HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates

Old
05-07-2012, 02:52 PM
sauce9397

vCash: 500
Skates

So it's time for me to get some new skates. I really wanted to get X60 (on clearance), but they don't have my size. Are there any skates comparable to the X60, top notch skates for a decent price? I don't want to spend $600+ for skates (I play DII Club Hockey and am on the ice 4-5 times a week during the season so I think I probably need pretty good skates)

sauce9397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Saucy Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce9397 View Post
So it's time for me to get some new skates. I really wanted to get X60 (on clearance), but they don't have my size. Are there any skates comparable to the X60, top notch skates for a decent price? I don't want to spend $600+ for skates (I play DII Club Hockey and am on the ice 4-5 times a week during the season so I think I probably need pretty good skates)
Hate to tell you, but the motto, you pay to play is going to be evident for you. With the quality of hockey in which you play, and how often you are on the ice on a weekly basis, you will def be looking to want to buy an upper range skate ($475-$600) due to the fact that you will be beating the **** out of your skates day in and day out, as well as if you are playing ACHA D2 Hockey, its semi-competitive which means your skates are going to need to be able to handle the abuse. You might be able to get away with some Vapor x6.0 (which are basicly similar to the X50) but if your on them as much as you say you are, they will be beat/toast by seasons end or only last you a 1.5 seasons. Though skates do depend on size an weight too (not just player skating ability), so if your not a big guy (6'+ 200lbs+) you might just be able to get away with a mid range boot as you don't put as much stress on the side walls and support areas of the boot. Honestly though if your not die hard set on the Vapor line, I would look @ the Bauer One.8's there a tad cheaper, and IMHO a better boot (durability wise as well as feel). Granted there a tad heaver then a Vapor skate, I think It would last you longer (and the difference in weight won't blow you away). There is ebay too, so you might want to look there as well, as you can find some great deals on closeout skates from vendors who are trying to just push out some of their back stock.

Last edited by Saucy Dangles: 05-07-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:30 PM
donkers*

Might want to look into skate fenders too. I hear all the cool kids are wearing them these days.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:52 PM
AIREAYE

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1099867

Bottom line, get what fits you the best in your price range. If you fit well into Vapors and you know this then look for Vapors. Nothing beats heading to a store to try on skates. Saucy Dangles is right though, you obviously need high end skates. Skate Fenders are pretty neat, some don't like the bulk but it works pretty well if you block shots on a regular basis.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote