own way to circumvent the rules but then again this is the Flyers..always one of the most penalized teams in hockey..warranted or not.
So you're claiming that the Devils are clutching and grabbing, but the Flyers are not clutching and grabbing? Really? Have you watched any of the games? That department is pretty even with both teams being guilty.

And taken in total, if one team can ***** more about the refs in this series over the other one, it's certainly the Devils. Hell, Game 3 doesn't even make it to overtime if not for the refs. What a turning point that would have been if the Flyers scored on one of the gift powerplays late-3rd and in OT.

As for the bolded part above. What multiple rules exploits are you referring to?

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:37 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
So you're claiming that the Devils are clutching and grabbing, but the Flyers are not clutching and grabbing? Really? Have you watched any of the games? That department is pretty even with both teams being guilty.

And taken in total, if one team can ***** more about the refs in this series over the other one, it's certainly the Devils. Hell, Game 3 doesn't even make it to overtime if not for the refs. What a turning point that would have been if the Flyers scored on one of the gift powerplays late-3rd and in OT.

As for the bolded part above. What multiple rules exploits are you referring to?
again, not sure why discussions like this between the two fan bases happen on one of the team's boards and not on the SC PO General discussion board. I have yet, nor do I plan to, even visit the Devils' board.

We all can agree to disagree on so many aspects of the series, but we shouldn't worry that if we voice our opinions on our own board, we have to go back and forth with the opposing team's fan base. That should be done on the other board.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
again, not sure why discussions like this between the two fan bases happen on one of the team's boards and not on the SC PO General discussion board. I have yet, nor do I plan to, even visit the Devils' board.

We all can agree to disagree on so many aspects of the series, but we shouldn't worry that if we voice our opinions on our own board, we have to go back and forth with the opposing team's fan base. That should be done on the other board.
Thanks....not going to engage. Some truths are self-evident anyway...

Old
05-07-2012, 12:43 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Thanks....not going to engage. Some truths are self-evident anyway...
haha.

For instance, the Devils interfere on practically every shift the Flyers come into their zone. Game 3 was particularly bad, at least 5 instances of this. Last game, they got 2 interference penalties.

I don't post above info on the SC PO General Discussion because I don't feel like having a Devils fan point out other unrelated things the Flyers do. I am sure there are things the Flyers are guilty of but when I want to bring something up to other Flyers fans, without having some sort of argument from the Devils fans, I do it here.

I wish Devs fans on here would understand this logic. We are not saying the Flyers do NOTHING wrong, but we aren't discussing said "wrong act" by Flyers we are discussing something else.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
The team needs to take these before the game tomorrow:

And Lavy and co:

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:48 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

I was kinda bummed out about this loss yesterday, but call me crazy or whatever I think we can actually win this series. A sense of confidence washed over me this morning.

Why the **** not? Go all out in Game 5, force a Game 6. Beat them in Game 7.

**** you Devils, we're winning this.

They can win 3 in a row, so can we.

SHUN THE NON BELIEVERS.

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:50 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJagr View Post
I was kinda bummed out about this loss yesterday, but call me crazy or whatever I think we can actually win this series. A sense of confidence washed over me this morning.

Why the **** not? Go all out in Game 5, force a Game 6. Beat them in Game 7.

**** you Devils, we're winning this.
I wish. The problem I see is similar to the problem the Pens faced. Their team when talking to the media never seemed to have an answer - it was along the lines of what we say now.

For some reason we are playing uninspired hockey. The only good sign I saw yesterday was Lilja putting the puck in the zone high off the glass.

You dump and chase (as we are doing) - rush into the zone, Brodeur plays the puck back out and everyone has to scramble back.

Unless we change a number of things (which we didnt seem to do after game 2), I think we are done. I dont want us to be and I hope I am wrong but we will see.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
I wish. The problem I see is similar to the problem the Pens faced. Their team when talking to the media never seemed to have an answer - it was along the lines of what we say now.

For some reason we are playing uninspired hockey. The only good sign I saw yesterday was Lilja putting the puck in the zone high off the glass.

You dump and chase (as we are doing) - rush into the zone, Brodeur plays the puck back out and everyone has to scramble back.

Unless we change a number of things (which we didnt seem to do after game 2), I think we are done. I dont want us to be and I hope I am wrong but we will see.
Can you imagine if Lilja is the one to solve the riddle of the Devils with his play? Right now the Flyers are practicing the Lilja play like savants....

Old
05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Can you imagine if Lilja is the one to solve the riddle of the Devils with his play? Right now the Flyers are practicing the Lilja play like savants....
The best part of all of this is that Brodeur being a third d-man and playing the puck is literally NOTHING NEW.

Why we come in doing the dump and chase knowing this, is beyond me