HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

HF Team Board Mock Draft - 2nd Overall

View Poll Results: Who do you want Columbus to select 2nd overall?
Mikhail Grigorenko 4 4.40%
Ryan Murray 45 49.45%
Alex Galchenyuk 27 29.67%
Filip Forsberg 12 13.19%
Matt Dumba 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Xoggz22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
btw...anybody considering the possibility that Howson trades the pick for a veteran point scorer to replace NASH and save his job?
No. I don't foresee any scenario that would have him trade the pick for immediate help. I think the likelihood that Nash ISN'T traded is higher than trading NASH and moving the pick to replace him. Just my opinion though.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Smallz

Probably going to stop this sometime tonight so if you haven't voted yet make sure you do vote before then

Old
05-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
Think they said during Us - Canada game, Paul Kariya. I'm not discounting accomplishment, but also think that Edmonton used this as opportunity to get a hands on with Murray. @ ludicrous speed- Did you read the story above, mentioning actual Nhl team scouts saying that Murray's stock was falling in some of the scouts eyes ?
Kariya was 18, but he'd also finished up his first year of college, so it wasn't entirely comparable. I do remember that he left Maine to join the Canadian National Team; basically, a player would join on, and they'd play a full schedule of games that culminated in the Olympics. The national team was a sort of refuge for guys who weren't playing pro in North America but didn't want to play in Europe. Afterthought or late-developing prospects might use it as a showcase to catch on somewhere, and there were a few college prospects.

Petr Nedved and Chris Kontos were on the team that year; both of them were in the middle of extended holdouts from their NHL teams. Kariya and Brett Lindros were top prospects who were using it as a showcase, although Kariya had already been drafted and Lindros hadn't been.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:07 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
No. I don't foresee any scenario that would have him trade the pick for immediate help. I think the likelihood that Nash ISN'T traded is higher than trading NASH and moving the pick to replace him. Just my opinion though.
Okay, but put yourself in Howson's shoes.
If you produce another CLUNKER SEASON, you're gone.
So WHY would he care about the team's long term that much?

I wouldn't be surprised if it traded the pick for immediate offensive help or a goalie, in preparation for unloading Nash to get a goalie or offensive help.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if it traded the pick for immediate offensive help or a goalie, in preparation for unloading Nash to get a goalie or offensive help.
For one, if he ever wanted another job in the NHL or even the AHL he would have to explain his actions. I'm sure it could happen but I don't see any team offering a young impact player for the #2 pick which, to me, inevitably leads to going further down the rabbit hole.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
For one, if he ever wanted another job in the NHL or even the AHL he would have to explain his actions. I'm sure it could happen but I don't see any team offering a young impact player for the #2 pick which, to me, inevitably leads to going further down the rabbit hole.
I'm not suggesting he would look for a "young" impact player.
If I'm Howson, I'm looking for players that can save this franchise next year, and my job. It's as simple as that, unless he really thinks his job is safe.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Vindication, and the desire to actually end up employed again.

Two years, the Portland Trail Blazers decided to fire Kevin Pritchard as their GM. They told him this before the draft, but had him go ahead and draft anyway.

Old
05-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
I'm not suggesting he would look for a "young" impact player.
If I'm Howson, I'm looking for players that can save this franchise next year, and my job. It's as simple as that, unless he really thinks his job is safe.
This is where Craig Patrick steps in in my opinion. Without CP there was no check and balance and having only Priest and Mac Jr. to go to ideas with certainly would allow this to potentially occur. However, I just have a hard time seeing how this would be the case.

Didn't Howson try to "save the franchise" with moves last year. At the time most people were all in on his moves and they didn't work. He wasn't fired and made moves to look towards the future rather than find other instant fixes. I guess I look at what's happened and think that if we're moving Vermette and Carter (specifically) why wouldn't have have tipped his hand to save his job then? Why wouldn't he have moved Nash for "the next thing"? What has changed on the last 3 months that would lead to concern about this?

I understand the concern but the signs just don't seem to be there and, for me, it simply doesn't seem realistic to think this would happen.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:31 PM
hip check
Go North.

Right now I have the feeling Nash will go to San Jose or Toronto. Should Nash go to the Leafs, the #5 has to be involved. If that was the case, I would definitely pick up Galchenyuk at #2, then one of Murray, Dumba, Rielly, or Trouba at #5. I like that a lot better than picking Murray #5, then hoping that Galchenyuk or Forsberg is still there (or picking up an additional defenseman.)

Old
05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
alphafox

Quote:

Not to be overly litigious or anything, but Howson really can't do this. Howson is an agent of the Blue Jackets and has to act in the best interest of the team. Now one can argue if mortgaging the future for success right now is in the best interest of the team, but taking actions just to save his job would be at least a breach of his contract.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:55 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Not to be overly litigious or anything, but Howson really can't do this. Howson is an agent of the Blue Jackets and has to act in the best interest of the team. Now one can argue if mortgaging the future for success right now is in the best interest of the team, but taking actions just to save his job would be at least a breach of his contract.
"Litigious" ? hahaha... is this Capn?

I appreciate your opinion of Howson's character and hope you're right.
However...he's human.
That, and the fact that the INACTION he's taken was also a breach of contract, IMO.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:56 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Good luck with that line of thinking.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:54 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
A different slant on this would be that part of saving Howson's job, maybe the biggest part, is building the future. I would guess that this is weighed more heavily than some of you are assuming. After all, if saving his job was only related to current results, he would've been fired quite some time ago.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

OP has made Murray the CBJ pick based on voting in this poll (see link I added to OP to track, if you're interested). We don't need two draft threads. Closing this one and moving some of this discussion to the ongoing draft thread.

Closed Thread