HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 12:57 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
Marc Staal - Left
Michael Del Zotto - Left
Tim Erixon - Left
Ryan McDonagh - Left
Dan Girardi - Right
Stu Bickel - Right
Michael Sauer - Right
Anton Strålman - Right
Justin Schultz - Right

personally i feel like mcd will have a lot more synergy with schultz than mdz will, and mcd deserves top 4 minutes. staal/schultz might even work.

schultz is the top college(wcha?) defenseman 2 years in a row if i'm not mistaken. he skates as fast as(possibly faster than) mcdonagh, similar defensive game(albeit judging by college), but his offensive game is as developed as(if not more developed than) erixon's.

erixon's a great prospect, but playing on that side kind of screws him. I can't see him getting a permanent spot unforeseeing injury unless we trade staal/mcdonagh/del zotto, and he's too good to be a depth guy. he hasn't adjusted to physical play, and his defense isn't top notch(but it's been improving).

personally i'd rather trade mdz(high value after this season) and keep erixon in the regular 6, but who knows what happens.

either way we're counting our chickens before we hatch. schultz is 2 months from being available, and we don't have any proof that he will be.

i really just hope sauer is fine by next season. he had a bright future.

hell, if sauer's fine and we get schultz i'd not be adverse to keeping erixon and looking to get as much as we can for mdz (maybe a high pick)

girardi/staal
sauer/mcdonagh
schultz/erixon

:O

also-- no... most sources don't rate erixon higher than schultz
Mooskating, we had a discussion on this subject matter (left vs. right handed pairings around the league) over the summer. Someone posted statistics for the top 6 defensemen for all 30 teams. Very few teams had an equal number of left vs. right-handed defensemen (3/3). Quite a few of the teams didn't have any right handed-defensemen (Philly being one of the teams that year in question), and a good portion of the teams only had 1 or 2 right-handed d-men. So that would suggest that we shouldn't place too much emphasis on the issues as it relates to our pairings. Even though it's not preferential, players have proven to be able to learn to play the opposite side effectively. Practice makes perfect. : ) We have some very smart and versatile defensemen in our roster, I'm confident in them to be able to make the adjustment if need be.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Mooskating, we had a discussion on this subject matter (left vs. right handed pairings around the league) over the summer. Someone posted statistics for the top 6 defensemen for all 30 teams. Very few teams had an equal number of left vs. right-handed defensemen (3/3). Quite a few of the teams didn't have any right handed-defensemen (Philly being one of the teams that year in question), and a good portion of the teams only had 1 or 2 right-handed d-men. So that would suggest that we shouldn't place too much emphasis on the issues as it relates to our pairings. Even though it's not preferential, players have proven to be able to learn to play the opposite side effectively. Practice makes perfect. : ) We have some very smart and versatile defensemen in our roster, I'm confident in them to be able to make the adjustment if need be.
i don't argue that they CAN make the change and be somewhat effective, but if they're close in terms of potential, then logically you would take the naturally right-handed defenseman over the equally (or close to equally) skilled lefty defenseman.

and i'm sure if you offer any one of those teams an equally-skilled right-hand man to play that position, then the chances are all(most) of them would say yes. the problem is that the right-handed defenseman just don't seem to exist.

erixon and schultz are probably close (though schultz seems to have more potential as of now). if it's a matter of schultz playing his natural wing and erixon or del zotto playing their unnatural side. i'm pretty confident that schultz would have my vote.

we have the depth. we might as well use it.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:25 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
i don't argue that they CAN make the change and be somewhat effective, but if they're close in terms of potential, then logically you would take the naturally right-handed defenseman over the equally (or close to equally) skilled lefty defenseman.

and i'm sure if you offer any one of those teams an equally-skilled right-hand man to play that position, then the chances are all(most) of them would say yes. the problem is that the right-handed defenseman just don't seem to exist.

erixon and schultz are probably close (though schultz seems to have more potential as of now). if it's a matter of schultz playing his natural wing and erixon or del zotto playing their unnatural side. i'm pretty confident that schultz would have my vote.

we have the depth. we might as well use it.
I'm just saying that we should keep an open mind when trying to speculate about prospective d-pairings in the future. Cap implications aside, I don't want to see us part ways with any particular defensemen merely for the reason that we have "too many lefties", you get what I'm saying. I do see the value in potentially moving assets to improve the team, but time and time again we have seen that those types of preferential deals are few & far between in the league.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Noonan25

I think Erixon will be paired with sauer next year... Lefty right tandem

I do see rangers signing Schultz...

MDZ does have the most value, but defense depth is so important

Old
05-03-2012, 12:59 PM
bernmeister

Just quickly checking in....
anything new on prognosis?

Yeah, I realize this is wait til next year at best, but do we have any rough ballpark basis to guesstimate he'll do a Staal and be ready to give it a shot what, middle, end of next year?

Thanks for responses.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Just quickly checking in....
anything new on prognosis?

Yeah, I realize this is wait til next year at best, but do we have any rough ballpark basis to guesstimate he'll do a Staal and be ready to give it a shot what, middle, end of next year?

Thanks for responses.
nothing. hes obviously been shut down till next year at the earliest.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jim Cerny and John Giannone answered a question about Sauer in their Blueshirts United chat today. Sauer is in terrible shape. Cerny said Sauer can't attend games because of PCS. He can't begin workouts again until he is symptom free which he isn't close to being symptom free. Sauer said lights bothered when he first suffered the concussion. The Rangers can't count on him for next season. It will be a bonus if Sauer is able to return sometime next season.

January 17

Quote:
Sauer said his symptoms included: nausea, headaches, bed spins (he described it as the feeling you get on a roller coaster), loss of memory and a propensity toward being forgetful, an inability to focus his vision properly and an aversion to bright lights. Sauer said this was his second concussion - the first being a long time ago and only sidelining him for about 10 days.

“Every concussion can be different,” Sauer said when he consulted with Staal on the recovery process. “You’ve got to listen to your head. If you’re not feeling good or if you’re not seeing something, it’s a symptom.

“The headaches were the most common but I had blurred vision right away after the hit but the similarity was always the headaches. I just felt like I was spinning. I’d get into bed and get nauseous. I felt like I was doing somersaults but I was standing still.

“I have to take it one day at a time but I know it’ll continually get better. I know that it’s going to get better.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...eminger_skate/

Sauer was shutdown after making those comments. He skated again and didn't feel well again.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:39 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

He hit the back of his head on a dasher at full speed. Really sad. Forget hockey. I just hope he gets his life back.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Crease

Really unfortuante and scary. Hope he gets his health back. Must be a nightmare to go through on a day-by-day basis.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:46 PM
gmerger37

Sounds like he's going to have to hold out hope that he can even regain the ability to live a normal day-to-day life.

Really sad. I hope he can get back to 100% eventually. No one should be forced to suffer due to playing a game they love.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:48 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Frightening. All the best to Mike. Hopefully he can get his health back and get back to being a stalwart on the blueline. He's fought through so many injury issues, he deserves a chance to be healthy and play the game he loves.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
egelband

how sad. i really like sauer. i hope he can make it back. it was a really unfortunate play. i just re-watched it. the announcers sounded like they both jizzed all over the booth.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

**** you Phaneuf. don't care if it was a "clean hit."

Old
05-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Riverdale

I don't see him coming back next year. Horrible really...Wish him the absolute best, and hoping for a miracle that he can play Hockey again

Old
05-07-2012, 04:25 PM
NYRKING30

i had a bad feeling the moment i watched that hit. getting your head clocked 2x once by the glass and once by the edge of the boards falling backwards. not good. get better mike!

note to rangers: Please properly tighten your helmet chin strap!

Old
05-07-2012, 04:25 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
**** you Phaneuf. don't care if it was a "clean hit."
it was 'clean' only according to the letter of the law. but, for me, it was another example of disrespect for a fellow pro. a guy seeing a chance to get away with hurting someone. probably not even suspension-worthy, but it leaves a bad taste.
it's like, when someone stupidly opens their door into traffic. do you hit it (after all, it was his fault) or give the guy a break and stop. (not the best analogy, i know). yep, sauer had his head down. and he was fair game, since the puck was closeby. but here we are. there are probably 15-20 players in the league who play like that.
it's almost impossible to stop this kind of thing...it's just a matter of having respect for your fellow professionals.
i do think the blindside charges - like what neil did to boyle or what wolski did to alfredsson - can be eliminated with stricter discipline. but this play was so weird...phanuef had the puck right up until the hit...he didn't target sauer from a long way away and charge him. there's really no way to quantify it in order to make a rule against it. can't really suspend a guy for having no soul.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:34 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
it was 'clean' only according to the letter of the law. but, for me, it was another example of disrespect for a fellow pro. a guy seeing a chance to get away with hurting someone. probably not even suspension-worthy, but it leaves a bad taste.
it's like, when someone stupidly opens their door into traffic. do you hit it (after all, it was his fault) or give the guy a break and stop. (not the best analogy, i know). yep, sauer had his head down. and he was fair game, since the puck was closeby. but here we are. there are probably 15-20 players in the league who play like that.
it's almost impossible to stop this kind of thing...it's just a matter of having respect for your fellow professionals.
i do think the blindside charges - like what neil did to boyle or what wolski did to alfredsson - can be eliminated with stricter discipline. but this play was so weird...phanuef had the puck right up until the hit...he didn't target sauer from a long way away and charge him. there's really no way to quantify it in order to make a rule against it. can't really suspend a guy for having no soul.
The Canadian broadcast of the play with the announcers laughing and whooping it up on the replay of that hit made me sick. Like they openly enjoyed it as if Sauer was such a big bad guy that went around hurting people. Disgusting.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:36 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

One can only hope Phaneuf gets a kidney stone the size of a dime.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:51 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcloud View Post
The Canadian broadcast of the play with the announcers laughing and whooping it up on the replay of that hit made me sick. Like they openly enjoyed it as if Sauer was such a big bad guy that went around hurting people. Disgusting.
totally. they were saying sauer was 'admiring' his play. what? first of all, what were they watching? he just missed the puck and got lit up. but, really, even if he were 'admiring' his play, does that mean he deserves to be injured? which is the implication...'hahaha you got yours for being such a ham'...wtf?!
bush league. don cherry wouldnt even go there!

Old
05-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcloud View Post
Yeah. What a F'in Jack A$$ that color guy is. Every time I watch that replay, I appreciate Sam & Joe more. If you contrast the way the leafs broadcaster crowed about Sauer getting wiped out to how Sam & Joe handle similar situations the Leafs guys really wind up in the minus column.

Sam and Joe always express a concern for the player. Even when that player may have had it coming. The Orr vs Fedoruk fight is a good example. Fedoruk had taken some liberties with Rangers players and Orr certainly evened the score, but Sam and Joe immediately expressed concern for the hockey player and that he would be OK.

At this point, all you can hope for is that Sauer will be able to have a normal life.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Yeah. What a F'in Jack A$$ that color guy is. Every time I watch that replay, I appreciate Sam & Joe more. If you contrast the way the leafs broadcaster crowed about Sauer getting wiped out to how Sam & Joe handle similar situations the Leafs guys really wind up in the minus column.

Sam and Joe always express a concern for the player. Even when that player may have had it coming. The Orr vs Fedoruk fight is a good example. Fedoruk had taken some liberties with Rangers players and Orr certainly evened the score, but Sam and Joe immediately expressed concern for the hockey player and that he would be OK.

At this point, all you can hope for is that Sauer will be able to have a normal life.
Yes! Those two are an example of what broadcasters should be like.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:05 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
totally. they were saying sauer was 'admiring' his play. what? first of all, what were they watching? he just missed the puck and got lit up. but, really, even if he were 'admiring' his play, does that mean he deserves to be injured? which is the implication...'hahaha you got yours for being such a ham'...wtf?!
bush league. don cherry wouldnt even go there!
They got way too much enjoyment out of it. Very unprofessional.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Terrible news really. I dunno why everyone includes Schultz in our plans for next year but if we were to get him he's likely not going to be on the opening day roster. Torts likes to give his players ample time to assimilate to the system and the system in place right now is that Schoenfeld thoroughly prepares his players to mimic the big club's style in a less pressured environment.

I don't think Sauer is coming back to begin the season next year, I wouldn't even count him in mid-way. Earliest I see him returning is in March and that's being generous as this might actually be the end of his career. I know some are dramatic on this board but with the recent discussion of player safety and lingering problems after multiple head injuries (Junior Seau) I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers being extra careful with Sauer (possibly shutting him down for all of next year too if there is no visible improvement by Nov-Dec).

Therefore, with near certainty that Sauer won't be back by the beginning of next year, and with near certainty that if we were to sign Schultz he would begin the season for our minor league affiliate, I believe we will resign Stralman, and I would look at our defense looking like this to start the season:

McD-Girardi
Staal-MDZ
Erixon-Stralman

Figure Stralman as our odd man out. He'll be on a tight leash. If he falters look for him to be traded out when they believe Schultz is ready. I would even argue that if Schultz impresses Sauer will also be traded.

If we don't sign Schultz, and Sauer can not play for next year, expect Stralman to get the same treatment he is getting this year, having a lot of attention given to him by the coaching staff after every game to help him improve.

Edit: Also, wouldn't be surprised to see MDZ shift down to the 3rd pairing if Erixon bulks up by next season. He's more defensively sound than MDZ, so that wouldn't surprise me either.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
i had a bad feeling the moment i watched that hit. getting your head clocked 2x once by the glass and once by the edge of the boards falling backwards. not good. get better mike!

note to rangers: Please properly tighten your helmet chin strap!
Sauer said his chin strap broke from the force of the hit.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

i completely missed that feed...

these announcers are such a ****ing disgrace. they should've been fined and immediate removed from the network. you see a guy get his bell rung laying on the ice CLEARLY suffering a head injury and you're going to sit there ****ing laughing? give me a break. that is a disgrace. i don't care if you're a five year old playing your first game. if you see a kid on the ground in pain you shut the **** up and hope he's alright. that's human instinct. these guys are absolutely ****ing scum. hope the best for sauer, but my god what a ****ing joke.

show some ****ing respect... even showing poppa phaneuf smiling was disgraceful. celebrating like they just won the cup. have fun not making the playoffs again next year.

Closed Thread