HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Giroux suspended for one game

Old
05-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by questhockey View Post
Hard or soft hit in this instance, means nothing.
Zubrus was hit from side/behind directly to side of head. No way Zubrus saw him coming.I agree with alot that he wasn't hit hard. The point to all this years debates on head shots is...was the head the principle point of contact. Ovy's wasn't, Giroux's was.
Sorry, but Zubrus knew he was there. In fact, he tried to reach with his left arm to obstruct Giroux from going by him. He missed, which is why his head lurched forward and down. The ONLY reason Giroux hit his jaw at all was because he stuck it out. How Giroux can be accused of targetting his head is ridiculous. Those kind of 'catch up and cut the guys' hands off' checks are made 100s of times/game.

If Giroux gets suspended, it's a joke.

That the blind moron ref missed the blatant 'playing the puck in the trapezoid' penalty right in front of him is the only reason we're having this discussion.

The Flyers should have been starting the 3rd period on the PP instead of the PK, if not for the incompetence of the officials.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

He made clear contact with the head, can't really argue that. I am definitely fine with a hearing because it's the right thing to do. I don't think it was a suspension worthy headshot, though. If anything I think he'll get a $2500 fine.

I know Giroux was annoyed by a non-call on him that should have been called 15 seconds earlier. It once again shows the refs not doing their job. They're supposed to know when to let them play and when to call a penalty. Getting a weak call sucks, but not calling something blatantly obvious just brings on frustration on the player being screwed over. Refs have to know how to control the game to prevent instances like this on Zubrus.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
If he goes on the ice for a handshake which I don't recall it ever being the case for injured players but could be wrong..I hope he doesn't wash his hands after going to the bathroom....
A classic move. Back in my little league days the last kid in line would always spit on his hand so the other team would get the wet handshake. Sportsmanship at its finest!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Wils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Sorry, but Zubrus knew he was there. In fact, he tried to reach with his left arm to obstruct Giroux from going by him. He missed, which is why his head lurched forward and down. The ONLY reason Giroux hit his jaw at all was because he stuck it out. How Giroux can be accused of targetting his head is ridiculous. Those kind of 'catch up and cut the guys' hands off' checks are made 100s of times/game.
If Giroux gets suspended, it's a joke.

That the blind moron ref missed the blatant 'playing the puck in the trapezoid' penalty right in front of him is the only reason we're having this discussion.

The Flyers should have been starting the 3rd period on the PP instead of the PK, if not for the incompetence of the officials.

This, just saw the video in slo-mo and this is exactly what happened.

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Not trying to justify things but...based on past treatment of "star" players:

Weber = $2500 fine
Ovi = no hearing
Malkin (2 elbows) = no hearing

I bet Giroux gets the fine.
This is likely the case... though you never know with the inconsistency of suspensions.

G should just say he was bracing himself for the collision...

IMO... he should probably get 1 game, as much as it pains me to say, in view of the actual rules and how they SHOULD be interpreted,with the aim of eliminating headshots, though there is a contention that Zubrus moved just before the hit... but to be honest, with the amount of inconsistency, who the hell knows how the rules should be interpreted!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
how can anyone justify what Giroux did last night is beyond me. Some people are seriously grasping at straws.
It was a dumb, stupid uncalled for hit. Giroux was mad at the refs and lost his focus. he needs to be better then that. finish out the period and cool down in the lockerroom.
I like Giroux a lot but he was stupid in that whole sequence.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:31 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
how can anyone justify what Giroux did last night is beyond me. Some people are seriously grasping at straws.
It was a dumb, stupid uncalled for hit. Giroux was mad at the refs and lost his focus. he needs to be better then that. finish out the period and cool down in the lockerroom.
I like Giroux a lot but he was stupid in that whole sequence.
Agreed.

Some, nay, most people are COMPLETELY incapable of any objectivity.

As I wrote in a blog post on a related note (note: "you" is not GFH but a generic "you"):
For the sake of my never-ending battle for objectivity…I’d like for you to imagine for a second, how you would react if you saw Sidney Crosby pointing and screaming at the refs like that.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
…I’d like for you to imagine for a second, how you would react if you saw Sidney Crosby pointing and screaming at the refs like that.
Polarizing example but a bit of a false equivalency. G is not a serial whiner like Crosby. Understand your point..don't agree with it.

Having said this..G lost his cool and wasn't smart with his reaction.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Agreed.

Some, nay, most people are COMPLETELY incapable of any objectivity.

As I wrote in a blog post on a related note (note: "you" is not GFH but a generic "you"):
For the sake of my never-ending battle for objectivity…I’d like for you to imagine for a second, how you would react if you saw Sidney Crosby pointing and screaming at the refs like that.
Oh I think Giroux absolutely made a bonehead play and took a stupid penalty while making himself look like ass. I just don't think it deserves a suspension. He let the team down and took a penalty at what really was a critical juncture in the game. His temper got the better of him and it cost the team valuable even strength minutes in the third period. But still, not suspension worthy.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
TheLegendkiller

Yeah...I almost couldn't believe it when I saw the hit at first. Completely a bad move out of frustration.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:41 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Slight update

Quote:
Rich Chere ‏ @Ledger_NJDevils

Ruling on Giroux will likely be made late this afternoon

WTH takes so long is beyond me if this went down at 11am?

Honestly, as a Devils fan, I DONT want his suspended. He's been pretty ineffective this series and mostly held in check (I think he's a -3 or -4 or something). If anything, this could give the Flyers a "stick together" emotional boost and Team Focus to their game.

That, and I'm a huge believer in the "Patrick Ewing Theory". Like how out of 11 games this playoffs, the Devils' best game was the one game without Ilya Kovalchuk. The PET is proven science.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:45 PM
thelos
Bunk

League will look like huge hypocrites when Giroux is suspended (with no history) while Malkin got away with multiple similar headshots against us in the fiorst round

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:48 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
League will look like huge hypocrites when Giroux is suspended (with no history) while Malkin got away with multiple similar headshots against us in the fiorst round
Well considering the following:

Shea Weber - 2500 fine
James Neal - no suspension for hit on Coots, Torres - 25 games for a very similar hit
Ovi - no hearing for charging hit
Malkin (2 elbows, one very blatent) - no hearing at all

The system is completely inconsistent and flawed as it is so who knows what will happen.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:07 PM
FlyersMania2

Most reporters are speculating that G will be suspended 1 game... not that that matters. We will see though.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:09 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Most reporters are speculating that G will be suspended 1 game... not that that matters. We will see though.
only kevin Paul Dupont is at this point, and he covers the Bruins. So whatever.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:09 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Yeah I don't follow him on twitter...

Old
05-07-2012, 01:11 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Not really. The league could argue that considering the hits kept coming that they needed to be stricter than earlier in the playoffs to get the point across. They just argue they were too lenient on the previous plays and that'll be that.

Keep in mind I'm not disagreeing, I'd love some consistency. Just stating a fact.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Everyone keeps saying it was retaliation for Giroux getting hit moments before, but in his post game Giroux says it was something about Volchenkov hitting Simmonds in the face.. So I think it was Giroux saying "Well refs if you're not going to cal that, I'll just make a hard hit too".. Kinda dumb to play referee but that's a different debate

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:30 PM
qwertysac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Everyone keeps saying it was retaliation for Giroux getting hit moments before, but in his post game Giroux says it was something about Volchenkov hitting Simmonds in the face.. So I think it was Giroux saying "Well refs if you're not going to cal that, I'll just make a hard hit too".. Kinda dumb to play referee but that's a different debate
Actually everybody is reporting it was because bordeur played the puck in the trapezoid. Which would make more sense. Did Grioux really say that?

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Ryker

It's still better for Giroux to be suspended / fined fairly, rather than be "consistent" in letting guys go for hits to the head. Of course it sucks that the Pens didn't get what they deserve and that Weber walked away with no suspension, but if by any chance they have come to their senses and want to actually dole out punishment in a fair manner, then this is as good a chance to start doing that as any.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
The TSN panel last night said the same and Doug MacLean said it on Hockey Central at noon. Nobody is saying it's fair considering what others haven't been suspended for but I think it will be a game as well.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:34 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
It's still better for Giroux to be suspended / fined fairly, rather than be "consistent" in letting guys go for hits to the head. Of course it sucks that the Pens didn't get what they deserve and that Weber walked away with no suspension, but if by any chance they have come to their senses and want to actually dole out punishment in a fair manner, then this is as good a chance to start doing that as any.
Exactly. Let's see if a) he's suspended and b) if he is, if they give similar punishments to other stars.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:38 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Zubrus should be suspended for faking it..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Same with his wife....Crosby

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:40 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
ya, i dont think he was hurt at all

it's sad how soccer-like the NHL has become

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote