HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Philadelphia Model?

Old
05-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Let's talk now about the L.A. model...
I really like that L.A. Team. Unlike the Philly Model, they have a goalie & one in Bernier they will be able to trade to even make the team better! They hit hard! I respect that & not dirty like Boston, all clean...tough!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:54 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
I really like that L.A. Team. Unlike the Philly Model, they have a goalie & one in Bernier they will be able to trade to even make the team better! They hit hard! I respect that & not dirty like Boston, all clean...tough!
Darryl Sutter is a terrific coach. He really turned that team around.

He plateaued out as GM, though. Back where he belongs I think.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:59 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Philly, Boston, LA all have the same models...they have a lot of forward depth especially at center. I don't know why it's so hard for people to realize that secondary scoring and center depth is extremely important. Yes, goaltending is as well, and all 3 of these teams have tried to address the goaltending situation. It just so happens that Philly's goalie is underperforming.

There's a reason why some Hab fans have complained for years about the lack of depth at center.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post

Some proof that not everyone is a camera guy. He obviously knows how to connect with people. I admit it! I was surprised, now I think they are a shoe in to the final, Glendale or Nashville doesn't really matter.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:20 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Some proof that not everyone is a camera guy. He obviously knows how to connect with people. I admit it! I was surprised, now I think they are a shoe in to the final, Glendale or Nashville doesn't really matter.
I'm in Calgary and used to work for the Flames, so I've followed them more closely than any team but the Habs.

Sutter is a little goofy looking, and has that slushy molasses way of speaking, that makes him appear slow.

He is a very shrewd coach and a superb motivator. Not surprised at all the Kings are killing it.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
I'm in Calgary and used to work for the Flames, so I've followed them more closely than any team but the Habs.

Sutter is a little goofy looking, and has that slushy molasses way of speaking, that makes him appear slow.

He is a very shrewd coach and a superb motivator. Not surprised at all the Kings are killing it.
I've heard radio shows talk about the way he comes off, but heh! he isn't working for TSN! The levels he's reached, I know there's more to what the eye can see, or hear.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

How often do we hear people talk about the most recent cup winner and say ''Oh, they won because they copied the *insert previous cup winner* model!''.

We never do.

Lets win with the Montreal Canadiens model. Don't ask me what that is yet

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
How often do we hear people talk about the most recent cup winner and say ''Oh, they won because they copied the *insert previous cup winner* model!''.

We never do.

Nobody knows, but we do know that in the East to overcome Boston - Philly- NYR, we have to be a little bigger & we were always BIG in the past, Robinson bent boards when he hit men! That whole Detroit style idea was a bad one, Eastern Cities are in the War Zone.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:06 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post

We never do.

Sure we know. Montreal Canadiens '76 / '77 model.

Supremely tough team, big, fast superbly skilled D corps, dominant 1st line, great grit and scoring from lines 2,3,4 - iconic goalie, ultimate management and coaching.

The.Best.Team.Ever.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:18 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

I am loving his style of game. Aggressive on the forecheck and aggressive on defense along with speed on offense with short accurate tape to tape passing.

They look like the Red Wings teams of old.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:31 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I am loving his style of game. Aggressive on the forecheck and aggressive on defense along with speed on offense with short accurate tape to tape passing.

They look like the Red Wings teams of old.
Hehe. Howe old or Yzerman old?

Old
05-07-2012, 11:22 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Hehe. Howe old or Yzerman old?
Yzerman

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:15 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Philly, Boston, LA all have the same models...they have a lot of forward depth especially at center. I don't know why it's so hard for people to realize that secondary scoring and center depth is extremely important. Yes, goaltending is as well, and all 3 of these teams have tried to address the goaltending situation. It just so happens that Philly's goalie is underperforming.

There's a reason why some Hab fans have complained for years about the lack of depth at center.
Funny...I wouldn't call the Devils "deep at center".

Philly's problem for once is NOT goaltending at all (you're crazy if that's what you think). They have a super **** Defense corps. They're missing key elements (don't anyone ever tell you that injuries shouldn't matter, that's total bs). Even fully healthy, I don't think their D is anything to write home about past Timmonen (even Philly fans admit that Pronger hasn't been that much of a factor when healthy - him getting up in age and all).

The habs have reached 1 of the three milestones that I talked about in the past.

The next 2 are to hire the right coach, and to get us a #1 Center.

Our team is WAY better than the record showed. It's just one of those years.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:19 AM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post

Philly's problem for once is NOT goaltending at all (you're crazy if that's what you think). They have a super **** Defense corps. They're missing key elements (don't anyone ever tell you that injuries shouldn't matter, that's total bs). Even fully healthy, I don't think their D is anything to write home about past Timmonen (even Philly fans admit that Pronger hasn't been that much of a factor when healthy - him getting up in age and all).

The habs have reached 1 of the three milestones that I talked about in the past.

I agree and I think Bergevin agrees also. We have a great core to build around. We desperately need a #1 center (no offense to DD) a few more depth players (we had virtually no secondary scoring) and a couple of decent d-men until Beaulieu and Tinordi are ready for the show.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:22 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post

Did I mention the Devils? Yes, Philly's D is crap. What people forget is Philly is missing Pronger, Mezaros and Kubina. I don't get why people crap on Philly for assembling the current D when clearly their D is a patchwork right now.

Philly's D is not good, but neither is their goaltending. Is it the biggest issue this series? No. But just watch Bryz in the net..you don't think that affects his team? You really think Boston or LA's D is that good or are they a product of superior goaltending?

A D corps of Timonen, Pronger, Mezaros, Kubina, Coburn and Carle is pretty good, I'd say. Philly also has enough valuable assets they can trade to sure up that D over the summer. Depth is a beautiful thing.

I will agree that the Habs are better than their record showed last year....for sure. I think everyone knows that. They are missing some key pieces though. Need to get that top line center, rework the bottom 6, need to retool the D.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Did I mention the Devils? Yes, Philly's D is crap. What people forget is Philly is missing Pronger, Mezaros and Kubina. I don't get why people crap on Philly for assembling the current D when clearly their D is a patchwork right now.

Philly's D is not good, but neither is their goaltending. Is it the biggest issue this series? No. But just watch Bryz in the net..you don't think that affects his team? You really think Boston or LA's D is that good or are they a product of superior goaltending?

A D corps of Timonen, Pronger, Mezaros, Kubina, Coburn and Carle is pretty good, I'd say. Philly also has enough valuable assets they can trade to sure up that D over the summer. Depth is a beautiful thing.

I will agree that the Habs are better than their record showed last year....for sure. I think everyone knows that. They are missing some key pieces though. Need to get that top line center, rework the bottom 6, need to retool the D.
As I said last month, I'm sure everybody in Phillie knows Pronger is no longer Pronger, even if he wasn't out with a concussion. They added Grossman and extended his contract, mostly because they knew he probably wasn't coming back. He was still having concussion issues last month or March that I recall reading, so it's like Savard, not looking good. His body was already beat up before the head injuries. Timonen has also lost a step and is up there in age. They tried to get younger with Mezaros and carle but those guys are not #1-2 calibre.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Teufelsdreck

I'd say just get good players and then figure things out. It takes far longer to repopulate a team than it is to rearrange one's investments, so talk of a "model" seems flippant. Sam Pollack screwed things up for the Habs in the latter part of the 1970s with his poor drafting. It became easy for the Islanders to usurp the championships the Habs were accustomed to winning. If you don't believe me, look it up.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
I agree and I think Bergevin agrees also. We have a great core to build around. We desperately need a #1 center (no offense to DD) a few more depth players (we had virtually no secondary scoring) and a couple of decent d-men until Beaulieu and Tinordi are ready for the show.
the depth scoring issue should be resolved by having Gionta return and a better effort from Bourque (or someone else if a UFA is signed). If all we get is two 20 goal scores on the 2nd line, along with a repeat of the top line, we'd be absolutely fine.

Sign a veteran shutdown dman for a couple seasons to help bridge the gap until Beaulieu and Tinordi (and possibly many others) are ready.

Add in an improved PP and we'll look back on this season as the one that got us a blue chip forward.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
the depth scoring issue should be resolved by having Gionta return and a better effort from Bourque (or someone else if a UFA is signed). If all we get is two 20 goal scores on the 2nd line, along with a repeat of the top line, we'd be absolutely fine.

Sign a veteran shutdown dman for a couple seasons to help bridge the gap until Beaulieu and Tinordi (and possibly many others) are ready.

Add in an improved PP and we'll look back on this season as the one that got us a blue chip forward.
I think the best thing would be to have Gionta-Plekanec-UFA forward with Eller and a hungry/motivated Bourque on the 3rd line pushing to move up. If we can't get a big name, I think a guy like Penner or Stoll could be a good fit.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think the best thing would be to have Gionta-Plekanec-UFA forward with Eller and a hungry/motivated Bourque on the 3rd line pushing to move up. If we can't get a big name, I think a guy like Penner or Stoll could be a good fit.
Adding Penner or Stoll wouldn't be enough and there's a question about Bourque's hunger and motivation.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Adding Penner or Stoll wouldn't be enough and there's a question about Bourque's hunger and motivation.
I think both could add 50 points in a top 6 role.

He can't be too happy about his 2nd half. He didn't get to score 88 goals in 249 games in calagary by not caring and being unmotivated. Expecting him to produce on a 3rd line is not really expecting much from him anyways.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:13 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

so, the Philly model...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:33 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
so, the Philly model...
A young team made it to the 2nd round in spite of several key injuries.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:38 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
so, the Philly model...
37 years and counting.......

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
so, the Philly model...
model of a good team tanking for no reason? Check.

model in style of play? Can't see Habs fans wanting to see their team goon it up and use all around dirty play.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote