HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Drug use on a hockey team

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2012, 11:00 PM
  #51
shawn1331
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Forgot, yeah doing it in the arena is a huge no-no and should be talked about. But if he wants to do it at his house and then show up theres not much you can do. Other than go to the police and snitch but that might ruin the rest of your teams relationship with you, plus as long as he's not hurting anyone else then no need to ruin his life right.

shawn1331 is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
  #52
thom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Igor Larinov wrote a book about a decade ago that was published in Switzerland where he mention that many players were injected with drugs to help their performance.Many of the eastern bloc countries forced their athletes to take drugs to help their mother countries.The 70 to 80's high performance drugs were wide spread in Soviet bloc countries.Of course its the same for the western countries too.

thom is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 11:07 PM
  #53
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,150
vCash: 114
If it happened months ago...leave it alone. I assume nobody got hurt and really that's the most important thing.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 11:22 PM
  #54
IDuck
Registered User
 
IDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
a couple rules to adopt....1) treat people the way that you would want to be treated and 2) C.Y.B. (Cover Your Butt).....1)sounds to me like this guy needs help and i would offer any possible help i could give....2) i would be beyond PISSED if i had someone have that crap around me, i understand just being around it isnt a crime but i dont want to be around it, and in a lockerroom i shouldnt have to worry about it. with that said you either have to stay out of it or get to the bottom of it and report it to whomever needed to be notified (C.Y.B.)...in this case i would ask the guy directly about it BEFORE allowing him to play again and make sure its clear what the rules are...good luck, never fun to be stuck between a rock and a hard place

IDuck is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 12:21 AM
  #55
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
sounds like an addicts excuse. "It ok because I know what I am doing"
That implies that all drugs are actually addicting. Don't take my post the wrong way... coke is a nasty drug in that it has the power to grab people and hold them tight in its grasp. I'm not promoting drug use or saying that drugs are "fine" or whatever... I'm merely stating that a lot of people that talk down on drugs and drug users have not the slightest clue about the topic.

Sorry if my post sounded like I was advocating drug use, because believe me I'm not. I have many friends and even closer people that have gone through hell because of it.

Fanned On It is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 12:23 AM
  #56
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
So when you say it's not like that at all, you mean it's exactly like that.
So when you read things do you just twist the words to mean what you want them to? Pretty apparent that you do.

All I'm saying is that people should be educated on a topic before they speak about it. Not. Advocating. Drug use.

Fanned On It is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 12:33 AM
  #57
Pez68
Registered User
 
Pez68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
He's not talking about "drug use" in general. He's talking about a very specific drug, in a very specific form, being taken in a very specific manner. In a public place. Where kids are present fairly regularly. A drug whose known side effects include increased heart rate and blood pressure, while decreasing blood flow to the heart because of constricted arteries... A drug whose known side effects include constricted blood vessels in the brain, and strokes. Being taken before playing a very physically exerting sport, that stresses the brain and heart. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea...

Stop generalizing when we are talking about something very specific here. I can't believe there was actually more outrage about people drinking energy drinks before playing hockey...than doing lines of coke. Wow.

Pez68 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 12:50 AM
  #58
Pez68
Registered User
 
Pez68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
People took D.A.R.E and health class seriously in here, eh?
People have never seen somebody die as a result of taking cocaine or crack in here, eh? Those are just the side effects of cocaine in it's purest form. Then you have to consider the fact that you have absolutely no idea what they are cutting it with, because not many people are buying cocaine in it's purest form to snort...

But you're right. We should worry more about energy drinks.

Pez68 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 12:50 AM
  #59
donkers*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
I guess my cousin who has ADHD can't play hockey while on Ritalin according to Pez.

donkers* is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 12:53 AM
  #60
Pez68
Registered User
 
Pez68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
I guess my cousin who has ADHD can't play hockey while on Ritalin according to Pez.
So Ritalin and Cocaine are now the same?

Pez68 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 12:56 AM
  #61
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
He's not talking about "drug use" in general. He's talking about a very specific drug, in a very specific form, being taken in a very specific manner. In a public place. Where kids are present fairly regularly. A drug whose known side effects include increased heart rate and blood pressure, while decreasing blood flow to the heart because of constricted arteries... A drug whose known side effects include constricted blood vessels in the brain, and strokes. Being taken before playing a very physically exerting sport, that stresses the brain and heart. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea...

Stop generalizing when we are talking about something very specific here. I can't believe there was actually more outrage about people drinking energy drinks before playing hockey...than doing lines of coke. Wow.
I was more talking about the "drugs are bad" mentality that most people seem to have around here. What a guy does before a game in a beer league is his own problem... let him deal with it. Until it becomes public, just let it be.

Fanned On It is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 01:01 AM
  #62
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
So Ritalin and Cocaine are now the same?
They have many of the same side-effects... Did you know that the common ADHD medicine "Adderall" is dextroamphetamine? It's legal speed that has the opposite effect of speed in people with LEGITIMATE ADHD. It's still doing all of the same stuff to them physically, though. The effects of cocaine and adderall/Ritalin are very similar physically.

Fanned On It is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 01:03 AM
  #63
Pez68
Registered User
 
Pez68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
What he does at home is his problem. I agree. What he does in a public ice arena in a locker room or bathroom that you, your team, and countless others are sharing with him is not his own problem.

Pez68 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 01:07 AM
  #64
donkers*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
I don't think anyone has ever said it's okay for him to do it in the bathroom of the rink.

donkers* is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 01:17 AM
  #65
Pez68
Registered User
 
Pez68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
They have many of the same side-effects... Did you know that the common ADHD medicine "Adderall" is dextroamphetamine? It's legal speed that has the opposite effect of speed in people with LEGITIMATE ADHD. It's still doing all of the same stuff to them physically, though. The effects of cocaine and adderall/Ritalin are very similar physically.
One is a controlled prescription drug that your doctors will prescribe to you for legitimate problems. The other is an illegal, uncontrolled, recreational drug, used by otherwise normal people to get high... To your point, it's pretty well known by now that Ritalin and Adderall CAN both cause heart problems. Especially after years of use(or abuse, more to the point here). People have died from abusing Ritalin and Adderall(one when I was in high school, actually).

I still fail to see how this is applicable to cocaine. You aren't getting a prescription from your doctor for a very specific dose of cocaine. Even if you were, there's no way for you, as the recreational drug user, to know EXACTLY how much cocaine you are actually getting in a line. It is all cut with something, and who knows what that something is most of the time... I don't hear of many people going to the ER as a result of smoking weed or having a few beers. I do, however, hear of quite a few people that end up in the ER because of cocaine... There's a reason it is illegal, and it has very little to do with politics.

Pez68 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 01:17 AM
  #66
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
I don't think anyone has ever said it's okay for him to do it in the bathroom of the rink.
That is what this thread is all about.

Wildturkey12 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 01:42 AM
  #67
Pez68
Registered User
 
Pez68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
I see a lot of people saying that he shouldn't worry about a guy on his team bringing coke into the locker room, and doing lines in the bathroom, actually.

Pez68 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 06:49 AM
  #68
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,250
vCash: 500
Until they legalize recreational drugs and HFBoards changes its site rules, we're done here.

Jarick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.