HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Expansion to Europe? Good or Bad?

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Expansion to Europe? Good or Bad?

Rds analyst Yvon Pednault said that it would be interesting for the NHL to expand into Europe and take advantage of the Market over year and it would make for interesting games and maybe more offense from the Russians side.

What do you guys thing?
Avg Omsk becomes a Nhl team?
and there is also lots of countries to take advantage like Russian, Czech, Finland, Sweden and with bigger ice surface, you would have lots of exciting games and more thrilling to the final game playoff run.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:20 PM
JOCA

Send a message via ICQ to JOCA Send a message via AIM to JOCA
Great idea and all but that's too far to travel.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

I say bad idea. The league dosen't need to expand more IMO.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:24 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
how would trans continental away games work? not good, maybe more canadien teams, more investment in hockey and a seperate conference, but i dont think the NHL needs to expand.

and thats coming from a guy who would LOVE to see european NHL, but realistically, its stupid.

bad bad bad.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:28 PM
guinness
those were the days

Neat idea, but the logistics would make it next to impossible, unless the NHL subsidized some old Concordes for the teams to use. East coast players complain about playing western road trips as it is, flying from California to Europe, etc would be brutal.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:29 PM
Teemu

Bad idea. First, the players are already spead thin as is, but also the travel costs would be insane for a sport that doesnt make a very large income

Old
11-21-2003, 04:31 PM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
It's like anything else, it depends how it would be implemented. If they make a system that is similar to the MLB's, with two separate leagues facing themselves only during the playoffs and, maybe, on intra-league games, it is possible. If they keep the current schedule, it wouldn't be too efficient.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
awful idea.

Travel costs would be killer. Not to mention customs isues.

Old
11-21-2003, 05:44 PM
c-carp

Not just bad horrible.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

It'd be very cool to see more European talent, different styles of play, and games on larger rinks. But who are we kidding? Traveling from LA to Norilsk? I don't think so.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:24 PM
dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootOut
If they make a system that is similar to the MLB's, with two separate leagues facing themselves only during the playoffs and, maybe, on intra-league games, it is possible.
This is probably the only way this could work.

Teams going to Europe would have a long roadtrip. Which means longer homestands when they return. Many people don't have the cash to be going to several games in a short amount of time.

Old
11-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Evilo

vCash: 432
No the biggest problem is other.
European players will want to play in Europe.
And will ask to be traded/drafted there, quite logically.
Also given the problem's with different economics (US/Canada), you'd have to add problems with Russia's, Sweden's, Finland's, Czech Republic's, etc...
Quite complicated.

Old
11-22-2003, 03:51 AM
Tyler

Lets see Winnipeg and Quebec City get teams back in their cities before we go out and incorporate a Stokholm or a Prague team, mmmkay?

Old
11-22-2003, 04:34 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The idea of expanding the league to have teams in Europe is laughable due to so many reasons that many of you have already mentioned.

BUT... I think a way they can expand to Europe, which they have done already, is play a few games over in different European countries every other season. That way the league can globalize and hopefully gain some more interest in an international level.

There is a lot of international appeal, and I think this is a more of a possibility. Of course it can't be a regular thing but maybe early on in a season they can plan it and have a few teams play some games.

But I think the NHL might want to focus on trying to figure out how to gain national exposure in North America first.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:47 AM
jacketracket*

I'd much rather see the NHL shore up the Canadian presence---deal w/the exchange-rate issues and return to proven markets, like Quebec, Winnipeg,.....

Old
11-22-2003, 06:51 AM
TelperiŽn

No.

Interesting concept but I just can't see it working (travel costs, distance, nationalities, etc.).

Old
11-22-2003, 07:03 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
No, no and no.

And this as an european.
Totally agree there. I would like to see a Swedish-Finnish-Norwegian-Danish pro hockey league though. And why not a central european pro league?

Old
11-23-2003, 06:46 AM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
Totally agree there. I would like to see a Swedish-Finnish-Norwegian-Danish pro hockey league though. And why not a central european pro league?
For the expansion: ABSOLUTELY NO!

And the "Scandinavian" league: Not a bad idea, but it is only possible when there are equal amount of teams in both league, because 2 games versus each is too much. It should be 1 game versus every team. It is too hard to play as much games as NHL. I think that Finnish teams should train more and play less - That is how the skilled players are made.

EDIT: I mean only Finnish-Swedish leagues with the Scandinavian league. There are too less good teams in Norweigian or Danish leagues.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:00 AM
Masao

Maybe in the future there will be a "World Hockey League," consisted of about 100 teams from all over the world.

Of course, technology would have to evolve a lot... for example, the Concorde's speed across the atlantic would have to become the norm for new brands of airplanes, etc. But it would be interesting if all the hockey in the world would be grouped in one association.

Think...

The World Hockey League would be called the 1st division. Then, the 2nd division would be the equivalent of the AHL, the 3rd division maybe something like the ECHL... then there would be the junior teams... everything standardized throughout the world. It could be a great hockey empire!

Old
11-23-2003, 08:17 AM
Kirk Muller*

I think it would be 'neat', but that there's still a long way to go.

The most important question is that of whether Europeans would actually have any interest in a hockey team.

So I ask Europeans: Are you interested in an NHL team ? Could your city support one ?

Old
11-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Yeah!

Old
11-23-2003, 10:51 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
League could have 3 outdoor games a yr in major hoockey markets that can fill 50 + plus arenas

This allwos them to cut 4 games of the schedual without a loss

thus making travel to europe fesiable

Old
11-23-2003, 04:55 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Two words - logistically impossible.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:15 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki
For the expansion: ABSOLUTELY NO!

And the "Scandinavian" league: Not a bad idea, but it is only possible when there are equal amount of teams in both league, because 2 games versus each is too much. It should be 1 game versus every team. It is too hard to play as much games as NHL. I think that Finnish teams should train more and play less - That is how the skilled players are made.

EDIT: I mean only Finnish-Swedish leagues with the Scandinavian league. There are too less good teams in Norweigian or Danish leagues.
My idea was that Oslo and Copenhagen are big enough to support a professional team. I was only thinking of the economical side of it and I also believe Norway and Denmark each has talent to put in a small core of native player in each countrys team. Norway has Espen Knutsen and Denmark has a number of decent talents like Kim Staal and Franz Nielsen. But of course, the main part of the players in each of those teams would of course be from other countrys.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:04 PM
degroat*

The NHLPA would never allow it.

If it would, then it would only work if there was two equal size conferences that only faced each other in the postseason.

Closed Thread