HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 11:42 AM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I would personally punch Timmins and Bergevin in the nuts if they wasted those 2 picks on him. What a terrible idea. I'm all for trading up but not for a guy like Matteau. Maybe Hertl or Frk, but the depth is good enough in the 2nd to keep both.
OK awesome! I have seen both Frk and Matteau play live, Matteau is by far the better of the two right now, he has more strength, hockey sense as well as a better shot. I would take him over Frk any day of the week.

Frk is a player I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, he plays scared after he gets hit, he has the skills but doesn't seem to have the head, just makes me question his character and whether or not he will be able to handle the NHL, I'd take him in the 3rd of 4th if he was available but wouldn't waste a 2nd rounder on him let alone trade into the 1st round to get him haha.

Hertl I have only seen him play on tv, he has the size that we need, if we could trade into the 1st round I would take him, unfortunately I think he will be drafted between 20th and 25th and I think we could find the same kind of player with one of our 2nd round picks.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:45 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
We could likely get that with our 2nd in Samuelsson, if that is the case, nothing saying we couldn't use the NSH 2nd and our 3rd to move up in the 2nd. Maybe around 40, Matteau could still be on the board at that point, if not maybe Lukas Sutter.
The Habs 32nd pick(NJ forfeits their 1st)should be used to draft Cristoval Nieves if he's still available and the Nashville pick and our 63nd pick could get Lukas Sutter and Jordan Schmaltz.Assuming the Habs draft Grigorenko/Galchenyuk and the players named above the Habs draft would be a success and they will still have the 93nd and 153nd picks for gambling on say Jake McCabe and Max Iafrate two players that could have huge upsides.Three centers and three defencemen,unless Bergevin decides to upgrade the defence corps with Murray and/or Dumba giving the Habs the most promising defence corps in the NHL.Then UFA's or the 2013 draft would be for an upgrade in forwards and there are many good choices next year.

Last edited by S Bah: 05-07-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old
05-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
This morning Jack Todd wrote that Geoff Molson should consider hiring Jacques Lemaire. Now before this breaks into a Jack Todd debate, I'm just curious if Bergevin/Timmins were considering one of Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Murray or Dumba for the #3 pick, how much would a players ability to fit into Lemaire's(or any other coach) system determine the pick.

Grigorenko is one of the most offensively dynamic players in this year's draft but his defense has been questioned at times. Galchenyuk is a dynamic two way player who doesn't appear to have the offensive upside of Grigorenko. Do you take a system BPA or overall BPA who may not fit into the system?
Lemaire would be retired by the time the pick is 21 years old, so it should have zero impact if this pie-in-the-sky type scenario was to happen. Heck, he's already retired. He's not coming back to coach.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I would be willing to trade our 2 second round picks to get a late firs round pick to draft Stefan Matteau. This guy's gonna be a tough powerforward with a meanstreak in the futur.
I don't think he is worth using two picks on. If he is there at #33 then take him but otherwise wait for BPA.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The Habs 32nd pick(NJ forfeits their 1st)should be used to draft Cristoval Nieves if he's still available and the Nashville pick and our 62nd pick could get Lukas Sutter and Jordan Schmaltz.Assuming the Habs draft Grigorenko/Galchenyuk and the players named above the Habs draft would be a success and they will still have the 92nd and 152nd picks for gambling on say Jake McCabe and Max Iafrate two players that could have huge upsides.Three centers and three defencemen,unless Bergevin decides to upgrade the defence corps with Murray and/or Dumba giving the Habs the most promising defence corps in the NHL.Then UFA's or the 2013 draft would be for an upgrade in forwards and there are many good choices next year.
I think there will be a number of other options for the 32nd pick that will be just as good, if not better than Nieves.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:57 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I think there will be a number of other options for the 32nd pick that will be just as good, if not better than Nieves.
Colton Sissons is one of them. Also he is the captain of Kelowna Rockets.

We never had a prospect from Kelowna who was a captain.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:36 PM
WestIslander

The 2012 NHL mock draft was updated today from MYNHLDRAFT.com and it seems like Galchenyuk has moved up and we are drafting Grigorenko, I am confident that we will see:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

I am confident that we will see:

1) Edmonton - Ryan Murray
2) Columbus - Nail Yakupov
3) Montreal - Alex Galchenyuk
4) New York Islanders - Mikhael Grigorenko
5) Toronto - Filip Forsberg

Old
05-07-2012, 01:07 PM
odishabs

4) New York Islanders - Matt Dumba
5) Toronto - Mikhail Grigorenko

IMO

Old
05-07-2012, 01:24 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
1st: Galchenyuk
2nd: (A dropper out of the 1st round)
2nd: Nieves or Jankowski.
3rd: Devin Shore.
4th: Robbie Baillargeon (really like him so I snagged him with Ottawa in the 3rd round).

