HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux suspended for one game

Old
05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Flyerfan52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeClairSlapper93 View Post
I'm really tired of the inconsistency in this league. I'm disappointed that Giroux got suspended, but I'm not disagreeing with the ruling. But please, can we get some damn consistency? I mean, Weber drove Zetterberg's head into the boards and only got a weak fine. Shanahan is an absolute stiff.

With that said, the Flyers task doesn't get any easier, but they're still a talented team with a lot of depth. I'm not giving up on them until the clock hits zero. Hell, if the Devils can beat us without Kovalchuk, and the Penguins can do the same without Neal, then why can't we beat the Devils without Giroux? I think this series is still far from over.
I have to agree. With Campbell gone were were hoping for more consistent rulings & Shanny looked like he had the credibility to do it. That quickly went out the window.
I was hoping G wouldn't be suspended but had a gut feeling he'd get a 1 game.
I hope the Flyers are POed & come out with all guns firing in front of the home crowd.
We got ourselves in this hole where 1 loss is 1 too many with Giroux in the lineup so need to prolong it in hopes his return leads us to the next 2 wins.
I'm too invested in this franchise to give up unless we have 4 losses in the series.
Tomorrow this team shows us what they're made of & I believe they are up to the task.

Go Flyers!

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:10 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
pretty ridiculous. sorry to hear. giroux is a boss. shanny and the league with the inconsistent stupid suspensions again. ovi jumps and gets nothing. neal headhunts 2 guys in a row and gets 1 game. carkner goes bertuzzi on boyle and gets nothing. webber goes wwe on zetts and gets a fine... great job nhl.

do me a favor and win the next 3. i don't want to play the devils next round-- and NOBODY wants to see devils/caps
That's it I mean I think we are all just seeking consistency and I do believe that if Weber got a game or something for his first offense, we would be seeing less suspend able hits bc of the precedence it would have set. Instead, there is no precedence, no one knows what's what and if you get the gate. It's all relative these days

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Tim Tebow

Shanahan is an inconsistent idiot but Claude Giroux deserved it. He looked like a baby throwing a tantrum because things weren't going his way and finished it off with a classless dirty play.

Hopefully him and the rest of the Flyers get the message and start playing hockey. I am so sick of watching teams throw these hissy fits. Naturally Boston, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver did it this year also and all lost while they were busy throwing those tantrums.

As a Flyers fan I had to tip my cap to the Devils last night and nights before. Embarrassing display by the Flyers and Giroux on this. I really hope this behavior ends here.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
We always talk about how much scoring/forward depth the team has. Well, it's time to prove it.

Mr Black is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Is there really a DEPARTMENT of player safety? I mean it seems to me like a dictator saying he has a parliament or some other representative governing body?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Shanahan is an inconsistent idiot but Claude Giroux deserved it. He looked like a baby throwing a tantrum because things weren't going his way and finished it off with a classless dirty play.

Hopefully him and the rest of the Flyers get the message and start playing hockey. I am so sick of watching teams throw these hissy fits. Naturally Boston, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver did it this year also and all lost while they were busy throwing those tantrums.

As a Flyers fan I had to tip my cap to the Devils last night and nights before. Embarrassing display by the Flyers and Giroux on this. I really hope this behavior ends here.
It actually seemed like he was pissed about no call on the Devil who (according to Shanahan) "finished him with a clean hit" (hands to the head, no less lol) and took out his frustration with a supposed "illegal hit to the head." So it was legal to hit Giroux in the head but illegal for Giroux to (supposedly) hit someone in the head. I use "supposedly" because, simply, from one angle it looks like he completely misses him and he jerks his head back and another angle it looks like he may have. That's the equivalent of walking up behind someone polishing an Emmy and assuming he's jerking off. Funny though that, let's say Giroux did lay a hit to the head, his hit equals the same amount of games Neal got for running around like a clown and obviously and purposely going after heads.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:17 PM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

G deserved it he hit Zub clearly in the head, you can't dispute that, I honestly don't know what is a suspension and what isn't anymore, the league is in shambles with all these inconsistant suspensions and the way the games are being called, I understand he is the Flyers best player, but you can't hit someone in the head like that

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:17 PM
StandingCow

Hopefully flyers can use this as some sort of rallying cry... it's our only hope.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Hopefully flyers can use this as some sort of rallying cry... it's our only hope.
No, sorry...

^^ is our only hope.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:45 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
No, sorry...

^^ is our only hope.
lol, I DID think of star wars when I typed that too...

Old
05-07-2012, 11:27 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
G deserved it he hit Zub clearly in the head, you can't dispute that, I honestly don't know what is a suspension and what isn't anymore, the league is in shambles with all these inconsistant suspensions and the way the games are being called, I understand he is the Flyers best player, but you can't hit someone in the head like that
it's complete bs compared to other star player treatment...and there has been clear star player treatment these playoffs... ovechkin and neal launch themselves at players heads and it's "making a defensive play". Malkin got away with 3 headshots in the last series and there were no repercussions. I don't agree with it, but there is clear favoritism towards stars that should of been continued with giroux if they wanted to be consistent...i would 100% agree with the suspension if shanahan did the same for every headshot this postseason but he hasn't and has failed miserably at his job...

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:36 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
He should have gotten suspended but it is surprising because he is a star player and its his first offense. Malkin did about the same thing to Grossmann and got nothing. Inconsistent, but still the suspension should have happened.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
That was the worst "hit to the head" suspension yet. If I cared about the Flyers, I'd be furious. It doesn't matter what Giroux did prior to the hit, the act itself was nothing.

The NHL has finally gone from, "It was a disgusting, blindside hit, but technically legal." To, "He grazed him, and he fell down. He's suspended for being careless!"

Too little, too late and now they're overcompensating. It still reeks of their overall ineptitude for the past twenty years.

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid McGoiter View Post
The NHL has finally gone from, "It was a disgusting, blindside hit, but technically legal." To, "He grazed him, and he fell down. He's suspended for being careless!"
That sums up my feelings pretty well. It's like they are trying to overcompensate to please the media so they don't get bad press. Unfortunately it seems like this is only getting more bad press for their inconsistency.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That sums up my feelings pretty well. It's like they are trying to overcompensate to please the media so they don't get bad press. Unfortunately it seems like this is only getting more bad press for their inconsistency.
the way I look at it is this way, if a star player does something remotely close to this in the next 2 rounds of the playoffs and gets nothing than Ill be irate. Than I know it is time to stop paying attention to the NHL until Shannabanned is canned.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

It's pretty annoying that based on precedent from this offseason, this hit could easily have been a 1 game suspension, a fine, nothing, or not even a glance from the league. Just from what we've seen in the last month alone, there are precedents that make each result equally correct. That's just a mess. Giroux is certainly in the wrong here, but Shanahan really needs to make it clear what is allowed and what isn't. The Giroux suspension doesn't bother me nearly as much as the current state of league discipline; Giroux's actions are his own fault. The league's actions have a wider effect.

05-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
No, sorry...

^^ is our only hope.
Dang, Jagr's beard sure went gray in a hurry.

The suspension is a sham IMO. Dumb play by Giroux though.

Not much has fundamentally changed since Mario called the NHL a "garage league."

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:04 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
It's pretty annoying that based on precedent from this offseason, this hit could easily have been a 1 game suspension, a fine, nothing, or not even a glance from the league. Just from what we've seen in the last month alone, there are precedents that make each result equally correct. That's just a mess. Giroux is certainly in the wrong here, but Shanahan really needs to make it clear what is allowed and what isn't. The Giroux suspension doesn't bother me nearly as much as the current state of league discipline; Giroux's actions are his own fault. The league's actions have a wider effect.
I dont think I have anything to add to this at all. Thats the thing that ticks me off the most. Similar hits to Giroux arent even looked at. Similar hits have got more then a game or just a fine. There is little known how Shanahan goes about his business on coming up with some of these decisions. The Weber and Carkner incidents come to mind that were missed on big time.
Giroux made a stupid hit and deserved to get suspended. In the end I dont have a problem with it. Its just frustrating that we dont know how these decisions are made.
Maybe we can hope the NHLPA and the owners talk about this this summer because clearly the process is still broken/not working.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Danglous

I dont think he should have been suspended. He closed his eyes and looked away as he was making the hit. He just wanted to hit Zubrus hard, not hurt him.

Call me crazy but I think this may be a good thing. Without Giroux, each Flyer player knows they need to work harder. This, mixed with being on the brink of elimination COULD give these players the spark that they need to win games.

Just win this next one, boys.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:56 AM
clumping platelets

Sabres fan here.......I agree with the suspension and the fact it was worthy of such. My question is: I saw the replay of Giroux a few sconds before that hit on Zubrus. He was looking at the ref. I did not see what or if anything happened to him. He then turned and a few seconds later he hit Zubrus.

Sorry, not gonna read 9 pgs. If someone can give me a quick idea of what he was upset about.

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:00 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
Sabres fan here.......I agree with the suspension and the fact it was worthy of such. My question is: I saw the replay of Giroux a few sconds before that hit on Zubrus. He was looking at the ref. I did not see what or if anything happened to him. He then turned and a few seconds later he hit Zubrus.

Sorry, not gonna read 9 pgs. If someone can give me a quick idea of what he was upset about.
Marty played the puck outside the trapazoid.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:49 AM
kimmofan44

i was under the impression that with a clean slate and no inury on the play that a fine was par for the course. i think that the league should have looked at it but for a first offense and no injury i think a suspension for a possible elemination playoff game is a little steep. they say that a playoff game suspension is equal to 3 to 4 regular season game suspension( meaning that the same play in the regular season would have inccured a 4 game penalty. so ask, was this worth a 3 or 4 game suspension during the 82 game season?

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:51 AM
StandingCow

They factored in the "frustration" from the missed call on the otherside of the ice. In fact, without that, the hit alone would have just been a fine.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:54 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Yeah, I have no problem with giving Giroux a suspension for this hit. It's the inconsistency of the league that is the problem. Hopefully they get it together next season instead of just pulling numbers out of a hat.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I have no issue with the suspension in a vacuum, what I do have a problem with is the precedent was already set that he shouldn't have be suspended.

He was made an example to the Flyers for crying about dirty play of the golden boys on that team to our west. No more, no less. The Coward Shanahan gave the same reasoning he did for James Neal, aside from that whole "previous history" thing.

If I were Holmgren, I'd sound off on that, and if I were Ed Snider, I'd tell him I got the tab for it. What use does fining the team who provides your television contract do?

And we still don't know the rules.

Whatever. It's not our year anyways.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote