HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
  #26
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh
 
tigermask48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
TOTALLY misread the 2011 for 12 HAHAHAHAH never mind me I suck ****.
Wouldn't have been suprised me if that happened... Remember this is the Brian Burke that once traded a 2nd round pick for George Parros...

tigermask48 is offline  
Old
01-12-2012, 01:19 PM
  #27
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
to date since 2006 when DL came aboard, drafted and developed these kids. the only THREE forwards that have over 100 games is Simmonds, Lewis and Clifford. from there you have Moller (87), Lokti (42) and Schenn (22). only 21% (6 of 29) forwards drafted in DL's tenure have made it to the NHL at this point (I'm not counting D King's rest stop last year of 6 GP....that is laughable).
This is where you should do some research before blasting DL on his record.

Since 2006, here's a breakdown of forwards drafted by teams, under your criteria:

Anaheim: 1 forward with 100 games (Matt Beleskey). 8/24 played in the NHL (321 games)
Boston: 4 forwards with 100 games (Seguin, Kessel, Marchand, Lucic). 8/23 played in the NHL (1,039 games)
Buffalo: 1 forward with 100 games (Ennis). 6/22 played in the NHL (224 games)
Calgary: 1 forward with 100 games (Backlund). 3/26 played in the NHL (152 games)
Carolina: 2 forwards with 100 games (Skinner, Sutter). 5/17 played in the NHL (502 games played)
Chicago: 2 forwards with 100 games (Kane, Toews). 8/30 played in NHL (773 games)
Colorado: 4 forwards with 100 games (Duchene, Stewart, O'Reilly, Galiardi). 7/19 played in the NHL (858 games)
Columbus: 2 forwards with 100 games (Voracek, Brassard). 10/25 played in the NHL (927 games)
Dallas: 1 forward with 100 games (Benn). 4/22 played in the NHL (234 games)
Detroit: 1 forward with 100 games (Matthias). 6/25 played in the NHL (238 games)
Edmonton: 3 forwards with 100 games (Eberle, Gagner, Paajarvi-Svensson). 10/23 played in the NHL (791 games)
Florida: 1 forward with 100 games (Frolik). 4/28 played in the NHL (424 games played)
Los Angeles: 3 forwards with 100 games (Lewis, Clifford, Simmonds). 7/29 played in NHL (673 games)
Minnesota: 2 forwards with 100 games (Sheppard, Clutterbuck). 6/22 played in the NHL (618 games)
Montreal: 1 forward with 100 games (Pacioretty). 4/21 played in the NHL (261 games)
Nashville: 2 forwards with 100 games (Spaling, Wilson). 7/27 played in the NHL (411 games)
New Jersey: 0 forwards with 100 games. 8/20 played in the NHL (461 games)
New York Islanders: 4 forwards with 100 games (Tavares, Bailey, Martin, Okposo). 9/29 played in the NHL (904 games)
New York Rangers: 2 forwards with 100 games (Anisimov, Stepan). 6/27 played in the NHL (482 games)
Ottawa: 2 forwards with 100 games (Foligno, Smith). 6/26 played in the NHL (549 games)
Philadelphia: 3 forwards with 100 games (Van Riemsdyk, Nodl, Giroux). 9/23 played in NHL (691 games)
Phoenix: 3 forwards with 100 games (Mueller, Turris, Boedker). 6/22 played in the NHL (691 games)
Pittsburgh: 1 forward with 100 games (Staal). 3/17 played in the NHL (485 games)
San Jose: 2 forwards with 100 games (Couture, McGinn). 6/22 played in the NHL (460 games)
St. Louis: 3 forwards with 100 games (Berglund, Eller, Perron). 6/29 played in the NHL (684 games)
Tampa Bay: 1 forward with 100 games (Stamkos). 5/22 played in the NHL (472 games)
Toronto: 3 forwards with 100 games (Tlusty, Kulemin, Stalberg). 6/27 played in the NHL (711 games)
Vancouver: 1 forward with 100 games (Grabner). 3/21 played in the NHL (195 games)
Washington: 2 forwards with 100 games (Backstrom, Johansson). 6/26 played in the NHL (582 games)
Winnipeg/Atlanta: 3 forwards with 100 games (Little, Burmistrov, Kane). 7/25 played in the NHL (636 games played)

Your complaint for only three forwards to play 100 games in the NHL so far under DL's watch is unfounded. So far, only three teams (Boston, New York Islanders and Colorado) have had more than three players drafted since 2006 play more than 100 games, and all three have drafted a player third overall or higher once. Meanwhile 20 teams have two or fewer players drafted since 2006 play 100 games. of those 20, 10 teams have drafted only one player who has played 100 games so far in the NHL and one team (New Jersey) hasn't drafted anyone to reach 100 games in their career (Tedenby is at 99 games though).

So, in terms of drafting players who have reached 100 games in their career so far for forwards, the Kings actually are tied for fourth highest total among all NHL teams.

In terms of percentage to actually reach the NHL, I included every player to actually play even reach the NHL (so I counted King in my totals above for LA for example). The Kings having 7/29 forwards reaching the NHL isn't great but about average, as seen below:

Percentage of forwards to play in NHL (2006-2011):

Ana: 33.3%
Bos: 34.8%
Buf: 27.2%
Cal: 11.5%
Car: 29.4%
Chi: 26.7%
Col: 36.8%
Clb: 40%
Dal: 18.2%
Det: 24%
Edm: 43.5%
Flo: 14.3%
LA: 24.1%
Min: 27.3%
Mon: 19%
Nas: 25.9%
NJ: 40%
NYI: 31%
NYR: 22.2%
Ott: 23.1%
Phi: 39.1%
Pho: 27.3%
Pit: 17.6%
SJ: 27.3%
STL: 20.7%
Tam: 22.7%
Tor: 22.2%
Van: 14.3%
Was: 23.1%
Wpg/Atl: 28%

The Kings rank 16th in the league on a percentage basis of prospect forwards who have reached the NHL.

If however you look at it from a quality versus quantity standpoint, it improves for LA. This is the average number of games played in the NHL per forward who has reached the NHL level, drafted between 2006 and 2011:

Ana: 40.13
Bos: 129.88
Buf: 37.33
Cal: 50.67
Car: 100.4
Chi: 96.63
Col: 122.57
Clb: 92.7
Dal: 58.5
Det: 39.67
Edm: 79.1
Flo: 106
LA: 96.15
Min: 103
Mon: 65.25
Nas: 58.71
NJ: 57.63
NYI: 100.44
NYR: 80.33
Ott: 91.5
Phi: 76.78
Pho: 115.17
Pit: 161.67
SJ: 76.67
STL: 114
Tam: 94.4
Tor: 118.5
Van: 65
Was: 97
Wpg/Atl: 90.86

The Kings rank 13th in average games played per NHL player. If you removed the teams with a forward drafted in the top three of his draft year, the Kings would move up to 8th.

The Kings aren't being firesetter at the draft when it comes to forwards, but they are hardly laughable as you attested. The Kings need to hit on a big name forward for sure, but drafting several wingers in one draft year is hardly a guarantee of success and based on the above information, is no more likely to create a hit at forward than the method LA is currently employing.

The fact LA ranks as high as they do on these rankings when they have used only two first round picks on a forward in this time frame (Schenn and Lewis) is a testiment to the drafting abilities of the Kings scouting staff.


Last edited by kingsfan: 01-12-2012 at 03:12 PM.
kingsfan is offline  
Old
01-12-2012, 01:30 PM
  #28
Duc620
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
It's so cool we have such talented posters here.... great job kingsfan!

Duc620 is offline  
Old
01-12-2012, 02:29 PM
  #29
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Consider also (excellent job KF) that we still have Toffoli, Kozun Vey to name a few who will all get at least a look at the NHL in the next season or so (or are more than likely too) and you can see we are starting to add to our skill forward depth and will soon be seeing the results.

We are loaded with character types who are slowly starting to make their way up to the NHL and I believe at least one more of them will next season, likely two in Kozun and Nolan or AndyA.

Kozun may or may not be a top 6 winger during his time in the NHL but he does posses the talent to be given the chance in time though only time will tell if he gets that opp.

Loktionov and Vey providing different games for us but both having NHL skillsets. Lewis may not be everyones favorite but I believe that is due to where he is being used. It is getting better under DS but TM seemed to have lost track with him. Still, a capable NHLer.

We need Toffi to continue to develop into an NHL sniper and all signs point to yes where that is concerned and of course need to be lucky and skilled enough to find a couple more but our D is loaded with competent to very skilled NHL caliber kids waiting in the wings and in net we are just right with the amount of talented potential number 1s as well.

To me it looks like we are a darft or two and a couple of UFA kid signings away from being a fully loaded monster.

etherialone is offline  
Old
04-03-2012, 03:22 PM
  #30
SuperAlmeida
Registered User
 
SuperAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Regarding the Carter-Trade:

Quote:
Rob Kunz ‏ @Rob10TVSports
@TLyseggen If Kings miss playoffs, pick is in 2013. If Kings make it, CBJ have to decide two picks before Kings would be on clock.

Rob Kunz ‏ @Rob10TVSports
@TLyseggen I should clarify...#CBJ have to notify the Kings no later than two picks before LA would be on the clock.

SuperAlmeida is offline  
Old
04-03-2012, 03:30 PM
  #31
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,972
vCash: 500
kingsfan with the goods. Nice work.

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
04-03-2012, 03:32 PM
  #32
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Regarding the Carter-Trade:
If LA picks 8th this year, I can't imagine CBJ passing that up.

RonSwanson* is offline  
Old
04-03-2012, 03:47 PM
  #33
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Consider also (excellent job KF) that we still have Toffoli, Kozun Vey to name a few who will all get at least a look at the NHL in the next season or so (or are more than likely too) and you can see we are starting to add to our skill forward depth and will soon be seeing the results.

We are loaded with character types who are slowly starting to make their way up to the NHL and I believe at least one more of them will next season, likely two in Kozun and Nolan or AndyA.

Kozun may or may not be a top 6 winger during his time in the NHL but he does posses the talent to be given the chance in time though only time will tell if he gets that opp.

Loktionov and Vey providing different games for us but both having NHL skillsets. Lewis may not be everyones favorite but I believe that is due to where he is being used. It is getting better under DS but TM seemed to have lost track with him. Still, a capable NHLer.

We need Toffi to continue to develop into an NHL sniper and all signs point to yes where that is concerned and of course need to be lucky and skilled enough to find a couple more but our D is loaded with competent to very skilled NHL caliber kids waiting in the wings and in net we are just right with the amount of talented potential number 1s as well.

To me it looks like we are a darft or two and a couple of UFA kid signings away from being a fully loaded monster.

You didn't mention Moller or Holloway. Should we try and package those two for a 3rd rounder? It might be our highest pick in this up-coming draft......

Capn Brown is offline  
Old
04-03-2012, 04:21 PM
  #34
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7* View Post
For a GM that preached building through the draft Lombardi would really be BSing us all. Hell might as well go back to trading all out picks rounds 1 -3 in every draft.Does anyone remember the 70's(70-74,76-78) and early 80's(82-83) and the 90's(91-94) This is a draft that could go down as one of the better ones in a long time. If the Kings have a shot at Galchenyuk we nab him right now and put him next to Kopitar. But knowing Lombardi if we do keep the pick it will be another American...Wish Lombardi would just take the best player available and not take the BAA...I like some of the Americans on our team...Lewis has been a disappointment so far and not worthy of the 17th pick in any draft.Czarnik shouldn't been picked until the 5th round maybe 6th round. Joey Ryan was aweful. Quick was awesome. Jury still out on Forbort. Brown has been pretty darn good. Thought Boyle was decent pick but Dean didn't. Wish the Kings had a chance on a player like Mike Modano, or a young Jeremy Roennick, or Keith Tkachuk, dam that would be sweet...wondering whether Nicolas Kerdiles can be like them.Hope the Kings don't take a d-man we have enough to last two lifetimes already...
Galchenyuk was born in Milwaukee.

kingpest19 is offline  
Old
04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
  #35
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 32,215
vCash: 500
If Columbus elects to select LA's 1st round pick in 2012, the Kings' first pick at the draft won't be until the 4th round.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...ture/Kings.htm

The 2nd round pick was dealt to Philadelphia in the Mike Richards trade. The 3rd round pick was moved to Edmonton in the Dustin Penner trade.

The Kings will have six picks in the draft with extra picks in the 6th round (from Philadelphia) and 7th round (from Edmonton). Let's hope the scouts are ready to wait around for a while and have done their homework to find some late round gems. They may have to work harder this year to find some hidden gems in the later stages of the draft.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
  #36
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 500
I think Lombardi will trade a player for picks and prospects. Bernier could be traded, but I don't see that happening for awhile since we hold his rights for a bit.

DryIslandBartender is offline  
Old
04-03-2012, 05:06 PM
  #37
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
If LA picks 8th this year, I can't imagine CBJ passing that up.
If LA picks 8th, it means we missed the playoffs, in which case LA keeps the pick (though I don't think we could fall to 8th overall pick unless we missed the playoffs and also won the draft lottery). If you mean if LA finishes 8th seed in the conference, then yes, I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If Columbus elects to select LA's 1st round pick in 2012, the Kings' first pick at the draft won't be until the 4th round.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...ture/Kings.htm

The 2nd round pick was dealt to Philadelphia in the Mike Richards trade. The 3rd round pick was moved to Edmonton in the Dustin Penner trade.

The Kings will have six picks in the draft with extra picks in the 6th round (from Philadelphia) and 7th round (from Edmonton). Let's hope the scouts are ready to wait around for a while and have done their homework to find some late round gems. They may have to work harder this year to find some hidden gems in the later stages of the draft.
Not exactly a great place to be, but I'd be confident we can get a player who'll reach the NHL drafting 4th round or lower. We got Martinez and King in the 4th round in 2007, Loktionov in the 5th in 2008 and Jordan Nolan in the 7th in 2009. Not to mention a few others drafted in late rounds that we are excited about, such as J-F Berube, Linden Vey, Brandon Kozun, Kevin Gravel, Maxim Kitsyn and Michael Schumacher. Our scouts have gotten a lot of mileage out of the late rounds so far, a big reason why DL could afford to do the Penner and Carter deals.

kingsfan is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 09:57 AM
  #38
SuperAlmeida
Registered User
 
SuperAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Interesting article...

NHL: Hat trick would help Jackets’ recovery

Quote:
When it comes to their offseason plans, the Blue Jackets prefer reshape to rebuild. In this case, they’re not splitting hairs.

Rather than dismantle the roster and start on a three- or four-year rebuilding plan, indications are that the Blue Jackets will make moves this summer with the hope of being competitive — dare we mention the Stanley Cup playoffs? — next season.

To that end, they have three bullets to fire in the next few months — three significant commodities that could be used to help buttress a deadwood roster full of bloated salaries.
“It’s the biggest summer since I’ve been here,” general manager Scott Howson said. “I see us being competitive next season, for sure. We have to be more competitive.
“There are a lot of moving parts. It depends on where they fall, in terms of the impact we can make on the franchise.”

First, the Blue Jackets are almost certain to trade captain Rick Nash, who asked for a trade in January but was still with the team after the trade deadline in February because Howson didn’t find a deal to his liking. The sides have remained amicable, but this could get awkward, if not ugly, if Nash remains with the club.
Second, the Blue Jackets have the No. 2 pick in the draft in June, as well as the Los Angeles Kings’ first-round pick (currently No. 17) — unless the Jackets opt to take the Kings’ first-round pick in 2013 instead.
The Blue Jackets would be delighted if winger Nail Yakupov slid past Edmonton with the No. 1 pick, but if he doesn’t, they’ll have their choice of defenseman Ryan Murray or forwards Mikhail Grigorenko, Alex Galchenyuk or Filip Forsberg.

It is more likely that the Blue Jackets will use the Kings’ pick, their third bullet, as part of a trade. Under the terms of the trade — the same deal that brought defenseman Jack Johnson to Columbus for center Jeff Carter — the Jackets don’t need to indicate whether they plan to use the pick or defer it to next year until two picks before the Kings are on the clock.

In other words, the Blue Jackets can listen to trade offers on the draft floor and respond accordingly. When the Blue Jackets look down their offseason shopping list, they will see the biggest need is goaltending. After three poor seasons, they have decided that if Steve Mason returns next season, it will be as a backup.
No. 1 on the list of potentially available goaltenders would appear to be Vancouver’s Cory Schneider, who will be a restricted free agent and likely draw a salary of $4 million or more.

The Canucks will likely make a qualifying offer, but his rising salary — Schneider has arbitration rights, should it come to that — will make it almost impossible for him to remain in Vancouver. The Canucks are already committed to starter Roberto Luongo for 10 more seasons with a $5.3 million cap hit.
Nashville’s Anders Lindback, Jonathan Bernier of Los Angeles and Boston’s Tuukka Rask have surfaced as possibilities, but it would be difficult for the Jackets to make an intradivision trade with the Predators, and it’s hard to imagine the Bruins moving Rask when their starter, Tim Thomas, is 38.
If a trade cannot be made, the free-agent goalie market is thin, led by Josh Harding, Scott Clemmensen, Martin Biron, Dan Ellis and Jonas Gustavsson.

The Blue Jackets’ other glaring weakness — a lack of scoring — will only be exacerbated if Nash is traded. The Jackets have been 28th, 25th and 25th in scoring the past three seasons, and that’s with Nash averaging 31.7 goals those seasons.

Nash would likely bring the Blue Jackets a combination of draft picks, prospects and established players, including at least two players ready for an NHL roster.

The Blue Jackets fielded offers from Toronto, San Jose and the New York Rangers, among others, at the trade deadline. Despite reports at the time, the club that made the best offer was not the Rangers, although Blue Jackets senior adviser Craig Patrick wouldn’t say who it was.

If Nash doesn’t land a goaltender in return — none of those clubs would appear to have one available — he would have to bring one or two forwards who could contribute offensively.

Take Nash out of the picture, and the Blue Jackets’ top six for next season include R.J. Umberger, Derick Brassard, Vinny Prospal and possibly second-year pros Cam Atkinson and Ryan Johansen. If they draft a forward with the No. 2 overall pick, he could slot in there, too. They could add a player via free agency, too.

After the most disheartening season in franchise history, the Blue Jackets have three bullets to fire.
More than ever, it’s important they fire them with perfect aim.

SuperAlmeida is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 01:30 PM
  #39
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
This is where you should do some research before blasting DL on his record.

Since 2006, here's a breakdown of forwards drafted by teams, under your criteria:

Anaheim: 1 forward with 100 games (Matt Beleskey). 8/24 played in the NHL (321 games)
Boston: 4 forwards with 100 games (Seguin, Kessel, Marchand, Lucic). 8/23 played in the NHL (1,039 games)
Buffalo: 1 forward with 100 games (Ennis). 6/22 played in the NHL (224 games)
Calgary: 1 forward with 100 games (Backlund). 3/26 played in the NHL (152 games)
Carolina: 2 forwards with 100 games (Skinner, Sutter). 5/17 played in the NHL (502 games played)
Chicago: 2 forwards with 100 games (Kane, Toews). 8/30 played in NHL (773 games)
Colorado: 4 forwards with 100 games (Duchene, Stewart, O'Reilly, Galiardi). 7/19 played in the NHL (858 games)
Columbus: 2 forwards with 100 games (Voracek, Brassard). 10/25 played in the NHL (927 games)
Dallas: 1 forward with 100 games (Benn). 4/22 played in the NHL (234 games)
Detroit: 1 forward with 100 games (Matthias). 6/25 played in the NHL (238 games)
Edmonton: 3 forwards with 100 games (Eberle, Gagner, Paajarvi-Svensson). 10/23 played in the NHL (791 games)
Florida: 1 forward with 100 games (Frolik). 4/28 played in the NHL (424 games played)
Los Angeles: 3 forwards with 100 games (Lewis, Clifford, Simmonds). 7/29 played in NHL (673 games)
Minnesota: 2 forwards with 100 games (Sheppard, Clutterbuck). 6/22 played in the NHL (618 games)
Montreal: 1 forward with 100 games (Pacioretty). 4/21 played in the NHL (261 games)
Nashville: 2 forwards with 100 games (Spaling, Wilson). 7/27 played in the NHL (411 games)
New Jersey: 0 forwards with 100 games. 8/20 played in the NHL (461 games)
New York Islanders: 4 forwards with 100 games (Tavares, Bailey, Martin, Okposo). 9/29 played in the NHL (904 games)
New York Rangers: 2 forwards with 100 games (Anisimov, Stepan). 6/27 played in the NHL (482 games)
Ottawa: 2 forwards with 100 games (Foligno, Smith). 6/26 played in the NHL (549 games)
Philadelphia: 3 forwards with 100 games (Van Riemsdyk, Nodl, Giroux). 9/23 played in NHL (691 games)
Phoenix: 3 forwards with 100 games (Mueller, Turris, Boedker). 6/22 played in the NHL (691 games)
Pittsburgh: 1 forward with 100 games (Staal). 3/17 played in the NHL (485 games)
San Jose: 2 forwards with 100 games (Couture, McGinn). 6/22 played in the NHL (460 games)
St. Louis: 3 forwards with 100 games (Berglund, Eller, Perron). 6/29 played in the NHL (684 games)
Tampa Bay: 1 forward with 100 games (Stamkos). 5/22 played in the NHL (472 games)
Toronto: 3 forwards with 100 games (Tlusty, Kulemin, Stalberg). 6/27 played in the NHL (711 games)
Vancouver: 1 forward with 100 games (Grabner). 3/21 played in the NHL (195 games)
Washington: 2 forwards with 100 games (Backstrom, Johansson). 6/26 played in the NHL (582 games)
Winnipeg/Atlanta: 3 forwards with 100 games (Little, Burmistrov, Kane). 7/25 played in the NHL (636 games played)

Your complaint for only three forwards to play 100 games in the NHL so far under DL's watch is unfounded. So far, only three teams (Boston, New York Islanders and Colorado) have had more than three players drafted since 2006 play more than 100 games, and all three have drafted a player third overall or higher once. Meanwhile 20 teams have two or fewer players drafted since 2006 play 100 games. of those 20, 10 teams have drafted only one player who has played 100 games so far in the NHL and one team (New Jersey) hasn't drafted anyone to reach 100 games in their career (Tedenby is at 99 games though).

So, in terms of drafting players who have reached 100 games in their career so far for forwards, the Kings actually are tied for fourth highest total among all NHL teams.

In terms of percentage to actually reach the NHL, I included every player to actually play even reach the NHL (so I counted King in my totals above for LA for example). The Kings having 7/29 forwards reaching the NHL isn't great but about average, as seen below:

Percentage of forwards to play in NHL (2006-2011):

Ana: 33.3%
Bos: 34.8%
Buf: 27.2%
Cal: 11.5%
Car: 29.4%
Chi: 26.7%
Col: 36.8%
Clb: 40%
Dal: 18.2%
Det: 24%
Edm: 43.5%
Flo: 14.3%
LA: 24.1%
Min: 27.3%
Mon: 19%
Nas: 25.9%
NJ: 40%
NYI: 31%
NYR: 22.2%
Ott: 23.1%
Phi: 39.1%
Pho: 27.3%
Pit: 17.6%
SJ: 27.3%
STL: 20.7%
Tam: 22.7%
Tor: 22.2%
Van: 14.3%
Was: 23.1%
Wpg/Atl: 28%

The Kings rank 16th in the league on a percentage basis of prospect forwards who have reached the NHL.

If however you look at it from a quality versus quantity standpoint, it improves for LA. This is the average number of games played in the NHL per forward who has reached the NHL level, drafted between 2006 and 2011:

Ana: 40.13
Bos: 129.88
Buf: 37.33
Cal: 50.67
Car: 100.4
Chi: 96.63
Col: 122.57
Clb: 92.7
Dal: 58.5
Det: 39.67
Edm: 79.1
Flo: 106
LA: 96.15
Min: 103
Mon: 65.25
Nas: 58.71
NJ: 57.63
NYI: 100.44
NYR: 80.33
Ott: 91.5
Phi: 76.78
Pho: 115.17
Pit: 161.67
SJ: 76.67
STL: 114
Tam: 94.4
Tor: 118.5
Van: 65
Was: 97
Wpg/Atl: 90.86

The Kings rank 13th in average games played per NHL player. If you removed the teams with a forward drafted in the top three of his draft year, the Kings would move up to 8th.

The Kings aren't being firesetter at the draft when it comes to forwards, but they are hardly laughable as you attested. The Kings need to hit on a big name forward for sure, but drafting several wingers in one draft year is hardly a guarantee of success and based on the above information, is no more likely to create a hit at forward than the method LA is currently employing.

The fact LA ranks as high as they do on these rankings when they have used only two first round picks on a forward in this time frame (Schenn and Lewis) is a testiment to the drafting abilities of the Kings scouting staff.

holy bajeebus....talk about digging up an old thread.

great breakdown KF, but i'm not buying it. it comes down to the quality of the forwards LA has from these picks. the numbers they are producing other than just GP. if i missed that in my original post then that is my bad. also consider now that the big chunk of GP's that bring LA's % up is W Simmonds and T Lewis. Simmonds/Schenn = MR now. T Lewis, well all he notches is GP and ice time, guy needs to get on the sheet more.

looking up and down that list you compiled (great job by the way) supports what I am saying. there are all-stars up and down that list, while the LA guys essentially are a bunch of plumbers and pluggers. DL has missed on the quality aspect when it comes to the front end.

with the limited number of picks he has this summer and the depth he has from the NHL-AHL-ECHL-NCAA-Jrs.....he doesn't need to add another D and/or G. LA will find a gem the same way it did with Voynov, when Dean finally goes all in on forwards. when he continues to just go after them here and there, we will most likely see a hit-or-miss result.

the re-signing of JQ before the draft is VITAL at this point. get him signed then trade JB, so he can get back in the early rounds. would love for him to get a winger in the Landeskog/Skinner/Seguin style and build. very skaters, great hands, above average speed and some size.

Whiskeypete is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 01:35 PM
  #40
Flour Child
Unleavened User
 
Flour Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Drury Lane
Posts: 22,467
vCash: 383
If the BJs take our 1st this year,we don't have a pick until the 4th round right?

Flour Child is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 01:36 PM
  #41
SuperAlmeida
Registered User
 
SuperAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
I heard from a person who is beat writer for Rosenborg Icehockeyclub in Norway that they are interested in our Amateur Scout Brent McEwen (Operates in Western Canada). The club is looking for new head coach. Brent McEwen was the national team head coach for the Norwegian Ice Hockey Federation for one season some years ago.

From LAKINGS.com
BRENT McEWEN
AMATEUR SCOUT
Brent McEwen has been an amateur scout for the Kings since 2004. Prior to joining the Kings, McEwen enjoyed a varied background as a general manager, coach and teacher.

From 1997-2004, McEwen worked for the Saskatoon Blades of the Western Hockey League, where he held the title of general manager, hockey and business operations. He also was active in the League where he was chairman of the team services committee; a member of the officiating and education committees; and alternate governor.

Prior to joining the Blades, McEwen spent four years in Europe. For one season he was the national team head coach for the Norwegian Ice Hockey Federation. In 1995-96, he was the head coach for Rogle BK of the Swedish Elite League, and prior to that he served for two seasons as the head coach for Vita Hasten of the Swedish Division 1 league.

Before joining the professional ranks, McEwen for 10 years worked at the University of Saskatchewan where his responsibilities included coaching the College Hockey Program; Development and Management of the Hockey School; and teaching.

A native of Whitewood, Saskatchewan, McEwen, 54 (5/11/56), graduated from the University of Saskatchewan in 1983. He and his wife, Ellen, have two children: a son, Duncan, and a daughter, Kirsten. They reside in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.



Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 04-16-2012 at 01:44 PM.
SuperAlmeida is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 01:38 PM
  #42
SuperAlmeida
Registered User
 
SuperAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
If the BJs take our 1st this year,we don't have a pick until the 4th round right?
That's correct!

SuperAlmeida is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 03:24 PM
  #43
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
holy bajeebus....talk about digging up an old thread.

great breakdown KF, but i'm not buying it. it comes down to the quality of the forwards LA has from these picks. the numbers they are producing other than just GP. if i missed that in my original post then that is my bad. also consider now that the big chunk of GP's that bring LA's % up is W Simmonds and T Lewis. Simmonds/Schenn = MR now. T Lewis, well all he notches is GP and ice time, guy needs to get on the sheet more.

looking up and down that list you compiled (great job by the way) supports what I am saying. there are all-stars up and down that list, while the LA guys essentially are a bunch of plumbers and pluggers. DL has missed on the quality aspect when it comes to the front end.

with the limited number of picks he has this summer and the depth he has from the NHL-AHL-ECHL-NCAA-Jrs.....he doesn't need to add another D and/or G. LA will find a gem the same way it did with Voynov, when Dean finally goes all in on forwards. when he continues to just go after them here and there, we will most likely see a hit-or-miss result.

the re-signing of JQ before the draft is VITAL at this point. get him signed then trade JB, so he can get back in the early rounds. would love for him to get a winger in the Landeskog/Skinner/Seguin style and build. very skaters, great hands, above average speed and some size.
Thanks for the backpat. Apparently on January 12, I had a REALLY slow day at work

I have two beefs with the post of yours I quoted here though:

First, you state that Simmonds + Schenn = Richards. That's irrelevant. We are talking about drafting records, Simmonds and Schenn were drafted by LA, not Richards. Critiquing the value of a trade is not the same as critiquing a draft record.

Second, nothing on there supports what you are saying. Does DL have to find some high end skill? Yes, I said that in my post ("The Kings need to hit on a big name forward for sure"). That said, how many guys are listed there who would be top two line wingers (which is what you said you wanted LA to draft) that would also have been available when LA picked? Lucic, Chris Stewart, Benn, Eberle, Pacioretty, Giroux, Couture, Berglund, Kulemin, Stalberg, Grabner, Johansson. That's 12 players, spread over six drafts, so roughly 2 players per draft that they missed on that were wingers that would have fit your needs basis.

Do you know how many teams passed on many of those players? In several cases, like Lucic, Benn, Stalberg and Kulemin, most if not all teams passed on them, more than once in several instances. No team is going to get it completely right, realistic expectations are needed. Additionally, in some cases like Stewart and Kulemin, it's debateable they would have been an improvement at all for the Kings this season given the years they had in 2011-2012.

On a final note, you have to give credit where it is due. DL did draft Schenn and Simmonds, and neither should be labelled as a "plumber" or "plugger" Simmonds posted 28 goals as a 23 year old and Schenn is having a wonderful playoff as a rookie and we all know what he projects to be as an NHLer.

Frankly, I think your expectations are much to high. Considering the fact DL and Co. arguably overlooked drafting forwards in favor of defensemen in early round most of the six drafts he's had in LA, the fact LA is around the middle of the pack in terms of games played and success is pretty good (and that ranking will likely increase with Dwight King, Jordan Nolan and Andrei Loktionov ready to take the next step). If we were to add in the games played of defensemen the Kings would go up noticably IMO.

kingsfan is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 04:33 AM
  #44
SuperAlmeida
Registered User
 
SuperAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
So who do you hope for?
Quote:
Aportzline #LAKings advance to Western Conference final w a 4-game sweep of #StLBlues. This means Kings first-round will pick be in the 27-30 range.


#CBJ now almost certain to defer until 2013 their claim to the #LAKings first-round pick. Won't be official until NHL entry draft unfolds.
I hope we draft one of Nicolas Kerdiles, Stefan Matteau, Phil di Giuseppe, Christoval Nieves... Or if we draft a defenseman, then I hope it's Dalton Thrower! A D-pair of Forbort and Thrower would be very nice! We don't have a D-man like Thrower in our organization!

I think we swould take a raw prospect, that will get some time to develop... Forbort, Toffoli and Gibson were all very raw!

Stefan Matteau, LW:
Quote:
Having NHL bloodlines never hurts a youngster’s draft stock. Such is the case with Stefan Matteau, whose father, Stephane, played over 800 games and scored over 300 points with six franchises and memorably sent the New York Rangers to the Cup Finals with a double-overtime goal in game seven of the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals.

Stefan brings much of his father’s grit to the ice. He’s been one of the top performers for the U.S. NTDP Under-18 squad with his outstanding grit and ‘immovable object’ act in front of opposing netminders. In much the same way as his elite net-front presence, he’s a very effective along the side- and end-boards: Matteau wins puck battles with regularity and protects possession zealously. He’s a real weapon on the forecheck.

Matteau is an effective finisher from in-close and has a heavy shot. He’s taken steps to improve his distribution-game but is most effective as a bull at the top of the crease where he can screen the goalie, deflect point shots and bang home loose rebounds.

While his size and strength make him a dominant force at the junior level, there’s some concern that his transition to the bigger, tougher NHL will be difficult. Players who physically mature at a younger age frequently become accustomed to that fleeting power and control – and occasionally have rude awakenings at the pro level.

Another concern is Matteau’s skating game which even he has admitted needs considerable work. Unless he improves his now-average wheels, his NHL ceiling will be limited. He’s also not the most skilled offensive player and doesn’t have great hands.

But perhaps the biggest issue is discipline. He’s been suspended multiple times for a variety of infractions (and missed over a dozen games as a result). Teams love players who straddle the ‘edge’ of agitation and clean hockey – Matteau’s record shows he’s had some trouble refraining from stepping beyond that line. That said many still consider him a leader and a character-guy so perhaps it’s just an issue that needs ‘reeling in’.

We’re a little bit stumped as to why so many consider Stefan Matteau a first-round lock. If he were a few inches taller, perhaps – but without elite offensive acumen, puck-skills or skating game he’s probably a stretch on Day One. Expect the second-generation Matteau to fall to the second round where he’ll garner a lot of attention early because he’s regarded as such a safe bet to make it to the NHL.

Ideal Fits: Teams looking to add size and toughness to their front line in the late first and early second: Vancouver, NY Rangers,

Why Your Team Will Take Him: Because he’s a big, truculent net-front presence with finish and charisma.

Why Your Team Will Pass on Him: Because he steps over the edge too frequently; because he lacks an elite offensive skillset.

Strengths: Physicality, Size, Strength, Net-front Presence, Finishing, Grit, Edge

Weaknesses/Concerns: Discipline, Skating, Offensive Upside, Playmaking

Projection: Second/Third-Line Power Winger (25g, 50p potential)

Predicted 2012 NHL Draft Range: First/Second Round (25-44)

Overall Rank: 38

N.A. Rank: 27

USHL Rank: 7

Forwards Rank: 17

U.S. National Rank: 7

Christoval Nieves, C:

Quote:
New England High School players – with few exceptions – are generally regarded as secondary or tertiary prospects because of the modest level of competition and minimal games per season. Cristoval “Boo” Nieves is one of the exceptions. The New York-born Nieves has been wowing scouts for the past two seasons at the Kent School in Connecticut (and now the Indiana Ice of the USHL) and has the overall game to earn interest as early as the late first round.

Nieves’ prime attraction is his rare combination of size and speed. Size can’t be taught – and at 6’3, Nieves stands tall above the competition. His skating game is truly a wonder to behold – almost certainly the fastest draft-bound prep student, Nieves has earned comparisons to the speediest in this class including Sweden’s Pontus Åberg. With plus-acceleration; a long, graceful stride and an elite top-gear Nieves has the wheels to excel in the NHL.

Offensively, he projects more as a distributor than a sniper. While he has a heavy shot and a quick release, there has been some mention of difficulties finishing the golden opportunities he creates with his anticipation and speed. He only scored seven goals and thirty-nine points in 26 games with Kent – not exactly prodigious numbers for a player with purported first-round potential.

The biggest question-marks for Nieves arise around his physical game and the competition level he’s faced. With his big frame and skating game, teams want to see more of a commitment to taking the body than he’s shown thus far. Furthermore, many teams will like to wait and see how Nieves fares against better competition (he joined the USHL’s Indiana Ice after his Prep season was done, grabbing ten points in thirteen games) with the hope that his game and production don’t suffer.

Nieves’ combination of tantalizing talents and concerning issues will likely see him bounce around between the late-first and mid-second-rounds of mock drafts from now until June, such is the fate of boom-or-bust prospects… If he continues to find success with the Ice, he might go as high as twentieth overall, but he’s a safer bet to fall between picks thirty and fifty as a second-round selection.

Ideal Fits: Teams in the second round looking for a potential-heavy forward: San Jose, Phoenix, Nashville, Dallas

Why Your Team Will Take Him: Because he has all the tools to be a solid (or better) forward at the NHL level; because his upside is perhaps the highest of the likely second-round prospects.

Why Your Team Will Pass on Him: Because his ability to put the puck in the net is a major question mark; because despite his size and speed he’s far from a ‘safe pick’.

Strengths: Explosivity, Skating, Size, Playmaking, Shot Power, Release

Weaknesses/Concerns: Physicality, Finishing, Consistency, “Toolbox”

Projection: First/Second-Line Two-Way Winger – (15g, 55p potential)

Predicted 2012 NHL Draft Range: First/Second Round, 26-40

Overall Rank: 40

N.A. Rank: 29

US-HS Rank: 1

Forward Rank: 20

U.S. National Rank: 8

Dalton Thrower, D:

Quote:
Thrower is the spokesman for the “rising draftees” as he continues to climb the rankings. Like his surname suggests, Dalton is not afraid to throw down with an opponent but his real gift is on the offensive side of the puck. Thrower has displayed that effective defensemen do not always have to be 6’3” as he finished among the top 10 in WHL scoring for defenseman. A gifted skater with good vision and passing skills, Thrower has proved that he belongs in first round discussions.


Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 05-08-2012 at 04:55 AM.
SuperAlmeida is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 04:37 AM
  #45
SuperAlmeida
Registered User
 
SuperAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
I heard from a person who is beat writer for Rosenborg Icehockeyclub in Norway that they are interested in our Amateur Scout Brent McEwen (Operates in Western Canada). The club is looking for new head coach. Brent McEwen was the national team head coach for the Norwegian Ice Hockey Federation for one season some years ago.
[/I]
They signed our former scout instead, Barry Martinelli!

SuperAlmeida is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 05:02 AM
  #46
SuperAlmeida
Registered User
 
SuperAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Phil Di Giuseppe, C/LW:

Quote:
As the probable top NCAA selection in 2012, Phil Di Giuseppe is a young man under considerable pressure. Adding in the fact that his squad was one of the top-ranked teams in the country and fought (unsuccessfully) for a conference (CCHA) and national title; Di Giuseppe – who scored the Wolverines’ conference quarterfinal-winning goal – has been tested by fire.

He’s had a very solid freshman season for Michigan, tallying double-digits in goals and being a top offensive contributor for the highly-ranked Wolverines. That production stems significantly from Di Giuseppe’s tenacious puck-possession play and pro hands. He wins 50-50 battles with regularity and outworks opponents for the biscuit with unusual strength for someone his age/size.

Di Giuseppe is a very instinctual player and many note his high offensive acumen/hockey IQ as primary reasons for his success. That intelligence makes him a very dangerous player in the attacking zone. Primarily a playmaker, Di Giuseppe has a very solid passing game and is capable of threading tape-to-tape passes and making good decisions below the dots. Anticipating the play well, he is capable of running an offense from the half-wall or below the goal-line. His wrister isn’t elite but his release is both quick and deceptive.

A very hard worker who’s driven to improving his game, coaches and scouts commend his consistent efforts. He’s got a very noticeable competitive edge – which bodes well for his professional future.

Di Giuseppe’s defensive game is certainly still a work-in-progress. He has the tendency to run around a bit in his own zone. His checking game isn’t what you’d expect from a player with his physical tools, either. However, because he enjoys such a tremendous work ethic, many feel that these shortcomings will be surmounted relatively painlessly.

While we expect Phil Di Giuseppe to fall short of becoming the first NCAA forward drafted in the top-20 since 2008 (Colin Wilson), he should still challenge for a spot in the first round. If the Wolverines have a long run through the Frozen Four and Di Giuseppe plays a significant role, he could easily find himself exceeding expectations. However, because his offensive upside isn’t quite the equal of the front-line luminaries in this draft class, we don’t see that happening.

Ideal Fits: Teams looking for a solid forward late in the first round (New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, San Jose)

Why Your Team Will Take Him: Because his intangibles are very impressive and some believe he has first-line scoring potential.

Why Your Team Will Pass on Him: Because they don’t see his offensive upside as first-line; because some of the sexier (forwards) picks are still on the board.

Strengths: Hockey IQ, Puck Possession Play, Skating Game, Hands, Playmaking, Work Ethic, Grit

Weaknesses/Concerns: Defensive Game, Checking Game, Overall Offensive Upside

Projection: First/Second-Line Scoring Winger (25g, 55p potential)

Predicted 2012 NHL Draft Range: First/Second Round (21-34)

Overall Rank: 24

N.A. Rank: 19

NCAA Rank: 1

Forward Rank: 12

Canadian National Rank: 10
Nicolas Kerdiles, LW:

Quote:
The 2012 draft class has been hit by the injury bug harder than any other draft in recent memory. Top prospects like Alex Galchenyuk, Morgan Rielly, Slate Koekkoek, and Olli Maatta (including many more) seem to have had their seasons cut short. Nic Kerdiles is no exception, however despite the unfortunate injuries, scouts have seen enough of his game to continually rank him in the top 30 prospects from month to month. ISS has failed to omit his name from it’s Top 30 since the beginning of August.

Kerdiles’ game revolves around his physical play, positioning, shot, and – most recently – his defensive awareness. This season has been a turning point in Kerdiles’ overall game where he has begun to work on his defensive positioning, play, along with being effective on both sides of the puck.

He was part of the talented U-18 team that won the World Championship last year against Sweden. He has the experience and knows what it takes to achieve success in international competition and would like nothing more than to skate around the rink in the Czech Republic dawning a 2nd gold medal. The problem is, he needs to do it with a brand new team.

The USNTDP started the season out pretty well in international play by winning the Four Nations Cup in Switzerland. A few months later, Team USA finished (a disappointing) 3rd place in the Five Nations Tournament after back-to-back losses to Sweden and Finland. They have been through ebbs and flows of a hectic season thus far, but will continue to push for a four-peat in the World Championships next month. One of the main focal points will be Nic Kerdiles. It will give him a chance to show that injuries have not affected his game in the slightest and further push his draft stock into the top-20 contention.

Scout’s Honor:
“Kerdiles continues to develop steadily into a productive offensive player. He has the necessary skating, shooting and puck skills to compete at the highest level. Kerdiles also does the little things well such as protecting the puck in traffic and possessing a nose for the net. Kerdiles will contribute defensively as he has the awareness to keep on the defensive side of the puck and maintains discipline and positioning in the defensive zone and on the forecheck. A strong U18 Championship could make Kerdiles this year’s JT Miller.” – The Scouting Report

“Nic has had a great first half of his second year with the NTDP. His game has become faster and stronger and he is becoming a ‘200 foot player’ that can dominate both ends of the ice. He scores goals in the dirty areas and uses his speed well to separate himself from defenders on offense and close on defense. It has been fun to see him excel in NCAA DI games and it shows that he will not miss a beat when he moves on to the University of Wisconsin.” – Head Coach, Danton Cole

“Kerdiles, who is listed at 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, is judged to have the whole package in terms of skills and intangibles. He has an excellent shot from the perimeter, but is more than willing to venture into the messy areas of the ice. He skates and passes well while bringing an edgy attitude. He blocks shots, is adept at faceoffs and is a conscientious defender.” Andy Baggot, Wisconsin State Journal


Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 05-08-2012 at 05:49 AM.
SuperAlmeida is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 10:24 AM
  #47
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,643
vCash: 500
While I don't buy into the draft by position mentality, I do hope we end up with a winger, or just a forward even.

If we grab another D-man in the first round I'll be fine with it, but we are definately thin on the wings beyond Toffoli (not thin in quantity, but potential top line quality).

If Mikhail Grigerenko or Radek Faska fall a bit, I'd be ok with DL trading up to get one. Another guy to consider I think is Brendan Gaunce.

There is a lot of good young D-men available though, and it could be hard to by-pass one if you really like him. Considering DL's D-man crush, you have to wonder if he's not really interested in a guy like the WHL's Derrick Pouliot

That said, DL may consider trading down with this pick and get a high 2nd and a 3rd or something like that just so he can add a few more picks to the depth chart. We've been thinned out a bit at the draft the past two years and this year looks to be just as thin if not moreso.

kingsfan is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 12:34 PM
  #48
SuperAlmeida
Registered User
 
SuperAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
That said, DL may consider trading down with this pick and get a high 2nd and a 3rd or something like that just so he can add a few more picks to the depth chart. We've been thinned out a bit at the draft the past two years and this year looks to be just as thin if not moreso.
I can see that happening! If DL does that, then I hope we take a Russian with one of our picks! We're in a position to do so!

Anton Slepyshev, LW
Quote:
Anton Slepyshev, LW

Birthplace: Penza, Russia, 5/13/94
Bio: 6’1, 190 lbs., R
Metallurg Novokuznetsk, KHL
Rankings: ISS – 34; CSS – 10 (EU)

One of the premier forward talents available this season, Russian winger Anton Slepyshev has already shown his scoring touch in the second-best league in the world, the KHL. After getting off to a hot start, he cooled off significantly in large part due to the minimal ice time he received (under nine minutes a game) but the early offensive outburst mirrors how past top prospects have fared in the KHL.

Slepyshev’s talents with the puck are beyond reproach. His ability to weave through traffic and dangle the puck past opposition defenders are among the best in this class. He protects the puck very well and is only rarely dispossessed.

Once he gets through the opposition he has a wide array of options to score with. His fakes are very deceptive and he can juke effectively at top speed. He’s equally capable finishing with the forehand and backhand and should be a top-level shootout performer when he makes it. In addition, his arsenal of weapons includes a particularly potent one-timer which he’ll willingly use from all angles.

His skating game is very advanced: He’s among the most agile players in 2012 and brings some plus-acceleration to go with his notable top speed. Where he separates himself is his pacing – backing off players then slowing the game down to open lanes or set up one his impressive battery of moves.

Slepyshev possesses a high degree of competitiveness and is frequently driving his team’s offense with impressive effort levels. He’s not exactly ‘gritty’ but rarely gives up on plays.

Scouts want to see increased physicality and work in the ‘dirty’ areas of the ice from the talented Russian. Despite his physical talents, he’ll need to improve in those areas to move up into surefire first-round status.

The biggest concern for potential suitors is his status as a Russian in the KHL. It’s potentially far more lucrative for Slepyshev to remain in Russia than to cross the pond. Because he hasn’t made the commitment to North American hockey, there will always be the worry that he’ll never make the jump to the NHL (or, like Alex Radulov, jump back after a few seasons).

As a result, teams will pass on Slepyshev even if his talents warrant a top-15 or 20 selection – first-round selections are such valuable commodities. Still, for squads willing to roll the dice on him in the late 20s and early second-round, he’s potentially a major steal.

Ideal Fits: Teams who might want to take a chance on an elite forward talent late in the first round or early in the second: Vancouver, Washington, New Jersey, New York Rangers, Phoenix.

Why Your Team Will Take Him: Because he might have one of the top-five skillsets in this draft; because few players his age have ever scored as he has in Russia’s top league.

Why Your Team Will Pass on Him: Because the promise of big, quick KHL dollars might keep him out of the NHL entirely, because he doesn’t exactly play with a ‘North American’ style.

Strengths: Puck-Handling, Elusiveness, Hands, Shooting, Playmaking, Skating, Offensive Acumen

Weaknesses/Concerns: Physical Game, Consistency, Grit, ‘Russian Factor’, Defensive Game

Projection: First Line Scoring Winger (30g, 60p potential)

Predicted 2012 NHL Draft Range: First/Second Round (18-36)

SuperAlmeida is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 01:18 PM
  #49
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 32,215
vCash: 500
This appears to be one of those drafts where teams will likely go off the board with their picks, particularly with clubs drafting outside of the top 7-10 spots.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
05-08-2012, 01:23 PM
  #50
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,692
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Sounds like Lombardi's kind of draft. Hopefully we do get someone of future value this time around. In all likeliness, Columbus is going to let us have this pick and take next years, but who knows, they may have their eye on someone late this year.

__________________

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.