HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Goalies On The Move In The Off-Season

Old
05-08-2012, 08:53 AM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

vCash: 500
Goalies On The Move In The Off-Season

There are going to be some Goalies on the outside looking in when the new season begins. There seems to be alot more Goalies then positions available next season. Here is a list of teams that I think might need some help in the Net.

Devils: need a successor to Brodeur
Islanders: Nabokov is only a 1 or 2 year solution
Toronto: I don't think that Reimer or Gustavsson are safe
Florida: They have Markstrom, but is He ready yet? Are They sold with Theodore or Clemmensen?
Tampa: needs a true #1
Winnipeg: Are They sold on Pavelec?
Washington: Holtby is most likely the #1 going into next year, but what about Vokoun & Neuvirth?

Chicago: Between Crawford, Emery & Salak, is there a #1 Goalie in that mix?
Columbus: The whole team is a mess, why shouldn't the Goaltending be any different.
Colorado: Is Giggy a stop gap? Is Varlamov a true #1?
Edmonton: Is Khabibulin still a #1? Is Dubnyk ready to take the next step?
San Jose: Does San Jose trust Niemi? Can Greiss step in?

Am I correct in any of these &/or did I leave some teams out? Who do You think ends up where?

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:22 AM
The Hendog

I could really see the Flames trading Kipper this off season especially if they get a younger goalie who has been inconsistent recently but has potential back in the deal (for example Crawford) and a decent prospect (for example McNeil)

Kipper isn't getting any younger and the Flames need to get some value out of him via trade well they can

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:24 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
I could really see the Flames trading Kipper this off season especially if they get a younger goalie who has been inconsistent recently but has potential back in the deal (for example Crawford) and a decent prospect (for example McNeil)

Kipper isn't getting any younger and the Flames need to get some value out of him via trade well they can
I don't see Kipper being traded the Flames ownership is so damn stubborn on keeping him and Iginla and trying to build around them.

crazycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Greg Schuler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1971 View Post
There are going to be some Goalies on the outside looking in when the new season begins. There seems to be alot more Goalies then positions available next season. Here is a list of teams that I think might need some help in the Net.

Devils: need a successor to Brodeur - they felt comfortable with an as-old Hedberg backing up Brodeur.
Islanders: Nabokov is only a 1 or 2 year solution - the Islanders think they have plenty of internal options.
Toronto: I don't think that Reimer or Gustavsson are safe - probably not, but according to Leaf fans, the organization has so many NHL-caliber goalies, they don't need any more.
Florida: They have Markstrom, but is He ready yet? Are They sold with Theodore or Clemmensen? - Markstrom is probably ready, but recent comments from Tallon indicates he wants Clemensen back.
Tampa: needs a true #1 - agreed.
Winnipeg: Are They sold on Pavelec? - Yes
Washington: Holtby is most likely the #1 going into next year, but what about Vokoun & Neuvirth? - Vokoun is a free agent and Neuvirth needs to stay healthy, but a Holtby-Neuvirth tandem is doable.

Chicago: Between Crawford, Emery & Salak, is there a #1 Goalie in that mix? - Crawford and Emery come back simply for cap reasons.
Columbus: The whole team is a mess, why shouldn't the Goaltending be any different. - agreed.
Colorado: Is Giggy a stop gap? Is Varlamov a true #1? - I think Varlamov showed he is a number one when focused and healthy.
Edmonton: Is Khabibulin still a #1? Is Dubnyk ready to take the next step? - maybe, but the team needs to play better defensively regardless of the goaltender.
San Jose: Does San Jose trust Niemi? Can Greiss step in? - or Stalock.

Am I correct in any of these &/or did I leave some teams out? Who do You think ends up where?
Pittsburgh needs a better backup.

Greg Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:26 AM
The Infamous Tank
Franklinator Maker

Quote:

Florida: They have Markstrom, but is He ready yet? Are They sold with Theodore or Clemmensen?
Washington: Holtby is most likely the #1 going into next year, but what about Vokoun & Neuvirth?

Columbus: The whole team is a mess, why shouldn't the Goaltending be any different.

Florida's Coach was saying goaltending is an area of strength for them the only move they might make is letting Clemenson walk
Yes they are sold on Pavelec but will need a backup; Mason isn't happy
Unless Neuvirth gets a good sized return they should keep him over Vokoun
Varly is a #1
Dubnyk seems like he can handle starter or at the very least split the job
SJ needs to fix forwards before they worry about goaltending

Good job on the rest though

The Infamous Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:

Toronto: I don't think that Reimer or Gustavsson are safeFlorida: They have Markstrom, but is He ready yet? Are They sold with Theodore or Clemmensen?

Burke has stated he WILL address the goaltending in the offseason. Gus is UFA and probably won't be signed here. Not sure if Burke is looking for a short term stop gap (Thomas, Kipper or even Habby via trade or Vokoun, Harding via FA) or looking to go big with a Luongo type trade (i hope not if the cost is high). It will be interesting to say the least as there seems to be more than a few teams who are looking for help in net.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Columbus will address the need for a goalie in the offseason by going hard after either free agents or one in a trade.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:31 AM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
I don't see Kipper being traded the Flames ownership is so damn stubborn on keeping him and Iginla and trying to build around them.
They are so stubborn it is stupid
Considering the Flames haven't made the playoffs the last 3 years and haven't had a good playoff run since 2004 - you would think they would want to turn aging assets into future assets! SO frustrating

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Devils: will get a young keeper and groom them. Hedberg isn't a bad 1A option paired with someone else.

Islanders: Poulin is the goalie of the future. Nilsson in the pipeline as well.

Toronto: Voukoun to go with Reimer or acquire Luongo

Florida: if it's not broken don't fix it. Theodore & Clemmensen working. Maybe give Markstrom a full year in the minors or 20-25 games with Theo and move Clemmensen.

Tampa: Kipper, Luongo or Vokoun. Maybe Torkoski (SP) splits 15-20 games?

Winnipeg: Pavelec is the real deal.

Washington: Holtby & Neuvirth as 1A/1B tandem.

Chicago: Wanna see more of Salak. Injuries and wasn't given enough of a chance. Otherwise could see Kipper

Columbus: draft a goalie. They're miles away from contending (2-3 years). Draft someone like a Subban and bring em up in 2-3 years.

Colorado: Varlamov.

Edmonton: Dubnyk. Bring in a vet like Roloson to help him out even though you still have Khabi on the books.

San Jose: Niemi is the #1 unless they feel otherwise.

EDIT: Could probably throw Harding in the mix to Columbus, NJ, SJ and Tampa. Maybe Washington as well if they want to go in a different direction than Neuvirth. Also some interest in Al Montoya should be there.

Last edited by Marlo Stanfield: 05-08-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Forgot Harding
Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:37 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:

Devils: need a successor to Brodeur Only question is if Marty stays on for one more year, Parise's decision will have a lot to do with how they approach this too
Islanders: Nabokov is only a 1 or 2 year solution Should allow them to find/develop a younger goaltender
Toronto: I don't think that Reimer or Gustavsson are safe None of the Leafs goaltenders are good enough
Florida: They have Markstrom, but is He ready yet? Are They sold with Theodore or Clemmensen? They'll go with one of Theodore/Clemmenson with Markstrom tandem
Tampa: needs a true #1 Luongo?
Winnipeg: Are They sold on Pavelec? I don't see them making any changes for next season
Washington: Holtby is most likely the #1 going into next year, but what about Vokoun & Neuvirth? One of Neuvrith or Vokoun will be available

Chicago: Between Crawford, Emery & Salak, is there a #1 Goalie in that mix? They'll look to upgrade
Columbus: The whole team is a mess, why shouldn't the Goaltending be any different. They need a veteran goalie to tandem with Mason at the very least
Colorado: Is Giggy a stop gap? Is Varlamov a true #1? They'll go with Varlamov
Edmonton: Is Khabibulin still a #1? Is Dubnyk ready to take the next step? They're ready to go with Dubnyk
San Jose: Does San Jose trust Niemi? Can Greiss step in? Goaltending isn't the big issue for them

There may be a lot of goaltenders available but most of them are backup goaltenders/tandem goaltenders (or younger goaltenders not ready to be true starters), not many true starters.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Zip15

Quote:

Isles: I'd imagine Nabokov is the bridge to Nilsson/Poulin. I can't see them going after much in the way of goaltending this summer.

Panthers: Markstrom performed well in the AHL this year (.927) and looked good in limited starts in Florida. I think he's ready for at least a 1A/1B in Florida.

Jets: They're sold on Pavelec, but will probably need a new backup.

Caps: Holtby/Neuvy will be their netminders next season.

Avs: Varly is most definitely a #1. No worries there.

Oilers: I think they'll try to get a guy to do a split with Dubnyk, but don't think they'll pursue any of the huge names.

Sharks: Niemi/Greiss were fine. They need to address other areas.

I'd say your correct on Columbus, Tampa, Toronto, and Chicago, and I think each could be looking to make big changes in net. But I don't see the others making a huge splash.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Markstrom is ready and he will split time with Theodore next year. Washington goes with Holtby and Neuvrith next year. Varlamov had better be a true #1 for what they paid for him. I don't think Niemi is the problem in SJ. Vokoun I suspect will not take another short term deal to win. It sound alike Thomas is on his way out of Boston, but how many teams can absorb that cap hit?

2287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Devils: will get a young keeper and groom them. Hedberg isn't a bad 1A option paired with someone else.

Islanders: Poulin is the goalie of the future. Nilsson in the pipeline as well.

Toronto: Voukoun to go with Reimer or acquire Luongo

Florida: if it's not broken don't fix it. Theodore & Clemmensen working. Maybe give Markstrom a full year in the minors or 20-25 games with Theo and move Clemmensen.

Tampa: Kipper, Luongo or Vokoun. Maybe Torkoski (SP) splits 15-20 games?

Winnipeg: Pavelec is the real deal.

Washington: Holtby & Neuvirth as 1A/1B tandem.

Chicago: Wanna see more of Salak. Injuries and wasn't given enough of a chance. Otherwise could see Kipper

Columbus: draft a goalie. They're miles away from contending (2-3 years). Draft someone like a Subban and bring em up in 2-3 years.

Colorado: Varlamov.

Edmonton: Dubnyk. Bring in a vet like Roloson to help him out even though you still have Khabi on the books.

San Jose: Niemi is the #1 unless they feel otherwise.
I agree in theory, but their goal tending is horrid. I still think even if they draft Subban, i still think they should start looking for immediate help.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I agree in theory, but their goal tending is horrid. I still think even if they draft Subban, i still think they should start looking for immediate help.
Josh Harding seems like a good candidate. Hell even Al Montoya on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Josh Harding seems like a good candidate. Hell even Al Montoya on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal.
Exactly, just something to shore it up until the youth or the return from a Nash deal (if it happens) starts to pan out.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:26 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
They are so stubborn it is stupid
Considering the Flames haven't made the playoffs the last 3 years and haven't had a good playoff run since 2004 - you would think they would want to turn aging assets into future assets! SO frustrating
I agree, I've been saying they need to make a major trade for the last couple years, and subsequently been ripped to shreds by my Flames fan friends for suggesting such blasphemy of trading Kipper/Iginla.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm an Iginla/Kipper trade Hipster, I was saying they should be traded before it was cool...

Old
05-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Nuck This

Luongo is the best goalie on the market. All teams will kick the tires on him first. Whoever's willing to buck up and pay the price will land him. They'll be happy they did. He's a lot better than what most fans on here say. Give him a year with your team and he'd be a fan favorite and take whichever team he's on to the post season.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
Quote:
Yup, at least they sure as heck should be. Pavelec was a little bit inconsisent, but he earned the Jets several wins and OTLs in games they had zero business being in. His stats were subpar, but they really don't tell the full story.

IMO goaltending should be the least of Winnipeg's worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Jets: They're sold on Pavelec, but will probably need a new backup.
+1

Mason had a really good bounce back year, but I get the sense he wants to test the open market. Plus, it's pretty rare for veteran UFA backups to be re-signed.

If the price is right, I'd like to see the Jets go after Curtis Sanford.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:40 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Luongo is the best goalie on the market. All teams will kick the tires on him first. Whoever's willing to buck up and pay the price will land him. They'll be happy they did. He's a lot better than what most fans on here say. Give him a year with your team and he'd be a fan favorite and take whichever team he's on to the post season.
The issue with Luongo is the contract. That is seriously going to depress his value. The Sharks for instance would have absolutely no part of it and won't kick the tires at all. Doug Wilson is a vocal opponent of exactly those kinds of contracts, and there are other GM's who feel the same. Also, generally the return for goalies is not huge.

The Sharks may very well trade Niemi because while he wasn't a 'problem', he hasn't been great constantly, and Greiss has been better (not a lot, but slightly). They also have a backlog of goalies in the AHL (3 at the moment) and Stalock is NHL ready (and has starter potential). If the Sharks can get a pick or something for Niemi they would be smart to do so and roll with Greiss and Stalock worst case.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
I'm not sure how many fans are questioning his ability,(i'm not) most are concerned with the price to aquire/contract and age.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:47 AM
TOGuy14

Leafs have Reimer right now who is an average goalie. Gus is a UFA.

I think Burke will look to sign a solid vet for 1-2 years (Vokoun, Harding, etc) and see if any of our young goalies can seize the spot in the mean time.

I don't expect him to overreact and acquire something that can be damaging long term like Luongo.

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:47 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Columbus will address the need for a goalie in the offseason by going hard after either free agents or one in a trade.
If the Flyers need cap space, you guys can have Bobrovsky. No point holding onto a back-up whose cap hit is close to $2m when you're pretty much forced to have Bryz as your #1

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
He also has far and away the worst contract on the market.

2287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:16 AM
krazyhawk

Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:

Yeah,he's never had trouble getting to the post-season.It's what happens when he gets there that's the problem !!

krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
The thing is, that he's not on "the" market, he's on "some" very limited market that he himself and the financial scope of action of the teams among his accepted destinations (among other factors) controll. In a situation like that, you cannot count on pure ability - which Luongo obviously has a ton of - to be the determining factor in the return.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote