HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

ECSF Discussion: (5) Philadelphia Flyers vs (6) New Jersey Devils - Devils Win 4-1

Old
05-07-2012, 01:02 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
I wish. The problem I see is similar to the problem the Pens faced. Their team when talking to the media never seemed to have an answer - it was along the lines of what we say now.

For some reason we are playing uninspired hockey. The only good sign I saw yesterday was Lilja putting the puck in the zone high off the glass.

You dump and chase (as we are doing) - rush into the zone, Brodeur plays the puck back out and everyone has to scramble back.

Unless we change a number of things (which we didnt seem to do after game 2), I think we are done. I dont want us to be and I hope I am wrong but we will see.
Buzzkill man But yeah that's true, the team kinda looked dead post game, but really, the only thing that's counting us out is that we aren't playing up to our standard, we're getting worked out by the Devils but there's also absolutely no to little effort from our guys. Someone mentioned earlier that Solid Structure + Hardwork > Talent. We've got the talent, the players need to tighten things up, and we need to work hard. Combine that together and you've got a winning team.

The only thing the players need to do is avoid getting frustrated. Right now they should focus on winning tomorrow. Focus on the game one shift at a time, one period at a time and after it one game at a time. Force a game 6 and then take it from there. If we win tomorrow that will shift the momentum to us.

Really all it takes is hard work and some effort, and we can win this.

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:04 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
So you're claiming that the Devils are clutching and grabbing, but the Flyers are not clutching and grabbing? Really? Have you watched any of the games? That department is pretty even with both teams being guilty.

And taken in total, if one team can ***** more about the refs in this series over the other one, it's certainly the Devils. Hell, Game 3 doesn't even make it to overtime if not for the refs. What a turning point that would have been if the Flyers scored on one of the gift powerplays late-3rd and in OT.

As for the bolded part above. What multiple rules exploits are you referring to?
The Flyers would actually prefer to play an open game with less obstruction, as their game relies on speed through all three zones. So no, they haven't been trying to bring the whole clutch and grab thing back. The Devils are a big team that relies on body positioning to work in their favor, but at times it's looked like pre-lockout hockey. The amount of obstruction when the Flyers are on the forecheck has been infuriating at times, because that was what the league was supposedly trying to get rid of. The Flyers need to move their feet more, but it's tough to generate anything on the forecheck when the forwards are being screened off the play by the retrieving defenseman's partner.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:07 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
every team does that in the 3rd period tho. I am not going to make an issue of how NJ is clamping down the nuetral zone in the 3rd period.

I really hope Laviolette let this team have it after the game. They lost thier focus by getting mad at the refs. Our best players need to be better then that. You are already getting your ***** kicked on the ice, it doesnt help when you lose your mental focus on trying to beat NJ instead of screaming at the refs.
When you dont have the puck and when you are getting dominated on the ice you cant expect to get the calls. if you dont have the puck you generally arent going to get many PP chances.
Agreed. They're letting what happened to the Pens happen to them. They've completely lost the mental edge that they had coming into this series. They need to get back to the basics. Don't like all the obstruction? Then move your feet and it'll be called. That's the way you get them stop doing it. ******** to the refs only tells the Devils that you have completely given up on actually doing something about beating them.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:08 PM
FlyersMania2

On a side note, it does seem doubtful that Mez will be back BUT if he did come back, he should replace Carle.

I know this will NEVER happen but if performance is any indicator, should be Carle. He's dreadful.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Don't like all the obstruction? Then move your feet and it'll be called. That's the way you get them stop doing it. ******** to the refs only tells the Devils that you have completely given up on actually doing something about beating them.
This is true.....they need to not just concede and fight through it. I just think they are emotionally and physically spent. They are capable but the mind and body isn't operating on all cylinders....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

quick question to flyers fans,

Why are tickets for Tuesday's game so cheap? http://www.stubhub.com/philadelphia-...-2012-4032117/

Are those tickets always under $50? Are they really bad seats or something?

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:16 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
This is true.....they need to not just concede and fight through it. I just think they are emotionally and physically spent. They are capable but the mind and body isn't operating on all cylinders....
Well, the Pittsburgh series was one of the most intense series I've ever seen. Many people here questioned whether the winner of that series would be able actually bring it for three more series after that one. Plus, you're looking at let down series as well. They played an emotional uptempo series against their rival, and now you're playing a team that wants to slow down the game as much as possible and stay away from anything physical that could give the Flyers a spark.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:18 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
quick question to flyers fans,

Why are tickets for Tuesday's game so cheap? http://www.stubhub.com/philadelphia-...-2012-4032117/

Are those tickets always under $50? Are they really bad seats or something?

No... just lack of faith and demand by the fanbase considering how comatose the Flyers have looked since the 1st game of the series. Lots of fans have been lamenting how they feel ripped off by attending the games..whether in Philly or NJ.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Well, the Pittsburgh series was one of the most intense series I've ever seen. Many people here questioned whether the winner of that series would be able actually bring it for three more series after that one. Plus, you're looking at let down series as well. They played an emotional uptempo series against their rival, and now you're playing a team that wants to slow down the game as much as possible and stay away from anything physical that could give the Flyers a spark.
Agree...that series was an ECF series played in the 1st round. Reminded me of the Toronto war of attrition.....when JR was on the team. We were key in destroying Toronto's chances at a cup but destroyed ourselves in the process. I doubt Pitt will suffer the same fate as Toronto as far as not making the playoffs for so long..but one can only hope so that we can have some consolation.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:11 PM
FlyersMania2

Probably should have had practice today to do some line juggling just in case.

I hope Coots moves up to first line center.

I also expect Hartnell and Jags to be extremely motivated now.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:42 PM
AaronTrieu

If they can get passed the next game, i really like the flyers odds. A determined giroux coming back for game 6.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Xegiie

flyers mentally down without all injured and giroux out? not sure if i wanna watch last game

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:03 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Hopefully losing Giroux will spark them. Gotta stay optimistic I guess

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:04 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
flyers mentally down without all injured and giroux out? not sure if i wanna watch last game
You should, Devils are due some ass kicking

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:43 PM
bennysflyers16

I am off to vegas tommorow and will catch game(s) there. I get home Saturday and here is hoping that I have a GDT to post in. Hopefully team rallies around this suspension and then come roaring back !

If not, was a hell of a year posting here again .

GO FLYERS !!!!!

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Anyone else think that with Giroux gone for the next game, that it may create a scenario that will really force Lavy to adapt and possibly win one?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Anyone else think that with Giroux gone for the next game, that it may create a scenario that will really force Lavy to adapt and possibly win one?
No....his replacement will just be told to dump the puck HARDER....

Quote:
Even Laviolette admitted that while the scores suggest the series is tight, in two of games, including Sunday’s 4-2 loss in Game 4, New Jersey dominated every aspect of play. The Flyers success all season has been their ability to generate offense off the attack and score off the forecheck.

There has been almost no forecheck whatsoever in the last three games. That’s because Marty Brodeur often gets to the puck first – because of bad placement by the Flyers – and because the Devils’ defense plays farther back, getting an edge on dump-ins.

If the Flyers have any hope to claw back into this series, which could end on Tuesday, they need to establish their forecheck. Fail to do that in Game 5 and the season ends.

“Without getting into it, because I don't want to, I've already stated a few times that they're quicker,” Laviolette said of the forecheck issues.

“They're quicker in certain areas. We’ve gotta pick up our speed and our competitiveness in certain areas.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...728&feedID=704

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 05-07-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old
05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Amateur Hour

Not that this matters at all, but back in 2000, the Devils won the first game of the series, then the Flyers won the next three before, as we know, the Devils won three in a row to break our hearts. Let's hope for a similar unfolding of events this time around.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:44 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Not that this matters at all, but back in 2000, the Devils won the first game of the series, then the Flyers won the next three before, as we know, the Devils won three in a row to break our hearts. Let's hope for a similar unfolding of events this time around.
That series haunted the Flyers until 2004 when they finally beat them in the first round that year. It was made worse that the Devils won it all that year, but that series was just an epic collapse, and the end of the Lindros era here.

They're going to need huge efforts from the vets like Briere, Hartnell, Jagr, and Timonen if this series is going to continue. Hopefully the Giroux suspension serves as a rallying call for the team to start doing things the right way.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Top Cheese Danish

It seems like the Rangers have a horseshoe shoved up their collective derriere, so maybe it's better we combust now than be embarrassed 10 times in a row.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote