HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group S • May 6 • Russia 4, Norway 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Iamok
#Panic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Leader? I guess you haven't seen Gonchar playing for some time? The only thing keeping him in the NHL is his deal. Ask anyone on Ottawa's board, what they think of Gonchar. He is pretty much done.
Might want to re-think that. He's had a pretty good year and really stepped up in the playoffs.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Leader? I guess you haven't seen Gonchar playing for some time? The only thing keeping him in the NHL is his deal. Ask anyone on Ottawa's board, what they think of Gonchar. He is pretty much done.
That's a false assessment. Gonchar was one of Ottawas most reliable defensemen all season.

It was a great bounce back season for him.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:19 AM
bigbadbruins7

didnt read through the board but any one who watched how did volden look in net? 4 goals against a team with datsyuk, malkin and kuznetsov isnt to shabby?

Old
05-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Parise9Crosby87

wheres the highlights

Old
05-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
I agree that they probably will be more fired up mentally. But when you first start doing bad habits in play, they can stick. It would be better for the whole confidence of the team if they know their defence were sturdy. Now that insecurity will be there latently for a game against Sweden.
Of course its better to play well and with intensity consistently. Even though Russia has a lot of players that are either in their first WC, or are at least inexperienced at this level, they do have some good talent and the potential to see their performance improve. Unlike teams the last few years, expectations won't be high for this team, which takes a bit of the pressure off. I hope they will have worked out some of the defensive issues by this weekend. After all, defense is Coach Bill's specialty.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:21 PM
russianhockey

All goals from this match

Old
05-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Of course its better to play well and with intensity consistently. Even though Russia has a lot of players that are either in their first WC, or are at least inexperienced at this level, they do have some good talent and the potential to see their performance improve. Unlike teams the last few years, expectations won't be high for this team, which takes a bit of the pressure off. I hope they will have worked out some of the defensive issues by this weekend. After all, defense is Coach Bill's specialty.
Bill, I think, is the best coach for our NT. Sure- it ain't always pretty, but getting this Russian generation to play Defense at an Elite level is Extremely difficult. If anyone is capable, it's him- no question. Thankfully, offensevily we can make some concessions and with our offensive talents shouldn't struggle to much from it.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Bill, I think, is the best coach for our NT. Sure- it ain't always pretty, but getting this Russian generation to play Defense at an Elite level is Extremely difficult. If anyone is capable, it's him- no question. Thankfully, offensevily we can make some concessions and with our offensive talents shouldn't struggle to much from it.
Along with Valeriy Vasiliev (rest in peace), Coach Bill was one of the best defensive defensemen in the World during the era of 1976-1987. He was an outstanding skater with great speed, but also a tremendous open-ice hip checker. He has a defensive mentality that is much needed. I can see a few "projects" among the group he has this year, but I have faith that he can handle the job.

Closed Thread