HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal on the trade block?

Old
05-07-2012, 10:51 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Jordan Staal on the trade block?

We need more size after seeing what the Devils have done to counter us....would love Staal..hefty price. Doubt it happens since Pitt would not want him here but one never knows. Maybe Talbot and Jags can help. Otherwise, Nash is an option. However, the main focus still has to be D...just thought Staal's availability would be intriguing.

Quote:
Reasons that Jordan Staal may be dealt are the Penguins burgeoning payroll, how the new CBA may look, and that he’s 3rd on the Pens depth chart behind Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. The Pens wouldn’t make a draft day trade with the Oilers for the #1 pick just to make a splash since the draft is in Pittsburgh. A trade to the Hurricanes to reunite with his brother Eric does make some sense. The Hurricanes have defenseman Justin Faulk, Staal wannabe Brandon Sutter (not as much offensive upside) and the 8th overall pick.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...422951/http://

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:53 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

I would focus on defense

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Shwag33

No way the penguins consider trading staal to philly unless its something downright stupid which would be like staal for giroux. Clearly not happening.

Also staal doesnt have a NTC so pittsburgh can trade him wherever so jagr/talbot don't help.

Shwag33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
achdumeingute

Too bad he doesn't play on a team in the west, he'd be a GREAT addition.

No way PIT trades him here. I think it's a bad move to trade him, but organizationally they are in a bind. If crosby was healthy, I think they would move Malkin and get a windfall for him.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:02 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Do not want. The guy is a total tool. Def the worst of the Staal brothers.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:18 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
no, that would be Jared

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:30 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Meh. It would be nice to have him, but the Flyers have far more pressing needs on the blueline and would have to give up far too much to get him. Not to mention that it would be incredibly shocking for these two teams to make a deal of this caliber. This isn't like swapping AHL guys. This is swapping one of the top (if not the top) defensive forwards in the game for what would likely be a king's ransom that would include at least one of JVR, Schenn, or Couturier and would likely include more on top of that. If we are dealing those players, they have to get a defensive anchor on the blue line. Schenn and Couturier moving forward will be excellent defensive shut down guys. Factor in someone like Wellwood and Talbot and our defensive forwards aren't as bad as people like to think. Now our actual defensemen...that is a different story.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:32 AM
MsWoof

It would be nice since our forwards suck at defence but I agree with others who say it's not going to happen.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:58 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

I would sign him in another year if he becomes a FA, would not give up any assets for him now though. Staal is the only Penguin I like, have liked him before he was drafted.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
You clearly know as much about centres as you do about goaltenders.

aka nothing

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Yep, what the Flyers need right now are more centers!

I like Staal, but he's unnecessary right now, especially when we need defensive help.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:30 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Yep, what the Flyers need right now are more centers!

I like Staal, but he's unnecessary right now, especially when we need defensive help.
Well he's not just a typical center. Guy is a horse. Until our center's fill out and Briere grows a few inches and adds 20lbs we are skilled down the middle but not that strong at least not against the likes of NJ...

Old
05-07-2012, 12:55 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Not happening. Pens would never trade him here, and when he be comes a FA he probably wants more money than he's really worth. So no from me too.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:58 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

id only want him because he looks like andy samberg

and i doubt hes going to make me laugh so no thanks

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Staal is the kind of player we could use in that he'd automatically become our best defensive forward. Defensive acumen is the biggest thing that our forwards lack right now. As nice as it would be to have him, Pittsburgh would never trade him here, and we should be spending our money/assets on fixing the defense long term. In the long term, defensive play for the forwards will be fine. It's just that we have so many rookies and young guys still learning it, and our older guys are terrible at it(Jagr, Briere) that it's compounded into a huge problem.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Not happening. Pens would never trade him here, and when he be comes a FA he probably wants more money than he's really worth. So no from me too.
Maybe by the time he's a FA Couturier will have filled out and Schenn will be more polished as well. Probably best we stick with the way we're going and maybe try and unload Briere as much as I would not like losing his production in the playoffs. Right now with his defensive game really taking a turn for the worst b/c not enough around him to cover his lapses...might be time to call him into the office and send him back to Buffalo perhaps with Leino...

Old
05-07-2012, 01:04 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Maybe by the time he's a FA Couturier will have filled out and Schenn will be more polished as well. Probably best we stick with the way we're going and maybe try and unload Briere as much as I would not like losing his production in the playoffs. Right now with his defensive game really taking a turn for the worst b/c not enough around him to cover his lapses...might be time to call him into the office and send him back to Buffalo perhaps with Leino...
Briere has always been pretty terrible defensively. With his advancing age unless we find a sucker he's probably here until he retires or his contract ends.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:03 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Briere has always been pretty terrible defensively. With his advancing age unless we find a sucker he's probably here until he retires or his contract ends.
Briere's contract is VERY tradeable to a team with cap room, his salary is lower now. His NMC just means we have to ship him somewhere he wants (a contender with cap room...), with probably pucks coming back.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:08 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Briere's contract is VERY tradeable to a team with cap room, his salary is lower now. His NMC just means we have to ship him somewhere he wants (a contender with cap room...), with probably pucks coming back.
Easier said than done. He's divorced with children. His wife gets access to the kids. As per law, he needs to be within a radius of 100 miles of his wife. She's not inclined to go anywhere. The Flyers are with Briere for the rest of his contract. Besides, why would anyone want Briere gone? His influence in the locker room as well as helping guys like Giroux and Couturier adapt and thrive in Philadelphia can't be under estimated. There's a reason why Holmgren moved Richards and Carter last summer and kept Briere.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:16 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Easier said than done. He's divorced with children. His wife gets access to the kids. As per law, he needs to be within a radius of 100 miles of his wife. She's not inclined to go anywhere. The Flyers are with Briere for the rest of his contract. Besides, why would anyone want Briere gone? His influence in the locker room as well as helping guys like Giroux and Couturier adapt and thrive in Philadelphia can't be under estimated. There's a reason why Holmgren moved Richards and Carter last summer and kept Briere.
People want briere gone because he has been one of our worst forwards...and thats epic considering his point totals....if he was a +5 or so....but he's like a -5 with 13 pts for....that's flat out embarrassing.

And the kids don't have to move. DB can afford a nanny...if the franchise wants him gone...he will go...it's how bad does it have to get...

Old
05-07-2012, 03:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
DB can afford a nanny....
I don't get that impression considering he used free labor to watch over the Briere bunch from G and Couts....

Dude is evading taxes and exploiting french canadian free labor....

I think the Flyers should report him and it will be grounds to dismiss his NMC....

Old
05-07-2012, 03:42 PM
gdsmack267

I think us pens fans and flyer fans were shocked enough when philly traded hamhuis rights to Pittsburgh. That minor trade was shocking enough, Staal being moved to philly would cause HF to explode.

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Briere is a great guy, but his on ice leadership is lacking IMO. Briere is the worst contract next to Bryzgalov. He has a $6.5M cap hit to show up for only a few weeks a year and is one of the biggest liabilities in his own end. If you could free up his salary somehow (I know it is unlikely) it would go a long way to solving some of their defensive issues.

If we could dump Briere I might consider trading Schenn for Staal. Giroux, Staal, and Couturier would be sick down the middle.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:25 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
You clearly know as much about centres as you do about goaltenders.

aka nothing
I would classify him as the worst of the NHL Staal brothers, however Marc and Eric are pretty ****ing awesome. Jordan is very good, but I think the other two are better.

However, I agree with your statement.

05-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Why do you guys want Staal? You have Couturier, who seems like a future Staal-esque player.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote