HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Because he is supposed to be our franchise goaltender who fixes the issues we had in the past.
umm, OK:

goaltending was 'our issue from the past'

Quote:
I've also never once claimed he's the reason we are down.

so, Bryz isn't the issue.

but he hasn't solved the goaltending issue from the past.

only in Bash-A-Delphia, I tell ya' .... only in Bash-A-Delphia

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 05-08-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old
05-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
umm, OK:

goaltending was 'our issue from the past'

so, Bryz isn't the issue.

but he hasn't solved the goaltending issue from the past.

only in Bash-A-Delphia, I tell ya' .... only in Bash-A-Delphia

You are totally and completely unbelievable. Are you actually serious? This is important, because if you aren't I won't waste any more time typing words at you. It's already clear that you aren't interested in reading them with any sort of critical thinking processes.

It is totally and completely possible for Bryz to not fix the goaltending issues, to be inconsistent, to not be good enough to win a Cup, and STILL not be the reason a team lost a series. He wasn't the reason they won the last series, and he isn't the reason they're losing this one. These things are not mutually exclusive. I don't know how you can think they are.

05-07-2012, 04:10 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
I don't know how anybody can watch him this postseason and think "Yes, this is good and acceptable. This sort of performance for the next 8 years would bring us success at some point." Or whatever it is they think.
And I could ask you the exact opposite.

From my standpoint...I don't know how to reasonably expect better of him.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
And I could ask you the exact opposite.

From my standpoint...I don't know how to reasonably expect better of him.
Well, the Pitt series was a debacle from him. He's been better overall in this series but still inconsistent, allowing weak goals when he shouldn't.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:17 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Well, the Pitt series was a debacle from him. He's been better overall in this series but still inconsistent, allowing weak goals when he shouldn't.
First 4 games of pit series? I thought he was much better in 5 and 6.

And, as I said, there is some subjectivity here. I think he gave up one softie, game 1 goal 3. Everything else, I can't fault him specifically on the attempt. The results overall have sucked...

You think there are more softies than this, no?

Old
05-07-2012, 04:18 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Yeah you lost me. He wasn't the main reason for either of those games. Not even close.
Huh?

GM 1 should have been a Philly blowout but he gets caught out of the crease for a goal and let a horrid fake slapper to wrister beat him five hole.

GM 3 is self explanatory. The very first pressure he received the entire OT, he ended up folding like a lawn chair.

Not sure how you can't point the finger at him for those examples.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:26 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post

GM 3 is self explanatory. The very first pressure he received the entire OT, he ended up folding like a lawn chair.
Makes the first save from a hard shot from 15 ft out and the rebound goes right to the path of the shooter who rather skillfully is able to tip it up and over. I don't remember if it even hit the ice.

Giroux goal last night wasn't much different, and probably worse...as it just trickles into Marty.

Not to mention our offense had controlled 70% of overtime and failed on 2 pps.

I don't remember the other goal in game 1.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Andre Poodle Lussier

Quote:
Huh?

GM 1 should have been a Philly blowout but he gets caught out of the crease for a goal and let a horrid fake slapper to wrister beat him five hole.

Not sure how you can't point the finger at him for those examples.
Was this the same Game 1 where Bryz played out of his a-- in the first period and basically allowed the Flyers to even begin to comeback in the 2nd? That "should have been" blowout? The one where they were flat for 20 minutes and getting booed off the ice at the end of the 1st period?

Old
05-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Because he is supposed to be our franchise goaltender who fixes the issues we had in the past. He hasn't looked anything like that, and if he continues playing as he has this postseason for the duration of his contract then this team will have no better success in the playoffs than they had before he was brought in. If anything they will have a worse time of it, because they will have less cap money to use on depth.

So, that concerns me a lot.
that perfectly sums up the entire BRYZ debate in a single paragraph..

well said sir.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Poodle Lussier View Post
Was this the same Game 1 where Bryz played out of his a-- in the first period and basically allowed the Flyers to even begin to comeback in the 2nd? That "should have been" blowout? The one where they were flat for 20 minutes and getting booed off the ice at the end of the 1st period?
Your post will get ignored. too much for 2 guys to deal with at once.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:32 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
ill give you credit Beef..

all season long and into the PO's and ur still beating your head against the wall with him...

His name is Fish now, get with it.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:38 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
His name is Fish now, get with it.
Better than Pink Slime I suppose....

Old
05-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Better than Pink Slime I suppose....
Only the finest meats will suffice.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Andre Poodle Lussier

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Your post will get ignored. too much for 2 guys to deal with at once.
To be fair, Bryz does deserve at least *some* blame but I think various folks who rail against Bryz and place the majority of blame at him think he has to stop everything thrown at him. He has struggled at times, especially early this year and in Games 1-4 against Pittsburgh, but without him I don't think we are competitive in Games 2-4 of this series and darn well may not have won Game 1 given how badly they played in the first period.

Has Bryz's play justified the big contract? He probably isn't a $5 mil per year goalie but is he an upgrade over Boosh and Leighton? Absolutely.

The Flyers were (I believe) in the bottom third in giveaway/takeaway last year as a team...their giveaways weren't high but they don't create turnovers very well (6th worse in takeaways). There are definite areas to improve next year...and yeah, Bryz can certainly squeeze his legs tighter more quickly to keep the five hole closed...or improve his reflexes a bit...he had some real bad moments out there...but in this series he is probably one of the better players for the team.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:30 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Regardless of what happens the rest of this playoffs, I am very excited to see a season of Bryzgalov, fully focused, with a potentially revamped defensive corps.

05-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Flyrs21

Quote:
Bryz has def. lost us GM 3 and tried to lose GM 1 for us.

I won't say he is the main reason we are down 3-1 but I do feel he is a part of it.

Your probably the same guy that yells for the defenseman to "shoooooooot" the puck on the power play when there is no screen in front of the goalie.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:35 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post

Your probably the same guy that yells for the defenseman to "shoooooooot" the puck on the power play when there is no screen in front of the goalie.

He's not a Bryz fan, that is for sure.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Tim Tebow

I expect more from Bryz next season. I would like him to play at a much higher level, with that being said he didn't ruin the regular season and they still survived the 1st round with his struggles. If the Flyers lose to the Devils it will likely fall on the skaters at least as of now.

Somehow the Devils went from the 27th ranked team in shots to averaging the same amount of shots as the #1 ranked team which was Pittsburgh haha.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:20 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
But like I said, what exactly is that worth if you just piss away the following 40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post

Considering our current predicament of kind of not getting shots on net....lolz

Old
05-07-2012, 10:37 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
Yep that's the same one, where we should have been down 3-0 going into the 1st intermission...except that one guy, with the pads. Oh wait, nvm he's the scapegoat.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:22 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
OK, then we both agree on this. Bryz is not the reason we are losing.

curious why you are criticizing him so much, if he's not the reason we are losing.
here is the deal that many of us are trying to say.

1. He isnt the main reason why we are losing in this series.

2. He has been inconsistant at times this series.

3. He was brought in to be the franchise goalie. He needs to step up and play like one on a more consitant basis.

4. Maybe the comparisons to Boucher or even Leighon are a bit of a stretch, but the guy has not lived up to his end of the bargin overall in these playoffs.

5. I think we will all agree hes not getting much help in front of him at times this series, game 4 aside he let in one soft/stoppable goal in each game at least.

6. I cant speak for everyone, but I dont hate Bryzgalov. i want him to do well. I really do, but for most of us on this board(probably 99 percent of us) his play this season has really frustrated many of us. I gave him major props for his work in game 4. He was awesome. Now you cant expect him to be that good every night. That would be asking a lot of any goalie, but I dont think its asking much to make the saves you are supposed to make on a consistant basis.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:36 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
here is the deal that many of us are trying to say.

1. He isnt the main reason why we are losing in this series.

2. He has been inconsistant at times this series.

3. He was brought in to be the franchise goalie. He needs to step up and play like one on a more consitant basis.

4. Maybe the comparisons to Boucher or even Leighon are a bit of a stretch, but the guy has not lived up to his end of the bargin overall in these playoffs.

5. I think we will all agree hes not getting much help in front of him at times this series, game 4 aside he let in one soft/stoppable goal in each game at least.

6. I cant speak for everyone, but I dont hate Bryzgalov. i want him to do well. I really do, but for most of us on this board(probably 99 percent of us) his play this season has really frustrated many of us. I gave him major props for his work in game 4. He was awesome. Now you cant expect him to be that good every night. That would be asking a lot of any goalie, but I dont think its asking much to make the saves you are supposed to make on a consistant basis.
I agree with all of these, but the thing still is that he's overpaid. It won't change. He'll never justify his pay. Some people will realize this and move on, and focus on other, fixable issues. Others will crucify Bryz until he plays up to a $51 million dollar level...which will last 9 years, and drive the rest of us nuts.

The organization decided to cross a VERY expensive bridge that it can't go back on. They DO NEED to build the system around him. As selfish and terrible as that sounds, that's how he plays his best. The onus is on the organization for not realizing this over the summer...not realizing that his greatness was a product of a system, and that he's not athletic enough (side-to-side) to account for an aggressive defense's mistakes, and too fragile minded to deal with a couple bad games/goals.

Snider and Holmgren chose to make him the highest paid player on the team (and the league ), now they need to bite the bullet and mold the system around their investment.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:54 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I agree with all of these, but the thing still is that he's overpaid. It won't change. He'll never justify his pay. Some people will realize this and move on, and focus on other, fixable issues. Others will crucify Bryz until he plays up to a $51 million dollar level...which will last 9 years, and drive the rest of us nuts.

The organization decided to cross a VERY expensive bridge that it can't go back on. They DO NEED to build the system around him. As selfish and terrible as that sounds, that's how he plays his best. The onus is on the organization for not realizing this over the summer...not realizing that his greatness was a product of a system, and that he's not athletic enough (side-to-side) to account for an aggressive defense's mistakes, and too fragile minded to deal with a couple bad games/goals.

Snider and Holmgren chose to make him the highest paid player on the team (and the league ), now they need to bite the bullet and mold the system around their investment.
i know hes overpaid, and I dont hold that against him because he would of been dumb to not sign that contract given to him by Holmgren/Snider.
I am not so sure its the system so much as its the type of players in front of him. The Flyers have traded away some pretty damn good defensive minded forwards in the last couple of seasons and they put a lot of pressure on many players who are either young and inexperienced or just havent learned how to play on the defensive side of the puck yet.
I do think we are going have to add some size up the middle because this team is pretty small at center. I dont have any answers on who to go out and get, but I feel its needed.
I do agree to a point that chances need to happen to this roster. i think many of us knew that the team was going to be weaker defensively as a unit up front , but there was hope that the defense would make up for the defiencies.
Of course no one could of predicted what happened to Pronger, so there is nothing you can do there. the Pronger injury affected this team in so many ways. It put more pressure on guys like Mez, Timonen and Carle and we saw the results. one got hurt, one wore down consiterably this season and Carle well, I dont think we dont need to go down that road.
Once key defenseman started going down it put pressure on the forwards to do things they werent used to doing and some of them stuggled defensively.
I would dare to say some unpopular decisions are going to be made this offseason. We all know Holmgren isnt afraid to make big moves.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:16 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
i know hes overpaid, and I dont hold that against him because he would of been dumb to not sign that contract given to him by Holmgren/Snider.
I am not so sure its the system so much as its the type of players in front of him. The Flyers have traded away some pretty damn good defensive minded forwards in the last couple of seasons and they put a lot of pressure on many players who are either young and inexperienced or just havent learned how to play on the defensive side of the puck yet.
I do think we are going have to add some size up the middle because this team is pretty small at center. I dont have any answers on who to go out and get, but I feel its needed.
I do agree to a point that chances need to happen to this roster. i think many of us knew that the team was going to be weaker defensively as a unit up front , but there was hope that the defense would make up for the defiencies.
Of course no one could of predicted what happened to Pronger, so there is nothing you can do there. the Pronger injury affected this team in so many ways. It put more pressure on guys like Mez, Timonen and Carle and we saw the results. one got hurt, one wore down consiterably this season and Carle well, I dont think we dont need to go down that road.
Once key defenseman started going down it put pressure on the forwards to do things they werent used to doing and some of them stuggled defensively.
I would dare to say some unpopular decisions are going to be made this offseason. We all know Holmgren isnt afraid to make big moves.
I can't see too many drastic moves this offseason. Perhaps Gaustad, Stoll, Konopka or someone similar. Schenn and Couturier will fill in to very good sized Centers. And in defense to those two as well, I've never seen Crosby and Malkin shut down by a Flyers team to that extent. I will agree that Richards, Gagne, Carter, and co were better, more consistent defensively...but they did a hell of a job against PIT. I think Read, Voracek, and Wellwood have all been pretty impressive defensively as well.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:55 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I can't see too many drastic moves this offseason. Perhaps Gaustad, Stoll, Konopka or someone similar. Schenn and Couturier will fill in to very good sized Centers. And in defense to those two as well, I've never seen Crosby and Malkin shut down by a Flyers team to that extent. I will agree that Richards, Gagne, Carter, and co were better, more consistent defensively...but they did a hell of a job against PIT. I think Read, Voracek, and Wellwood have all been pretty impressive defensively as well.
dont think there will be many major moves on the trade front. Not sure what gets done to fix the defense. Tough to say if they trade someone like JVR or try and dip into free agency but something needs to be done. Timonen cant carry the load anymore. Coburn can step up and maybe Grossman. Mez and that back could be a concern going forward with that back there is no telling what his back will be like long term.
As far as adding a bottom 6 guy, I am not a fan of Konopka. Gaustad would be a solid guy to have on the bottom 6. Not sure Stoll is a good fit here or not.
Couturier and Schenn definitely need to bulk up in the offseason.

Closed Thread