HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Game Plan: Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Smart coach's go out of there way to develop a workable relationship with there top players . If you think we'll get a kid like MD on the cheap because a no name coach like Sacco may have a problem with him then your dreaming .

MD isn't a flawed player and he'll be at least a 60 plus point , 3 zone player for years to come . Also , if the Avs don't make the playoffs next year Sacco may be gone anyway .
ummm...HUH???????

I didn't say what I think. And I certainly wouldn't suggest we, or anyone would be able to 'get him on the cheap'. Where did that hallucination emerge from?? I said that there has been discussion about the fit between coach and player, and that O reilly and Stastny are making it tough for Dutch to warrant the minutes. If Sacco (no name??????????) is getting results with everyone else, its tough to make a case for chasing him out of COL., especially if the team can recoup assets for Duchene that aid them going forward.

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2012/4...f-matt-duchene

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 06:35 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
ummm...HUH???????

I didn't say what I think. And I certainly wouldn't suggest we, or anyone would be able to 'get him on the cheap'. Where did that hallucination emerge from?? I said that there has been discussion about the fit between coach and player, and that O reilly and Stastny are making it tough for Dutch to warrant the minutes. If Sacco (no name??????????) is getting results with everyone else, its tough to make a case for chasing him out of COL., especially if the team can recoup assets for Duchene that aid them going forward.

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2012/4...f-matt-duchene
You said in a previous post you'd have mixed feelings about even offering the 5th and Kadri . I don't see the Avs even giving that offer a second thought never mind entertaining the thought of a lesser offer .

Who gives a crap about how Sacco gets along with MD . Sacco might not last through next year regardless of whether or not he's buddies with him .

The Avs are not going to deal MD because his upside is much higher than either O'Reilly or PS and they're certainly not going to deal him for a pkg of parts . While the 5th is an attractive trade chip i have a hard time believing the Avs would want to go that route considering they already traded there 1st for this years draft last summer . The Avs seem to want to try to win sooner rather than later and i could see them dealing PS to try to accomplish that goal

Last edited by hotpaws: 05-07-2012 at 10:10 PM.
hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:25 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
its not his team its the one cull put up on the site.
It was directing at him but the breakdown of the team that he posted. I know it's not his vision. It was just my opinion on their suggestion

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:08 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
And they don't explain anything. For example, the part about Getzlaf having one year on his deal and how it could complicate a deal...where is he coming up with that? A little depth to the article would be nice.
There is a risk associated with trading value for a player who could potentially walk after one year.

Sure the leafs could make the offer, but getzlaf may want to go elsewhere. I believe that's the complication that is referred to.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

I know everyone likes the idea of that #1 centre, but the Leafs were in the top ten in goals for this past season, and they were second last in goals against. They have the offence to be a playoff team, it's the goaltending and defence that needs to be rebuilt.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
I know everyone likes the idea of that #1 centre, but the Leafs were in the top ten in goals for this past season, and they were second last in goals against. They have the offence to be a playoff team, it's the goaltending and defence that needs to be rebuilt.
Absolutely.

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:27 PM
HenryH

Leafs still need a top C that can play a great 2 way game that can win battles and not get pushed around to reduce the amount of goals let in from the top line.

HenryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I understand it would be a great thing to get those players as parts of our future but there are more risks with prospects than there are with players that have established them or to some what. Even if Duchene has had an injury filled season last year, the year before he produced on level with par of John Tavares. Now we both know we can't get him, and people know I'm a big tavares homer, so as much as we wish it ain't happening.

Do I think it's possible of happening? Not really. Do I think it would be good? I can live with it.

It will be interesting to see what happens because sherman has a TON of cap space and a lot of players to sign, as he only has 8 players returning for next season.

In the end of the day we are hoping that the forsberg, galchenyuk or grigorenko turn out to be a player like Duchene, Tavares/Malkin, & Stamkos right? Hence I am more open minded towards a trade as such.
I think my issue with a trade like that is a) we have to add a whole lot more, and the relative "certainty" of a Duchene over the pick is not worth that b) there might be something wrong with a player if their team is willing to give up on them for a future asset. We'll call it the Raycroft effect and c) Three years of ELC service on our own prospect.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I would mind that at all, I bet Stastny would thrive here in a more prominent role.
I don't get the love for Stastny- people say Nash is over-rated, Stastny got 50 something points last couple of years, he's not all that quick and makes 6.5 million.
He really is suited to be a number 2 center.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:31 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
I don't get the love for Stastny- people say Nash is over-rated, Stastny got 50 something points last couple of years, he's not all that quick and makes 6.5 million.
He really is suited to be a number 2 center.
The passes he would feed Lupul and Kessel with (they can both finish, Phil with the best of them) would make him a #1 centre here. Look at Chris Stewart's numbers with Stastny as his centre. Stastny makes GREAT passes on a constant basis, with Hejduk on the decline, no one has any finish.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
You said in a previous post you'd have mixed feelings about even offering the 5th and Kadri . I don't see the Avs even giving that offer a second thought never mind entertaining the thought of a lesser offer .

Who gives a crap about how Sacco gets along with MD . Sacco might not last through next year regardless of whether or not he's buddies with him .

The Avs are not going to deal MD because his upside is much higher than either O'Reilly or PS and they're certainly not going to deal him for a pkg of parts . While the 5th is an attractive trade chip i have a hard time believing the Avs would want to go that route considering they already traded there 1st for this years draft last summer . The Avs seem to want to try to win sooner rather than later and i could see them dealing PS to try to accomplish that goal

Well then I guess 'on the cheap' becomes a matter of perspective. A top 5 pick plus Kadri may or may not seem cheap if you're COL, but if you're TOR, its a fortune.

Tough to argue that a team wanting to win now moves Stastny, who plays a more effective game at this point.

Whats your speculation re: Sacco's tenure based on? He's been able to get the most out of Landeskog, OReilly, Stastny, and others. Why would he be in danger of being moved?? Because Duchene is not responding??? Doubt it...

Last edited by Durkin67: 05-08-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:43 AM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

If we draft Gally, then I have two targets for the Leafs: Tim Thomas and Joe Thornton/Patrick Marleau. One of the big centers should be available and Thomas is likely done in Boston. Most teams looking for a long term goalie will not look at Thomas because he is UFA after this year, but that is exactly what we need. A guy who can come in and play 45-50 games and allow Reimer to develop.

If San Jose does make some philosophical changes to their core, than one of the big two will be traded, and Burke will be involved. Thornton should be the prime target as he can show Colborne how to play with a big body.

Getting those two should solve all of our problems (aside from the cap issues implicated, but that is a different story).

This allows Gally to play a full year in the OHL and hopefully injury free. It also gives Colborne one more year with the Marlies.

Lupul - Thornton - Kessel
Kadri - Grabo - Kulemin / Frattin
Mcarthur - Bozak - Frattin / Kulemin
Marcel Mueller - Steckel - Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Schenn - Gardiner
Liles - Holzer
Franson

Thomas
Reimer

Hardest part will not be acquiring Timmy and Joe, but trading LACK to get the cap space required. I also have no idea what we would trade for them both so I did not remove anyone from the lineup. I can see Franson and Mac traded in a deal for Thornton, maybe one of our goalie prospects (Rynnas or Scrivens) + a pick and prospect for Thomas.

Last edited by TheKingSlayer: 05-08-2012 at 04:51 AM.
TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote