HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Orlando Solar Bears Thread - Baby I'm ready to go!

Old
04-21-2012, 07:31 PM
snowden
Man is matter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Second, THAT is not Shades. Y U NO GO WITH SOMETHING THAT WORKS? He looks like a geriatric bear, or like a Shades mascot suit that you'd buy in Vietnamtown, if Orlando had one.
Fixed.

They probably shouldn't be at the Amway anyway.

snowden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 09:29 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Quote:
There's also locked portion above the head part, and that's counter to what they should be trying to do. It's a ****ing team game, and if they can't trust each other, how are they supposed to fight for one another?
People have snuck into the locker room here and stolen ****. It may be more about being there in case the security sucks rather than not trusting their teammates.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

This Shades, is ****ing adorable with his big-ass head and his 'too cool fo' school' sunglasses that he can peer over.

The new Shades has his mouth open. WTF?

Also, Shades wearing anything other than #95 irks me. Especially if we get a more traditional staff where they want low numbered players. Who wears #95? Nobody, because the highest number on the team will be like 30.

At least give him #00 or something, but in keeping the original number, even if they keep the 'interpretation' of him they have, makes the connection that this is supposed to be the same guy, and not merely a Shades stand-in.

Even if the whole 'Oh this is a different franchise' thing is even an argument, there's precedent. When a player has his number retired, it often gets lowered from the stands if the guy's son or nephew or whatever plays for the team.

Brett Hull got to wear Bobby's number in Phoenix, given that number had been retired for Bobby's stint as a Winnipeg Jet in the WHA.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 04-23-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:14 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

Quote:

The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

We need a mascot who looks like he can beat the **** out of Stuff, and the OB Shades can do that.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:57 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

New Solar Bear commercial.

http://orlandosolarbearshockey.com/topstory/top3.html

I'm not fearing the bear yet. Although the "Out of Hibernation" tag line is ok.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
New Solar Bear commercial.

http://orlandosolarbearshockey.com/topstory/top3.html

I'm not fearing the bear yet. Although the "Out of Hibernation" tag line is ok.
I like it. At first, I was like "it's a polar bear, where's the mother****ing sunglasses?" and then all fears were alleviated.

btw, they gave away brochures at the open house, and I was pleasantly surprised at what I found inside.
http://www.orlandosolarbearshockey.c...13brochure.pdf (PDF)

Last edited by Felonious Python: 04-24-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old
04-24-2012, 03:25 PM
SEALVESTER

What's up?

Those sunglasses look like they were bought at walgreens in the summer aisle.

I'm also ticked that this Shades is fatter than the fat guy at the magic games. Seriously, why? If they were afraid the old suit stank, how about just getting a fresh suit? Every time you look at photos of the old Shades, it smacks you in the face and goes "I'm a BA."

I had a really cool story for it too:
Every since the old Solar Bears folded, Shades became brainwashed by RDV and took on the name "shivers" where he just skated around with children on the weekends with no hockey. Then one day, Bob Ohrablo (or whoever you want) came to him and help Shades regain his memory of the good days and helped him once again, to fulfill his destiny as the Chuck Norris of mascots.

It could use some tweaking, but no point now I guess.

Last edited by SEALVESTER: 04-24-2012 at 03:46 PM.
SEALVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALVESTER View Post
What's up?

Those sunglasses look like they were bought at walgreens in the summer aisle.

I'm also ticked that this Shades is fatter than the fat guy at the magic games. Seriously, why? If they were afraid the old suit stank, how about just getting a fresh suit? Every time you look at photos of the old Shades, it smacks you in the face and goes "I'm a BA."

I had a really cool story for it too:
Every since the old Solar Bears folded, Shades became brainwashed by RDV and took on the name "shivers" where he just skated around with children on the weekends with no hockey. Then one day, Bob Ohrablo (or whoever you want) came to him and help Shades regain his memory of the good days and helped him once again, to fulfill his destiny as the Chuck Norris of mascots.

It could use some tweaking, but no point now I guess.
The original Shades suit was sold to the Austin IceBats to be made into a bat. That's an easy replacement. The head piece is harder to replicate without having an actual version. The guy who played Shades at the end might still have it, or RDV, being RDV, put it on a pike somewhere.

I'm more partial to the backstory of Shades being in hibernation, and them having to wake the bear when they were going to knock down the Amway Center. Shades woke up to a world of the future that he did not envision. The mouse was still there, but that's all Orlando still seemed to be. What happened to the hope for Orlando?

Shades restarts the Solar Bears himself, dedicated to the glory of himself, and that Orlando is not just a place for British people to spend holiday, and a cheap basketball team that feels they put out a good enough 'product'.

Shades is Orlando's Batman. He's the hero we deserve right now, and also the one that it wants. In fact, he's greater than The Batman.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 04-24-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old
04-24-2012, 04:26 PM
SEALVESTER

I know RDV still has the suit. A couple people have mentioned that they've seen him about a few months ago. That story sounds better, it doesn't show that much weakness on Shades. Add the fact that Brazilians are trying to take over Orlando too.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
I know RDV still has the suit. A couple people have mentioned that they've seen him about a few months ago. That story sounds better, it doesn't show that much weakness on Shades. Add the fact that Brazilians are trying to take over Orlando too.
I mean, when do we need a watchful protector more than now? At the very least, Orlando has become a more violent city since hibernation.

The problem with having a backstory with any real weaknesses on Shades' part is that he truly is *THE* Solar Bear. Too much weakness, and it seems questionable to name a team after them/him.

Also, what do Brazilians 'taking over' Orlando have to do with anything? What's inherently wrong with that?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 04-24-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old
04-24-2012, 07:04 PM
SEALVESTER

Shades, the Legend! It should be movie.

What I meant was that Orlando has become a haven for the brazilian tourists recently along with the british. I guess working near I-drive exaggerates that a bit. Their women are more than welcome to introduce Shades at the beginning of each game.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:41 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

https://twitter.com/#!/OrlandoHockey
Quote:
YOU ARE ALL INVITED: OSB Press Conference this Thurs at 2:30pm to introduce our NHL/AHL affiliates @ RDV Sportsplex Ice Den - Olympic Rink

Old
05-07-2012, 06:46 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Tampa Bay and Norfolk? *crosses fingers*

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:05 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Tampa Bay and Norfolk? *crosses fingers*
You mean TB and Syracus? I would like Tampa to be affiliated but they already have the Everblades, unless Florida takes them I don't see them needing the Solar Bears.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:59 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
You mean TB and Syracus? I would like Tampa to be affiliated but they already have the Everblades, unless Florida takes them I don't see them needing the Solar Bears.
IIRC the Blades are also affiliated with the Hurricanes and the Checkers and owned at least in part by Karmanos. We could leave that affiliation with no problem.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:18 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

It ain't us from anything i've heard.

Also, doesn't make sense to announce a new affiliate while you're going to play in the ECHL finals. Also it would be TB and Syracuse, cause the Norfolk affiliation is up.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:35 AM
SEALVESTER

I don't see the Bolts dumping the Blades. I'm gonna shoot my dart in the dark and say the Panthers and Aeros. Bob-O has worked with the Panthers and as far as Houston, well, they currently aren't affiliated with anyone in the ECHL, even though they are owned by the same group as the Minnesota Wild.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

I'm thinking Syracuse/Panthers

Major4Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:16 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
I'm thinking Syracuse/Panthers
We're affiliated with Syracuse for next year

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:28 PM
chasespace

Quote:
I don't see the Bolts dumping the Blades. I'm gonna shoot my dart in the dark and say the Panthers and Aeros. Bob-O has worked with the Panthers and as far as Houston, well, they currently aren't affiliated with anyone in the ECHL, even though they are owned by the same group as the Minnesota Wild.
Hurricanes are the primary affiliate with the Everblades, that's why they play Muse over Nagle.

If Tampa was the primary affiliate elsewhere their players would be the first on the ice.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Hurricanes are the primary affiliate with the Everblades, that's why they play Muse over Nagle.

If Tampa was the primary affiliate elsewhere their players would be the first on the ice.
That's not the only reason why. Muse was the better of the two goalies throughout the course of the season. Muse was winning them games early on while Nagle was being potty trained to stop ******** the bed.

I swear, if Tampa doesn't affiliate with Orlando, and changes their AHL affiliation to Syracuse...I will not be a happy camper.

Part of me not wanting to change AHL affiliations is because of what the Admirals have accomplished there and taking that away from the fans. Although the Everblades are in the Kelly Cup Final, **** em', one year affiliation, Jack.

The out could be that Tampa only has a few guys with the Everblades, so announcing that Nagle, Landry and Piche won't be back shouldn't be too heartbreaking.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 05-08-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
We're affiliated with Syracuse for next year
There's still been no official word on that, Bobsled.

I base my "thoughts" on a meeting held at the end of March between Howard Dolgon, Rock Newman, and Bob Ohrablo. Word thru the grapevine was a few members of Panthers Management were part of that meeting.

That last part is rumor and such, but the meeting between Dolgon, Newman, and Ohrablo most certainly did take place.

Now, nothing has been divulged to the public yet either regarding the Crunch's new NHL affiliate. But if you subscribe to reading "tea leaves", nepitism, and the ol' saying "walks, quacks, looks like a duck, it must be a duck" then that's where I'm drawing my conclusions from.

What gets announced this Thursday at 2:30 should be the "tell-all" sign.

or... the "cat's" outta the bag, so to speak.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
There's still been no official word on that, Bobsled.

I base my "thoughts" on a meeting held at the end of March between Howard Dolgon, Rock Newman, and Bob Ohrablo. Word thru the grapevine was a few members of Panthers Management were part of that meeting.

That last part is rumor and such, but the meeting between Dolgon, Newman, and Ohrablo most certainly did take place.

Now, nothing has been divulged to the public yet either regarding the Crunch's new NHL affiliate. But if you subscribe to reading "tea leaves", nepitism, and the ol' saying "walks, quacks, looks like a duck, it must be a duck" then that's where I'm drawing my conclusions from.

What gets announced this Thursday at 2:30 should be the "tell-all" sign.

or... the "cat's" outta the bag, so to speak.
I'm just glad that I'm not the only one who wants to call him 'Bobsled'.

and 'nepitism' isn't quite the right word, and not just because it's speeled wrong. Nepotism has to do with family members getting favorable treatment...or Napoleon or something. Napoleon did make his brother the King of Spain, so maybe.

Something worth remembering is that at the presser where they announced the team name, Ohrablo (I think) said that the Lightning would be playing another exhibition game in Orlando. That'll be awkward if they go with the Kitties.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 05-08-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
... and 'nepitism' isn't quite the right word, and not just because it's speeled wrong.
Yep... you're right. Please substitute "nepOtism" with "associations", or how about "partnerships".

Quote:
Something worth remembering is that at the presser where they announced the team name, Ohrablo (I think) said that the Lightning would be playing another exhibition game in Orlando. That'll be awkward if they go with the Kitties.
It sure would be, wouldn't it.