HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) *Part III*

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Like I said before, there's no reason to believe the Rangers won't make room for JAM if he's capable of playing in the NHL. They've done that in the past, especially in recent years. They don't have the second-youngest group of skaters for stiffing the capable young guys (Lundqvist and especially Biron drags the overall average team age up).

If JAM can play, then Anisimov can be moved to the wing or traded.
Exactly. I'm not terribly worried about it. They offered him a contract for a reason, and he's given them no reason to back down from offering it again at the end of the season. He and Hrivik are looking like very solid pickups from the Q.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:36 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Exactly. I'm not terribly worried about it. They offered him a contract for a reason, and he's given them no reason to back down from offering it again at the end of the season. He and Hrivik are looking like very solid pickups from the Q.
Gimme some Hrivik, I like what he's doing in Hartford! Gotta love free top round picks in guys like Hrivik and JAM....great scouting work!

I wonder if the Ranger's have spies in Columbus...Stralman, Hrivik, both at camp and neither signed.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnelundefaret View Post
HAHA. I saw that on Twitter and asked a question about whether or not he thought after giving the NHL system a go again after his time with the Rangers. Obviously going home and getting paid well wasn't a bad option though.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Last night's loss was tough considering they really outplayed Norfolk for good parts of the game. Just a shame about those six minutes or so in the second period where Norfolk scored three goals and never let the lead up again.

Anyways...it was an encouraging loss. They can hang with this team, they just can't give them opportunities. They're too good and strike too fast.

McIlrath is like a steamroller on the ice btw...dude can flatten guys.

And Hrivik made a great strong play to the net to set up the Deveaux goal. He keeps looking better. Casey Wellman should get a look in camp next year. Guy can skate and has a great shot.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Last night's loss was tough considering they really outplayed Norfolk for good parts of the game. Just a shame about those six minutes or so in the second period where Norfolk scored three goals and never let the lead up again.

Anyways...it was an encouraging loss. They can hang with this team, they just can't give them opportunities. They're too good and strike too fast.

McIlrath is like a steamroller on the ice btw...dude can flatten guys.

And Hrivik made a great strong play to the net to set up the Deveaux goal. He keeps looking better. Casey Wellman should get a look in camp next year. Guy can skate and has a great shot.

What about miller and thomas?

Old
05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Miller is a lot stronger than I thought. Has been impressive. Great passer and had some good chances around the net. Gets plenty of ice team. Christian Thomas was scratched last night (healthy I assume). Hope he gets back into it tonight.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

WOW. The Whale were VERY good tonight. A complete game. Talbot shined again. Hopefully they can win on Wednesday in Bridgeport and take one of the final two in Norfolk to keep this run going!

Old
05-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Hrivik with yet another point, as is JAM and Erixon. Thomas was scratched again. Not a good sign that at the age of 20 he can't win a spot in the AHL.

Erixon should be in the NHL next season. The summer is more than enough time for him to bulk up, and then Travese and Preseason should tweak the final little bits to get him to full-time NHL level.

I hope we sign Hrivik (and JAM). Well worth a two-way NHL deal.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:48 PM
ColonialsHockey10

So McIlrath has done well?

I think I'll buy a game online soon. Too many of our top prospects playing at once to not.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

How was Mcilrath?

Old
05-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

On Thomas, I am not sure it's a case of not winning a spot. He's a late addition to the team. Gernander got the GWG out of Scott Tanski tonight (who pretty much played over Thomas). Thomas looked fine in his action so far. Wouldn't be worried there. It's just that there's a handful of guys who have given blood, sweat and tears for Gernander the entire season and deserve these playoff minutes. There's no way, for example, that guys like Tommy Grant, Scott Tanski and Jordan Owens would have a regular spot over Thomas.

McIlrath has looked okay for being so new and playing a big role as Wade Redden's partner on defense. He surprisingly (to me at least) jumps into the play A LOT. On the one Norfolk goal tonight he kind of got caught trying to make an aggressive play and the Admiral player beat the remaining defenseman up the sideboards to snipe it past Talbot. He's learning but he looks good. He hits guys and knows what he's doing out there. Just needs to relax in some situations.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:07 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Thanks for the quick response!

Is purchasing a game online the same as it was last year?

Old
05-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Yeah, ahllive.com I believe. I've never done it. They had a viewing party at a bar in Hartford for game two...I am hoping they do the same for either or both of game six or seven.

Old
05-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Mini6767

Quote:
On Thomas, I am not sure it's a case of not winning a spot. He's a late addition to the team. Gernander got the GWG out of Scott Tanski tonight (who pretty much played over Thomas). Thomas looked fine in his action so far. Wouldn't be worried there. It's just that there's a handful of guys who have given blood, sweat and tears for Gernander the entire season and deserve these playoff minutes. There's no way, for example, that guys like Tommy Grant, Scott Tanski and Jordan Owens would have a regular spot over Thomas.

McIlrath has looked okay for being so new and playing a big role as Wade Redden's partner on defense. He surprisingly (to me at least) jumps into the play A LOT. On the one Norfolk goal tonight he kind of got caught trying to make an aggressive play and the Admiral player beat the remaining defenseman up the sideboards to snipe it past Talbot. He's learning but he looks good. He hits guys and knows what he's doing out there. Just needs to relax in some situations.
I noticed Dylan has a fight with Scott Jackson if u seen the game how did it go. Did he dominate
I hope so as this will mean that rupp is replaced with a player who is more skilled when he reachs the NHL with probably a year before rupps contract ends

Old
05-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Dominate? Wouldn't say that. But he certainly won the fight and got major points for stepping in for a teammate.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Scott Jackson hit Ryan Bourque. McIlrath went after Jackson.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Pizza

Game highlights:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f...7-12-a-173657/

Jackson's a big boy.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

How has Erixon progressed over the course of the season?

Is he pretty much the #1 dman down there that plays 22-23 minutes a night?

I'm very curious, if anyone has any info that would be great

Old
05-08-2012, 03:32 PM
McDonaghisGod
Typical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Game highlights:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f...7-12-a-173657/

Jackson's a big boy.
McIlrath will be a monster once he fills out.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Love McIlrath's fight. He's a big boy and growing up before us!

Dislove that announcer's high pitched voice.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:41 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
McIlrath has to keep that playoff beard going until next season. Every monster like McIlrath is projected to be needs a goon beard.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Ola

I've not seen HFD play this season, but I want to add one thing about McIlrath. That's an aspect that is a curse for 1st round picks.

The kid was 19 y/o when he joined HFD (he just turned 20 in may). Dan Girardi at the age of 19-20 was not ready for the AHL. Girardi did not make HFD out of camp when being 21.5 y/o, he started that season in the ECHL. Carl Hagelin or Ryan Callahan was not ready for the AHL at that age. Nobody expected them to be ready. Mike Sauer had a very small role as a rookie in the AHL being 20-21 y/o. Add 2-4 years to McI's current age, and Girardi, Hagelin, Callahan, Sauer and co started to contribute in the NHL. And had McI been a 2nd round pick, I am 100% sure it would have been perfectly natrual for him to get those 2-4 years with zero pressure on them.

Now he is under the microscope from day 1. Our team is doing really well, and that's great for him. Like he is not "needed", unlike say a Jamie Lundmark or Bobby S. But its still ESSENTIAL that McI is able to concentrate and really work towards taking one step at the time in his development. I mean, Dan G probably felt great about himself when he had an "ok" first camp, got a spot in the AHL after only 7 games in the ECHL. Then he probably felt great after having a strong camp the year after that in NY, despite not making the NHL, and then just getting a chance to play some in the NHL was probably tremendous for him. Its like, a player with reasonable expectations on themselves who can take one step at the time and feel great about every small step they can take -- develop well. But a 1st rounder who is slightly seen as a dissapointment even for not being ready as a 18-19 y/o, often seem to struggle at just improving on a yearly basis. Sometimes its one step forward and two step backwards. Because overall, I think McI looks pretty darn interesting. Huge. Good natrual open ice hitter. Decent skater and decent hands. If he is ready for the AHL next year, and can become a strong 4th-5th D at that level the year after that -- the step to the NHL as a solid NHL D, with some tremendous intanglibles, isn't that far away at all.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Ola

Quote:
Yeah, that's his style and its important to remember it.

Its good for the future, but easy to forget these days early in his career. For good and bad he is definitely not the natrual stay at home D that people, rightfully, expects him to become.

In the WHL, he kind of has the role of say Victor Hedman in Tampa in the NHL. IE, he is kind of raw, but still a good skater who with a combination of that and his size and decent abilities play a bigger role. Joins the play alot and tries to be involved offensively. But still very far from say a Hall Gill/Adam Foote super prototype of a stay at home D. That suprise me too when I first saw him, but its important to remember that this is his "natrual style" and it effects his transition to diffrent levels.

When he for example plays at a tournament like Traverse at a pretty decent talent level, people will be dissapointed with him because he can't step in and be that big role stay at home D people expects, and he isn't as talented that he can dominate 2-ways on that alone, and playing a stay-at-home-d role isn't his natrual role so he won't be 100% comfortable in that either. While when he get a minor role in a NHL pre-season game, he still got strength infront of the net and in the corners and size/reach that will stick out anywhere, and especially when playing just to survive he can do fairly well.

I like McI and I think he will become a very valuble player for us. He just needs to keep developing and learning the core of the D-role for a couple of years. But like you say he hits alot, and that's because he can hit. Size makes you hit harder, but it hurts you when you try to land a hit. Many casual fans miss that. Its hard to land a hit at the pro-level. But McI is very good at it. Good lateral movement and good natrual timing instincts. We got a dude 6'5 who is strong like a bull and who can drop em. Sure, he can be somewhat clueless around his own net, and is raw defensively in many areas -- but he can also land big open ice hits. He is great at clearing the crease when he is in the right position. It hurts playing against him. Why won't this kid make it in a couple of years?

Old
05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I've not seen HFD play this season, but I want to add one thing about McIlrath. That's an aspect that is a curse for 1st round picks.

The kid was 19 y/o when he joined HFD (he just turned 20 in may). Dan Girardi at the age of 19-20 was not ready for the AHL. Girardi did not make HFD out of camp when being 21.5 y/o, he started that season in the ECHL. Carl Hagelin or Ryan Callahan was not ready for the AHL at that age. Nobody expected them to be ready. Mike Sauer had a very small role as a rookie in the AHL being 20-21 y/o. Add 2-4 years to McI's current age, and Girardi, Hagelin, Callahan, Sauer and co started to contribute in the NHL. And had McI been a 2nd round pick, I am 100% sure it would have been perfectly natrual for him to get those 2-4 years with zero pressure on them.

Now he is under the microscope from day 1. Our team is doing really well, and that's great for him. Like he is not "needed", unlike say a Jamie Lundmark or Bobby S. But its still ESSENTIAL that McI is able to concentrate and really work towards taking one step at the time in his development. I mean, Dan G probably felt great about himself when he had an "ok" first camp, got a spot in the AHL after only 7 games in the ECHL. Then he probably felt great after having a strong camp the year after that in NY, despite not making the NHL, and then just getting a chance to play some in the NHL was probably tremendous for him. Its like, a player with reasonable expectations on themselves who can take one step at the time and feel great about every small step they can take -- develop well. But a 1st rounder who is slightly seen as a dissapointment even for not being ready as a 18-19 y/o, often seem to struggle at just improving on a yearly basis. Sometimes its one step forward and two step backwards. Because overall, I think McI looks pretty darn interesting. Huge. Good natrual open ice hitter. Decent skater and decent hands. If he is ready for the AHL next year, and can become a strong 4th-5th D at that level the year after that -- the step to the NHL as a solid NHL D, with some tremendous intanglibles, isn't that far away at all.
This is a huge argument from a sports psychology point of view when looking at NHL draft picks and trying to determine why those who succeed do, and those who don't, do not.

McIlrath is going to be fine for the reason bolded. It's the reason Kreider was pushed for and wasn't given much time. He was needed.

McIlrath can develop like a mid-round pick. Maybe not on the 2003-2004 team with Leetch, Malakhov, Poti, deVries, Mironov, and Kasparaitis. But there is no reason we can't get close to a finished product with McIlrath in two years or so having Girardi, McD, Staal, and DZ in the fold. The fact that we have depth with Erixon already ahead of him means so much to his development.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:19 AM
NYR Viper

I still absolutely loved that pick. The Rangers have needed a player like him for years and the kid can skate. Positioning can be taught and he has a great head on his shoulders.

Closed Thread