Old
05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
1st: Galchenyuk
2nd: (A dropper out of the 1st round)
2nd: Nieves or Jankowski.
3rd: Devin Shore.
4th: Robbie Baillargeon (really like him so I snagged him with Ottawa in the 3rd round).
Would really love to see us snag Ulf's kid, somehow. Would be such a great troll pick.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
05-07-2012, 01:57 PM
pine

vCash: 50
God I love 2nd round picks.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:01 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
i dont see any way in hell oils don't take yakupov. just for the simple fact that they can flip him for a guy better than murray right now and possibly also in the future. yakupov goes to edmonton, book it et cetera

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 05-07-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old
05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
poetryinmotion

I will be happy with just about everyone with our first pick, but I'm still hoping its Grigorenko D:

6'3.25 center that got compared to Malkin/Spezza..

Old
05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
The 2012 NHL mock draft was updated today from MYNHLDRAFT.com and it seems like Galchenyuk has moved up and we are drafting Grigorenko, I am confident that we will see:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

I am confident that we will see:

4) New York Islanders - Mikhael Grigorenko
5) Toronto - Filip Forsberg
LOL that is probably the worst I have seen yet. Passing on a potential super star, not trading down and taking a player likely to go at #4.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i dont see any way in hell oils don't take yakupov. just for the simple fact that they can flip him for a guy better than murray right now and possibly also in the future. yakupov goes to edmonton, book it et cetera
Agreed but if they do take Murray, I wouldn't be surprised if Yakupov falls to us.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
This. 1000%.

If EDM management doesn't understand the concept that the asset that is Yakupov > the asset that is Murray, they deserve to be fired.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Agreed but if they do take Murray, I wouldn't be surprised if Yakupov falls to us.
Agree, if they want a Nash replacement, Forsberg is the player to draft.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Would really love to see us snag Ulf's kid, somehow. Would be such a great troll pick.
If we pick Galchenyuk/Grigorenko, then Nieves and Samuelsson in the second round, I'll be ecstatic.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
rockjngo

This draft is so freaky hard to predict.

1. Yakupov
2. Forsberg/Murray/Grigorenko/Galchenyuk

The thing is I don't want the Laffs to pick anyone of these guys but they will end up with one of them because we beat the leafs in the final game.

I'm afraid to choose between Grigorenko and Galchenyuk as one of these guys may haunt us if we don't draft him.

Then there's Murray who's probably a perennial team Canada defenseman. Imagine him and Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gorges, and Emelin as our future defense group.

Then there's Forsberg who could be the best player in the draft with his size, skills, and speed.

Old
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Last year, they debated whether they would draft Larsson because they needed a #1 D. They didn't and I'm sure they don't regret picking RNH.

The difference is that they didn't have a #1 centre. And this year they have 2 top wingers. However, if I'm in their position, I'd still draft Yakupov.

Old
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
This. 1000%.

If EDM management doesn't understand the concept that the asset that is Yakupov > the asset that is Murray, they deserve to be fired.
The cap doesnt seem that big this year between the 1st overall pick and lets say the other top 6 prospects in this draft.. While Yakupov is clearly the most flashy of the bunch and probably the most highly skilled of all, Im not convinced he is the type of players who can fit in a structured defensive system like its the trend in the NHL.. Outside Philly, all teams still in contention for the cup are defense first minded teams, even the Caps changed their style of play under Hunter and guess what, Ovechkin is having a hard time to adjust to this new phylosophy.. Add to this Yakupov's latest concusion, the fact he is Russian and that the KHL is still a possibility if things dont turn like he wants and you get a draft with a ton of possibilities, thats at least the way I think things could turn out and I wouldnt be surprised if Yakupov is still on the board when we draft..

Old
05-07-2012, 03:43 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Last year, they debated whether they would draft Larsson because they needed a #1 D. They didn't and I'm sure they don't regret picking RNH.

The difference is that they didn't have a #1 centre. And this year they have 2 top wingers. However, if I'm in their position, I'd still draft Yakupov.
There is another difference too, there is no RHN Crosby Stamkos in this draft, no top end elite talent in this draft..

Old
05-07-2012, 03:45 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
There is another difference too, there is no RHN Crosby Stamkos in this draft, no top end elite talent in this draft..
You never know. Stamkos was supposed to be great, but he still took people by surprise when his development curve took a crazy upswing.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:48 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Imagine if he takes out Neely Jr

Old
05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Yakupov seems to be possibly as good as those, but don't mention Crosby in the discussion because he's an exception.

Closed Thread