HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tallon says the blueprint is right on track

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2012, 06:06 PM
  #51
angry_treefrog
Moderator
#CatsAreComing
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 7,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I'm not saying your wrong. It's just Versteeg is streaky. I think Weiss and Flash could put up even bigger numbers with the right player.
Versteeg is "streaky" because he spent half the season skating around with a torn hip labrum.

You won't find a better bang for the buck in free agency... and that's not saying that Versteeg will be a bargain signing.

__________________




angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 06:38 PM
  #52
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Or, it could mean that he's not sure Marky will play in the NHL next season, so plenty of time. I don't believe he has made up his mind yet. Nor should he have. A lot of things can change by July and then camp.

But I'll let you and AG do the between the lines reading for me. I just write what I think would be good for us, I don't read through Tallons comments that much. Not my cup of tea. Like my own thoughts better. So, I'll let you guys do that, and I enjoy reading your take on these. However, like AG said, sometimes you see what you want to see.
That cuts both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Players like Versteeg are valuable, but definitely not irreplaceable. If we can't find anyone better, than of coarse we have to bring him back, probably at a rediculous price. But Garrison is definitely more important than him IMO.
The thing is, are we realistically going to find a better scorer in free agency for the same money? No, so we have to re-sign Versteeg. If we were the Hawks or Flyers, we could afford to be more cavalier with our approach to Versteeg, but we're not. We need his offense. Tallon seems like he's pretty sure he'll re-sign both Versteeg and Garrison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I'm not saying your wrong. It's just Versteeg is streaky. I think Weiss and Flash could put up even bigger numbers with the right player.
Flash is streakier. It's amazing how he gets a pass here and Versteeg gets so much hate. Flash is the definition of a floater. I think he just gets a pass because when he scores, he scores in huge bunches.

I agree with ATF also that now that it's known what was wrong with Versteeg I think we should appreciate that a little more. I never really questioned Versteeg's effort too much. I thought after about 1/4 season he started thinking he was too cool for school and started trying to deke through the whole opposing team and making lots of bad decisions. The injury may have also played a big part in his decline in the 2nd half. If he can get back to the way he was playing in the first couple months, he'll be a very big asset to us once again. He was our best forward without question in Oct. and Nov.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:38 PM
  #53
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing
 
CanadianPantherFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,898
vCash: 500
Kuli and Steeg need to stay. I don't get how people forget how important they are to this team. Steeg stays because we lack offensively skilled top six forwards...cut and dry.

Kuli stays because he has all world skill, and still growing into his position and body. What if Campbell loses a step or two in next couple years and Garrison is not what he was this year. Kuli and Guds are the present AND the future on the backend.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:42 PM
  #54
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing
 
CanadianPantherFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Players like Versteeg are valuable, but definitely not irreplaceable. If we can't find anyone better, than of coarse we have to bring him back, probably at a rediculous price. But Garrison is definitely more important than him IMO.
Totally disagree with that remark. Steeg is more proven, and this team is starved for offense. The #1 complaint bar none in GDT's the past two seasons is that we can't score. Don't expect Garrison to repeat those numbers next season on the PP.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:55 AM
  #55
Tuco
Registered User
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
That cuts both ways.
Haha, yes it does MR, yes it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Flash is streakier. It's amazing how he gets a pass here and Versteeg gets so much hate. Flash is the definition of a floater. I think he just gets a pass because when he scores, he scores in huge bunches.
Agree 100%.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:56 AM
  #56
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
I just want to say that I think it's ridiculous that not re-signing Versteeg has even become a conversational topic around here. I swear to god.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:31 AM
  #57
Laus723
#CatsAreComing
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I just want to say that I think it's ridiculous that not re-signing Versteeg has even become a conversational topic around here. I swear to god.
Because? (think I know why, just wanna see if I'm right)

__________________
Future now!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:31 AM
  #58
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Because? (think I know why, just wanna see if I'm right)
Because he put up 54 points in 71 games and is 26 years old. On a team starved for offense. That's why.

He had a few down performances and seemed a little streaky at times and some people are a hair shy from calling for him to be cut loose. Same thing with Kulikov. He's one of the best defensemen under the age of 24 and has an enormous future ahead of him. But he had a bad playoff series and now there are calls for him to be dangled as trade bait. It's absurd.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:47 AM
  #59
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
We had the number one pick each of those years that Dudley traded away for options and whatnot, and received number three, after making sure he would get the player he wanted at #3. So both Bouw and Horton were essentially number one picks. Horton was one of the best, but not a clear-cut number one. My point was we were desperate for a power forward, and chose Horton based on that need. Never said I wasn't happy with the choice, just that I think this was the decisive motivation for the choice.
Not to stray too far from the main topic of conversation but like I said before, I do remember Horton being in the conversation for first overall. Even if we kept the first overall pick, we never would have taken Fleury since we had just picked up a 24(?) year old Roberto Luongo. After that, it's 50/50 between Horton and Staal. Your initial argument that we drafted based on need is simply erroneous.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:48 AM
  #60
Laus723
#CatsAreComing
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Because he put up 54 points in 71 games and is 26 years old. On a team starved for offense. That's why.

He had a few down performances and seemed a little streaky at times and some people are a hair shy from calling for him to be cut loose. Same thing with Kulikov. He's one of the best defensemen under the age of 24 and has an enormous future ahead of him. But he had a bad playoff series and now there are calls for him to be dangled as trade bait. It's absurd.
Yeah, I was right, and I agree. Steeger is streaky, but he's a very good player who also played through an injury. I'm very happy he's here, and I believe he'll be around so long as Tallon wants him to be.

I really like Kuli, think he's a great young D man, but I wouldn't be opposed to moving him an elite forward. Don't expect that, so I expect him to be here next season.

Think the D should be:
Soup-Garrison
Kuli-Guds
Jovo(rather keep Weaver, but we all know Jovo is going nowhere)-Strachan

Weaver is a very steady defenseman, and I think the D will look similar to last season. Wish we could get Erik away from Jovo though. Would love to have him with Soup all season, but Garrison is the better option because of how Campbell can set up his cannon. Erik has a big shot, too, though.

Yes, I expect Garrison to be back next season.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:15 PM
  #61
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 27,257
vCash: 50000
IMO nobody has said here that they don't want Steeg back.

But, what has been said is that DT likes to overpay "his guys", and we're scared that happens to Steeg.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:31 PM
  #62
Laus723
#CatsAreComing
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
IMO nobody has said here that they don't want Steeg back.

But, what has been said is that DT likes to overpay "his guys", and we're scared that happens to Steeg.
Tallon has learned, IMO, and we're a limited cap team. I'd guess he gets around 4, don't think it's too far off. Of course I rather less, but he's worth about that

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:06 PM
  #63
Tuco
Registered User
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Not to stray too far from the main topic of conversation but like I said before, I do remember Horton being in the conversation for first overall. Even if we kept the first overall pick, we never would have taken Fleury since we had just picked up a 24(?) year old Roberto Luongo. After that, it's 50/50 between Horton and Staal. Your initial argument that we drafted based on need is simply erroneous.
As you say not really worth it to discuss this any further, but I stand by my initial argument: we had a huge graving for a power forward, further evidenced by the fact that we drafted another one, Anthony Stewart, at 25 in the same draft and everybody was saying it was Keenan who made Dudley pick those two. Don't know about that, but we definately targeted for, and got, power forwards in the first round. PFs were hot at the time in the league in general, I admit that, so it wasn't just us.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:19 PM
  #64
PanthersAllDay1225
MORDE-KULI
 
PanthersAllDay1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah, I was right, and I agree. Steeger is streaky, but he's a very good player who also played through an injury. I'm very happy he's here, and I believe he'll be around so long as Tallon wants him to be.

I really like Kuli, think he's a great young D man, but I wouldn't be opposed to moving him an elite forward. Don't expect that, so I expect him to be here next season.

Think the D should be:
Soup-Garrison
Kuli-Guds
Jovo(rather keep Weaver, but we all know Jovo is going nowhere)-Strachan

Weaver is a very steady defenseman, and I think the D will look similar to last season. Wish we could get Erik away from Jovo though. Would love to have him with Soup all season, but Garrison is the better option because of how Campbell can set up his cannon. Erik has a big shot, too, though.

Yes, I expect Garrison to be back next season.

agreed, id like to see him paired with Kuli and maybe a 3rd shutdown pairing of weaver and jovo. 2 veteran older guys together, and you get guds with PMD like Kuli with the ability to open up space for guds to let the slapper go and become more of a weapon.

PanthersAllDay1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:16 PM
  #65
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,254
vCash: 500
Didn't think this needed its own thread. Quick blurb from Lebrun.

Quote:
Garrison talks

Contract talks between the Florida Panthers and UFA-to-be Jason Garrison will resume this week, at which point the defenseman can expect an offer from the team.

Garrison exploded for a career-high 16 goals this season while earning $700,000.

"We’re going to start the process this week, we’re going to talk and see where it goes," Panthers GM Dale Tallon told ESPN.com Monday. "I talked to his agent at the combine last week and said I hoped we could get together this week and see if we could get something done."

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.