HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
We should flood the inboxes of those Canadian announcers that got such enjoyment out of the hit with the article RangerBoy posted. It's nauseating, really.

My guess a long time ago was that his career could be over, but I'm really hoping to do what my username says and see him lace them up again. Get better Mike.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

I was angry at the time and even moreso now at the lack of retaliation against Phaneuf. Somebody should have pounded him into the ground.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
I was angry at the time and even moreso now at the lack of retaliation against Phaneuf. Somebody should have pounded him into the ground.
This so much. Someone needs to give this clown a beating.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:13 PM
HenrikO'doyle

This is absolutely horrible news and I really hope this guy gets his career on track. But come on Phaneuf's hit was clean, we would drool if our defensemen threw hits like that and we cant wait for mcilrath to come and do the exact same thing. Its nothing to do with being disrespectful its just playing hard old-school hockey. I hate to say it but sauer had his head down, I really hope he can make a comeback from this however we need him back there.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:15 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Yes. Attack him for a clean hit. This makes sense.

RANGERS =
Old
05-07-2012, 09:18 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I've said for a while that this may be a career ender. Starting to look that way.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:22 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Feel bad for the guy. He was just getting started. Hopefully, time can make the difference.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Feel bad for the guy. He was just getting started. Hopefully, time can make the difference.
I'm not going to expect him to ever play again. If the guy can get his life back on track, that'd be great. Then we can maybe see him start skating towards the end of the next year and maybe play the year after (if that).

Old
05-07-2012, 10:17 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
It makes a lot of sense. Intimidation is part of the game. There should be consequences when guys like Phaneuf take runs at our players. Perhaps he'll think twice if he's scared of getting jumped.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:35 PM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Yeah. What a F'in Jack A$$ that color guy is. Every time I watch that replay, I appreciate Sam & Joe more. If you contrast the way the leafs broadcaster crowed about Sauer getting wiped out to how Sam & Joe handle similar situations the Leafs guys really wind up in the minus column.

Sam and Joe always express a concern for the player. Even when that player may have had it coming. The Orr vs Fedoruk fight is a good example. Fedoruk had taken some liberties with Rangers players and Orr certainly evened the score, but Sam and Joe immediately expressed concern for the hockey player and that he would be OK.

At this point, all you can hope for is that Sauer will be able to have a normal life.
Is there some kind of insurance for carierstopping injuries?

Old
05-07-2012, 10:36 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Is there some kind of insurance for carierstopping injuries?
Yep. He will be OK if he retires.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:42 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Boy, must have been a really really bad concussion.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
I don't see him coming back next year.

I remember all the doctors on this forum were writing that Staal won't be back this year or won't be back until the trading deadline at the earliest.

How about people who aren't medical doctors who treat concussions who had a chance to medically examine Sauer stop giving us their diagnosis.

You have no clue what you are saying. You may be right, but that's only because a broken clock is right some time per day also. You have no way to gauge whether or not Sauer will be back next year.

He can have his symptoms for as much as another half a year, or even more, and still come back at some point next season. Potentially, if his symptoms went away in 2-3 months, he'd be back by the season opener. I don't know if this can happen, but you don't know that it cannot.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:54 PM
bouds

Thanks for the update, truly feel sorry for him.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:29 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I appreciate any information from Giannone and Cerny but frankly I will wait for an update directly from the team. When I spoke to Kurt Sauer's wife in January she told me that Mike was just about ready to go. Obviously he's had a major setback but hopefully it is not career threatening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sauer is in terrible shape. .
Ranger Boy...Your words or theirs?

Old
05-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Terrible news...I just hope he gets well, forget hockey. That is no way to live everyday. Really wanted a third pair of sauer and erixon next season, but I dont think we are going to see sauer next year. Id keep stralman though for a camp invite and hopefully we can get this schultz kid. Get well mike.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:11 AM
XLJ

Wow that is awful news. At this point the game is secondary you just hope he will make a full recovery health wise.

Old
05-08-2012, 07:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I appreciate any information from Giannone and Cerny but frankly I will wait for an update directly from the team. When I spoke to Kurt Sauer's wife in January she told me that Mike was just about ready to go. Obviously he's had a major setback but hopefully it is not career threatening.

Ranger Boy...Your words or theirs?
They didn't use the words "terrible shape". Cerny said Sauer is not doing very good. He can't attend games because of the concussion. Giannone added Sauer is not close to returning since he can't train or do anything. He needs to be symptom free.

Its been six months since Sauer suffered the concussion. Everyone wondered why Sauer disappeared and doesn't even attend the games. Staal attended the games. Sauer can't attend the games because of the concussion. He hasn't been around the team since mid to late January. Its May 8 today.

You would think there would be some improvement in those six months. Cerny and Giannone painted a tough road ahead for Sauer. Camp opens up in 4 months.

Old
05-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
They didn't use the words "terrible shape". Cerny said Sauer is not doing very good. He can't attend games because of the concussion. Giannone added Sauer is not close to returning since he can't train or do anything. He needs to be symptom free.

Its been six months since Sauer suffered the concussion. Everyone wondered why Sauer disappeared and doesn't even attend the games. Staal attended the games. Sauer can't attend the games because of the concussion. He hasn't been around the team since mid to late January. Its May 8 today.

You would think there would be some improvement in those six months. Cerny and Giannone painted a tough road ahead for Sauer. Camp opens up in 4 months.
forget about hockey, i just hope this kid can live a normal life

Old
05-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

I heard yesterday that he wasnt even OK to attend games at this point... I do not expect him to ever play again, just hope he will be OK enough to live a normal life.
Very sad

Old
05-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I don't know, its a real reckless hit.

Its certainly not a "hockey hit". Even less so then like Downie's hit on, who was it now for Ottawa, that got him suspended 25 games. At the speed of the game today, if you skate around like a nut looking to find someone not prepaired to take a hit, you will find a victim sooner or later. Nobody can protect themselves from all angles 60 minutes per game. Players who in those situations really look to make all the damage they possibly can, just won't get much respect from me atleast.

I mean, if Phaneuf catches a forward of guard skating up ice with the puck, I don't care much if a hit is a tad high or whatever. If there are arms involved. Its hockey. If you skate up ice with the puck, you should be prepaired to take a hit.

But these hits were the puck is bouncing, a player already is basically involved with a player on the other team, and another guy comes in at full speed and just destroys someone -- when those hits are okey, you put players in a position were anyone in the league can be seriouly hurt without having a chance to defend themselves. Look at just about any battle along the boards on the ice, and basically none of the players involved would be prepaired to take a hit from a player coming in at absolute full speed from their blind side. Phaneuf hit Sauer in that situation.

Old
05-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

What troubles me more is that Mike is one of the nicest guys I've ever met, definitely the nicest celebrity. Most players rush through signing for the players, after our last game of the season last year, he comes out, signs for every single person and then asks if he missed anybody. 100% class act.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Vitto79

hey guys can someone post links or quiots to how Sauer is doing? I keep reading he's still bad. Man that sucks. Hope the guy gets healthy for himself. Would love him on the 3rd pair with Erixon next yr of course

Regardless Rangers resign Stralman and even Bickel as RFA's , let Eminger walk and just go wtih the same D as they have now plus Erixon who should be ready and bigger

McDonaugh, Girardi
Staal, Del Zotto
Erixon, Stralman
Bickel
Pray Sauer is ok at some point during the yr
McIlrath 1st call up from CT

Old
05-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

What worries me reading this is, it sounds eerily similar to Beukeboom. We all know how that turned out. That said:

The above article was dated January 17th. Have the Rangers told him to bag it? Stay home or can he really not attend games? If he is still that bad off it was a catastrophic concussion. It takes a full year + for nerve cells to regenerate......ugh

Old
05-08-2012, 10:26 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Joe Bowen and Greg Millen do Leafs games for Rogers. They have to pander to a losing fan base, so when a guy delivers a hit, he gets old school and freaks out.

Clean hit by Phaneuf but Rangers should have retalited in force the next game.

Closed Thread