HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Elliott

Old
05-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliaceae View Post
lmao. No No No.
This.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Holdurbreathe

Elliott is signed for two more years as the backup in St Louis, perfect role for him.

Hitchcock's system isn't really defensive, what he had employed successfully with the Blues was a relentless forecheck which resulted in the Blues having and advantage in offensive zone time. Sutter countered this ystem with quick puck movement in the defensive zone nullifing the Blues forecheck.

The end result, the Blues offensive zone time dropped, their defensive zone time went up, exploiting the Blues defence, and when that happens the GA suffers.

Elliott was OK, but the way the Kings are playing, the Blues or any team for that matter, need much better than just OK goaltending to have a chance..

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:29 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

I haven't followed the Blues, hence my inquiry as to why, considering the great run he had a couple of years ago (and which probably played a great part in them them wanting to get him), they didn't play Halak in the playoffs? Is he injured?

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Holdurbreathe

[QUOTE=dennilfloss;49367227]I haven't followed the Blues, hence my inquiry as to why, considering the great run he had a couple of years ago (and which probably played a great part in them them wanting to get him), they didn't play Halak in the playoffs? Is he injured?[/QUOTE]

Yes, high ankle sprain I believe.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:23 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
This.
excellent quote. Agreeing with someone who has yet to elaborate. That and knows nothing about Elliott

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:00 AM
arglebargle

vCash: 450
What's the point? The Sens already have Anderson, Bishop and Lehner. Is he going to backup Lehner in Bingo?

I like the guy and hope he continues to do well in St. Louis or wherever but it's a horrible fit for both parties.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

I like Elliott but I wouldn't want him back here especially with Anderson playing so well.

05-07-2012, 10:46 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Elliott is signed for two more years as the backup in St Louis, perfect role for him.

Hitchcock's system isn't really defensive, what he had employed successfully with the Blues was a relentless forecheck which resulted in the Blues having and advantage in offensive zone time. Sutter countered this ystem with quick puck movement in the defensive zone nullifing the Blues forecheck.

The end result, the Blues offensive zone time dropped, their defensive zone time went up, exploiting the Blues defence, and when that happens the GA suffers.

Elliott was OK, but the way the Kings are playing, the Blues or any team for that matter, need much better than just OK goaltending to have a chance..
I can't see Elliott with the Blues next year they need someone who can carry the load and Elliott can't.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:53 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I can't see Elliott with the Blues next year they need someone who can carry the load and Elliott can't.
I hear there is guy named Halak that is available.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:56 AM
KarlSen

Quote:
He was signed for 2 years at $1.8m per year. Halak is signed at $3.something and will be the main guy.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:02 AM
operasen

Andersson, Bishop and Lehner has us strong at the moment. We do not need a 4th guy. We need a young draftee at some point to back up in Binghamton for a few years before being No1 in Binghamton for a few years. (And I doubt a Malcolm Subban would be content with that role - 4 or 5 years in the AHL while Lehner moves up).

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:06 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny On the Right View Post
He was signed for 2 years at $1.8m per year. Halak is signed at $3.something and will be the main guy.
Yes but you still need someone who can carry the load when your number one gets hurt.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:32 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Yes but you still need someone who can carry the load when your number one gets hurt.
Look at New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington, Boston, Phoenix, Nashville, Los Angeles and St. Louis.

Not only did Elliott have one of the best GAA in history, but as a backup, he would rate either 1 or 2 right now, depending on how you view Rask. Elliott had one terrible game, and his offense didn't really help much either.

Most of these teams have terrible backup goalies or mediocre goalies(who are ok backups) at best. Blaming the backup doesn't make a lot of sense in my opinion.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:33 AM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Look at New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington, Boston, Phoenix, Nashville, Los Angeles and St. Louis.

Not only did Elliott have one of the best GAA in history, but as a backup, he would rate either 1 or 2 right now, depending on how you view Rask. Elliott had one terrible game, and his offense didn't really help much either.

Most of these teams have terrible backup goalies or mediocre goalies(who are ok backups) at best. Blaming the backup doesn't make a lot of sense in my opinion.
Correction: he had two bad games. At the worst possible moment. It's vintage Ells.

05-07-2012, 12:10 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

He should not get all the blame but he should get most a fair bit.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:30 PM
2Cowen

Didn't Elliot have a tendency to never put blame on himself after a tough start in net while he was in Ottawa?

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:33 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:

Down 2-0 in a series and he puts on a beer-league level performance in Game 3 to sink his team. That's Brian Elliott.

He is a very good back-up. That is all he is, and all he ever will be. Believing that he can carry the load as a 1B is foolish. He benefited from playing behind Hitchcock, whose goalies always put up inflated numbers. Put Elliott on any of those teams you mentioned and his GAA would be the same as the guy he would replace.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:56 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Down 2-0 in a series and he puts on a beer-league level performance in Game 3 to sink his team. That's Brian Elliott.

He is a very good back-up. That is all he is, and all he ever will be. Believing that he can carry the load as a 1B is foolish. He benefited from playing behind Hitchcock, whose goalies always put up inflated numbers. Put Elliott on any of those teams you mentioned and his GAA would be the same as the guy he would replace.
Sure, my point was most of the teams backup goalies aren't very effective even as a backup. Does Ottawa fear Biron? Chicago fear Labarbera? Elliott at least helped against San Jose.

It really looks like Elliott crumbled under pressure giving up three terrible goals in that one game, but at the same time St. Louis scored 1,2,2,1 goals. Its very hard to win those games, unless your name is Quick or Lundqvist. I know its all in the system, and that Elliott was playing above his head, but in this system, he is FAR better than the others being a backup, and the numbers prove it.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:41 PM
trentmccleary

He was a big, slow blocker who was mentally fragile. He's not a #1 goalie and never will be. He'd be a fine back-up goalie for cheap, but we don't need him right now.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
He was a big, slow blocker who was mentally fragile. He's not a #1 goalie and never will be. He'd be a fine back-up goalie for cheap, but we don't need him right now.
I think the thread stops here. Nothing more to say.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
I'm going to have to disagree, he played more of an athletic style more than anything during his time in Ottawa IMO, kind of reminded me of Belfour at times (although a very very loose comparison obviously as Belfour was an elite NHL goalie through and through).

I'm also kinda surprised every one of our players gets a pass during the Clouston era, but not Elliott. I don't think he will ever be a top 15 starting goalie, but he is a serviceable backup who can steal games if need be on the occasion.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:12 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I'm going to have to disagree, he played more of an athletic style more than anything during his time in Ottawa IMO, kind of reminded me of Belfour at times (although a very very loose comparison obviously as Belfour was an elite NHL goalie through and through).

I'm also kinda surprised every one of our players gets a pass during the Clouston era, but not Elliott. I don't think he will ever be a top 15 starting goalie, but he is a serviceable backup who can steal games if need be on the occasion.
Sorry, as we normally see eye-to-eye on everything goalie-related, but Elliott doesn't steal games. He can play a solid game that allows his team to win the game, but he'll never be the guy to stop 40+ shots to earn a shutout in the playoffs. He's just not mentally tough enough.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Elliott is a back-up, he wasn't signed by the Blues for $1.8M to carry the load.

If long term injuries happen to Halak, it could be a problem, but not many teams in the NHL have a back-up that isn't a downgrade from the #1.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:25 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Sorry, as we normally see eye-to-eye on everything goalie-related, but Elliott doesn't steal games. He can play a solid game that allows his team to win the game, but he'll never be the guy to stop 40+ shots to earn a shutout in the playoffs. He's just not mentally tough enough.
You rarely see backups in the playoffs. Elliott is certainly capable of stealing a regular season game. I think that was more the point PeterSidorkiewicz was making.

05-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Egg

With the up and coming goaltenders soon to come out of Ottawa's system, I really don't feel Elliott would be a good addition.

Its either you upgrade, or you stand pat. You're trying to re-build your team, not implode it.

Pulling in Elliott when you have goaltenders like Lehner who seem to be NHL ready -- at least at a back up role for now, as well as Bishop, Elliott to me seem like a poor move.

Elliott is not the guy you want between the pipes versus a high scoring team that can expose your young defense.

You want someone who will compliment your team's new image, and to me, it is a highly resilient goaltender who goes to battle game in and game out, like it was their last time to shine.

More importantly. A goaltender who comes up big after a loss. Ottawa has this in Anderson, and I strongly believe that is the character makeup of Lehner as well.

Egg is offline   Reply With Quote