HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Pierre Dorion

Old
05-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
D isn't a major weakness future wise. Karlsson/Cowen aren't too shabby

We should probably look for a D in the first round this year, but we certainly aren't at a point where it's worth trading Z for a defencemen.

We're already struggling to get legitimate top 6 forwards.

Smeddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by umma gumma View Post
If we're going to trade Z it sure as hell won't be for reclamation project.
Dorion hinted that Ottawa would have taken a D if they had known they would be as set up at forward after the season as they are now.

To me, Ottawa has an excess of top 6 forward prospects with two of those players having serious top 3 potential in Stone and Silf and even a guy like Prince having top 2nd line potential in a Parise clone.

I think Ottawa should flip one of their forward prospects and to me the guy that gets you a great return is Zibby - Rundblad got us Turris and we won that trade - Zibby for Schenn to me would be another win for us.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Zorf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Dorion hinted that Ottawa would have taken a D if they had known they would be as set up at forward after the season as they are now.

To me, Ottawa has an excess of top 6 forward prospects with two of those players having serious top 3 potential in Stone and Silf and even a guy like Prince having top 2nd line potential in a Parise clone.

I think Ottawa should flip one of their forward prospects and to me the guy that gets you a great return is Zibby - Rundblad got us Turris and we won that trade - Zibby for Schenn to me would be another win for us.
I don't know about that. In my opinion Schenn really hasn't progressed in his (give or take) 3 years of NHL experience. He very quickly went from being the only untouchable guy on the roster to trade bait this past season. He also dropped to the 5,6,7 spot on one of the worst bluelines in the league.

Toronto can keep the loser. I think Zib could return more than that.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:

So then what exactly do we do in the event that Stone/Silf/Prince don't work out? None of those guys are the big, mobile guys that will torment the opposition's defence, like MZ, either.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

Ottawa and Toronto are never going to be trading partners.

More importantly, Ottawa isn't going to help Burke with his lack of size and skilled centers by gift wrapping Zibanejad.

Anyway, I listened to the interview and never did Dorion suggest or even hint that Zibby didn't fit in the Sens plans. All he said was had they known that Rundblad wasn't going to be here they MIGHT have drafted differently.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Minister of Offence

I'd bet on Zibby for Schenn being a bad deal for us.

Zibby has 1st line upside. I'd be shocked if Schenn was ever a 1st pairing Dman. Looks more like a good #4 to me....something we can find pretty easily by other means.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
So then what exactly do we do in the event that Stone/Silf/Prince don't work out? None of those guys are the big, mobile guys that will torment the opposition's defence, like MZ, either.
Finish last and draft first.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I'd bet on Zibby for Schenn being a bad deal for us.

Zibby has 1st line upside. I'd be shocked if Schenn was ever a 1st pairing Dman. Looks more like a good #4 to me....something we can find pretty easily by other means.
Totally agree.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Manny*

Anybody who's given up on Zibanejad already doesn't know a whole lot of anything.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Cowen Time

No such thing as to many top 6 forward PROSPECTS. At least half won't pan out as hoped, then you get into injuries, and it isn't to much.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Anybody who's given up on Zibanejad already doesn't know a whole lot of anything.
It's so weird because he hasn't done anything wrong.

I've seen several high end NHL type goals though with that shooting ability of his. And we all know that size and skating combo is great as well.

Hope no one told Mika it was Malkin or bust for him.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:43 PM
umma gumma

Quote:

If you want to trade Z fine, but come on, shoot a little higher than Schenn! I mean, the next best D available to Ottawa was Hamilton; do you really think Boston would trade him for Schenn? Do you think they'd trade him for Z??

umma gumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:49 PM
senators4life
TurrisRyanKarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.

The Sens management would never give up on our 6th Overall pick who is a character kid with NHL size who is also a powerful skater, has a good shot and soft hands.

He looked great in rookie camp and the main camp/pre-season last year. When the regular season came along he was playing to not make any mistakes which obviously limited his offense and creativity. Which led to him being sent back to Sweden.

Still LOVE that golden goal from the WJC. I can't wait to see him doing that on the regular in a Sens uniform although it could be a Baby Sens uniform for abit.

senators4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:02 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Bania View Post
The usual rhetoric about we will get at good player @ 15.

On his way to watch Culek in Q final. Sounds like they are going to sign him.

Interesting comment about last year's 6th overall pick. Had we known we would be moving Rundblad, we may have took a D (although they are still happy with Zbad).

Had 19 playes last year suit up with less than 71 games NHL experience.

Gave a real lukewarm response when asked if the org was going to qualify Filatov.

Touched on the D prospects that will be turning pro this year (Wideman, Blood), doesn't sound like any of our other NCAA guys will be leaving early.

This is why you draft BPA each time, because things change dramatically. Now I'm really bummed we didn't draft Hamilton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Dougie Hamilton definitely fills a bigger need than Zibanejad for our future now.
Certainly does. We have nothing in terms of d prospects. Boro and that's it. The rest are unlikely to become anything more then bottom pairing guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
Sounds like we will be picking a dman in the 1st round for sure.

I know that in the past Murray has said that if they have two players ranked exactly the same, they lean towards drafting a d-man since a top 4 d is harder to find...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Iamok
#Panic

We have 3 top 6 forwards and 2 top 4 defencemen. How exactly would Hamilton be a bigger need than MZ at this point in time? Sure, we have a bunch of prospects, but it doesn't mean anything until they actually make the jump successfully.

Even then, this series proved that we need a skilled shooter, a player who comes through in the clutch, and a player who raises hell on the forecheck. MZ is all of those things in 1.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
cleasson may be signed to and over in bingo
This is very good news. Kid could be a real good #3-4 some day, IMO.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:51 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
We have 3 top 6 forwards and 2 top 4 defencemen. How exactly would Hamilton be a bigger need than MZ at this point in time? Sure, we have a bunch of prospects, but it doesn't mean anything until they actually make the jump successfully.

Even then, this series proved that we need a skilled shooter, a player who comes through in the clutch, and a player who raises hell on the forecheck. MZ is all of those things in 1.
If Mika ends up being a top 6 guy, and Hamilton a top 4, I'd rather have a top 4 defenceman. They to me are harder to find and also more important imo...

I'm not even sure Zibanejad will be a top 6 guy. Really, really early, but at this exact moment I am seeing a very good 3rd liner in Mika with the ability to move into the top 6.

And I expect the hate to rain...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:10 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
If Mika ends up being a top 6 guy, and Hamilton a top 4, I'd rather have a top 4 defenceman. They to me are harder to find and also more important imo...

I'm not even sure Zibanejad will be a top 6 guy. Really, really early, but at this exact moment I am seeing a very good 3rd liner in Mika with the ability to move into the top 6.

I'm not going to rain down hate but my rebuttal would be: "take a look at Colin Greening". Guy had 17 goals this year by just being big and a good skater. His hands are hardly NHL calibre and he still managed it. Zibanejad's are from a different galaxy in comparison and he's going to have that same size/speed combo when he fills out.

In all honesty, Zibby has one of the best tool sets I've ever seen on a player his age. You can't teach the things he can do.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:14 PM
benjiv1

Quote:

I disagree 100% with everything you've said.

Unless the defensemen is going to be a #1 or #2, selecting a defensemen in the first round is a waste. They take longer to develop and a 3/4 defensemen are fairly easy to find.

I think Mika is much closer to having 1st line potential than being destined for the 3rd line. If Ottawa thought he was only going to be a third liner, I doubt they would have taken to him.

If I had to guess, Mika develops into similar player to Milan Michalek. (in terms of production and time to develop)

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I'm not going to rain down hate but my rebuttal would be: "take a look at Colin Greening". Guy had 17 goals this year by just being big and a good skater. His hands are hardly NHL calibre and he still managed it. Zibanejad's are from a different galaxy in comparison and he's going to have that same size/speed combo when he fills out.

In all honesty, Zibby has one of the best tool sets I've ever seen on a player his age. You can't teach the things he can do.
This 100%. We may have to kiss.

Last edited by benjiv1: 05-07-2012 at 11:23 PM.
benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post

Probably the most accurate way of putting it.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Manny*

We've been so spoiled lately with prospects exceeding expectations that people are actually disappointed with the season Zibanejad had.

Lets put things in perspective. Zibanejad registered 13 points in 26 games for an exact pace of 0.5 points per game. He finished with 6 points (4 goals) in 10 games during the relegation round. Not only did he battle with injuries, but the team he played for wasn't even fit for the Elite League.

Compare his post-draft season with others:

Jakob Silfverberg: 48GP / 8G - 8A - 16P (0.33 PPG)

Calle Jarnkrok: 49GP / 11G - 16A - 27P (0.55 PPG)

Johan Larsson: 43GP / 4G - 4A - 8P (0.18 PPG)

Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson: 49GP / 12G - 17A - 29P (0.59 PPG)

Ludvig Rensfeldt: 16GP / 0G - 1A - 1P (0.06 PPG)

Jacob Josefson: 43GP / 8G - 12 A - 20P (0.46 PPG)

Marcus Johansson: 42 GP / 10G - 10A - 20P (0.47 PPG)

His production this season was just fine, given the circumstances. He also excelled in the rookie tournament, the NHL preseason and the World Juniors. I don't know what people expected from him if they're disappointed with the year he's had.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

Certainly does. We have nothing in terms of d prospects. Boro and that's it. The rest are unlikely to become anything more then bottom pairing guys......
This made me chuckle, the Sens have two prospects that are 21 years old playing right now, one is a Norris candidate and the other has all the signs of being a real stud.

How quickly people forget.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:10 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

How many third liners in the NHL are 6'2 220, skate like him, and shoot like him? The answer is honestly, probably 0. He was described as the most dangerous shooter at the WJC as an 18 year old this year and I would guess the only guy with a more devastating one timer would have been Yakupov. Players with that type of ability rarely remain checkers as they age....especially when he's gonna be as big, and probably skate very much like Michalek.

Logic, not hate. Anything's possible, but it's a bad bet. He was almost kept to play this year and it probably would have been 3rd line.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
If I had to guess, Mika develops into similar player to Milan Michalek. (in terms of production and time to develop)
The only glaring difference I can find between those two guys, for better or worse, is that Mika's got high end one timer ability that Michalek has NONE of.

Alot of the other stuff is pretty close all the way down to the frame and skating stride.