HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is "Success" for this team?

View Poll Results: How far do we have to go?
Making the Playoffs was enough 2 2.90%
Make Round 2 (Win 1 round) 6 8.70%
Make Western Conference Finals (Win 2 Rounds) 36 52.17%
Make Stanley Cup Finals (Win Western Conference) 11 15.94%
Win The Cup 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Tennman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
correct. there's no one we CAN't play next round
It's not set up like a NCAA bracket. The teams are reseeded after the first round.The highest remaining seed will play the lowest. Which means there is no way we can play St. Louis before the WCF.

Tennman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:03 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman View Post
It's not set up like a NCAA bracket. The teams are reseeded after the first round.The highest remaining seed will play the lowest. Which means there is no way we can play St. Louis before the WCF.
Really? Vancouver can still win their series, although still very unlikely. Couple that with Chicago and St Louis winning their respective matchups and look at who plays against who.

#1 Van v #6 Chi
#2 StL v #4 Nsh

We can still potentially play Van, StL, Phx, Chi, SJ, or LA in the next round depending on which combination of teams advance.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Tennman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Really? Vancouver can still win their series, although still very unlikely. Couple that with Chicago and St Louis winning their respective matchups and look at who plays against who.

#1 Van v #6 Chi
#2 StL v #4 Nsh

Seems simple. Don't know why I didn't see that. Maybe deep down I didn't want it to be possible

Tennman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:10 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

we've seen two 3-0 deficits overcome in recent years.

I'm not counting Vancouver OR Pittsburgh out,and it's why we need to be careful not to get too comfortable with Detroit.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:25 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think for us making it one round farther than the previous year can be considered a positive outcome for the season.
I agree. Anything else is gravy.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:47 AM
pekkaslap

I'll throw this out there. Signing Shea Weber this summer would be success for this team. However many wins/dollars it takes to get that done would be my answer.

I'll say that a first round win over Detroit would be pretty sweet. Even sweeter than last year. We took Vancouver to 6 last year, so it's not like we didn't hang with them. A second round win would be great, but it's all about the matchup to me. I don't want StL or the Kings...

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Jarnberg

To the 9% or so, looks like this team was successful.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:45 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
A 5 game spanking by freaking Phoenix in round 2 is not success.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Jarnberg

We at least won two games last year in the second round.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Regression what?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
2 Games against the President's Trophy winners too. Now we are about to lose in 5 to a team who finished below us in the standings points wise.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
dulzhok

As upset as I am about the outcome of the Phoenix series, the real test comes down to what happens this offseason and over the coming year.

We're on the cusp of being an elite team but also on the cusp on being very mediocre. Let's see if you can do what you couldn't do in Washington, Poile.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:57 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
As upset as I am about the outcome of the Phoenix series, the real test comes down to what happens this offseason and over the coming year.

We're on the cusp of being an elite team but also on the cusp on being very mediocre. Let's see if you can do what you couldn't do in Washington, Poile.
Lol, did you copy that from last season after we lost to VAN? Don't get your hopes up. Remember last summer?

Old
05-07-2012, 11:01 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Lol, did you copy that from last season after we lost to VAN? Don't get your hopes up. Remember last summer?
No, we did not have all these key impending FAs last year. We had 3rd liners and an old Sullivan.

But yes, the same is true as last year, good but not elite. But if we lose all these players with no replacements (or dare I say IMPROVEMENTS), we're going to take a step back.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:53 PM
cleangene

NOT this season. Knocking off the wings was a milestone, but as older and slower as they were, if we hadn't won that series, it would have been double tragic. That window GMDP talked about at Skate of the Union has just been slammed shut, and the "car" Sutes and Webs were given the keys to has now just blown a tire...maybe 2.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Reviled*
Partisan

Success is measured against past performance, tempered by significant changes.

Last year we made it past an injured-goalie Ducks team and then won two against VAN in Round 2.

This post-season started well by beating the Red Wings - a successful start to the post season. We then lost in 5, winning only one (due to a very bad misplay and a lucky deflection) against PHX.

This post-season ended poorly. We did not improve upon last year's performance.

Did we have any extenuating circumstances or significant changes? Yes, we are supposedly more balanced, more skilled, and deeper of roster.

This means we did notably worse in the post-season.

Our system produced worse results under better circumstances and with better personnel.

Reviled* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
NOT this season. Knocking off the wings was a milestone, but as older and slower as they were, if we hadn't won that series, it would have been double tragic. That window GMDP talked about at Skate of the Union has just been slammed shut, and the "car" Sutes and Webs were given the keys to has now just blown a tire...maybe 2.
I think most people thought next year was our year... However this was it as I really don't think Suter ak rads stick around. I also have a sinking feeling weber gets a good offer sheet and forces us to accept the compensation because he won't want to be here either. This is the doomsday scenario but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
To the 9% or so, looks like this team was successful.
You're on a roll tonight. Now is your time to shine!

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:59 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
That window GMDP talked about at Skate of the Union has just been slammed shut.
It's up to him to keep it open and open it wider.

Suter to Philly or Pittsburgh. They will get in a huge bidding war, yes even just for his rights. Philly has assets to burn as well. Go NJ!

Radulov-- got to figure if he's committed to this team and its culture. If not, trade him. While benching him diminished his value, he still has good value.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:05 AM
canadianpredsfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
western conference finals.. at least. we won't have an easier year to make it to the cup..
I echo this. This was a disappointing season in the end.

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:24 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I said WCF but as long as they don't collapse against Detroit and play to the level they are capable of in the 2nd round I would be OK if the better team beat us.
Preds didn't play to the level they were capable of. Overall they played a decent series. Decent doesn't cut it second round of the playoffs. Phoenix was playing really good hockey all series, Smith was great and they got some puck luck. Preds had to up their game to win this series and they didn't do it. They waited until the last game to really go all out and by then it was too late. I don't know if the team thought the series would come to them naturally once we found out we were playing Phoenix or what. Even Erat admitted they underestimated the Yotes and by the time they pulled their heads out of their ass it was too late.

Yes, overall it was a pretty good season. However the franchise made it very clear success the year was determined in the playoffs and the playoffs were not as successful as the standard they were holding their selves too. The team went all in and because they did so did I. Like I said in my quote if I felt the better team beat us I would not be disappointed. Phoenix played a great series but I don't believe they are better than the Preds if the Preds play to the level they are capable of. Therefore yes I am very disappointed and now the reality of the team taking a big step backwards is in the forefront of my mind.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:40 AM
PredsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Preds didn't play to the level they were capable of. Overall they played a decent series. Decent doesn't cut it second round of the playoffs. Phoenix was playing really good hockey all series, Smith was great and they got some puck luck. Preds had to up their game to win this series and they didn't do it. They waited until the last game to really go all out and by then it was too late. I don't know if the team thought the series would come to them naturally once we found out we were playing Phoenix or what. Even Erat admitted they underestimated the Yotes and by the time they pulled their heads out of their ass it was too late.

Yes, overall it was a pretty good season. However the franchise made it very clear success the year was determined in the playoffs and the playoffs were not as successful as the standard they were holding their selves too. The team went all in and because they did so did I. Like I said in my quote if I felt the better team beat us I would not be disappointed. Phoenix played a great series but I don't believe they are better than the Preds if the Preds play to the level they are capable of. Therefore yes I am very disappointed and now the reality of the team taking a big step backwards is in the forefront of my mind.
This X10000. This is how I feel and have been trying to tell people for the past hour, just nothing but anger comes out.

PredsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

So now that we have had a couple of weeks to digest everything... do you guys think this was a successful season?

For me, off the ice yes with better attendance, improved marketing and business relations, and an emerging Atlanta market.

On the ice. No. Not even close to good enough after we went all in. This team should have been able to make it to the WCF without serious setback. Once we got there, however, I expected us to be run over by the kings (my pick for the cup) but we should have gotten there. No excuses. I am particularly disappointed in Wilson, Rads, AK, Trotz, and above all Suter. Rads and AK for obvious reasons. Trotz for not having the moxie to switch up things in game 2 and for sitting our best players game 4. Wilson for failing to put things together and being benched AGAIN when it matters. Suter for making us question his commitment (and probably getting his teammates guessing too) midway through the season.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
So now that we have had a couple of weeks to digest everything... do you guys think this was a successful season?

For me, off the ice yes with better attendance, improved marketing and business relations, and an emerging Atlanta market.

On the ice. No. Not even close to good enough after we went all in. This team should have been able to make it to the WCF without serious setback. Once we got there, however, I expected us to be run over by the kings (my pick for the cup) but we should have gotten there. No excuses. I am particularly disappointed in Wilson, Rads, AK, Trotz, and above all Suter. Rads and AK for obvious reasons. Trotz for not having the moxie to switch up things in game 2 and for sitting our best players game 4. Wilson for failing to put things together and being benched AGAIN when it matters. Suter for making us question his commitment (and probably getting his teammates guessing too) midway through the season.
Agreed 100% Off the ice, best season ever, on the ice, disappointing.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Agreed 100% Off the ice, best season ever, on the ice, disappointing.
Sums it up for me

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote