HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles trying to get 1st Overall from Edmonton?

Old
05-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Why would Edmonton ask any less?
Are you serious? Maybe so Tambellini or the next Oilers GM isn't embarrassed for life for asking for Tavares.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:01 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm still waiting for someone more credible then Eklund,to write about this.
One of the reasons I say that though is because I firmly believe that Kabonov is underrated as a prospect, and could play his way into the lineup as soon as next year. He has the size, the speed, the skill, and he's good defensively. There's no reason why he can't. Between him and Strome they have a few pretty good wing prospects. But a dynamic PMD would go a long ways for them, because their best young D-men are more so shutdown guys.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:14 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
One of the reasons I say that though is because I firmly believe that Kabonov is underrated as a prospect, and could play his way into the lineup as soon as next year. He has the size, the speed, the skill, and he's good defensively. There's no reason why he can't. Between him and Strome they have a few pretty good wing prospects. But a dynamic PMD would go a long ways for them, because their best young D-men are more so shutdown guys.
22 yr old Matt Donovan was a rookie in the AHL this season.8th in scoring among all AHL defenseman.Corey Pronman who scouts and writes for hockeyprospectus,says his upside is a #3 defenseman.

21 yr old De Haan was also an ahl rookie this season.He was considered to be Streit's eventual replacement,but Donovan looks like he'll challenge him for that role.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Terrible rumor--these teams make awful trading partners.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:32 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
22 yr old Matt Donovan was a rookie in the AHL this season.8th in scoring among all AHL defenseman.Corey Pronman who scouts and writes for hockeyprospectus,says his upside is a #3 defenseman.

21 yr old De Haan was also an ahl rookie this season.He was considered to be Streit's eventual replacement,but Donovan looks like he'll challenge him for that role.
I actually don't know of Matt Donovan, but I'll keep my eye on him now.

And I forgot about De Haan when I made that post. Time for him to make that jump though IMO.

I still think a guy like Reilly or Dumba would be the best pick. Multiple PMD's is not a bad thing at all, especially with a guy like Dumba who has a physical presence.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
i mean thats just.....STUPID overpayment.
Agreed. Usually this guy is just making absolutely stupid proposals involving the Jets. At least he's spreading the crazy around now.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Stopped reading at "complete crapshoot".
Then you missed "reality needs to enter the equation".

JT is a proven NHL superstar. Yak isnt.

Crapshoot.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:59 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Sure, i guess I can replace Hamonic with de Haan

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Then you missed "reality needs to enter the equation".

JT is a proven NHL superstar. Yak isnt.

Crapshoot.
Yeah, 1st overalls are a crapshoot.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:14 AM
jdr016

I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton is trying to avoid the embarrassment of picking first overall again. It all comes down to what Columbus and Montreal are doing with their picks. Edmonton would probably be more than happy with Murray or Dumba.

Isles 1st, 2nd, and De Haan to move back three spots seems good to me.

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:35 AM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton is trying to avoid the embarrassment of picking first overall again. It all comes down to what Columbus and Montreal are doing with their picks. Edmonton would probably be more than happy with Murray or Dumba.

The embarrassment of adding a potential franchise player to their roster?

Not one Oiler fan I know is in any way embarrassed to see our team get a crack at 1st overall this year.

Lets take a peek into Islanders draft history shall we?

4 1st overall picks
2 2nd overall picks
2 3rd overall picks
3 4th overall picks not including the selection to be made this year
6 5th overall picks

with an additional 30 other first round picks since 1972

17 picks in the top 5 in team history

Now for the Oilers

3 1st overall picks including the one yet to be made this year
1 4th overall pick
5 6th overall picks

with an additional 32 1st round picks since 1979

4 picks in the top 5 in team history, 9 top 6

Not sure the Oilers feel much in the way of shame by way of comparison.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:43 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
The embarrassment of adding a potential franchise player to their roster?

Not one Oiler fan I know is in any way embarrassed to see our team get a crack at 1st overall this year.

Lets take a peek into Islanders draft history shall we?

4 1st overall picks
2 2nd overall picks
2 3rd overall picks
3 4th overall picks not including the selection to be made this year
6 5th overall picks

with an additional 30 other first round picks since 1972

17 picks in the top 5 in team history

Now for the Oilers

3 1st overall picks including the one yet to be made this year
1 4th overall pick
5 6th overall picks

with an additional 32 1st round picks since 1979

4 picks in the top 5 in team history, 9 top 6

Not sure the Oilers feel much in the way of shame by way of comparison.
Bazinga

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post

Hall-RNH-Yakupov

Pretty embarrassing stuff right there. I hope other teams take them off our hands so we don't have to deal with the embarrassment of them lighting up the league for the next decade.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:01 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Hall-RNH-Yakupov

Pretty embarrassing stuff right there. I hope other teams take them off our hands so we don't have to deal with the embarrassment of them lighting up the league for the next decade.
Eberle doesn't fit in that group. Embarrassing for Eberle. I'll take him off your hands.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:11 AM
lakai17

well let me just start off by saying I think both teams are great trading partners but probably not this proposal because I don't see Calgary having the assets in which they should be giving up at this moment.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:57 AM
shiva

The thing that a lot of us forget is there is usually more than setting a players value when it comes to trades. We all forget that teams will make trades that is the best for their business even if they "lose" a trade.

If NYI can find a young stud defenseman that they can trade to the Oilers (and it has to be grossly overpriced by the Oilers standards) then they will do so, for one reason. Money.

Look at it from Wang's p.o.v. he may be moving to Brookland, in the middle of the largest market in the NHL. He will have a brand new building, and JT is his centerpiece right now, but, not as marketable. He wants Yak because he can be marketed as the number one, the kid is very personable, has that fire inside him, hates to lose, and would be the face that Wang can build his marketing and promotion around.

Edmonton did this with Hall and RNH, and they sold a lot of jerseys because of that. In a area the size of New York, that is a huge opportunity to put butts in the seats, and have them buying branded product. Wang may be a bit of a fruit loop, but the man does know business. The proper face could make a lot of money, and when you are moving and starting over in one of the largest cities on the planet, Yak would be a very good fit

shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:22 AM
Isles72

I think montreal ends up being the team that overpays to move up .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:25 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Before oilers get first overall pick. Yakupov is a can't miss pick. Now he is questionable

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:29 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post
The thing that a lot of us forget is there is usually more than setting a players value when it comes to trades. We all forget that teams will make trades that is the best for their business even if they "lose" a trade.

If NYI can find a young stud defenseman that they can trade to the Oilers (and it has to be grossly overpriced by the Oilers standards) then they will do so, for one reason. Money.

Look at it from Wang's p.o.v. he may be moving to Brookland, in the middle of the largest market in the NHL. He will have a brand new building, and JT is his centerpiece right now, but, not as marketable. He wants Yak because he can be marketed as the number one, the kid is very personable, has that fire inside him, hates to lose, and would be the face that Wang can build his marketing and promotion around.

Edmonton did this with Hall and RNH, and they sold a lot of jerseys because of that. In a area the size of New York, that is a huge opportunity to put butts in the seats, and have them buying branded product. Wang may be a bit of a fruit loop, but the man does know business. The proper face could make a lot of money, and when you are moving and starting over in one of the largest cities on the planet, Yak would be a very good fit
If the nyi with their weak defense are able to land a young,talented blueliner,they'll keep him.

Wang is not moving anywhere for 3 more seasons.So,let's quit trying to dress up a crappy proposal,using the "Wang needs to do something to excite Brooklyn tix buyers".It doesn't wash.

Wang has closed his checkbook because partisan politics derailed his privately funded development deal and fed up voters,nixed paying extra taxes for the publicly funded arena.Tix buyers aren't coming out to see his team ,while he plays cap floor/payroll games.Nail means very little to fans pissed off, over seeing such things as a not ready for primetime Nino, with his $2.7m cap hit kept on the team and making $900,000 in actual salary.

Isles actual payroll this season was just over $36m.That's about $30m less then some teams.Increase payroll,add a quality,top 4 defenseman and a solid 3rd pairing defenseman.Those are things NYI fans want.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 05-08-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old
05-08-2012, 05:42 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Before oilers get first overall pick. Yakupov is a can't miss pick. Now he is questionable
Go to the NYI board's draft threads.

Nail has had his share of supporters and critics on that board, all season.Almost all posters agreed he had the highest upside,but his injuries,style of play,the isles badly needing a blueline stud and the KHL are reasons his critics don't want Snow in the mix for him.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Yeah, 1st overalls are a crapshoot.

Daigle, Stefan, Lawton....

Yeah, never happens.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Based on what?
Past precedent.

Again, look at the 2003 deal for the 1st overall (and a 3rd round pick)--the 3rd overall, a late second, and a "B" prospect.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:43 AM
jokerboysmith

Doesn't make sense for these two teams, each fan base won't like the outcome.
Teams are too similar and have the same holes to fill also.

Montreal makes more sense.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Daigle, Stefan, Lawton....

Yeah, never happens.
Or we can look at the past... 10 years, when scouting isn't garbage?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:04 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Past precedent.

Again, look at the 2003 deal for the 1st overall (and a 3rd round pick)--the 3rd overall, a late second, and a "B" prospect.

All 3 teams got who they would have picked 1st overall in that draft. That was not a clearcut year.

Would you have traded the 1st overall( Jon Tavares) for 3rd overall and scraps? Doubtful

A better example would be... should the Oilers have traded #1(Hall) for Gudbranson/Niederreiter/Johansen and scraps?

Every year we hear(from fans of teams in the #3-5 range) there isn't a big difference between #1 and #5.
Its silly talk.

Last edited by dem: 05-08-2012 at 10:09 AM.
dem is offline   Reply With Quote