HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Barry Trotz needs to be fired

Old
05-07-2012, 07:22 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
David Poile needs to be fired...

Barry Trotz is the best coach in hockey history, but the Preds always have a vastly inferior roster to the other 29 teams. Poile has to go!
That was a disturbingly common attitude ~September.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:26 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I'm eagerly awaiting the correlation of rosters to performance. I seem to have missed us having the Sedins, Kane/Sharp/Toews, Staal/Malkin/Crosby, etc. So ... how much of what success we have had is attributable to Trotz? How much is the players?

It's easy to rant against somebody doing a job that none of us here can do.
Hmm the HABS 2010 roster was nothing special at all and we made the ECF and that still sucks because it isn't a cup. I mean you are looking at a club saddled with the likes of Markov and Gomez and at that time Lapierre and such that is nothing stellar for sure.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:30 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
trotz has more than just an average roster. my point is that everyone seems to say "well, trotz gives us a chance. he gets us to the playoffs every year" ..

13 of 30 nhl teams have made the playoffs since the lockout 5+ times .. 12 of 13 have division titles to their name or conference finals appearances.. we have.... 2 second round appearances.

now i still think we have had great success since the lockout. but we're nothing more than decent.. a little better than average.

trotz has definitely gotten more out of certain rosters. but he has also gotten less out of certain rosters (06,07,12) .. its not out of the question to challenge trotz's position.

those who disagree are either content on what we have accomplished out of fear of change that made lead to the team leaving (missing the playoffs consecutive years) or just straight up love trotz (probable for alot lol)
So getting to the playoffs in 07-08 with the post firesale roster is equivalent to the 2011-12 Canucks with the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows?

For EIGHT years we've had the fire Trotz mantra. Go back to last summer and the first 8-10 weeks of the season when this place was full of nothing but wailing and moaning. Now those very same people are complaining that the team they proclaimed would miss the playoffs and enjoy a lottery pick isn't dominating in this series. The bi polar nature of complaints amazes me.

Trotz sucks, we need to fire him in the first month or two of the season. Oh, wait, he coached the team to the #4 seed? Fire him if he doesn't win it all. If the team wins tonight with the juggled lines, they'll just be a new litany against him tomorrow.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
This used to be a favorite argument w/r/t how many times the Jackets would have made the playoffs by now as well. Not used to seeing it here.
I think for me, the east has had a generally weaker 1-8 lineup than the west and you look at recent "expansion" teams to have won a Cup, 3 of the 4 are from the east, as well as teams like Ottawa and Florida having made it and lost. Same with Carolina before they won. Western counterparts seem to have trouble doing that. Anaheim won and made it in 03 before losing but not much else can be said. San Jose is still trying to make their first final and they're supposed to be awesome every year. I know it has no bearing on anything real, I just think the east is easier to catch fire and make a run.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:35 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Hmm the HABS 2010 roster was nothing special at all and we made the ECF and that still sucks because it isn't a cup. I mean you are looking at a club saddled with the likes of Markov and Gomez and at that time Lapierre and such that is nothing stellar for sure.
Any conference where the Habs could even make the playoffs is weak.

The Habs are in at least a 20 year Cup drought. All of the remaining original ten teams have experienced at least a 39 year Cup drought. If we get eliminated this post season, we'll be at 13 seasons. Sports rarely delivers instant gratification. This isn't the everyone is a winner, all participants get a trophy world. It's the NHL. If you want easy, find something else to watch because this isn't it.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:35 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
So getting to the playoffs in 07-08 with the post firesale roster is equivalent to the 2011-12 Canucks with the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows?

For EIGHT years we've had the fire Trotz mantra. Go back to last summer and the first 8-10 weeks of the season when this place was full of nothing but wailing and moaning. Now those very same people are complaining that the team they proclaimed would miss the playoffs and enjoy a lottery pick isn't dominating in this series. The bi polar nature of complaints amazes me.

Trotz sucks, we need to fire him in the first month or two of the season. Oh, wait, he coached the team to the #4 seed? Fire him if he doesn't win it all. If the team wins tonight with the juggled lines, they'll just be a new litany against him tomorrow.
I agree with most of what you are saying.. people are never satisfied.

but ... do you not agree maybe its time to look at trotz's position? if not, when do you feel is a good time and under what circumstances? just curious

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
And the section you highlighted wasn't just a reference of the players but the entire team, coaches AND players.

But being that the coach has had multiple types of rosters over the years and can't get it done, you can keep the coach and have the same results year in and year out. Sorry if I want more.
where did i state i dont want "more"? of course everyone wants more, im assuming you mean the Cup? Either way we all want more out of our team, even Barry Trotz I just personally believe Trotz is the guy that could take us all the way.

But to shed some light on this.... This season and 2006-07 are the only years where i've felt we've had a team that is capable of doing some damage in the playoffs. We should wait until Barry has a longer sample size of coaching a LEGIT team, kinda like this years.

If we had been a cap team for 13 years spending all sorts of cash and still coming up short, I'd understand and fully agree with all this, but we haven't. We've just emerged from the expansion status and are starting to take that next step. If Trotz can do this with mediocre talent, what can he do with more? We really don't know yet. But we do know he has gotten us to the 2nd round two years in a row. Trotz doesnt have control of his players sticks, and thats the only thing thats kept us from being ahead in this years 2nd round against PHX, the players. I just really dont see this as a coaching problem that our franchise is having. But rather growing pains, that arent that big of a problem.

.........yet

Last edited by CantbeatzPekka: 05-07-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: corrected the seasons
CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
where did i state i dont want "more"? of course everyone wants more, im assuming you mean the Cup? Either way we all want more out of our team, even Barry Trotz I just personally believe Trotz is the guy that could take us all the way.

But to shed some light on this.... This season and 2007-08 are the only years where i've felt we've had a team that is capable of doing some damage in the playoffs. We should wait until Barry has a longer sample size of coaching a LEGIT team, kinda like this years.

If we had been a cap team for 13 years spending all sorts of cash and still coming up short, I'd understand and fully agree with all this, but we haven't. We've just emerged from the expansion status and are starting to take that next step. If Trotz can do this with mediocre talent, what can he do with more? We really don't know yet. But we do know he has gotten us to the 2nd round two years in a row. Trotz doesnt have control of his players sticks, and thats the only thing thats kept us from being ahead in this years 2nd round against PHX, the players. I just really dont see this as a coaching problem that our franchise is having. But rather growing pains, that arent that big of a problem.

.........yet
Just curious, do you mean 06-07? That was the Forsberg team. 07-08 was the post-Balsillie 8th seed year.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:43 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
I agree with most of what you are saying.. people are never satisfied.

but ... do you not agree maybe its time to look at trotz's position? if not, when do you feel is a good time and under what circumstances? just curious
I've repeatedly said that replacing Trotz is an option, just not the knee jerk that we always see here. When he doesn't make changes, we rant. When he does make changes, we rant. When he loses the team, he goes. When the players and/or staff lose confidence in him, he goes. I don't see the indicators of those happening yet.

When he's getting teams that the fans write off from the preseason through November to the #4 seed, his message isn't stale yet. When we're taking the Wings out in five games and involved in a series where it's literally a bounce or two across four games as the deciding factor, it's not a coaching issue. As much as we can moan about game 4, the strategy provided what should have been more than enough chances to at least tie it up, and the players missed.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Just curious, do you mean 06-07? That was the Forsberg team. 07-08 was the post-Balsillie 8th seed year.
yup. thats what i get for typing fast

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:51 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Any conference where the Habs could even make the playoffs is weak.

The Habs are in at least a 20 year Cup drought. All of the remaining original ten teams have experienced at least a 39 year Cup drought. If we get eliminated this post season, we'll be at 13 seasons. Sports rarely delivers instant gratification. This isn't the everyone is a winner, all participants get a trophy world. It's the NHL. If you want easy, find something else to watch because this isn't it.
Yes we are in a terrible draught and it blows big time. I am hoping the new management team etc being brought in helps but with drafting of guys like Tinordi has set this team back a good 5 more years atleast.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:20 PM
glenngineer

OK, I'm tired of this....lol. Great fortune cookie for tonight.

To achieve a great goal, one must being with a small achievement.

Here's to winning game 5 tonight.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Predfan4life
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvol View Post
lol. 5 hours ago he was doing the right thing and was praised by everyone. Now he needs to be fired. You people are un****ingbeleivable.
This is the most ridiculous thread.. Fire Trotz? Seriously? He does not need to be fired. I think he's an excellent coach, who took a gamble on what worked in the previous game and lost. Those calling for Trotz's head need to chill out and get over your anger.

Predfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Jarnberg

1-7 in elimination games in the playoffs (yes that includes this year's)

What, 19-31 in the playoffs?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:41 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

So who do we hire?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Keep trotz but he is on a short leash next year. We drop games early, out her goes.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:44 PM
deanwormer

Definitely Trotz's fault that the puck bounces over Rads stick.... or Smith outplays our Vezina candidate.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:16 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Were the last two games failures of strategy or failures of execution? Is Trotz to blame for pucks bouncing over sticks or players shooting wide/high?

Old
05-08-2012, 12:19 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
So who do we hire?
No one. You keep Trotz until a surefire candidate becomes available. I understand the frustration of Preds fans, but I don't really think Trotz got out coached. The Coyotes did well in faceoffs and stuck to their system. If I had to give a reason, from my end it looked like the less-than-committed forwards were undermining the Preds system. I would dump AK, Radulov and if he can't be trusted, SK. Guys like Yip, Halishuck, Smith and Wilson play Predator hockey. Stick with them.

I'm not sure why Wilson only played in 3 of the games. If you guys don't want him, we'll gladly take him in Phoenix.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:25 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Definitely Trotz's fault that the puck bounces over Rads stick.... or Smith outplays our Vezina candidate.
This. Smith is the main reason this series still isn't going on. He played better than Pekka.

The main problem I had with Trotz over the playoff was to force Fisher-SK until he was totally desperate. Fix the problem before you are desperate. They have been playing TERRIBLE offensively for 20 games. We have plenty of guys who could've step into SK's place and gave us a better chance.

I also likely do not agere with the decision to bench AK & A-Rad in game 4, though I'd like to know the exact facts.

But no, he should not be fired.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:00 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
This. Smith is the main reason this series still isn't going on. He played better than Pekka.

The main problem I had with Trotz over the playoff was to force Fisher-SK until he was totally desperate. Fix the problem before you are desperate. They have been playing TERRIBLE offensively for 20 games. We have plenty of guys who could've step into SK's place and gave us a better chance.

I also likely do not agere with the decision to bench AK & A-Rad in game 4, though I'd like to know the exact facts.

But no, he should not be fired.
My gripes about Trotz in this series...

Agreed with Fisher-SK. I think that line worked for a lot of the season...then it went stale. Splitting them up earlier would've been a good decision. In the Detroit series, I could understand Fisher on the top line, because I think his primary role was keeping Datsyuk in check, not scoring goals. SK plain didn't look like a first liner in these playoffs. He made a few heady defensive plays...but that was about the extent of it. I would've dropped him to the third line.

My other big complaint: Brandon Yip. Yes, he plays hard. He plays the Trotz way. But he's not perfect. How did he manage to play in all 10 games? I think rotating Halischuk, Tootoo, Smith, and yes, Colin Wilson, from the beginning would've been the right move. Keep the guys hungry. Yip did not play poorly...but other guys deserved a chance. And Yip on the power play? What in the holy **** was that? Gaustad (who only played on the PP in this last game -- at the end) makes sense...because he can win you a draw and then head to the net. But Yip? That's the definition of just putting a body out there.

In hindsight, I do think he sat Colin Wilson for too long...and Wilson wasn't really able to get moving until the end. But perhaps both him and Wilson will learn something from this. If Wilson gives the effort next season, Trotz should reward him by playing him alongside Erat. If he can adopt a true center role, and play defense as a center, he could anchor one of the top 2 lines. Just learn to give the effort you have in the past few games in every game. Erat-Wilson-Radulov could have a lot of potential.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Master Shake

Pittsburgh and Nashville should swap coaches for a couple of years. Would probably face each other in the Finals.

In all seriousness its hard being a coach in the NHL these days and having any sort of longterm success. Id stay the course one more year. You guys just ran into a hot team right now. The dogs are alot better than people think.

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:33 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
No one. You keep Trotz until a surefire candidate becomes available. I understand the frustration of Preds fans, but I don't really think Trotz got out coached. The Coyotes did well in faceoffs and stuck to their system. If I had to give a reason, from my end it looked like the less-than-committed forwards were undermining the Preds system. I would dump AK, Radulov and if he can't be trusted, SK. Guys like Yip, Halishuck, Smith and Wilson play Predator hockey. Stick with them.

I'm not sure why Wilson only played in 3 of the games. If you guys don't want him, we'll gladly take him in Phoenix.
I'm not on the "Fire Trotz" team, so I agree

My question was a challenge for discussion. If we fire Trotz, who do we hire? Why? What can we expect to change? Are those changes improvements?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:09 AM
TobagganCrackle
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
OK, I'm tired of this....lol. Great fortune cookie for tonight.

To achieve a great goal, one must being with a small achievement.

Here's to winning game 5 tonight.
Dude seriously.....Your stupid fortune cookie was bad karma.

TobagganCrackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:54 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobagganCrackle View Post
Dude seriously.....Your stupid fortune cookie was bad karma.
Sure it was. How about the inability to win crucial faceoffs or bury chances was the problem? How about a team that plays their system to a tee.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote